Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2024 11:24:17 AM EDT
I have a Qidi X plus3 in my home office. I work from home most of the week, so I spend a significant amount of time in this room.

I want to print ASA, PETG, etc.

Obviously a Bento Box or Nevermore somethingorother is in my future, but this printer also has an exhaust fan. I'm considering something like a dryer duct connected to a board with a duct flange screwed to it and jammed in the window frame. I don't love that option since it's a ground floor window and a lot of the time my prints go overnight. It also seems hard to effectively seal for weather.

Anyone have any clever ideas? Cutting holes in walls or floors is not an option for me, so the window vent seems like my only choice but I'm interested to see what others have done.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Shouldn't have an issue with PETG. It's odorless for all intents and purposes.

ASA is low odor. I never really bothered filtering it. Some people get a carbon filter and just circulate the exhaust through it and back into the unit.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Simple.  I put the printer in the basement.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:07:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thirsty] [#3]
For resin printing, I bought a grow tent with 4” flexible duct, linear fan and a huge charcoal filter for the exhaust. I think I spent $200 for the whole setup. Parked a cheap particle board shelf inside to get the printer off the floor. It worked very well at reducing resin odors.

The best solution would be to use a powered hood that vents to the outside, but I think a fresh charcoal filter would significantly cut down on particulates.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:19:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TODD-67] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By thirsty:
For resin printing, I bought a grow tent with 4” flexible duct, linear fan and a huge charcoal filter for the exhaust. I think I spent $200 for the whole setup. Parked a cheap particle board shelf inside to get the printer off the floor. It worked very well at reducing resin odors.

The best solution would be to use a powered hood that vents to the outside, but I think a fresh charcoal filter would significantly cut down on particulates.
View Quote

If you are really worried about it than this is by far the most efficient way to go about it. I would not let an open line to the outside enter into either the FDM or resin printer.

My FDM printer has a carbon filter extraction filter built in that I never use. The Resin printer is in an enclosure so the only time you smell it is when you have the lid off to remove a print or are changing the resin in the vat.

Personally being around mold shops my entire career and seeing what OSHA deems acceptable for the work environment the small amount of fumes from a printer seems to be blown way out of proportion but everyone is different.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:24:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#5]
I build a hood over my printer with plexiglass.  In the top, I installed a $14 fart fan from lowes.  There's a flexible hose that runs out the window.  On the other end of the hose, I have one of those flapper things that are used to keep critters from crawling into your dryer vent.  Been using this setup for 9 years now.  No ragrets.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#6]
My printer is in the garage away from the rest of the house.  I have it in an enclosure and the room is heated if needed to keep ambient temps reasonable, but mostly I print PLA and PLA Pro so ambient temps aren't too big a deal.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 5:59:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top