Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2021 4:39:34 PM EDT
My wife and I are in need of a math curriculum for our 4th grade daughter.  We’ve looked at Math U See and horizons.  Math U See multiplication looks hard and horizons is common core.  

What are some other suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#1]
It depends on what she got out of the 3rd grade. You kind of need to start with what she knows now and go from there. What did her 3rd grade curriculum consist of? What does she understand well, and where could she use some extra help?
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I know a few families that have homeschooled over the years and they all used Classical Conversations. These were mostly religious folks.

Classical Conversations endorses Saxon math as a complete K-12 Curriculum. No curriculum is ever perfect, but Saxon has the history and statistics to prove that it can take a home schooled student through Algebra II and even beyond without the guidance of an expert math teacher.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#3]
We did Classical Conversations for a few years too.  We still use Saxon math, even though we use Abeka now.  I grew up on Saxon math, so it's been easy to teach the progression as we advance each year.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 1:35:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jntmjt1] [#4]
We used k12.com for our kids at this age. In 2014, K12 implemented a new common core curriculum for math and language arts; however, I was allowed to chose the original k12 math and language art curriculums. I do not know if this is still an option.

https://www.rainbowresource.com has many math curriculum choices.

https://www.khanacademy.org aligns with common core standards, but you may want to check it out to see if it meets your child's needs. Just because it aligns with the common core standards does not mean that it has changed its teaching methods. I have not used the 4th grade curriculum, but my high school children have used it to supplement complex algebra and geometry concepts. They found the videos and presentation of the information helpful in understanding concepts that their textbooks did not explain well.

https://www.abeka.com/resources/commoncore.aspx Abeka mathematics meets the common core standards but "... has chosen a different sequence of topical representation because it is more logical in presentation than what Common Core proposes."

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 8:23:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Teaching Textbooks seems to work pretty well for my kids.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 7:20:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thawntex] [#6]
I liked Math-U-See. The manipulatives are fun.

We did pre-algebra, and even I was like wow when using the manipulatives to solve problems. They give you a more thorough understanding of what you're doing, as opposed to just doing worksheets.

Wish I had learned math that way when I was a kid. I think it wouldn't sunk in better.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 9:25:39 PM EDT
[#7]
We used Saxon, but used the older curriculum. It seemed that the more recent editions were diluted as to content.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 9:37:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Switchback_Arms] [#8]
The Good and the Beautiful is awesome

My three boys love math
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:22:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 8:19:03 AM EDT
[#10]
We’ve been very happy with Saxon Math. You up grade if your kids are ahead very easily and it is no frills classic math.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 8:32:23 AM EDT
[#11]
We've been very happy with Khan Academy (free).

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/cc-fourth-grade-math

They have several math courses, not just the grade level one linked above.

We also supplement with other materials.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#12]
My wife and kids like The Good and Beautiful.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:50:51 AM EDT
[#13]
We have tried Math Mammoth, Saxon Math, and Math-U-See and we keep coming back to MUS for my three kids. It seems to click best with them in it's presentation and use of the manipulatives.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 7:54:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mohawk17:
We have tried Math Mammoth, Saxon Math, and Math-U-See and we keep coming back to MUS for my three kids. It seems to click best with them in it's presentation and use of the manipulatives.
View Quote

We always seemed to come back to Teaching Textbooks.

Life of Fred series was a hit too.

Math-U-See had too many toys for the ADHD kid

Aleks was good, if you had someone who was driven by seeing something finished (you finish a pie chart)

Learn Math Fast but, I think thats older.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top