Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2024 6:55:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SDeadeye]
I usually don't have much trouble finding replacement motors as long as I have the data plate info, but this one is tough it seems.  It's from a 2007(ish) Lennox Healthy Climate HRV-150 air exchange ventilation unit.  I've found similar motors, but they all seem to have 1/2" dia. shafts instead of 3/8".  I'd even settle for a 5/16" shaft that I could put a sleeve on.  Any ideas or leads would be appreciated!  Otherwise I'll have to pull it apart and see if I can lube the "bearings" in there at all or if they're just toast.  It ran but was pretty noisy before I finally quit using the unit last fall.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:31:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd imagine that the bearings are standard deep groove ball bearings that are either 62xx or 63xx series bearings.  They are easy to obtain.  The wires to the run switch can be somewhat tricky to remove, but the motor otherwise comes apart fairly easily.  Pulling the bearings off the fairly long shafts may present some challenges for an individual, but it is no problem for a motor shop.  

The reason you are having trouble finding an exact replacement is that (like much of modern equipment) the motor has changes from standard frames, specifically, to prevent you from finding an inexpensive replacement.  You are to buy the factory replacement part which may not be available anymore. This, in turn, leaves you with "no other option" than to buy a new unit.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ArimoDave:
I'd imagine that the bearings are standard deep groove ball bearings that are either 62xx or 63xx series bearings.  They are easy to obtain.  The wires to the run switch can be somewhat tricky to remove, but the motor otherwise comes apart fairly easily.  Pulling the bearings off the fairly long shafts may present some challenges for an individual, but it is no problem for a motor shop.  

The reason you are having trouble finding an exact replacement is that (like much of modern equipment) the motor has changes from standard frames, specifically, to prevent you from finding an inexpensive replacement.  You are to buy the factory replacement part which may not be available anymore. This, in turn, leaves you with "no other option" than to buy a new unit.
View Quote

Yeah, from what I've been able to find so far it seems like it's changed part numbers once or twice since it was new.  The latest version from Lennox looks to be about $425...
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:12:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I've drilled fan hubs to adapt to larger shafts.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#6]
That has double blower wheels on it doesn't it?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:26:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By fxntime:
View Quote

Yes it does.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:32:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SDeadeye:

Yes it does.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SDeadeye:
Originally Posted By fxntime:

Yes it does.

Yeah, those are a total bitch to find, you'll probably have to find a GE made one. Genteq used to make one but it looks to be discontinued or not available right now.

Lennox is a bitch to work with, they want their $$$$ for Dave's gold plated coveralls.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:47:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:53:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ZW17:
I don’t have time to look up the diameter of the old motor, but this is our go to universal for things like fan coils, PTACs, etc…

This motor covers a lot of bases

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Century-748-5-4-Speed-Double-Shaft-Fan-Blower-Motor-Less-Base-120V-1550-RPM-1-6-1-8-1-10-1-12-HP
View Quote

Doesn't have 3/8 shafts. I wonder if OP could replace the blower wheels and change over to 1/2 shaft blower wheels which is common from 3/8ths which isn't. That way he could use the motor you listed. I've done similar in the past with some wonky off branded ''NLA'' stuff.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:27:47 AM EDT
[#11]
from my quick searching thats a 42 frame sized motor.

drilling the hub in the blower wheel to 1/2 might be your only option here if you dont want OEM.

fuck Lennox.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:45:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, 5" dia. motor.  I'm not above drilling out the hubs in the blower wheels for a 1/2" shaft.  This whole system is coming up on 18 years old, so I am guessing its days are numbered anyways.  Although I hope it'll surprise me and keep on kicking for another 5 years...

I may pull this motor apart just for fun and see what the bearings look like inside before I get too crazy with ordering a new motor and hitting the drill press.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#13]
And continuing with the Lennox is bastards theme...seems like they went for bearings in the motor that are a metric OD with an imperial ID...6201-ZZ-1/2.  Relatively easy to find thanks to the internet, but ffs how hard did they have to try to make this a super special single purpose single source motor to screw over the homeowner...

Side note, the top bearing in the motor was shot.  Sounds like it's full of gravel.  About a year and a half ago I figured out that the guys that installed this system forgot/didn't put a backdraft damper in the exhaust air duct that goes to the vent on the back side of the house.  So whenever we had a strong NW wind, which is basically all the time in ND, it was pushing air down the vent into the air exchanger.  The top blower wheel was full of dirt and grit and dead bugs that came in that way.  

Hopefully once I put a couple new bearings on we'll be good as new.  For $15 instead of $450.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Both lennox and Trane ARE assholes when it comes to their F'ed up replacement parts and pricing. It's why you don't ever see me recommend them. It's not that they are ''bad'' per se but that down the road, you will very likely get f'ed either financially or technically because they damn well don't want you to work on ''their'' stuff yourself.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:49:52 PM EDT
[#15]
O.K.  This explains the very few odd ball bearings that I've encountered.  But, to grind the i.d. to 1/2 inch from 12mm really does not make much sense.  It would be better to use a 6102 bearing and make the shaft fit 15mm while maintaining the same 32mm housing bore.

If it were my motor, I'd make a sleeve to do just that.  But, I do that kind of thing for a living only on much larger machines: 50 hp and up.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:08:28 PM EDT
[#16]
2 new bearings later, we're back in business.  It's running as quiet and smooth as when it was new, and about $438 cheaper than buying a new motor from Lennox.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Last year I needed to replace the blower motor in my furnace. I took a trip down to the motor re-builder who had a motor on the shelf but the shaft was to short. He took it apart and stuck it in a press and swapped out the shafts. I said damn all the years I have messed with electric motor I didn't know you could swap shafts by pressing them out. I was there less than an hour and left with a new motor and a couple of start caps as well
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:01:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ohiogators] [#18]
This is why Lennox and Trane are the only equipment manufacturers that I tell people to avoid.
Top Top