Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:49:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think Holiday Inn has gotten the memo yet.  (My company is cheap.)
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

How stoned and retarded would a dood have to be, where THIS is the first thought through his head?    
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kill-9:
Does this mean that I can get a cheap Model S?

How stoned and retarded would a dood have to be, where THIS is the first thought through his head?    

I wouldn't mind buying a used low-mileage tesla for my daily commuter car if the price was right.  But then, my daily commute is 12 miles each way, so I could drive it for a couple weeks between charges.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:52:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:53:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#4]
Originally Posted By ceetee:

I wouldn't mind buying a used low-mileage tesla for my daily commuter car if the price was right.  But then, my daily commute is 12 miles each way, so I could drive it for a couple weeks between charges.
View Quote

Go back to the first post.  I added some info on the sale issue.

Hertz Tesla sales

Looks like they are about 75% of new car prices.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Powelligator:
I don't think Holiday Inn has gotten the memo yet.  (My company is cheap.)
View Quote

Here's the first one I saw. I think I was there in 2013. I was up there deer hunting and watched the superchargers sit empty all weekend. I was hoping to see a Tesla. Sounds fancy but it's not really that fancy since I looked for the cheapest room I could find.

Baxter, MN

Tesla Supercharger
The Arrowwood Lodge at Brainerd Lake
6967 Lake Forest Road
Baxter, MN 56401-6963

Charging
8 Superchargers up to 150kW, Available 24/7
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:02:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lou_Daks] [#6]
A close relative recently went to Scotland on vacay.  They rented an EV, the name of which I forgot but it's a subsidiary of Volvo IIRC.  Finding charging stations was a PITA, even at hotels, something you would guess a European virtue signalling country would have nailed by now.  Apparently, the Scottish are too busy drinking whisky to build EV charging stations.  

The relative did say the distillery bidness is doing well, so they got that going for them.  And the golf courses.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:04:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I am sure that the tax incentive and tax credits have probably run out, and now they dump the cars.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:06:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Featureless:

I didn't.  But the people at the Terminal Desks didn't seem like they had a clue what vehicles their lot guys were turning and upgrading to. I'd pre-booked the car and at the desk happened to go with the option where'd they'd fill it but at a comparable price to local stations.  (I know that's likely a bit of a rip-off but Texas prices are so much lower than here in CA, it just seemed easy.) I got upstairs to the rental lot and was asked what I wanted from what he had ready (only electric sedans and a truck) soupgraded from the almost smallest budget gas car to a full size pickup free.  San Antonio on the same weekend as the big Lackland airshow and the upcoming eclipse was crazy in the rental areas.  The cars weren't getting returned as soon as expected, they didn't have the staff to turn them as fast as needed, etc.  The contract was for them to fill it so I suppose that covers for them to charge it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Drsalee:
When renting, do you have to return it with a full charge?

I didn't.  But the people at the Terminal Desks didn't seem like they had a clue what vehicles their lot guys were turning and upgrading to. I'd pre-booked the car and at the desk happened to go with the option where'd they'd fill it but at a comparable price to local stations.  (I know that's likely a bit of a rip-off but Texas prices are so much lower than here in CA, it just seemed easy.) I got upstairs to the rental lot and was asked what I wanted from what he had ready (only electric sedans and a truck) soupgraded from the almost smallest budget gas car to a full size pickup free.  San Antonio on the same weekend as the big Lackland airshow and the upcoming eclipse was crazy in the rental areas.  The cars weren't getting returned as soon as expected, they didn't have the staff to turn them as fast as needed, etc.  The contract was for them to fill it so I suppose that covers for them to charge it.
When I returned mine, it had to be at 80% otherwise I got charged a service fee. The problem is that the closer to 100% a battery is the slower it will charge. I think the service fee was $30. If I did it again, I would've just returned with the battery, super low and eaten the service fee.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Aside from the fact no one wants to rent EVs, they also lose their resale value. Selling the used rental cars is part of the business model.

But most people are not stupid enough to buy a used EV.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:07:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Porkchop_Sandwiches:

Hertz doesn’t charge them up.  You may get one that has 30 miles of range.  Really handy right out of the airport.
View Quote
Renters have to use up valuable vacation time in order to charge up the batteries, depending if you can find a super charging system that works. EVs required a whole different mindset over an ICE vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:09:28 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:09:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By warlord:
I am sure that the tax incentive and tax credits have probably run out, and now they dump the cars.
View Quote

Verify but buying a used EV may come with a $4000 tax credit for some.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:16:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I couldn't think of anything less convenient than an EV rental car.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:36:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By _DR:

Or any 400+ mile drive, for that matter....

View Quote

Why would a customer that has to drive 400 miles from the rental place rent a tesla to begin with?  Seems like the customer is making a bad choice moreso than the fault of the car.   I mean, you wouldn't reserve a Ford Fiesta from the airport car rental on your family's annual ski vacation and then blame the car that it can't fit all the luggage and ski equipment either.  

EVs can be a great choice to own or rent for use cases that don't involve long drives, hauling/towing, or lack of overnight charger access.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Millennial:

Why would a customer that has to drive 400 miles from the rental place rent a tesla to begin with?  Seems like the customer is making a bad choice moreso than the fault of the car.   I mean, you wouldn't reserve a Ford Fiesta from the airport car rental on your family's annual ski vacation and then blame the car that it can't fit all the luggage and ski equipment either.  

EVs can be a great choice to own or rent for use cases that don't involve long drives, hauling/towing, or lack of overnight charger access.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By _DR:

Or any 400+ mile drive, for that matter....

Hertz agrees with you.   It’s working out
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:50:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BFskinner] [#16]
Just like when this thread came out I am not seeing anything close to those prices for the cars listed within a 3 state area.  The cheapest on the page is 22K for a Model 3 base with 83,000 on the odometer.  Not touching something with that many miles with a 10 ft extension cord.   The ones with more realistic milage are around 26-27K.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By JG_Wentworth:

Do they require you to bring it back fully charged or do they have some  high charging fees if you bring it back at low battery?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JG_Wentworth:
Originally Posted By ag04blast:
Originally Posted By mattdoc:
They're selling them off because no one wants to rent them. Really, what owner of a gas car wants to figure out the charging situation of a random EV on spring break?

In Florida over spring break, I noticed the cheapest rental cars were EVs and pickups. Because no one wants these on vacation!

Hertz doesn’t charge them up.  You may get one that has 30 miles of range.  Really handy right out of the airport.

I have had a couple of Hertz Tesla rentals.  They are supposed to be charged when you get it.  If not I wouldnt take it.  The issue here isnt the Tesla's it is what the poster quoted above said - when in some random ass town you dont want to be messing with trying to find a charging station.  Everytime I have taken one (by choice from the gold lot) it was when my driving would be limited enough that I wouldnt need to charge and could return as is.

Do they require you to bring it back fully charged or do they have some  high charging fees if you bring it back at low battery?

There is a fee, similar structure to that of not filling up the gas.  I have only taken a Tesla when traveling for work, so I am not personally paying the fee.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:02:50 PM EDT
[#18]
We bought a car from Avis 5.5 years ago, a Mitsu Outlander AWD with like 23k miles, and it was like $10k cheaper than a new one.  Had all the service records and everything and I got to drive it around for free over the weekend to evaluate it before purchase too.  Still have it and it's had no issues.  It was a real good deal. I looked at the Hertz Tesla sale link... Those prices are all retarded.

Model Y with ~25000 or fewer miles are priced HIGHER than buying a NEW Model Y off the Tesla website.

Model 3 with ~25000 or fewer are priced only a ~$3-4k below a NEW Model 3 off the Tesla website.

The cheapest are all clapped out base models with 80k+ miles and still ~$24k ... a new Model Y is $29500

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mattdoc:
They're selling them off because no one wants to rent them. Really, what owner of a gas car wants to figure out the charging situation of a random EV on spring break?

In Florida over spring break, I noticed the cheapest rental cars were EVs and pickups. Because no one wants these on vacation!

I tried renting a plug in hybrid this week, it had 1% battery on the lot.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Maybe people figured out that renting a car on vacation then spending half their vacation at a charging station is a dumb idea.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:07:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

Verify but buying a used EV may come with a $4000 tax credit for some.
View Quote

Hmmm how many kwh of storage and can I wire it to my house for my solar battery bank..
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

You could always get a cheap Model S, you just had to pay more for it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#23]
If they had some cheap Model 3s that weren't all clapped out... I'd be tempted to pick up one as a second vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Xyster7212:

For the right use case, a Model S is a fantastic car.

Granted, it's not a great fit for the average arfcommer's daily job of hauling a 15,000lb trailer through 14,000' snow-covered passes at the end of a 400mile drive.
View Quote

Or the even more amusing "If I can't charge it in the same time it takes to fill up my truck it is worthless". But your truck does not refuel at home overnight, either...
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Matthew_Q:
If they had some cheap Model 3s that weren't all clapped out... I'd be tempted to pick up one as a second vehicle.
View Quote

Locally the Hertz lot has some real bargains. 20K miles on a model 3 is nothing, and they're cheap.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:24:30 PM EDT
[#26]
I clicked on the link for the prices of the cars they're selling. I'm not certain but they seem overpriced compared to what I can pick the same thing up for on eBay. They don't seem to hold their value very well. I'm kind of interested in getting a Tesla as a second toy car
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:29:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Holy shit this last rental was an EV it was a nightmare and I wasn’t even in Nova Scotia or North Dakota in winter

Kia Niro
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:35:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#29]
You couldn’t pay me to take an EV as a rental in an unfamiliar city.  Not. Happening.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:36:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Half of EV owners can't figure out how to charge them. How would Hertz expect renters to do better?

Not a smart move. Maybe in specialized markets.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:05:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Shasta_Doug:
I’ve always wondered why anyone would rent an EV in a place they are visiting and not know where they may have charging options.  Is the use case only for someone who may drive less than 200 miles on a trip and they don’t have to worry about charging the car?  Sort of like a free gasoline allowance.
View Quote

Big cities like NYC & LA have EV car rental predominance
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#32]

Hertz is a horribly managed company and they should go out of business.   Again.
View Quote

Deja Vu
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Have been given 75% charged recently
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:17:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By H1-HUMMER:
there's a shit ton in Hawaii
View Quote

Every crowded blue location
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Shasta_Doug:
I’ve always wondered why anyone would rent an EV in a place they are visiting and not know where they may have charging options.  Is the use case only for someone who may drive less than 200 miles on a trip and they don’t have to worry about charging the car?  Sort of like a free gasoline allowance.
View Quote

No kidding.  I was offered one time and gave them the face.

I did, however take the hybrid in a different trip.   Though a 4 door Jeep hybrid is kind of dumb.  And I also didn't charge it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:24:20 PM EDT
[#36]

I drive hertz cars more than my own, which is why I hate their bullshit so much.

Hertz says they will “try” to not rent one with less than 75% charge.

Hertz can try to not to be a bag of dicks, and yet they still are
View Quote

Deja Vu
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:38:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Less global impact if there are no cars to rent.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:21:01 AM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

Link to source? Or did this happen to you personally? Surprised they would rent out any car, EV or ICE with less than 50 miles of driving range to it. If that was a regular policy, that's a leadership problem in a major way.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:22:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By snakes19:

true but EVs have been depreciating off a cliff the last year or so
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By snakes19:
Originally Posted By InsaneRusher:
Uhhh cars depreciate in value whether they are ice cars or electric.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/giphy__3_-1051.gif

true but EVs have been depreciating off a cliff the last year or so

If you're a "buy low" kind of guy, you make a good case.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:33:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Curious question from those that have rented recently.

Have they turned around from this?

https://www.npr.org/2022/12/06/1140998674/hertz-false-accusation-stealing-cars-settlement
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:00:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Vote4Cthulhu:

Link to source? Or did this happen to you personally? Surprised they would rent out any car, EV or ICE with less than 50 miles of driving range to it. If that was a regular policy, that's a leadership problem in a major way.
View Quote
It happened to my brother a little while back.  Less than 70 miles charge on it.  He said it was great except for having to stop at 11:30pm in the middle of nowhere to spend 40 minutes at a supercharger.

Honestly Hertz has gone downhill a little.  Usually they are good, but the last car I had (Sunday - Wednesday this week) was a Nissan Altima with 77k miles on it with ripped upholstery and it smelled like someone smoked a joint in it recently.  Also the tank was 3/4th full.

Thats just lazy.  Fill the cars and sell the ones that are old and bad.  Plenty of people who smoke pot in the market for a tenderly loved Nissan Altima.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:50:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Yeah, them renting out EVs that aren't fully charged is ridiculous. With Teslas, it might not be super bad if there are Supercharger stations close, but getting in a car at the airport that has 50 miles of range is bad. They require you to return a regular gas car with a full tank so that the next renter has a full tank... they need to provide the same for renters of EVs.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:08:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
Source

"Hertz (NASDAQ: HTZ) reported its earnings for the first quarter of 2024 today, announcing that it is continuing to lose money on its electric vehicle investment and plans to dump even more EVs from its fleet.

Hertz said it had increased the number of EVs it will let go of by 10,000 units, now planning to sell 30,000 of its purchased electric cars this year. In January, it said it would get rid of 20,000 units after it felt $245 million of incremental net depreciation on the value of its EV fleet.

The losses continued in Q1. Hertz said it incurred a $195 million charge to vehicle depreciation to write down the EVs held for sale. However, vehicle depreciation as a whole increased by $588 million, or $339 on a per-unit basis."

The following is from an earlier sell of EVs:

"Hertz announced on Thursday in a regulatory filing with the SEC that it has made a “strategic decision” to slash its electric vehicle fleet by 20,000 vehicles.

In the filing, Hertz said the figure is roughly one-third of its global EV fleet."

It appears that they started the sell off with about 60,000 EVs globally

"The filing sheds light on why a fleet of Tesla vehicles have already been listed for sale in a program that Hertz is calling “Rent2Buy.” Some of the vehicles were listed on Hertz’s website for as little as $17,700 before tax credits could be applied.  Currently, the maximum tax credit on a used EV is $4,000, so these Tesla Model 3 units that Hertz is selling could fall under $14,000.

Hertz was transparent in its filing that it believed a transition back to gas-powered vehicles would help the company’s financials."

Hertz Tesla sales

View Quote

Link to $14,000 Tesla model 3 sold by Hertz?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:09:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Powelligator:
Until hotels start providing charge facilities full EV's make no sense for business travelers.  For the record, I am NOT in favor of government requiring hotels to provide power outlets in the parking lots.  I flew into SNA a few weeks ago on business, was assigned an Ionic 5.  Cool car, and I wish I could have taken it, but my travels that week were to take me to UCLA and Van Nuys and I had no idea if the hotel had the facilities to charge it, and phoning the hotel's number got me a call center in india.  Nope, not ready for prime time.  They gave me a Chrysler 300 instead.
View Quote

It’s been a thing for a while. You should get out more than you do.  Maybe try something other than Holiday Inn or the Ramada.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:13:38 AM EDT
[#45]
I was upgraded free to an almost brand new (less than 400 miles on the odometer!) Chevrolet 2025 electric pickup when in San Antonio for the eclipse.  I'd kind of liked it because I'd like a pickup again.   fleet version so manual seat and not carpeted (not necessarily a bad thing with a truck), not the more powerful version.

I took the truck vs the EV "cars" as I didn't expect to go through the whole 450 miles on the charge.  The rental guys weren't all that sure how far the cars would get and many "eclipse" renters expected to drive well out of town in unclear congestion conditions so hoping to get 100-200miles was a big risk for some so they suggested the truck.  As mentioned already, renting in an unfamiiar city just seems a bad idea.  You don't know where chargers are or how convenient, will you have to be dinking around to find one, waiting your turn with a bunch of other tourists, dealing with time charges if you don't get off the charger quickly.  The valets at my hotel at least had it under cover with predicted hail.  I don't know where we might have needed to go to charge it?

The controls were unfamiliar but we didn't have too much trouble.  My wife spent time in the owner's manual as we drove trying to help figure things out. The valets at the hotel were confused by it, too.  The brake pedal turns it on, opening the door turns it off - with fob in pocket. Never really got the big display figured out but did get lights and wipers set right.

As much as I liked it in some ways, there are places we go on trips, long weekends, etc, where not having really confident and easy access to charging would be a problem.  There are places we go for a nice weekend that 450 miles won't handle out and back and one can't just top off at any gas station.

electric for rentals, so far, seems a fairly ridiculous thing to do.  I hope they got their "greenie"points out of it.
View Quote

Where are you driving 500 miles and not finding a single charging location? A ‘nice weekend’ would include an overnight stay so I’d love to find out exactly where you’re going that you can’t find a charging location to use for an hour. Even overnight charging is popular. 450 miles with not one charging location? Rubbish.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:16:21 AM EDT
[#46]
No idea what they were thinking adding EV as rentals to begin with.  Even if you are someone who is okay with them, who wants to go out of town to a place you don't know well, or what you will be doing, and rent a vehicle that your going to have to hunt around to find places to charge it.

Last summer during a sports trip with my kids up north a bunch of the coaches got stuck with them bc the place had run out of normal cars.  Every one of them (and these are all early to mid 20's women) were like never again.  Driving around to libraries and other weird places to charge them.  The games were at fields out in the middle of no where with no charges around...entire trip they were worried about having to find places to charge.

One coach charged at a library near her hotel and had to sit the entire time while a bum wouldnt leave the side of her vehicle.  Sounds so much better than just hitting a gas station.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:22:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Paul:
Half of EV owners can't figure out how to charge them. How would Hertz expect renters to do better?

Not a smart move. Maybe in specialized markets.
View Quote
They give you instructions on a piece of paper or you can take 15 seconds to Google it. All I had to do was plug the Tesla in at a charging station and it automatically started charging. I didn't have enough range to get to my destination when I picked it up at the airport. The car automatically found the best super charger to use along my route and pre-conditioned the battery. My first stop took about 15 min to charge from 30-80%.

Hertz billed me at the end for the electricity I used.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:23:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Master_Shake:
When I returned mine, it had to be at 80% otherwise I got charged a service fee. The problem is that the closer to 100% a battery is the slower it will charge. I think the service fee was $30. If I did it again, I would've just returned with the battery, super low and eaten the service fee.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Master_Shake:
Originally Posted By Drsalee:
When renting, do you have to return it with a full charge?

I can't even comprehend how bad a rental car company has to be missing the point to ask EVs to be returned at a 80% state of charge or better.

Wow...

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:27:02 AM EDT
[#49]
We bought a car from Avis 5.5 years ago, a Mitsu Outlander AWD with like 23k miles, and it was like $10k cheaper than a new one.  Had all the service records and everything and I got to drive it around for free over the weekend to evaluate it before purchase too.  Still have it and it's had no issues.  It was a real good deal. I looked at the Hertz Tesla sale link... Those prices are all retarded.

Model Y with ~25000 or fewer miles are priced HIGHER than buying a NEW Model Y off the Tesla website.

Model 3 with ~25000 or fewer are priced only a ~$3-4k below a NEW Model 3 off the Tesla website.

The cheapest are all clapped out base models with 80k+ miles and still ~$24k ... a new Model Y is $29500

View Quote

A new model Y is not $29500

That’s with potential gas savings over 6 years.

All of Hertz model Y’s are LR. The cheapest brand new base model MYLR is $40490 from Tesla.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:29:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top