Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/25/2024 2:55:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople]
Source

"Hertz (NASDAQ: HTZ) reported its earnings for the first quarter of 2024 today, announcing that it is continuing to lose money on its electric vehicle investment and plans to dump even more EVs from its fleet.

Hertz said it had increased the number of EVs it will let go of by 10,000 units, now planning to sell 30,000 of its purchased electric cars this year. In January, it said it would get rid of 20,000 units after it felt $245 million of incremental net depreciation on the value of its EV fleet.

The losses continued in Q1. Hertz said it incurred a $195 million charge to vehicle depreciation to write down the EVs held for sale. However, vehicle depreciation as a whole increased by $588 million, or $339 on a per-unit basis."

The following is from an earlier sell of EVs:

"Hertz announced on Thursday in a regulatory filing with the SEC that it has made a “strategic decision” to slash its electric vehicle fleet by 20,000 vehicles.

In the filing, Hertz said the figure is roughly one-third of its global EV fleet."

It appears that they started the sell off with about 60,000 EVs globally

"The filing sheds light on why a fleet of Tesla vehicles have already been listed for sale in a program that Hertz is calling “Rent2Buy.” Some of the vehicles were listed on Hertz’s website for as little as $17,700 before tax credits could be applied.  Currently, the maximum tax credit on a used EV is $4,000, so these Tesla Model 3 units that Hertz is selling could fall under $14,000.

Hertz was transparent in its filing that it believed a transition back to gas-powered vehicles would help the company’s financials."

Hertz Tesla sales

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:57:24 PM EDT
[#3]
But EVs are the future

How could this happen?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:01:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JG_Wentworth:
But EVs are the future

How could this happen?
View Quote
By bureaucrats believing that technical breakthroughs occur by administrative diktat.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:09:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Uhhh cars depreciate in value whether they are ice cars or electric.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:13:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Electricity is literally a communist conspiracy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:15:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I’ve always wondered why anyone would rent an EV in a place they are visiting and not know where they may have charging options.  Is the use case only for someone who may drive less than 200 miles on a trip and they don’t have to worry about charging the car?  Sort of like a free gasoline allowance.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#8]
But EVs are the future

How could this happen?
View Quote

Hertz is a horribly managed company and they should go out of business.   Again.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:16:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Does this mean that I can get a cheap Model S?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:17:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Hertz is climate change denying?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:17:23 PM EDT
[#11]
They're selling them off because no one wants to rent them. Really, what owner of a gas car wants to figure out the charging situation of a random EV on spring break?

In Florida over spring break, I noticed the cheapest rental cars were EVs and pickups. Because no one wants these on vacation!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By mattdoc:
They're selling them off because no one wants to rent them. Really, what owner of a gas car wants to figure out the charging situation of a random EV on spring break?

In Florida over spring break, I noticed the cheapest rental cars were EVs and pickups. Because no one wants these on vacation!
View Quote

Hertz doesn’t charge them up.  You may get one that has 30 miles of range.  Really handy right out of the airport.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:20:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Trump won and we all know it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:21:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By kill-9:
View Quote

Yeah, if you want one that has hit a curb at 60 mph.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:25:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Can they stop the awful Tom Brady youtube ads now then please
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:27:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Their rules, their business.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:27:58 PM EDT
[#17]
there's a shit ton in Hawaii
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:29:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Porkchop_Sandwiches:

Hertz doesn’t charge them up.  You may get one that has 30 miles of range.  Really handy right out of the airport.

View Quote

That's ridiculous
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:31:28 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I have had a couple of Hertz Tesla rentals.  They are supposed to be charged when you get it.  If not I wouldnt take it.  The issue here isnt the Tesla's it is what the poster quoted above said - when in some random ass town you dont want to be messing with trying to find a charging station.  Everytime I have taken one (by choice from the gold lot) it was when my driving would be limited enough that I wouldnt need to charge and could return as is.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:33:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JG_Wentworth] [#20]
Originally Posted By ag04blast:

I have had a couple of Hertz Tesla rentals.  They are supposed to be charged when you get it.  If not I wouldnt take it.  The issue here isnt the Tesla's it is what the poster quoted above said - when in some random ass town you dont want to be messing with trying to find a charging station.  Everytime I have taken one (by choice from the gold lot) it was when my driving would be limited enough that I wouldnt need to charge and could return as is.
View All Quotes

Do they require you to bring it back fully charged or do they have some  high charging fees if you bring it back at low battery?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:35:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Hertz is a horribly managed company and they should go out of business.   Again.
View All Quotes
But EVs are the future

How could this happen?

It’s truly Amazing how shitty their management is.   You could hire a random homeless guy to do a better job.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:37:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: APPARITION] [#22]
Originally Posted By Shasta_Doug:
I’ve always wondered why anyone would rent an EV in a place they are visiting and not know where they may have charging options.  Is the use case only for someone who may drive less than 200 miles on a trip and they don’t have to worry about charging the car?  Sort of like a free gasoline allowance.
View Quote

I rented a Tesla from Hertz on a business trip. My hotel and worksite were only about 10 miles from the airport and I was there for three days.

I didn't have to return it charged. No extra fees for that either.

It went back with about 20% left.

It was fun but I've not rented one since because I'm never staying that close to the airports.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Our corporate travel booking system uses Hertz, and it will try to stealthily book an EV if you're not paying very close attention. I don't understand why anyone would want to rent one for corporate travel, where the schedule is usually very important. Feel-good nonsense.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

How stoned and retarded would a dood have to be, where THIS is the first thought through his head?    
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By InsaneRusher:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/giphy__3_-1051.gif
View Quote

true but EVs have been depreciating off a cliff the last year or so
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:40:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By InsaneRusher:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/giphy__3_-1051.gif
View Quote

Most people don't rent electric cars because they suck.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:40:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By mk4dubbin:
Can they stop the awful Tom Brady youtube ads now then please
View Quote

Came to post exactly this, they are unwatchable.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

I drive hertz cars more than my own, which is why I hate their bullshit so much.

Hertz says they will “try” to not rent one with less than 75% charge.

Hertz can try to not to be a bag of dicks, and yet they still are
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
Source

"Hertz (NASDAQ: HTZ) reported its earnings for the first quarter of 2024 today, announcing that it is continuing to lose money on its electric vehicle investment and plans to dump even more EVs from its fleet.

Hertz said it had increased the number of EVs it will let go of by 10,000 units, now planning to sell 30,000 of its purchased electric cars this year. In January, it said it would get rid of 20,000 units after it felt $245 million of incremental net depreciation on the value of its EV fleet.

The losses continued in Q1. Hertz said it incurred a $195 million charge to vehicle depreciation to write down the EVs held for sale. However, vehicle depreciation as a whole increased by $588 million, or $339 on a per-unit basis."
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

How stoned and retarded would a dood have to be, where THIS is the first thought through his head?    
View All Quotes

For the right use case, a Model S is a fantastic car.

Granted, it's not a great fit for the average arfcommer's daily job of hauling a 15,000lb trailer through 14,000' snow-covered passes at the end of a 400mile drive.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:47:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By efpeter:
Hertz is climate change denying?
View Quote

Those Bastards!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:47:28 PM EDT
[#32]

It’s truly Amazing how shitty their management is.   You could hire a random homeless guy to do a better job.
View Quote

Hertz is a very pro DEI company, or so I've heard.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Xyster7212:

Granted, it's not a great fit for the average arfcommer's daily job of hauling a 15,000lb trailer through 14,000' snow-covered passes at the end of a 400mile drive.
View Quote

Or any 400+ mile drive, for that matter....

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:51:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Xyster7212:

View Quote
The problem is that "the right use case" is as a suburban commuter, where one can reliable expect to make a trip out and back and then recharge at night. For the vast majority of households, that relegates it to "second car" status. And the Model S is priced way out of that segment for the average household.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:01:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Featureless] [#35]
I was upgraded free to an almost brand new (less than 400 miles on the odometer!) Chevrolet 2025 electric pickup when in San Antonio for the eclipse.  I'd kind of liked it because I'd like a pickup again.   fleet version so manual seat and not carpeted (not necessarily a bad thing with a truck), not the more powerful version.

I took the truck vs the EV "cars" as I didn't expect to go through the whole 450 miles on the charge.  The rental guys weren't all that sure how far the cars would get and many "eclipse" renters expected to drive well out of town in unclear congestion conditions so hoping to get 100-200miles was a big risk for some so they suggested the truck.  As mentioned already, renting in an unfamiiar city just seems a bad idea.  You don't know where chargers are or how convenient, will you have to be dinking around to find one, waiting your turn with a bunch of other tourists, dealing with time charges if you don't get off the charger quickly.  The valets at my hotel at least had it under cover with predicted hail.  I don't know where we might have needed to go to charge it?

The controls were unfamiliar but we didn't have too much trouble.  My wife spent time in the owner's manual as we drove trying to help figure things out. The valets at the hotel were confused by it, too.  The brake pedal turns it on, opening the door turns it off - with fob in pocket. Never really got the big display figured out but did get lights and wipers set right.

As much as I liked it in some ways, there are places we go on trips, long weekends, etc, where not having really confident and easy access to charging would be a problem.  There are places we go for a nice weekend that 450 miles won't handle out and back and one can't just top off at any gas station.

electric for rentals, so far, seems a fairly ridiculous thing to do.  I hope they got their "greenie"points out of it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#36]
When renting, do you have to return it with a full charge?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:09:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:12:36 PM EDT
[#38]
It would be nice to know which Leftist, straight-out-of-business-school, DEI hire thought going to
an electric rental fleet was "the future", and managed to sell it to the BoD?

It'd also be nice to know if that person is now promoted or fired?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
Source

View Quote

Ouch, that Hertz.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:15:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Their chief spokesman died.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By _DR:

Or any 400+ mile drive, for that matter....

View Quote

Or a 250+ mile drive in the winter, or the summer...
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Drsalee:
View Quote

I did not and there was no fee for it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By LurchAddams:
Their chief spokesman died.  
https://i.makeagif.com/media/2-23-2018/A-LSAA.gif
View Quote
I used to joke about having to "OJ it" through the airport when I was late. I stopped, not because he was a murderer, but because no one got it anymore.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:29:35 PM EDT
[#45]
EV THREAD BOIS
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#46]
I rented a model 3 from Hertz a few months ago and drove all over north Florida (about 600miles). When I figured out how much I paid for charging, it was about the same as renting a car that got 31 MPG.

The only way I'd rent one again is if I had someplace where I could charge it overnight. The superchargers were often full and waiting while it charged was a pain.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:36:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Until hotels start providing charge facilities full EV's make no sense for business travelers.  For the record, I am NOT in favor of government requiring hotels to provide power outlets in the parking lots.  I flew into SNA a few weeks ago on business, was assigned an Ionic 5.  Cool car, and I wish I could have taken it, but my travels that week were to take me to UCLA and Van Nuys and I had no idea if the hotel had the facilities to charge it, and phoning the hotel's number got me a call center in india.  Nope, not ready for prime time.  They gave me a Chrysler 300 instead.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:43:41 PM EDT
[#48]
But EVs are the future

How could this happen?
View Quote

"HURRRRRRRRR HORSE AND BUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGIEEEEEEEEEE" braintrust, Line 1."
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Drsalee:
View Quote

I didn't.  But the people at the Terminal Desks didn't seem like they had a clue what vehicles their lot guys were turning and upgrading to. I'd pre-booked the car and at the desk happened to go with the option where'd they'd fill it but at a comparable price to local stations.  (I know that's likely a bit of a rip-off but Texas prices are so much lower than here in CA, it just seemed easy.) I got upstairs to the rental lot and was asked what I wanted from what he had ready (only electric sedans and a truck) soupgraded from the almost smallest budget gas car to a full size pickup free.  San Antonio on the same weekend as the big Lackland airshow and the upcoming eclipse was crazy in the rental areas.  The cars weren't getting returned as soon as expected, they didn't have the staff to turn them as fast as needed, etc.  The contract was for them to fill it so I suppose that covers for them to charge it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Powelligator:
Until hotels start providing charge facilities full EV's make no sense for business travelers.  For the record, I am NOT in favor of government requiring hotels to provide power outlets in the parking lots.  I flew into SNA a few weeks ago on business, was assigned an Ionic 5.  Cool car, and I wish I could have taken it, but my travels that week were to take me to UCLA and Van Nuys and I had no idea if the hotel had the facilities to charge it, and phoning the hotel's number got me a call center in india.  Nope, not ready for prime time.  They gave me a Chrysler 300 instead.
View Quote

I've been seeing chargers at some hotels for at least 10 years.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top