Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:34:50 AM EDT
[#1]
If I’m renting a car I’m probably staying in a hotel.  I have yet to stay in a hotel that had chargers in the parking lot.  Overnight charging is a pretty critical part of the BEV operating model.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:35:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kill-9:
Does this mean that I can get a cheap Model S?
View Quote

Best they can do is a clapped out base model 3, with all 4 rims curbed, and the inside smells like old skunky weed.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I love how that hypocritical Jim Cantore is the spokesperson for those Generac fossil fuel burning home electricity generating plants.

As much as the weather channel has now become the all hysterical Climate change channel, I can't believe that  on camera climatologist scolder in chief would endorse such a product.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:08:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I love it how Hertz themselves is admitting that it was a bad idea to expand EV rentals to the level that they did, and there are still people in these threads telling everyone how they are lying about picking up discharged cars, dumb for staying in the wrong hotels, or not wanting to read some 9th generation photocopied instruction sheet on how to operate everything the moment they get to the lot.

Hertz is in the business of making business travelers happy.  That is their business model and they used to do it very well.  The EV push they embraced ended up working against that goal to some extent.  The financials don't lie.  Vehicles are not all equal when it comes to capital investment.  They don't rent Escalades for example cheaply, although I have been known to get a great deal on an expensive car when I reserved a full size and they stuck me in something that costs 4-5 times more at my reservation price.  That was what I liked about Hertz.  They would manage their fleet well and they would have the resources to service their customers well.  I never had to wait for a vehicle to become available, and I never drove off the lot with anything less than I reserved, unlike with many of the cheaper competitors.

Most of you remember the Hertz commercials, "There's Hertz, and there's 'not exactly'."  The guy at the end running through the rain yelling "Not exactly!" is a pretty good summary of what they aspire to avoid, and why business travelers use them.

With the EV fleet decision, they took on a huge investment (post Covid after downsizing their fleet) that didn't have the upside they were hoping for.  Their business model works when they can extract some multiple of rental fees / car price - salvage value.  So in one fell swoop, they over leveraged themselves with high priced cars with lower salvage values that simply don't generate much in rental fees.

I doubt very much that they listened or cared what their customers were telling them.  What I've noticed is that to bandaid the problem they: 1) push discounted prices on EV models, 2) repositioning EVs into areas they are more hoping to get more use, and 3) letting their regular fleet rack up more miles as a stopgap.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By durtychemist:

Link to $14,000 Tesla model 3 sold by Hertz?
View Quote

Check their Rent2Buy link.  I just checked the normal sell listings and saw nothing close to $14,000 or $17,000.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:25:32 AM EDT
[#6]
The cheapest one they have listed for sale is $22k. The article is full of lies.

https://www.hertzcarsales.com/rent2buy-inventory/index.htm?geoZip=89501&geoRadius=0&compositeType=certified%2C%20Rent2Buy&make=Tesla&model=Model%203&sortBy=internetPrice%20asc
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:29:13 AM EDT
[#7]
People don’t wanna charge a Fucking rental. Hopefully whoever thought this was a great idea got the bud light management experience
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:33:50 AM EDT
[#8]
The late-OJ Simpson was a spokesperson for Hertz.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:08:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I love how one youtube channel reported that support for the EV market wasnt "streamlined" enough to keep the market going.

Lol the delusion. Until you can stop depending on fossil fuels and have a power industry that supports nuclear, mo amount of streamlining is going to EV going.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:11:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By warlord:
The late-OJ Simpson was a spokesperson for Hertz.
View Quote

Spokesman.  There was no gender neutral crap back then.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:07:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

It kind of makes sense in Hawaii, if you have a place to charge overnight.  

A modern electric car on a full charge can basically go anywhere on any Hawaiian island, and not run out of power.

My wife and I were planning on putting a solar system on the house we are building there, and getting an electric SUV or truck.  Even on the Big Island, you can basically drive around the entire island on one charge, so we would never have to charge it anywhere - and would just let the solar panels charge it.  Essentially free and unlimited "fuel" for our vehicle.  Plus, in an emergency SHTF scenario, gasoline (which has to be shipped in) will run out VERY quickly, and any gasoline car will become useless.  So from a prepping perspective, an EV makes sense in Hawaii.  Also, on the islands, you don't have to worry about poor battery/charging performance in cold/freezing weather.  
View Quote

Riding out SHTF in Hawaii? Aloha.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Also FUCK EVgo

Fucking rip off company never going to use their chargers again
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top