Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2024 3:13:26 AM EDT
Like the thread title says, how do you go about finding other people to play with, or to work with you on projects?
A long time ago, you could put ads up on the bulletin board at the local guitar center.
How are you guys networking and finding people to make music with?
I have a bunch I want to accomplish, and my voice just isn't what I want it to be.
I want to try to reach out to people who might be interested in singing on my projects, and possibly playing out.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 8:15:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NotIssued] [#1]
Church choir?

Hang out at bars or fairs that have musicians?

Facebook?

Local HS band (more towards the parents, nkt the kids) - ask the teacher.

Not a musician, just spitballing.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 10:45:48 AM EDT
[#2]
One of my step sons is a musician and has the same problem..  
He can sing pretty damn well and can play the guitar (acoustic and electric) very well also.

He does covers, but prefers to write his own.  I honestly enjoy his covers much better.

He was lead singer/player for a small band of three, but they had way too much drama and the one guy got way too liberal, so my son just pulled the plug.

He has played a bunch of local shows at clubs and coffee houses and such, but just can't find the right folks to team up with.

Not to terribly long ago we had a pretty big party out at our place.  I booked a live band to come set up and play for like 3 hours he ended up knowing the lead singer of the band and joined them on "The Stage" (my patio) for a few songs.  It was pretty cool watching him throw down.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:00:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Usually by head hunting.
I want to see them perform before I approach them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:21:07 AM EDT
[#4]
The professional musicians that I know have never wanted to jam. I think they look at it as work.

When I was in the reserves, there were a few of us that would bring guitars to certain events and play together after work. None of us were exceptional, and music was not the reason for our get together.

As my kids are getting older and doing more music, we're discovering that there are some community music groups out there.  I would suggest checking local instructors and stores that may know about the groups. Don't forget local colleges. There's a community symphony orchestra here that I never knew about until the kids started lessons there.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:28:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Local FB group or maybe Bandmix.  Bandmix was hit or miss for us but if you want to play covers or stale blues rock stuff there are shitloads of guys on there looking for the same thing.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:58:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you have a Sam Ash? The one across town has open mic nights. They have an area with drums etc in the middle of the store.

I've never done it. I have more guitars than ability.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:24:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I often see ads posted on Craigslist for musicians. Under Community, if I recall.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:23:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys.
I'll probably wind up putting an ad on Craigslist or something.
I want to make original stuff, but I'm  just not happy with my voice.
I think a few of my songs would be pretty damned good if I could sing worth a damn or get someone else to do it.
It seems like you could throw a rock in any direction and hit a bunch of guitarists.
I bought a drum kit and taught myself how to play because reliable drummers that are willing to put in the work are unicorns. Lol.
It seems like singers are tough to find as well.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 11:47:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ButchA61] [#9]
My experience has been through "word of mouth" going around town...  
"Man, you gotta here this dude! He plays *everything* and not only that - he can rock!"

1st actual "real band" - live, on stage, gigs in the bars & clubs:
Rocky & The Runarounds.  I ended up being one of the "Runarounds" as lead guitar player.
But as hilarious as this sounds, I had to get military approval from the US Coast Guard.
Friday nights & Saturday nights at the local bar in town.
The only #1 issue:  I looked like Rick Nielsen from Cheap Trick, all clean cut, short hair (obviously!).
The rest of the band was all into black leather, long hair, etc... but we had a blast!'

2nd actual "real band" - rehearsing, working it out, and trying to find a gig somewhere, all these decades later...
Will's Attic, was the name we chose for our band, as a basic 3 piece outfit.
We were all school bus drivers within the county public school system, and learned of each other, what each other played, etc...
One thing led to another and we decided to meet at Will's house and get to know one another better, and than jam.
Will: Leader/Drums.  We rehearsed in a large upstairs room that was acoustically soundproofed, so we dubbed it "Will's Attic" and the name stuck.
John: Bass/harmony vocals.  John was so cool, relaxed, laid back, and always had ideas about chord structure, bass lines, overall rhythm.
Me: Lead guitar, vocals.  I did my best at singing hard rock, but due to my range, I just couldn't quite hit those high notes without blowing a blood vessel!

Sadly, things weren't going well within the school bus county school district, and Will quit, I transferred, and John (as the more "senior" of our group) retired.
It was fun while it lasted.  But getting to the point... I look at Craigslist a few times, but see all these young hip hop people posting up stuff, or some nasty, snarling, vicious, hardcore, heavy metal musician, posting up wanting to meet others.

*sigh*  "Grandpa rock" might be viewed as Oldies in today's world, but the music was the best and really meant something too!

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 6:15:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By just-mike:
Thanks guys.
I'll probably wind up putting an ad on Craigslist or something.
I want to make original stuff, but I'm  just not happy with my voice.
I think a few of my songs would be pretty damned good if I could sing worth a damn or get someone else to do it.
It seems like you could throw a rock in any direction and hit a bunch of guitarists.
I bought a drum kit and taught myself how to play because reliable drummers that are willing to put in the work are unicorns. Lol.
It seems like singers are tough to find as well.
View Quote

Plenty of guitarists but not many with the chops to play anything of substance.  Do check out Bandmix and if you don't find anyone in your area you don't have to pay at all.  It does cost like $13 a month to be able to send people messages, though, so if you do find anyone you can only contact them by paying.  We probably got our money back out of it searching for our replacement guitarist.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:05:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Craigslist, get in with a few people and that branches off to other people, eventually you can find the right people or they find you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top