Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2024 3:35:13 PM EDT
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I believe this ole table is teak. It was made in Indonesia and wife bought it about 30 years ago in Austin. I have no idea what the finish is. Loaned it to our daughter for about 10 years and wife wanted it back. Looks like it has some water damage on the surface. Without removing the finish, is there some way to help diminish the look of the water damage? It does not have to be perfect, just better.

The table base is tongue and groove and held together with wood pins. I have no idea how the top is attached. The fish on the top was added by the antique store where the wife bought it.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#1]
The pictures make that top seem rough! It looks like there is a lacquer type finish on it that has yellowed. From the look of the pictures, it would be hard to improve the finish without a real strip and refinish.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#2]
That table has character. I’d leave it alone.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 4:50:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Try rubbing it with mayonnaise.  Might help some.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By midmo:
Try rubbing it with mayonnaise.  Might help some.
View Quote

Serious answer OP. Introduces oil back into the wood.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 5:24:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Covertness:

Serious answer OP. Introduces oil back into the wood.
View Quote

Doesn't Murphy's Wood oil do the same thing?
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 5:58:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I was thinking about oil but did not know what type.

Yep, this table has character and she is pretty.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you tried using Murphy's Soap to clean it? Wax finish after?
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 6:35:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ajroyer:
Have you tried using Murphy's Soap to clean it? Wax finish after?
View Quote

Have not tried anything. Looking for advice here.Attachment Attached File

Here is a photo of the entire table.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 6:42:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EDDIECRUM] [#9]
Attachment Attached File

For the record, a photo of my lovely wife. She is using it for a desk.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 7:05:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HBruns] [#10]
Nice table.
Interesting inlay.

Short of stripping or sanding the finish off to prep for new/fresh finish, cleaning is your only answer.

Murphy's Oil Soap - as already mentioned.

Don't use Mayonnaise... Lots of stuff that isn't real great for the wood. Rubbing with veg oil would be better (but still a crappy idea).

Rubbing with Lemon Pledge might work.

ETA -
As a woodworker, I'd either go full refinish - OR - cleaning with products that are made for finished wood.
There aren't many (any?) other options.
hbruns.com
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:34:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By HBruns:
Nice table.
Interesting inlay.

Short of stripping or sanding the finish off to prep for new/fresh finish, cleaning is your only answer.

Don't use Mayonnaise... Lots of stuff that isn't real great for the wood. Rubbing with veg oil would be better (but still a crappy idea).

ETA -
As a woodworker, I'd either go full refinish - OR - cleaning with products that are made for finished wood.
hbruns.com
View Quote

You ain't doing anything to the wood, the water stains are 90% the old finish.  "Nourishing" finished wood is a crock, and while oil *is* great stuff for wood, it ain't as picky about it as finish marketers want you to think. Yeah, there are differences in hardness and curing time and whatnot, but you you could probably "finish" a coffee table with bacon grease and get great results.  Before the dog ate it.

The oils in the mayo are a quick and easy way to see if further attention is warranted.

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:50:43 PM EDT
[#12]
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EgPk1vcuA_I

I have used the wax with great results. Never used the restore before. They sell the wax at Home Depot. Make sure to dispose of conbustable oil rags properly afterwards. Nice looking table.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:56:23 PM EDT
[#13]

SNIP.... you could probably "finish" a coffee table with bacon grease and get great results.  Before the dog ate it.

The oils in the mayo are a quick and easy way to see if further attention is warranted.
View Quote

Not just no, we're talking HELL NO.
Vegetable oil and/or bacon grease on wood will go rancid LONG before they polymerize (harden or 'dry').
Plus, they give about ZERO protection to the wood. Boiled Linseed Oil gives "some" protection. And that stuff will actually polymerize. It just takes a few months. (BLO with 'drying' agents will harden a lot faster.)
Used over old finish, they'll just dissolve some of the dirt & gunk built up over the years. Wipe it off and you're left with a residue that will smell and attract new dirt & gunk.
Much better to use a wood-oriented cleaner or dressing.

The stuff in Mayo you're talking about will be veg oil and vinegar. The rest (egg yolk, spices, etc) is stuff that you'd want to clean off the table vs. using as a cleaning agent.
- use it if it's the only thing you have. A table like that deserves better.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 7:06:23 AM EDT
[#14]
if it's a varnish based finish. A soft cloth lightly dampened with denatured alcohol  wiped in the direction of the grain over the water stain can soften and remove the staining. Be very careful not to rub to hard or vigorously. Try it on a non visible part first.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:28:23 AM EDT
[#15]

SNIP....  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

SNIP....  

Yeah, agreed, and no I don't finish my stuff with bacon grease.  And I never meant to argue that that there weren't better solutions.  The value in forums like these is hearing different options... I chose the low road.  

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I am thinking about using Murphy’s Oil and a very fine steel wool and giving the finish a light buffing. Good or bad idea?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:23:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Its not water damage - the 'fish' is an inlay. The best you can do is to darken it to blend in.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Sand it. It's not a high dollar item.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:43:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By n0zzle:

Doesn't Murphy's Wood oil do the same thing?
View Quote
Yes, save mayo for sammiches.

If it were me, and I have done such things, I would buy Formbys furniture refinisher and strip the finish, then do orbital sand paper work, finish sanding, and then apply a finish of your choosing.  I prefer using Varathane stains and their water based polyurethane is a hard-as-nails finish that is durable enough to use on floors.  

Nothing half-assed. Only go full-assed.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:43:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EDDIECRUM] [#20]
Originally Posted By 1saxman:
Its not water damage - the 'fish' is an inlay. The best you can do is to darken it to blend in.
View Quote

Yes, I know the fish is an inlay. That is not the problem. Photo #2 shows water damage to the left of the inlay. Pretty sure I cannot get rid of the damage totally, so I am just trying to diminish the its appearance.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:44:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By mrrick:
View Quote
I concur.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:48:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By mrrick:
View Quote

That would ruin the character of the table.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:51:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EDDIECRUM] [#23]
Nice table.
Interesting inlay.

ETA -
hbruns.com
View Quote

Winner, winner. I took your suggestion and used Lemon Pledge and really cleaned the top. Sometimes less is more! Most of the visible damage is gone or barely visible. Thanks for the help. Looked at your website and you make beautiful wood products.Attachment Attached File
This is what the Pledge stripped off.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 1:28:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EDDIECRUM] [#24]
As long as I am here, this is a mesquite table I made. Bought the base in Mexico.

I wanted a hobby for when I retired and picked wood work. Bought a lot of good tools and was self taught. This table was my first project. An interior designer saw my table and offered to sell my work out of her store front. Since it was a hobby I told her I would not take orders and would only make what ever I dreamed up. Sold several items.

Had a stroke and had to stop my wood work. Later, after lots of recuperation mentally and physically I started again. I fought myself falling into my bandsaw one day, and turned it off. I looked at my hands and told myself that God gave me 10 talented fingers and I was going to die with ten. Sold all of my tools and I miss it bigly.Attachment Attached File

So I will quit here and keep all of your talented fingers.Thanks again for your help.

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By EDDIECRUM:

Winner, winner. I took your suggestion and used Lemon Pledge and really cleaned the top. Sometimes less is more!  
...snip...
View Quote
I like simple
Glad to hear you got your problem solved. Even better when it's quick & easy.

wildearp suggested Formby's Furniture Refinisher to strip the finish.
This is my preferred way to strip a finish.
On a large/flat object like your table, I'd sand the finish off as it's faster and less messy.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#26]
I like simple

On a large/flat object like your table, I'd sand the finish off as it's faster and less messy.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Winner, winner. I took your suggestion and used Lemon Pledge and really cleaned the top. Sometimes less is more!  
...snip...
I like simple

I kept my Festool sander and vac. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 1:44:26 PM EDT
[#27]

I kept my Festool sander and vac. Good stuff.
View Quote

Awesome sander.
The ETS-EC 150/3 is the one tool in the shop that spends the most time in my hand.
Unlike most other sanders, I can use it for hours and my hand will not go numb.
With that much use, the vacuum feature is absolutely essential. No brown lung from the fine sawdust.

....when you're done with sanding, you're almost halfway done.
never enough sanding.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top