Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/9/2023 8:25:07 AM EDT
Have had left upper back issues for some time, but about a month ago started getting pain in my left butt cheek that will move down the back of my leg depending on movement

Have a health visit that was previously scheduled with my Dr. In two weeks, but everything is pointing towards sciatica. Stretches? PT? Anything anyone doing or have done to reduce pain
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 8:49:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Chiropractor
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 8:58:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: onibaba] [#2]
Lay on your stomach.

Keeping your pelvis on the ground bring your torso off the ground using a push up motion.

50 to 100 a day spread through out the day.

This will gradually move the bulging disk back into place.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 8:59:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Started in my right hip.
I moved my wallet to my left rear pocket.
Problem solved.
(Was in my late 50s, had been carrying my wallet in the right rear pocket since I was 15)

Within a year, my left hip started hurting.
Moved wallet to left front pocket.
Problem solved.

Again.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:02:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Yoga

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By onibaba:
Lay on your stomach.

Keeping your pelvis on the ground bring your torso off the ground using a push up motion.

50 to 100 a day spread through out the day.

This will gradually move the bulging disk back into place.
View Quote

I do this stretch after workouts....I don't do it that much, but I will look at doing it more often.

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:55:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MemeWarfare] [#6]
Step 1: get the inflammation down. Takes days/weeks.
Step 2: increase hip mobility with careful stretching over a period of weeks.
Step 3: maintain hip mobility by making stretching a lifestyle.
Step 4: resistance training (weights)

You got to this point because aging men are susceptible to reduced hip mobility (pelvis won’t tilt) because glutes and hamstrings get tighter and tighter. This concentrates all the bending in the spine, pinching disks and pushing them out the back. Also make sure you aren’t getting dehydrated. As we age our thirst impulse weakens and it becomes easy to have chronic dehydration without ever knowing it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:19:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fsjdw2] [#7]
I changed holsters. From a IWB  4 oclock to a 4 oclock OWB with retention clip. 2 weeks later i realized it was gone, hasn't come back and been over a year now.

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 10:48:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Doctor is a waste of time.

Find a good functional movement PT that works with athletes.

Start doing certain stretches.

Lots of really good PT videos on YouTube showing you what stretches to do.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:12:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#10]
Stop doing what is hurting you.

In my case, the day I realized my hard-tail mountain bike was crunching my spine, I switched to full suspension, and I haven't had a single issue since.  A pinch flat, broken axle, and crushed seat post were my clues.

Your mileage may vary.

(My left leg would go numb and I would almost fall down.  I did a lot of teaching which required standing for long periods)
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By staringback05:
Have had left upper back issues for some time, but about a month ago started getting pain in my left butt cheek that will move down the back of my leg depending on movement

Have a health visit that was previously scheduled with my Dr. In two weeks, but everything is pointing towards sciatica. Stretches? PT? Anything anyone doing or have done to reduce pain
View Quote

Pushups and plank
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:36:56 PM EDT
[#12]

I do this stretch after workouts....I don't do it that much, but I will look at doing it more often.

View Quote

Keep doing it til it goes away.

Spinal fluid with heal disks. The way to build spinal fluid is through mobility.

Keep flexing the lower vertibrae and two things will occur. The disk will move back into place and fluid will move and heal the disk.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:47:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By mini14jac:
Started in my right hip.
I moved my wallet to my left rear pocket.
Problem solved.
(Was in my late 50s, had been carrying my wallet in the right rear pocket since I was 15)

Within a year, my left hip started hurting.
Moved wallet to left front pocket.
Problem solved.

Again.
View Quote

Yep. Stopped carrying a wallet in back pocket.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:52:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TN-MadDog] [#14]
First of all, you really need a diagnosis. You will probably need an MRI to know for sure.

Fairly high percentage chance that it is a bulging disk but there are other things that could be causing it.

If it is something else, including a ruptured disk then you may make it worse.

If it is a disk then there are several exercises that will help. Just do an internet search.

Exercises never helped me since I had a different issue. Had some epidural injections that helped but ultimately needed surgery.

Now 10 years later I’m back to epidural injections, since my issue now is arthritis and is not surgical.

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:52:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Core exercises and stretching daily.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:10:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TREETOP:
Surgery.
View Quote

I know multiple people who had surgery for impinged nerves/sciatica and none had a good long term result. Lots of people had good results from everything from acupuncture to chiro, to yoga. For immediate relief I do acupuncture when it gets really bad with TENS when its bugging me.  Squats (no weights) have really helped along with staying active snd stretching.  I've had 5 rounds of epidural injections and the only ones that worked were the ones right after i herniated my disc in 2004. These recent ones have had no impact beyond maybe 30-40 days.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I lost weight and it disappeared
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:12:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Also find a gym that has a reverse hyper machine or buy one and use it constantly.

That has helped me tremendously
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:16:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Inversion table. Best invested $300, put my chiropractor out of business!
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:37:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RaptorFuel] [#20]
Before you do anything get a copy of "The Back Mechanic".  Depending on the problem you might do more harm than help with the wrong exercises.  This book was life changing for me.

I can't stress this enough, BUY THIS BOOK.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:48:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By TREETOP:
Surgery.
View Quote

Yep, get the imaging done and talk to three good surgeons.

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't know of you drink alcohol or not but when I quit drinking alot of those types of problems went away.

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:23:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Try the Egoscue method. Search YouTube or whatever. I do the static back ones.  It's been the only thing that works for me.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:32:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I've mostly eliminated mine through mostly strengthening the muscles in the area, and inversion therapy. I regularly use a reverse hyper, and GHD. Also do McGill's big 3, dead lifts, and kettlebell swings regularly.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#25]
How old is your mattress?
Do you have a wallet in your back pocket?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 5:52:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Anyone use a n inflatable decompression belt?

I've been using one and it feels good when I'm wearing it, but there doesn't seem to be any long term relief.  Maybe I'm using it wrong.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 7:49:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Carry my wallet in my back right pocket but I've never had any discomfort because it sits more on the side.

I'm pretty fit at 6ft 210, in my 40s. Would love to lose 10 pounds but that's not world ending I guess as I work out 4 or 5 days a week anyway.

I don't sleep well anyway due to the other back issue. Truly this is probably just the body breaking down. Between playing sports all my life and public safety career and the hernias and arthritis and upper back injuries I'm looking forward to getting some lower back imaging done.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 1:33:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Get the wallet out of your back pocket. It makes your spine shift to one side. Your sleep and pain could be because your mattress is worn out. Five years tops for mattresses.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Lacrosse ball and pummeling the hell out of the whole area looking for a twitch response.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 7:10:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Dr thinks it might be a herniated disc so I'm having an mri done in another week. I've never had lower back problems, I did get in a minor wreck this spring and my lower back was sore for a week or so from the guy hitting the back of my car.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Not really a problem for me, but the wife has had ongoing issues for about 15 years.  

A steroid pack and a few rounds with the physical therapist usually works  for her.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Tried all the stretches and it never got better. Just started walking a couple miles a day and had marked improvement.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Simplistic Mobility Method.

Go to YouTube and search Tom Morrison. He should have some vids on sciatica.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Hillbilly69:
Chiropractor
View Quote
This worked for me.  Literally cured after 1-3 adjustments.  He explained it as my sacro-iliac juncture being stiff or locked in place and he loosened it.  

I have issues with costochondritis and whatever the same condition on the back of the spine is called, and one adjustment fixes it right up.  

Chiropractic works.  For some things.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 9:44:11 PM EDT
[#35]
I use an inversion table but only to about 45 degrees. When it flares up I take it easy until it goes away. I used to try to work through it, but that just made it last longer.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 9:07:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By wvar15:
I use an inversion table but only to about 45 degrees. When it flares up I take it easy until it goes away. I used to try to work through it, but that just made it last longer.
View Quote

This is what's tough, I don't workout in extreme like I used to, but I do a cardio and weights mix 5 days a week. It's hard to even do that and not being able to workout saps daily energy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:37:47 AM EDT
[#37]

This is what's tough, I don't workout in extreme like I used to, but I do a cardio and weights mix 5 days a week. It's hard to even do that and not being able to workout saps daily energy.
View Quote
Same here. When it happens to me I can't even walk without it bothering me. Thankfully it's not painful it's more of an annoying electric shock feeling. I'm usually able to swim when I have it though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Stopped carrying a belt holster (pocket carry or shoulder holster only now) and regular visits to a chiropractor who gave me a bunch of stretches to do (and actually do the stretches every day).
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:30:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Wanted to mention also that it's not always a disc issue. I'm 99% sure mine is caused by my right piriformis muscle. My right hip has about 60% of the mobility of my left and has been that way all my life. The sciatic nerve goes under the piriformis, so when it gets tight it pinches it. When mine is acting up, if I'm sitting with my leg up on a recliner and rotate my foot outwards I can trigger the shock feeling. That muscle controls outward rotation like that.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 4:27:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Here's what helps me:

-Pigeon pose, go deep and ride out the pain.
-Crossed leg toe touches.
-Roller thingy and go through a bunch of different motions (side to side, up/down, etc.) where it hurts.
-Rear crossover lunges (not sure what they're called. You keep one foot planted, and with the other foot you go backwards and crossover the planted foot in the lunge, then bring it back again. So if your planted foot is the right one, you'll bring your left foot behind it and as far to right outside of the right foot as possible.) This really helps the hips/butt.

-Down on all fours, hip/leg extensions with a band. Put the band above your knees and lift your leg outwards.

Also, don't forget to do it on BOTH sides, not just the side that hurts. It could be that the side that hurts is because the other side is the one out of whack.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Went to a Chiropractor that does Acupuncture.  I swore that shit was snake oil.  About 6 or 7 sessions, and gone!
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 4:42:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Stretching(including feet),  drink lots of water, loose weight(if needed) and work on your core(just some kettle bells)

30 years of back pain/sciatica pain went away from the above. Now if my back or something else hurts...stretching my feet(sitting with a towel) just for a few mins takes it away.

Link Posted: 9/20/2023 4:53:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: creecher] [#43]
I deployed to Afghanistan when I was 42 ish with routine and ongoing sciatica.  100MG Doxycycline Hyclate was issued to us, for daily intake.  After about 30 days
of taking it I figured it was winter so didnt need to take it anymore...(no bugs) but by then my back didnt hurt.... and didnt hurt again until I got bit by a tick after
returning to USA.

Koinkydink?
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 12:25:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Mri just showed minor degeneration and straightening. I think the prednisone regimen he put me on leading up to the mri help alot because a few days after finishing the last pill I haven't had as bad of a time
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 10:18:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Another vote for chiro. My hips were misaligned and my spine was stiff. When I would try to bend laterally it was more of a hinge movement than a bend. Before and after X rays do a good job of showing it.

Fixed me up in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 10:59:22 AM EDT
[#46]
I just went through a long bout with sciatica.  I was doing the floor in my garage and I was smoked.  I was horizontal for 2 days and it took me a good 2 months to recover.

I'm still afraid of hitting the squats and deadlifts.  I had gotten to some respectful number but I haven't dared to try them.  I'm scared.

For the last week or so I've been able to go back to a regular workout routine. For Weeks I was doing different exercises to reduce the stress on the spine. As you probably know, there's not a whole lot you could do that doesn't compress the spine, but I made do with what I could do.

I will say for me getting into my hot tub twice a day worked better than going to the chiropractor. The chiropractor definitely helps and I walked out of there feeling better but nothing like 30 minutes in a hot tub. I walk out of that like a new person. Other than that did take some Aleve and rest. Stretching too.

I believe I noticed this flame up, when my running mileage really came down due to the cold weather here in SLC. Started running back at my old mileage and feeling great again.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 11:02:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Sajer:
Yoga

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/10/2023 11:05:00 AM EDT
[#48]
I changed my carry gun.

Chiropractor saw that I was packing a g19 in an IWB at 4 o’clock.  My PT (different issue) me that due to weight I had to cinch my belt tighter than needed and was tilting my pelvis/spine .  Asked me to try either suspenders (I’m not 65+ so can’t), or not carry. So I
Changed to pocket carry and 2 weeks later the electric shocks and accompanied aching were gone.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:24:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Update

They determined I have fluid pockets around L4/5 that are pressing my nerve against my spine....this is a result from the car wreck at and being hit from behind.

I'm seeing a physical therapist who has also "neuropathy" and "mechanical" issues with the stabilizing muscles that are in the left buttocks and hip area. He feels these have probably been around for a long time and are a result from compensation from my injury to my shoulder blade muscles 10 years ago....I caught a 4000 series generator when it fell off a fire truck with just my left hand...

They put me on Lyrica and tianizandine sp and 9 more sessions of pt

Link Posted: 1/31/2024 9:53:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Inversion and squats
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top