Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2024 3:17:21 AM EDT
What is the level of difficultly to do something like weld up the gas port, drill a new gas port and machine cut flutes in a nitride treated barrel versus doing the same with a phosphate coated barrel?

A. Extremely difficult ?

B. it's a hassle but doable ?

C. non issue, shouldn't be a problem at all ?

Link Posted: 1/16/2024 3:39:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 8:45:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I welded a silencer onto a nitrided psa barrel.  Ground through the surface and welded it on with no issues.  No idea about machining.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#3]
The nitride hardening is only a very thin layer on the surface. A carbide end mill won't even notice it, same for a carbide drill.  Welding the gas port is a different matter though, you can weld it but you could also warp your barrel in the process. I would explore blocking it off thoroughly before trying to weld it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:
The nitride hardening is only a very thin layer on the surface. A carbide end mill won't even notice it, same for a carbide drill.  Welding the gas port is a different matter though, you can weld it but you could also warp your barrel in the process. I would explore blocking it off thoroughly before trying to weld it.
View Quote

While it will cut, a plain carbine endmill will notice 70+rc.
You have to take enough of a cut to get through it and that would be several thousands. Taking a small amount off is difficult.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 1:39:54 PM EDT
[#5]
It has always been a non-issue for me until......I got a long drill bit stuck in an AK gas block. It was a nightmare lol.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 4:55:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Someone told me that the nitrided layer is not electrically conductive, and had to be ground off prior to Electrical-Discharge Machining.  If that's true (which I am unsure about), I would assume you would need to grind off an area for your weld clamp.

Test continuity with a multimeter before committing.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends on who nitrided it, there's a huge variance between mfgrs.

Some are hell on tooling, others cut like butter.  I would grind/clean up any area that you intend to apply weld to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top