Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2023 6:48:34 PM EDT
I have a REI DRT 1.1. Their basement intro mountain bike. I’d like to upgrade the forks. I only spend $488 on the whole bike so I’m not really interested in spending money on something like Fox. I ride mainly on improved trails and use it for a security side job on asphalt.

What are some things to consider when choosing and what forks are worth the money for a budget ride?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:01:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd probably just look at a slightly upgraded bike used and sell yours to offset.

Used bikes are a dime a dozen from COVID.

I got a $5900 bike with 4 miles on it for $3k cash.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:36:18 PM EDT
[#2]
That’s going to be tough.  Might as well find a cheap one on eBay if you are set on it.   Do your homework on fitment.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Not worth the upgrade, save the money for the next bike
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 8:23:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Looking at a Giant Fathom 2 29” vs  Roscoe 7 29”

Any opinion
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 8:54:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PrincipsPistol] [#5]
Not instantly familiar with either, but a quick look at the fathom 2 online; decent entry level rig, Deore drivetrain is adequate, geometry looks modern, price is right. In general Giant bikes are a good value.
 Their full suspension rigs are on sale now too, some killer deals. Not sure if you think it'd be worth it to you, but FS bikes are pretty great these days. If you think you'd ever get into trail riding, it'l might be worth it.

Giant FS bikes

ETA.
The Trek looks basically comparable, Sram instead of Shimano, but the Giant has slightly more reach, a bit slacker headtube and a dash shorter chainstay length, a bit more progressive geometry than the Trek.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top