Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2023 2:05:39 PM EDT
I bought my dream truck last year, a 92 Toyota Hilux diesel.  Imported from France.  After 4 months, the motor blew, throwing a rod through the oil pan.

A week ago, I finished dropping in a 3L to replace the 2L-ii that blew out.  She runs again!  Need to do some hydraulic clutch adjustment still, and replace the carrier bearing before I can actually drive around.

That's all.  I'm just really happy right now, especially since persevering through long, expensive projects isn't my strong suit.

Link Posted: 9/14/2023 2:07:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Fuck yeah!
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 2:09:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 2:09:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep it away from Cody and Clarkson.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 2:12:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Slingblade2006:
View Quote

I killed mine faster.  Truth is, I wouldn't sell one to them for triple the market price, I love em.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 2:17:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By withoutremorse42:

I killed mine faster.  Truth is, I wouldn't sell one to them for triple the market price, I love em.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Your truck looks awesome.  Was sourcing the 3l difficult?
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 2:19:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

Kind of, but didn't have to be.

I imported a 2L from canada, only to find that some very early 2L's have different block shapes than every other 2L/3L/5L.  

Ended up selling it at a loss and making payments on a 3L imported by Northwest Toys here in Oregon.

Had to repair the damaged oil pan, put in new clutch, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, water pump, and timing belt.  Got to reuse a lot of parts from the 2Lii.

Most of my gauges are now dead, and a few other minor issues, but I can at least idle the motor and smoke a cigar now!  Carrier bearing should be here in a couple days.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#8]

I imported a 2L from canada, only to find that some very early 2L's have different block shapes than every other 2L/3L/5L.  

Ended up selling it at a loss and making payments on a 3L imported by Northwest Toys here in Oregon.

Had to repair the damaged oil pan, put in new clutch, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, water pump, and timing belt.  Got to reuse a lot of parts from the 2Lii.

Most of my gauges are now dead, and a few other minor issues, but I can at least idle the motor and smoke a cigar now!  Carrier bearing should be here in a couple days.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Awesome, cheers!
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 4:28:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Yessss. How much did it cost you to get it here, including the cost of the truck ..if you don’t mind answering.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 8:01:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Sweet truck. Glad it’s running again.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 2:31:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By thezentree:
Yessss. How much did it cost you to get it here, including the cost of the truck ..if you don’t mind answering.
View Quote

I don't mind at all

Truck was $18K after it hit the dealer in S Carolina and they put some work into it

New motor was $6K, should have been less but I didn't know where to shop around
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 3:08:32 PM EDT
[#12]
That’s not terrible.

Post more pics.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:26:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Very neat. Too bad they are so expensive.

Can you buy parts at the local auto parts stores?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top