Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2022 9:20:17 PM EDT
Hey all,
I am an avid nearshore and offshore fisherman in the north west Florida pan handle. When I say avid I mean, if the boat will make it with little or no chance of death,  I'm going.

I've always wanted to take up spearfishing, in that area I could hunt very well in 30-60' of water. There are many many marine predators in the area, the biggest are bulls, duskys, tigers and the occasional but rare white. I'd definitely find some people in the area to go with while I learned the ropes of how to react and not get attacked by a shark.

So, what gear would I generally need to start with in a buy-once cry-once scenario? I watch a great deal of spearfishing videos in the area from some very talented guys so I'm kind of getting the "dont get eaten" down but knowing how these sharks react through experience is obviously best.  

I'm not a diver so I have to get qualified, buy my gear and get started, no rush as I have a place down there I visit often and plan on retiring to.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 11:26:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't claim to be super experienced and I don't spearfish but my general advice is to only purchase "personal" gear that your instructor will expect you to have and that you typically take with you when going somewhere that rents gear. This would be your mask, snorkel, and fins (including booties if diving open-heeled fins). Rent the rest of the gear from your local dive shop for the training. Once you're certified you'll have a better idea of how the gear "fits" and what features will be important for the diving you intend to do. You can then make a much more educated decision before spending thousands of dollars on gear that is uncomfortable or has features you'll never use. For example if you're only going to be diving with this gear in relatively shallow waters in Florida then the performance of your regulators in near-freezing conditions probably isn't super high on your priority list. Also consider the maintenance of the gear and how often you plan to actually use it. In some cases renting from the local dive shop can be more economical than making large purchases.

Of course I had a great experience with my local dive shop, YMMV.

(AOW, Nitrox, Drysuit diver that mostly dives quarries in the northeast but also has a few Ft Lauderdale wreck / reef dives)
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 7:32:21 AM EDT
[#2]
OP, I don’t spearfish either - I’m a Great Lakes wreck and cave diver, and just finished my first rebreather class a few weeks ago.

I will say you’re in FL and there will be a huge used gear  market. Ask here and the guys will advise on what you’re looking at.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 4:18:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I would recommend first of all, once you get certified, don't spear and just get experience in the water.  You need to be adept with your trim( bouyancy) and comfortable in the water before you start slaying stuff.
I am working with a friend who is doing just that right now.  He is not ready yet after 15ish dives.

When you do get certified, don't buy anything related to dive computers or bcd(your harness that holds the tank).  The type of gun you use will come into play here.  If you are reaching in a hole to grab a fish, anything on your wrist can get in the way (I use a wrist mount computer fwiw)

You will need to figure out what type of gun you prefer....hip or chest load, or foot (pneumatic)
Chest is designed for freedivers.  Hip loading guns (with longer but stock) are designed for SCUBA.  Of course both can be used in either application.  Pneumatics, well, can be a pita to load (for me anyway), but are poweful and sound like a .38 spl going off.
There is a ton of other options, reel, open or closed muzzle, free shafting etc.

I would recoomend not getting anything shorter than 48".  This is another
as how guns are measured vary.

Sharks?  If I drop and see a bull or two that stick around, I won't shoot.
PSD's that slip on the end of your shaft are an option.  I don't use them, but poking a shark with a loaded shaft works, sometimes.  I have been pushed several yards by a shark between my legs while I pressed the shaft to his head.  Shaft was in place, but not loaded.

It's a great sport. I am selective though, shooting things I like turning into tacos.
Oh, IDing and measuring them underwater is a challenge.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 11:01:29 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks all!
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top