Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2023 9:54:55 AM EDT
I'm wanting to get into some off roading/overlanding. Nothing hard core.   I have it narrowed down to either 3rd or 4th gen 4runner or 1gen Sequoia.   My only concern with the Sequoia is the approach and departure angle.  With a lift after aftermarket bumper is that even anything to worry about?
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:12:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:54:28 AM EDT
[#2]
"Nothing hard-core "

Then go to the comfort side. Because if you aren't going "hard-core" you'll find yourself wanting for comfort more than capabilities.

My principal rig is a 2020 Gladiator Rubicon,  checks all of the appropriate off road capability boxes, I built it for the job, it does the job.
My back up was until about 2 weeks ago a 2021 Power Wagon, I replaced with a 2023 Wagoneer S2 with advanced all terrain package (skid plates, rear locker, 2 speed transfer case, air suspension)

Reality is that the vast ,overwhelming amount of my time "overlanding" is spent on pavement or improved surfaces (gravel, dirt whatever) and actual off road use that warrants the capabilities is a tiny fraction of my time. I found myself wanting for a bigger more powerful unit that still retained off road capabilities consistent with my use case. I wanted to be able to sleep inside of it when circumstances dictate(I'm 6'6")

If you are going to be running established trails,forest service road,BLM, National Parks,etc. then weight your decision with that information and get the more comfortable vehicle it will have all the capabilities you will use.

If you just want a shiny bauble that screams "I'm an overlander!" because you dig it then do that.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:55:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By intheburbs:
What's more important?  Offroading or overlanding?

Offroading - 4runner
Overlanding - Sequoia

Myself, having had small (2-door S10 Blazer), medium (three JKUs) and large (3/4-ton Suburban) vehicles for playing offroad, I prefer the larger one so as to better fit my gear.

I'm not a rock-crawler, so I'm willing to compromise some nimbleness for cargo-carrying and space.  Nice to be able to comfortably sleep in the back if needed.
View Quote

I agree.  The large GM SUVs can be modified to the extent that only the craziest rock crawling is an issue for them.  Drivetrain/Power train mods are endless and cheaper than other platforms.

That said, I've always really been interested in the Sequoia platform since a buddy had a new one back in 2003. If I had to pick a Toyota platform this would be it because they feel more like a Tahoe.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 11:37:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: indwelling] [#4]
No I don't need anything that screems look at me I'm cool cause I look the part. Lol. To old for that.😁.   I do plan on doing some trails in Moab UT and some in Colorado at some point.    Hmm maybe I'll look more into the Sequoia.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Series 80 Landcruiser or comparable Lexus.  Solid Axles, Triple locked.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#6]
What about the 2nd gen Tahoe compared to the Sequoia?
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By indwelling:
What about the 2nd gen Tahoe compared to the Sequoia?
View Quote

I'm not a fan of the Toyotas mainly due to my height and the way they sit.  IMO the 00-06 (specifically 03-06) GM full sized suvs are the sweet spot for what you are wanting to do.  The aftermarket is there to do a mild build or go wild.  The IFS isn't the greatest off road but the comfort and cargo carrying capacity is great especially with the suburban.  

They have just enough comfort for a daily driver but still stout enough when some of the common areas are addressed to be reliable.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 2:04:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10-8DoWork] [#8]
I have very little experience in this area but we have a 2010 Trail 4Runner. It has handled all of the trails I've done with ease and is still super comfortable for the long drives to and from. It's pretty much stock except for KO2 tires and frame sliders.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that an off-road oriented Toyota is hard to beat for a novice like me. We did the Alpine Loop out in Colorado for the first trip in that truck and there's some sketchy parts. The 4Runner made me look like a pro lol.

I saw that you are looking at a Sequoia. Probably a great truck but I would think it might be a little big for some spots on the above trail. Not impossible but would make it tricky.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 7:45:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 3rd gen 4Runner and love its versatility. I followed a bunch of built 80s around in the woods last month, then took it on a 2700 mile road trip a few weeks later. It's decent on gas considering the big stupid tires and armor, highly capable off road, and small enough to easily whip into parallel parking spots at the mall.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a 2018 Tacoma TRD OR and a 2022 4Runner Trail.

Depends on what you want to do with it.

While you can take a full size to a lot of places it’s nice to have a mid sized vehicle on the shelf roads and the lighter weight of a mid sized is also a bonus.

Can’t go wrong with any of your choices.

If I was going to get another an older Overlander I would look into an older Lexus GX 470 and 460.

Get Lexus luxury with Land Cruiser Prado capabilities.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 10:31:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By -Ascent-:
I have a 2018 Tacoma TRD OR and a 2022 4Runner Trail.

Depends on what you want to do with it.

While you can take a full size to a lot of places it’s nice to have a mid sized vehicle on the shelf roads and the lighter weight of a mid sized is also a bonus.

Can’t go wrong with any of your choices.

If I was going to get another an older Overlander I would look into an older Lexus GX 470 and 460.

Get Lexus luxury with Land Cruiser Prado capabilities.
View Quote

I bought a GX470 about two years ago. Haven't been on dirt as much as I wanted, but stock I did a decent forest service road and will be redoing it this weekend. About 100 mile loop in the N. Ga mountains.

Since then I've got about a 2.5" lift and new tires so it should be much more comfy. Downside is gas mileage, kinda small (but can still sleep in back with all rear seats removed). It was about 9200 w/ 240k miles (maybe overpaid). But now has rock sliders, headers, hidden winch, awning, rear table, new bilstein 6112/5160 suspension, grom vline for carplay. I'd like a drawer/sleeping platform in the back eventually.

find one with good maintenance history, low to no rust, and buy with confidence. Non Nav (if you can), avoid the pearl white (paint recall), check to see if dash was replaced under recall (they crack bad).

Link Posted: 11/30/2023 6:59:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: STJ] [#12]
Anyting not overly big on 33s with a transfer case, rear locker and a winch will take you most anywhere you would want to go that would not cause possible body damage "character".
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 10:00:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Well I’m going to suggest a different route. Overland rig get something that will tow a trailer. For actual fun off roading get a buggy like a Polaris Razor. The buggy will ride so much better even the four seat version. Tires are a bit cheaper as well as accessories. They have awesome roll cages and far better suspension. Plus more and more trails are going with a width limit. And those trails are fun on a four wheeler or small side by side.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:42:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ErikTaylor] [#14]
I enjoy a wrangler/trailer combo. It’s the best of both worlds, at least for me. With the trailer you don’t have set up/break down camp every time you want to take you vehicle somewhere, grated if you’re using a roof top tent.

Link Posted: 2/4/2024 9:58:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Attachment Attached File

This is what I pull with my Jeep Wrangler when deer hunting. If I take the four wheeler I have to use the one ton. I’m not sure if the Ford Ranger would pull it with the four wheeler. I need to get electric brakes on it and see. But for quick hunting trips it’s nice. Plus it doubles as storage for hauling my stuff. And it’s small enough I didn’t need to build a shed to store it under. I just use the shed I have.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By thezentree:
I have a 3rd gen 4Runner and love its versatility. I followed a bunch of built 80s around in the woods last month, then took it on a 2700 mile road trip a few weeks later. It's decent on gas considering the big stupid tires and armor, highly capable off road, and small enough to easily whip into parallel parking spots at the mall.
View Quote

I second this. What's marvelous machine. Love mine.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:08:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Casmirblue633:
Series 80 Landcruiser or comparable Lexus.  Solid Axles, Triple locked.
View Quote

or a 100 series, or 2hundo, LX570, maybe LS swapped 60 series. 70 series?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:45:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: foursixty] [#18]
1979 Ford Bronco.

ETA: w/557cid big-block Ford.  C6 trans.  Trac-loks front and rear.  Will get 4.5mpg, and go damn near anywhere.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#19]

@indwelling

Any updates ??

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:07:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By IdahoPCCinc:

@indwelling

Any updates ??

View Quote

I ended up getting a  07 4runner.  Got a decent deal on it I guess lol.  It actually saved me with that big snow storm we got here.  Well big snow storm for TN. lol  I done a lot of work around and in the engine compartment to give the 1gr-fe engine the best chance to go another 100k.  I also got a lot of service record with it.  No rust on the frame which is a big plus for toyotas. :)  Just replace the front shocks with bilstein 5100.  I still need to do the rear.  I want to add a rear locker at some point.  Just slowly getting her together.  I wanted a landcruiser or lx470 but they expensive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top