BCM
User Panel

Page General » Golf
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/26/2024 4:58:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tanren37]
Took up golf actively last year.  Got invited to a charity tourney and remembered how much I liked the game.  So, bought some clubs, hit the range a few times a week, started on a local par 3 then did some rounds on the big course.  Finished last year with a 28 HC, chasing those sub 100's, and searching for lost balls.  

We had a couple nice days here in WA these past few weeks so the clubs came out again.  Back to the range and hit a few rounds already.  Range has Trackman so I'll warm up, play a random course for 9 holes (aggressively, to get some work with all my clubs/shots) and then work with whatever was shit in that round to finish a bucket.

First note; the range ain't the course and hitting off a mat isn't doing me any favors.  Another month or two and they'll open up the turf section, which I'll spend all my time on.

Second; I've embraced bogey golf.  The tee shot is a freebee, from there, it's a par....whatever.  

Third; trying to incorporate smart course management.  I want to advance the ball but have a little awareness of each club in the bag, my limitations and dispersion.  So, if the lie is good and there's no hazards, I'll go for it.  If there's something to give me pause, I'll split it up with short iron shots or an approach I can usually manage.  

This mornings round.

Attachment Attached File

Had some good shots, but just couldn't string them together for a single hole and as you can see a lot of blow ups.  Biggest weakness is hitting off grass and less than ideal lies, I'll thin a GW 110yds across the green or duff a 6i 40yds and then there's those 3 putts......which came after a short chip sometimes.....

Putting practice; admittingly, I skipped that part a lot last year at the range.  So this year, I'll start there.  Work long putts to <3' for 3 consecutive shots, then 10 footers until I get 3 in row.  When 3 in a row is easy, I'll go to 5.

And there was a little rain too; I didn't see the water hazard on the card.....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m sucking right now too but here goes. Take lessons. And when I practice diligently on my short game (100 yards and in) that’s when I see the biggest impact on my scores.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:12:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JCoop] [#2]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JCoop:
Last year I improved my putting a lot by spending $35 on an indoor putting mat. Best 35 bucks ever...

Look up the Izzo golf putting mat. 3'x9'.
View Quote

My wife got me a Putt-Out Mat for Christmas. Along with a Pressure putt trainer and mirror. With that and some gates I’m putting better than I ever have.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:16:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Logcutter] [#5]
I'm not a teaching pro, but it's been my experience that most hacks take too long of a backswing, have an inconsistent grip, and try to kill the ball.

Only go back as far as you can keep your left arm straight.  Get to where you make good contact.  Don't think about more than one thing while over the ball.

And learn how to putt.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:25:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Lessons from a qualified PGA pro, minimum of 6, preferably 10 over a couple of month period to include putting, chipping and sand shots. In my opinion it's better if the guy has played at a high level but that's not absolutely necessary, take a look at his resume.

Practice as much as you can in between lessons. That might run you over 1K depending upon the guy and if you choose not to afford that then go to YouTube and subscribe to guys like Eric Cogorno.

Look at the number of putts each week on the tour. The guy that wins on Sunday averages about ten or more one putts per round. Putting is critical. It's not the only thing but if you can putt, it's a lot more fun.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Logcutter:
I'm not a teaching pro, but it's been my experience that most hacks take too long of a backswing, have an inconsistent grip, and try to kill the ball.
View Quote

That’s been my exact problem as of late. No idea where it came from either.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:45:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tanren37] [#8]

Only go back as far as you can keep your left arm straight.  Get to where you make good contact.  Don't think about more than one thing while over the ball.

And learn how to putt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

And learn how to putt.

I also hip shift.  

Originally Posted By Mike_48:
Lessons from a qualified PGA pro, minimum of 6, preferably 10 over a couple of month period to include putting, chipping and sand shots. In my opinion it's better if the guy has played at a high level but that's not absolutely necessary, take a look at his resume.

Practice as much as you can in between lessons. That might run you over 1K depending upon the guy and if you choose not to afford that then go to YouTube and subscribe to guys like Eric Cogorno.

Look at the number of putts each week on the tour. The guy that wins on Sunday averages about ten or more one putts per round. Putting is critical. It's not the only thing but if you can putt, it's a lot more fun.

Have done a few lessons over the past year.  Just like anything else, some "pros" were good, others........, yeah.  

Did a chipping clinic last week, liked him a lot, showed me the split hand grip as a good swing warm up.  

The Swingtweaks thing is tempting.  Take a couple videos, they give you feedback, might be worth a try for $25.    
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:02:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I’m going to add that straight>long.

Don’t chase distance until you’re making good contact consistently.  Shorter with a known ball flight is exponentially better than long and wild with a two way miss.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I think you'd be best starting off working on your grip. It's kinda like having good tires.

There are 2 styles that work. Overlap and interlock. I started with interlock in the 80's bc that's what Jack did. FF to the late 80's and golf digest had a pic of the best tour pros at the top of their backswing... all overlap.

Tiger uses interlock. Aaron Olberholser said he didn't care what his kids teacher taught except it had to be interlock grip.

Some have a suggested that you need to see a pro. I agree in general, but IMHO golf pros fit in the same category as chiropractors and rescue dogs.

Some will be good, some will treat you like an annuity.

Some of us were admonished in Logcutter's thread for giving (unsolicited) advice. This is fair, but in the same thread he advocated the stack and tilt method.

I don't necessarily discount the S&T as it's a simpler move if you're learning later in life.

Give us an update when you choose your path.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:02:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mike_48] [#11]
Originally Posted By Arfless:
I think you'd be best starting off working on your grip. It's kinda like having good tires.

There are 2 styles that work. Overlap and interlock. I started with interlock in the 80's bc that's what Jack did. FF to the late 80's and golf digest had a pic of the best tour pros at the top of their backswing... all overlap.

Tiger uses interlock. Aaron Olberholser said he didn't care what his kids teacher taught except it had to be interlock grip.

Some have a suggested that you need to see a pro. I agree in general, but IMHO golf pros fit in the same category as chiropractors and rescue dogs.

Some will be good, some will treat you like an annuity.

Some of us were admonished in Logcutter's thread for giving (unsolicited) advice. This is fair, but in the same thread he advocated the stack and tilt method.

I don't necessarily discount the S&T as it's a simpler move if you're learning later in life.

Give us an update when you choose your path.
View Quote
Giving unsolicited advice on a discussion board without seeing the person swing is not easy as each person is different but I would still recommend several YT videos that I've seen in the past. There are many tried & true movements that almost every good player does since the game was invented.  Geometry doesn't lie when it comes to swing path, position of the club face and the resulting ball flight.  There are some good videos that offer possible solutions to a specific problem or at least give a player a list of things NOT to do.  Even then, some videos say the exact opposite and contradict each other so it can be confusing.

I'm converting to S&T because it provided help with things I was not doing correctly.  I find it relatively easy to do and consistency is better.  I may not incorporate all of it and I'm still working on some things but my contact has really improved.  Nothing feels better than a perfect push draw.

As far as teaching pros go, I would agree that not all are good.  I saw the assistant at the course I was practicing at today teaching a 10 finger baseball grip to a couple of kids and he had their address position completely messed up.  It was disappointing.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:20:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File

If you take the time to actually do what he says, especially the grip, you'll see results.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#13]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/543436/IMG_20240329_071922392_jpg-3172587.JPG

If you take the time to actually do what he says, especially the grip, you'll see results.
View Quote

Look how cupped his wrist is. I'll post a photo of a hogan swing sequence my dad has in his boat house on Easter.  He's  got a smoke in his lips that never moves off the ball.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:42:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I've never been a fan of the cupped wrist at the top and from what I've read over the years, Hogan did that to fight a hook.  His tucking of the trail elbow and external rotation of the shoulder is solid gold though.  He also had a great extension on the follow-through.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Mike_48:
I've never been a fan of the cupped wrist at the top and from what I've read over the years, Hogan did that to fight a hook.  His tucking of the trail elbow and external rotation of the shoulder is solid gold though.  He also had a great extension on the follow-through.
View Quote

I pretty much try to mimic Hogan's swing, but with a neutral wrist at the top.  Heck, neutral wrist the whole way.  And no further back than I can go with my left arm straight.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:44:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I’ve played Cedarcrest a couple times. I lived in Mill Creek before fleeing to AZ.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:44:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Sean124:
I’ve played Cedarcrest a couple times. I lived in Mill Creek before fleeing to AZ.
View Quote

A local!

What was your favorite up here?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:01:30 AM EDT
[#18]
When you get on a real course again, and if you can ( maybe have to go to a smaller course ) play two or three balls. Wherever your worst shot lands, hit both or all three from the worst spot. Do that for 9 holes. Do it again, and repeat it as often as you can. That alone will train you to get out of the worst spots on the course. It's a hard way to play, but you'll be much better at hitting out of the rough, the woods, the traps etc. Your game will improve. It's a great way to knock strokes off your game.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:20:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sean124] [#19]
Originally Posted By Tanren37:

A local!

What was your favorite up here?
View Quote

My favorite course in the area is Broadmoor Country Club. I also love The Home Course down by Ft. Lewis.

I have a soft spot for Willows Run since I’ve been playing there since it opened.

I’m heading up in a few weeks to see my dad and am really hoping the weather cooperates.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:54:23 AM EDT
[#20]
What about elbow orientation? My leading elbow had always been pointed like I was ready to give blood, yesterday I tried rotating it inward while leaving my grip alone. That, along with consciously ending my backswing when my lead arm would start to break, had some interesting results. More distance (that I don't think can be attributed to the warm weather), and I went from fighting a slice to sending everything straight left.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:18:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By skinny79:
What about elbow orientation? My leading elbow had always been pointed like I was ready to give blood, yesterday I tried rotating it inward while leaving my grip alone. That, along with consciously ending my backswing when my lead arm would start to break, had some interesting results. More distance (that I don't think can be attributed to the warm weather), and I went from fighting a slice to sending everything straight left.
View Quote

After I "fixed" my slice, I had the lefts last year.  I've been working on getting back to a one-way miss and playing a fade.  Hence Hogan's 5 lessons book, which should be named "how not to hook"

For me, grip and wrist position at the top make a lot of difference.  

Stopping the backswing before your left elbow bends will really help your ball striking consistency, but you may need stiffer shafts than you think if the transition is quick.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:52:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Arfless] [#22]
Attachment Attached File

Here's a crappy pic of the hogan sequence.  I'll get a better one tomorrow.

Eta: he's so still thru the ball
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:06:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JimmyAR] [#23]
I live up here in Bellingham and I don't play as much as I used to but would love to join you for a round sometime.  I have played there a few times over the years it can be a lets say interesting course.  LOL   I just need enough heads up and prefer earlier rounds especially as it gets warmer.     PM if interested.

Some nice course up here as well.   Lake Padden and North Bellingham are nice course as is Avalon.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#24]

After I "fixed" my slice, I had the lefts last year.  I've been working on getting back to a one-way miss and playing a fade.  Hence Hogan's 5 lessons book, which should be named "how not to hook"

Stopping the backswing before your left elbow bends will really help your ball striking consistency, but you may need stiffer shafts than you think if the transition is quick.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By skinny79:

I wonder about shaft flex. I figure at almost 45, regular should be fine. But I did chop a lot of firewood growing up...

I need to grab a swing caddie or similar device.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:19:45 AM EDT
[#25]
IMO, you need a shaft profile that fits your "regular" swing.

Trying to take a little off or swing a little harder usually works out poorly for double digit handicappers.

I was fit into stiff graphite, which really surprised me in my irons, but it's been awesome.  Apparently my relatively short swing = harsh transition.  It works, and it damn sure isn't due to my fast swing speed.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:32:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#27]
This plus tempo are critical for me hitting it straight. If I start rushing my backswing I am not consistent. If I take my time and have a controlled backswing I am straight most of the time.
View All Quotes

Trying to take a little off or swing a little harder usually works out poorly for double digit handicappers.

This plus tempo are critical for me hitting it straight. If I start rushing my backswing I am not consistent. If I take my time and have a controlled backswing I am straight most of the time.

This is what I focus on, that and proper weight shift hip turn and swinging through the ball.   All easier said than done sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:51:13 AM EDT
[#28]
OP,,I learned how to play at five years of age. Carried a 3-4 handicap for most of my life.

1) Get a small basket and place it in your backyard. Practice chipping into it from different distances of 3-30 feet. THIS will drop 6-8 shots off your game quickly
2) WHEN you are on the green with a long putt imagine the hole being three feet in diameter and THEN putt. THIS will reduce three putts QUICKLY.
3) From the Tee Box focus ONLY on landing in the fairway. 200 yards and on the short grass beats 290 yards and in the trees EVERY TIME.
4) Practice on the range. It's IMPOSSIBLE to build a swing on the course.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:59:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By JimmyAR:
I live up here in Bellingham and I don't play as much as I used to but would love to join you for a round sometime.  I have played there a few times over the years it can be a lets say interesting course.  LOL   I just need enough heads up and prefer earlier rounds especially as it gets warmer.     PM if interested.

Some nice course up here as well.   Lake Padden and North Bellingham are nice course as is Avalon.
View Quote

Anytime, be great to go out with a fellow arfcommer.

Did Semiahmoo last year up your way.  Beautiful course.  Only had one ball in the bag left by 11, put away the driver and played it out with irons.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:02:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Logcutter] [#30]
The best part of getting good at your short game is how demoralizing it is to people you play against.

I'm mediocre at best of the tee, but work on the short game quite a bit.

In league, when you scramble with an up and down to tie or win the hole, it grinds on the opponent.  Especially if they're a long hitter who missed the green from 130 yards after a 280+ yard drive in the fairway and you missed from 200 out after a short drive.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:12:01 AM EDT
[#31]
In for the fun.

Has op watched Tin Cup for lessons yet?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:16:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By ACEB36TC:
OP,,I learned how to play at five years of age. Carried a 3-4 handicap for most of my life.

1) Get a small basket and place it in your backyard. Practice chipping into it from different distances of 3-30 feet. THIS will drop 6-8 shots off your game quickly
2) WHEN you are on the green with a long putt imagine the hole being three feet in diameter and THEN putt. THIS will reduce three putts QUICKLY.
3) From the Tee Box focus ONLY on landing in the fairway. 200 yards and on the short grass beats 290 yards and in the trees EVERY TIME.
4) Practice on the range. It's IMPOSSIBLE to build a swing on the course.
View Quote

Thanks for those tips
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By TxLewis:
In for the fun.

Has op watched Tin Cup for lessons yet?
View Quote

Mostly been studying Caddyshack
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:14:24 PM EDT
[#34]

Mostly been studying Caddyshack
View Quote

That's a great documentary on county club life
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:50:41 PM EDT
[#35]
The single most important thing to do is learn to grip the club correctly. If you don’t learn the grip, you will never be a good golfer. It will always cause problems. Mastering the grip will solve and prevent numerous problems later.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#36]
I put a grip trainer grip on my VR golf club handset holder to play Golf5 eClub with.

It has made my grip on real clubs neutral and consistent.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 10:25:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:30:41 AM EDT
[#38]
I put a grip trainer grip on my VR golf club handset holder to play Golf5 eClub with.

It has made my grip on real clubs neutral and consistent.
View Quote

You use a power grip on driver or neutral all around?
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#39]

You use a power grip on driver or neutral all around?
View Quote

I was hooking driver last year, so I'm trying a straight up neutral grip on everything.  

It's taken out the left miss so far, and I'll start messing with going to draw settings and weight (Paradym slider) on the driver over the next few weeks.

If I'm still slicing some instead of fading I'll think about a little grip adjustment with the big stick.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Attachment Attached File

Better pic. Look at the cig in his lips
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 4:43:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Attachment Attached File

Better pic. Look at the cig in his lips.

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Arfless:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/211389/1000006756_jpg-3174810.JPG

Better pic. Look at the cig in his lips.

View Quote

That's a great series, cool.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:17:12 PM EDT
[#43]

I pretty much try to mimic Hogan's swing, but with a neutral wrist at the top.  Heck, neutral wrist the whole way.  And no further back than I can go with my left arm straight.

View Quote

I just try to use the same swing every time.  Good, bad, isn't important.  Repeatable is.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By dirtyboy:

I just try to use the same swing every time.  Good, bad, isn't important.  Repeatable is.
View Quote

My best round was played with a 40 yard slice on every drive a long time ago.

A one way miss is manageable.  A two way miss is pure evil.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:17:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By optimator:
I’m sucking right now too but here goes. Take lessons. And when I practice diligently on my short game (100 yards and in) that’s when I see the biggest impact on my scores.
View Quote

What he said on lessons.  Then don't go look for some yahoo on youtube (or here!) telling you something different.

Golf is a game of shrinking mistakes and trying to put a tourniquet on bleeding vs trying to shoot an 11 (on a 10-pt scale) for your next shot.  The game is a lot easier, the closer you can get.  Then, just hit the green.  Somewhere.  Doesn't matter where.  Your worst putt is likely going to end up much closer than your best chip.

On the short game, you need one. But it's pretty low hanging fruit, with a low ceiling.  All you're trying to do is get on the green.  That's it.  Great if you can get on in 1-putt range.  You probably can't.  That's OK, I usually can't either.  But I can get on in two putt range usually, and a bogey isn't half bad.  What you don't want is taking like two chips, a sand shot, and three putts to get down.

Putting, master speed, and try to get your long putts within one putt range, usually 3' or less.  This is tough.  Especially with uphill and downhill.  Spend some time on the putting green, and learn how far back is 10', 20', 40' etc...  I don't care if it's short, only that it's close.

Approach play, get really good at not trying to hit the hell out of it.  Like easy, consistent 3/4 swings.  A 7-iron you know goes 151, beats the hell out of one that sometimes goes 168 and sometimes 182.  Take enough club, and just get on the green.  

A golf shot pattern is like a shotgun pattern.  What you're trying to do is find an aiming point where little to none of that pattern goes into a penalty area, and most of it ends up on the green or fairway.  That's it.  Avoid penalties and hit greens and most of the scoring will take care of itself, once you have a basic short game and putting game.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#46]
My swing was WAY too upright. Finding a better, flatter swing plane helped get rid of the slicing, topping, chunking.

Minimizing lateral slide in my backswing (i.e. - keeping my weight "inside" my back foot) was the biggest help to my long game. "Turn, turn, turn, turn". I also discovered that I was way more consistent when I focused on making as long and smooth a swing as I could, rather than trying to hit it hard (which led to the next point).

With mid-short irons, if I was in between clubs (or thought I was), I figured out that going with the longer club and trying to swing smoother helped me wind up on a lot more greens. This was contrary to the advice I was getting from playing buddies and even a couple of pros, who were telling me to take the shorter club and go after it. Trying to muscle the ball screwed up my rhythm, which I found for me was WAY more important.

Also, as mentioned above, straight > long. I used to play at a local muni after work and would almost always wind up playing with an older gentleman or two, and without fail they were 30-50 yards shorter than me off the tee, but dead center of the fairway on every tee shot, and they managed to score better than me on almost every par 4. They didn't typically putt as well as I did, so it wasn't rocket science to figure out what the difference was. Trying to fade a 4-iron from under a tree branch to keep it low and still have a chance to run onto the green is not a recipe for success. I got really good at hitting trouble shots, but having to hit those shots less often will drastically improve your scoring.

Lastly, off the tee, play to the distance of your best short iron when you can. Say you hit your 8-iron 130 on the button every time. Try to play from the tee so that your approach to the green will be about 130.  On shorter par 4s, this translates to not hitting driver off every tee. On par 5s, it's not always stretching your 3-wood to the maximum to go for the green in two. It's not always possible, but on the holes where you can do it, it will help a lot with your confidence because you know can nail your approach to the green with no stress.

I really need to dust off my clubs...
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Sevenator:

View Quote

Yes, yes you do
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Sevenator:
My swing was WAY too upright. Finding a better, flatter swing plane helped get rid of the slicing, topping, chunking.

Minimizing lateral slide in my backswing (i.e. - keeping my weight "inside" my back foot) was the biggest help to my long game. "Turn, turn, turn, turn". I also discovered that I was way more consistent when I focused on making as long and smooth a swing as I could, rather than trying to hit it hard (which led to the next point).

With mid-short irons, if I was in between clubs (or thought I was), I figured out that going with the longer club and trying to swing smoother helped me wind up on a lot more greens. This was contrary to the advice I was getting from playing buddies and even a couple of pros, who were telling me to take the shorter club and go after it. Trying to muscle the ball screwed up my rhythm, which I found for me was WAY more important.

Also, as mentioned above, straight > long. I used to play at a local muni after work and would almost always wind up playing with an older gentleman or two, and without fail they were 30-50 yards shorter than me off the tee, but dead center of the fairway on every tee shot, and they managed to score better than me on almost every par 4. They didn't typically putt as well as I did, so it wasn't rocket science to figure out what the difference was. Trying to fade a 4-iron from under a tree branch to keep it low and still have a chance to run onto the green is not a recipe for success. I got really good at hitting trouble shots, but having to hit those shots less often will drastically improve your scoring.

Lastly, off the tee, play to the distance of your best short iron when you can. Say you hit your 8-iron 130 on the button every time. Try to play from the tee so that your approach to the green will be about 130.  On shorter par 4s, this translates to not hitting driver off every tee. On par 5s, it's not always stretching your 3-wood to the maximum to go for the green in two. It's not always possible, but on the holes where you can do it, it will help a lot with your confidence because you know can nail your approach to the green with no stress.

View Quote

Thanks for writing that out, great points to incorporate.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Get one lesson a week and go to the range twice a week at minimum after your lesson.

Two lessons and at least 4 range trips in between rounds.

After about 3 months start incorporating playing lessons into it.

You’ll be 15 or below in no time at all.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 3:00:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tanren37] [#50]
Out on the course again today.

Back 9 was getting plugged and sanded, so went twice around the front for a 93.

Attachment Attached File

With soft conditions, I hit at least 10% shorter than range distances.  First three holes were shit with a blow up on 3.  Sliced my 6i and it took a bad hop off the path out into the 6th fairway.  

Had some decent shots on 4 and 5, but fucked it up with 3 putts, I'll blame the sandy greens.  Two good shots to a GIR on 6, then 3 putted for sweet bogey, but then....birdie on 7.  Golf is easy.    

Attachment Attached File

Second time around, same shit start on 1 & 2.  Went a little cleaner on 3 and then started looking good with a couple fairway drives and GIR's, but again, 3 putts ruin the hole.  

Pretty sure I know what I need to do.  Get a clean drive on the fairway to 230 or so, and then just hit it within 3' of the pin.  No problem.  

Got a 3 hole play along lesson booked for next week, we'll see what I can pick up.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page General » Golf
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top