Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/25/2024 10:13:00 AM EDT
After a trip to the Greenville Gun Show, and a hearty laugh at the prices on everything used, from WW1+ military arms, to Ruger 22 pistols, to a $7100 HP P7 plain jane model, I left with a full wallet and TBI from shaking my head so often.

I also did a circuit of the LGS in the area just for curiosity and comparison sake, and saw essentially the same thing.  Even with the costs associated with GunBroker, the prices at the LGS were equal or HIGHER.  Items like pre-lock Smiths, Ruger P series pistols, .22 target rifles (1930s onward), all in person pricing seems set to at least retail of similar new items, or with guns without comparable new versions, set to prices formerly reserved for historically significant pieces.  Bargains just don't seem to exist.

For an economy that is teetering on disaster, that doesn't seem to be represented by used gun prices.  

Maybe it is just in the Greenville area, as it and SC in general is doing OK economically, in comparison with other areas in the US?

I will say, judging by pricing online or in person, many years ago I should have bought $10,000 of decent SKS rifles.  If each was $125 and sold today for street prices of $625 - $1000 (so ~ $800 average), that is $64,000.  Insanity.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, most gun shows here are completely out of control.  22lr ammo for $10 a box of 50, ALL centerfire ammo starts at $25 a box.  You'd swear they were in the process of banning all guns tomorrow by the way they price em.  It's getting discouraging.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:19:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I get it. I'm pretty pissed that Burger King Whoppers used to be 99 cents, like for forever. Now they're closing in on $5 and they're even shitter now than when they were .99.

What the hell is the world coming to?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:19:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Last gun show I went to I ended up arguing with some old fogey over the price of a Ruger 10-22 international on his table...
Tag on it said $600, and I chuckled and mentioned I'd be interested at a realistic price.
He put on his most serious face, and told me if I knew anything at all about those guns I'd know they listed for $1000

That was about five years ago
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:21:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Gun shows.  Lol.  Gave up on those over a decade ago.  Last time they were decent was in the nineties.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:21:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: scopedope] [#5]
Yes.

I’ll add local gun boards. It appears that used guns are priced at MSRP+20%.

I amuse myself by looking at local prices. The Good news, several pawn shops I’ve stopped by recently have 20-30% price drops on guns that have been on the shelf since the October/November time frame.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:25:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TexasOutdoorsman:
Last gun show I went to I ended up arguing with some old fogey over the price of a Ruger 10-22 international on his table...
Tag on it said $600, and I chuckled and mentioned I'd be interested at a realistic price.
He put on his most serious face, and told me if I knew anything at all about those guns I'd know they listed for $1000

View Quote

Yeah, I pissed off the HK P7 guy when I looked at the price and said for that amount of money, I will just put it towards a select fire 9mm of some sort.  He didn't like that and said essentially the same thing about how much P7s go for.  Yes, some are quite expensive (stupidly expensive) but his was not one of the "special" ones.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:26:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I went to one a few weeks ago $10 parking $10 entry fee and everything was more than I could get it for online even if I didn’t get free shipping! No more shows for me
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:29:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Arsenalx39:
I went to one a few weeks ago $10 parking $10 entry fee and everything was more than I could get it for online even if I didn’t get free shipping! No more shows for me
View Quote

Yea, shows are stupid. I haven't been to one in at least 10 years, maybe closer to 15.

It's been bad for at least that long.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Arsenalx39:
View Quote

Only reason I went was to get a High Standard mag (OEM) and was actually successful and spent $50 on it.  Had to go by every table to find it, but I did.  The only other highlight was a guy that has a GREAT collection of early 20th century European pistols.  Old Steyrs, etc.  Pricey, but I got to fondle them, which was nice, as I have only seen a few of them in museums or on Youtube.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:31:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Jackslack:

Yea, shows are stupid. I haven't been to one in at least 10 years, maybe closer to 15.

It's been bad for at least that long.
View Quote

Yeah I would have to agree, but I was willing to pay $5-$10 just to walk around and look at guns, maybe find a deal. But. That’s  all gone now
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:34:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Every deal I've found at the gun-show happened near the front door. The reasonable sellers seldom make it much farther into the show. I've never seen a reasonable deal at a gun show table. IMO the guys who get tables are dealers selling stuff at retail, which makes sense. Or some old coot that was told by his wife that he needs to sell his accumulation, so he prices it accordingly.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:34:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By phatmax:

Yeah, I pissed off the HK P7 guy when I looked at the price and said for that amount of money, I will just put it towards a select fire 9mm of some sort.  He didn't like that and said essentially the same thing about how much P7s go for.  Yes, some are quite expensive (stupidly expensive) but his was not one of the "special" ones.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TexasOutdoorsman:

Weird flex
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#13]

i can KINDA empathize honestly

the LGS has employees, overhead, IN-STOCK inventory, etc   of course its going to be higher

PLUS -- you get to handle the ACTUAL gun you are taking home.  we all have the story of getting a gun shipped in and not being happy with its condition

so yeah -- you just gotta figure out how much premium you are willing to pay.  sometimes the 'sweet spot' can be the small hole-in-the wall gunshop.  get to know the FFL.  get deals / specials.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#14]
The gun show in Palm Beach county has ridiculous prices.  I was looking at a used mini-14 until I saw the tag that said $1200!

It seems like most of their used guns are the same cost as new guns from online.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:39:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Porkchop_Sandwiches:

Weird flex
View Quote

Not really a flex, and I don't have any plans to buy anything full auto, but the seller was immediately hostile when I asked if the price on the tag was accurate, as he had it next to several sub-1000 dollar guns.  So I said what I said. I guarantee he had to pack that gun back up and take it back to his shop.  It is a poor salesman who prickles at a person asking a question in good faith.  I didn't swear, or act uppity, shocked, or anything else, just asked if that was the price on the gun.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:41:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Look at the used AR parts sections of the EE and you'll see stuff that's been heavily used or spray painted listed for nearly new prices. It's laughable.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#17]
I have been to a few gun shows... And EVERY time I have left with just the entry fee lighter from my wallet... I have never found a "deal" at a gun show.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:46:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ARMALITE-FAN] [#18]
People over paid during the wu-flu. Now they want thier money back.
Lot of first time buyers looking to sell and pay bills.
They think thiers is new in the box and expect retail for common guns.

I go to the local gun store and see the exact model new for less than the cosignment sitting next to it. In more than a few instances thier asking price is higher than retail to make up for the store cut.

People are idiots on some things. A pawn shop owner has more than one person come in a pay intrest on a gun he has had for years. He has one guy who has paid over 30K in intrest on a common bolt action 22 long rifle. He has had it for almost 40 years. He did get it out about 20 years ago for a week and pawned it the next weekend.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:49:23 AM EDT
[#19]
It depends on the category of firearm.

The supply of some of the things you describe, like milsurp rifles, is long gone. Even a basic M91/30 Mosin Nagant is a $500 gun now because no more are coming in.

Lever action rifles are just as bad, if not worse.

I don't know about $7k, but those HK P7s are crazy expensive because, again, very few are available at any given time.

Ruger in particular has raised prices on just about everything. GP-100s now cost more than S&W 686s. The Mk series pistols have gone up a lot, and I think new pricing is pulling up used pricing like we're seeing in the pickup truck market.

A lot of guns are cheaper, though. The market is saturated with ARs and polymer pistols, and deals abound if you look around.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:49:40 AM EDT
[#20]
I went to one show last year, one guy had a GREAT selection of pre lock Smiths in the desirable barrel lengths. The prices were high, not outrageous, but definitely top $ and maybe a little bit more. Ended up being more than I wanted to spend.

Found a Firestar in 9mm that caught my eye, but thought it was a little rough for the asking price. Couldn't make a deal.

It is what it is. High prices don't upset me, I just don't pay them. I pay the entrance fee to mainly browse and see things I don't normally run across.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#21]
of course gun show fudds and gun stores will use any excuse to further TRY to fuck unsuspecting gun buyers.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:51:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#22]
A Winchester 94 30/30 used to run $300 used for 30 years, now they are easily $600 and up. And up generally being $700-800 on average.

Only cheap guns anymore are glocks and similar polymer pistols, everything else has doubled in price generally,even a damn generic plastic 10/22 is $300 used now.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:51:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Y’all will complain when all the gun shows are gone too.

I will gladly pay $10 for an afternoon of gun show even if I don’t find anything.  If nothing else, it’s cheap entertainment, an excuse to get out of the house for several hours and you get to look at guns.

I’ve found quite a few deals at the shows locally and gotten to know many of the vendors.  

Lots of the used guns at shows on the tables are selling at felon pricing which will likely stop after the new rule goes into effect.  
The deals on used guns are walking around with the seller.  

Another great thing about gun shows is finding those hard to find gems, small parts and odds and ends.

I hope the gun show is still around for many years to come.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:
Gun shows.  Lol.  Gave up on those over a decade ago.  Last time they were decent was in the nineties.
View Quote

I used to look forward to the gigantic gunshow at the Astrohall here in Houston back in the 90's.  Stacks of SKS for $50, Norinco AK for $90, Enfields for $100....Man, I miss the 80's and 90's
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:54:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By sparkyfender2:
I went to one show last year, one guy had a GREAT selection of pre lock Smiths in the desirable barrel lengths. The prices were high, not outrageous, but definitely top $ and maybe a little bit more. Ended up being more than I wanted to spend.

Found a Firestar in 9mm that caught my eye, but thought it was a little rough for the asking price. Couldn't make a deal.

It is what it is. High prices don't upset me, I just don't pay them. I pay the entrance fee to mainly browse and see things I don't normally run across.
View Quote

Yeah, it isn't upsetting and I don't "need" anything, but it is flabbergasting to see something like a presentation case S&W 25-2 in 45AR/ACP going for almost $2000 now, when I got one at an in-person auction 11 years ago, even with the shipping box, for $750.  And I was a little lightheaded spending that $750.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:56:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Wait, there's still guns shows?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:57:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: phatmax] [#28]
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:

The supply of some of the things you describe, like milsurp rifles, is long gone. Even a basic M91/30 Mosin Nagant is a $500 gun now because no more are coming in.

I don't know about $7k, but those HK P7s are crazy expensive because, again, very few are available at any given time.

Ruger in particular has raised prices on just about everything. GP-100s now cost more than S&W 686s. The Mk series pistols have gone up a lot, and I think new pricing is pulling up used pricing like we're seeing in the pickup truck market.

A lot of guns are cheaper, though. The market is saturated with ARs and polymer pistols, and deals abound if you look around.
View Quote

Modern polymer pistols and ARs are certainly the bargain choices today.

Anything else solid metal from top to bottom, old or new, is definitely in premium town.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:58:22 AM EDT
[#29]
People assume inflation means everyone will have wheelbarrows full of cash to burn. In this case, those wheelbarrows have already been handed out in 2020-2021. Now it’s just pain for a while, with people trying to fix mistakes made in 2020-2021.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:58:25 AM EDT
[#30]
I haven’t seen an actual “deal” on a firearm at a beef jerky and solar panel show since like 1998.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:03:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Laughs in Tisas!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:10:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By sparkyfender2:

View Quote

Must be nice.  The shows in the south are full of Chinese garbage optics and knives, run of the mill ARs, etc.  All at MSRP+ prices.  I swear they dedicate an entire corner of the building to the latest garbage optic company.  Absolute trash.  It's an actual rarity to actually see anything rare.  The last straw for me was when most vendors decided it was too much trouble to pack up reloading components (powder/primers specifically) and bring them to the shows.  It was nice to be able to stock up without BS hazmat shipping fees.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:13:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By buck19delta:
A Winchester 94 30/30 used to run $300 used for 30 years, now they are easily $600 and up. And up generally being $700-800 on average.

Only cheap guns anymore are glocks and similar polymer pistols, everything else has doubled in price generally,even a damn generic plastic 10/22 is $300 used now.
View Quote

Hell, IIRC you could get a "Ranger" version (cheaper birch stock) of the '94 for a tick over $200 as recently as the late nineties at Wallyworld.  In either 30/30 or .35Rem.  Wish I had bought a dozen or so.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:14:30 AM EDT
[#34]
We haven’t raised prices since we started business 7 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:24:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Macumazahn] [#35]
Greenville has always been like that.  I don't even go anymore to the shows as the pricing is unreasonable.  I can get the same thing new from Grabagun or Buds for cheaper, rather than a beat up one that someone is asking a premium for.  Ammo has always been crazy.  There was a Greek gentleman that used to sell ammo consistently at the shows, he was decent on prices, but most other places were terrible.  SGammo or any of the other online places were generally much better, not to mention that the ammo some of the folks at the shows were selling looked like it had been out in the rain with corrosion on it.  Jamil Temple Show in Columbia was somewhat better when I last went there but that has been a while.  However, PSA is so close and is like a gun show open every day!!!  Also, in Greenville, you have Cabelas and PSA both, both of which have fairly decent prices.  I'm afraid the days of having deals regularly at the gunshows has been gone for a while.  

Also, I have rarely ever seen reasonably priced milsurp stuff at the gunshows (even going back 20 years), Gunbroker is much better for that.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:26:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GiveMeBackMyBullets] [#36]
Seems that way on my local trading website. Saw a guy with a used16” PSA nitride M4 with a Holoson dot for $1100 (no lowballers). Theres a lot of heavily used over priced stuff out there right now.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#37]

Anything else solid metal from top to bottom, old or new, is definitely in premium town.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:

1911s, revolvers from companies other than Ruger, DA/SA guns seem to be holding steady, and other stuff seems to be holding steady.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:30:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CZ75_9MM] [#38]
Gun shows are great if you like bolt action shotguns with polychoke for $400+
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:31:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By sandblaster:
Laughs in Tisas!
View Quote

Already in that club!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#40]
FORGET about gun shows.  Do not attend.

My local gunshops generally are good.  

We haven't seen too much inflation honestly.  A Springfield M1A is basically the same price as it was 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:34:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JaredC1] [#41]
At Wannamachers every year I’m always looking for used guns, preferably from private party, priced at MSRP -%10-20 with no noticeable damage or flaws.

I can’t remember leaving empty handed. But the more popular the item is the harder it is to do.

I can usually do the same on Armslist in my area too though.

But Wannamachers is simply a lot of fun
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Most of the tables at the shows around here are in fact pawn shops.  Why pay to see exactly the same guns with a tacked on gun show price increase?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Gunshows have been ridiculous for over a decade with prices well over retail. I suppose people that were told gunshows were the place to get a good buy were buying them.
Some local gun shops are overpriced, one wan ted to sell a friend a used AR at over what a new one costs, it seems to be the smaller, run down ones that are the worst offenders.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Market timing is a very real concept in anything.

Be patient. Wait for the economy to pullback and the political situation to change.

When/if the housing market crashes; you will start to see bargains. When people are in fear of losing their jobs,
they stop buying discretionary items.

In spite of inflation, people still seem to think the economy is secure and they are willing to buy at these over inflated prices.
They just put it on their credit card. Thus, we have the trillion dollar plus, consumer debt!

The laws of supply and demand haven't changed. When the demand falls, prices will follow.

If you keep buying at these prices, you are adding to the problem. If you are patient and wait for the economy to pullback,
you will be rewarded.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:38:12 AM EDT
[#45]
I scored a 1975 ruger10-22 in minty condition for $200 a couple years ago at a show in Portland.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:41:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: godzillamax] [#46]
Rampant inflation for 4+ years, dollar being devalued for decades, interest rates up considerably, why anyone would be surprised this wouldn't affect the firearms industry (new or used) is beyond me.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:46:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By godzillamax:
Rampant inflation for 4+ years, dollar being devalued for decades, interest rates up considerably, why anyone would be surprised this wouldn't affect the firearms industry (new or used) is beyond me.
View Quote

New guns don't seem to be going up much at all. You can still get FN FNX tactical packs for 1100 bucks, same price as 5-6 years ago, maybe longer. Sig 1911s are virtually the same price as 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:48:23 AM EDT
[#48]
OP, the internet is a thing.

I get 15-20 gun deals everyday on email. I’d hate to be a brick and mortar store in this economy. With an increasing overhead, you either do volume or higher prices. Spring time and summer, people’s attention turns to other things. Plus only so much money to go around for the average American.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:54:56 AM EDT
[#49]
It’s been like that for a long while now. I’d guess mid-2000s after everyone realized the internet existed. Not so ironically, that’s about the last time I went to a gun show with hope of buying.

The ones around here are mostly dealers now anyway so it’s just their normal inventory in a different place
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:56:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Election looming, crime, now soon to be riots. Has anyone not learned from the past? What happens to market every election year?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top