Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/11/2024 10:39:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DrMark]
So... someone in the family wants a GoldenDoodle.  They love Goldens but they had always been a non-starter due to allergies; Doodles have opened the opportunity up.

I know there are pure bred Goldens and pure bred Poodles, but the Doodles are mixed breed by definition, so it opens up variability.  

What is the arfcom hive mind's advice on how to buy a GoldenDoodle and increase the successes of getting a good dog?  

Edit to Add:  Pictures of your Doodle are a plus.  

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:41:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#1]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:43:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Just go get a poodle. Once you mix, there’s no guarantee about the hypoallergenic trait
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:44:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

We lost Rey very recently to cancer at barely 7 years old. Best dog I ever had and it’s not even close. We got her from a local breeder with a good reputation. Doodles have been popular enough for several years that there are some around in rescues so you should probably Google there.

Dusty in here. I really miss her
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:46:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Manchu65] [#4]
Through a reputable breeder. Get ready to pay big bucks though. These two were $1500 each

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:46:29 AM EDT
[#5]
It's kind of a gamble on what temperament you will get out of the dog. I have seen them be great dogs but so many back yard breeders have made them more of a status symbol than a dog with qualities anyone would actually seek out.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:47:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The best dog in the world
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:49:55 AM EDT
[#7]
If you're really allergic to Golden Doodles, give them golden showers on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:51:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Manchu65:
Through a reputable breeder. Get ready to pay big bucks though. These two were $1500 each

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/335154/IMG_1172-3211531.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/335154/IMG_4227-3211537.jpg
View Quote

This, kid brought one in Va. Big puppy that knocks over grandkids and can jump on top of the kitchen island.  Other than not knowing his own body mass and barreling over the kids, good with kids.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:59:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Labradoodle here

We got lucky.  Went to the local dive bar restaurant.  They have a bulletin board.  Puppies were posted on the board.  Went and met the family that night and came home with our girl.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:59:53 AM EDT
[#10]
So maybe this spawns a secondary question...

Are there proven methods of vetting Doodle breeders as reputable?  

When I was a kid, my dad did it with breeders for pure bred Goldens (AKC registered, show dog champion lines, etc) but Doodles are mixed breeds.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:01:17 AM EDT
[#11]
We love our F1. His dad was the standard poodle, purebred. Mom was the golden, also purebred. Almost no sheddding. Very very smart. Excitable, love able and takes discipline.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:02:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fushaw] [#12]
We went with a F1b (75% poodle and 25% retriever).  This increases the chances of getting more of the allergenic effects. Ours is a male standard poodle bred with a 50/50 female.

She's pretty much a poodle but with some golden tendencies.

Great dogs despite what haters say.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:05:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack_Rackham] [#13]
Just get a Standard Poodle.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:07:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Mall-Ninja:
Just go get a poodle. Once you mix, there’s no guarantee about the hypoallergenic trait
View Quote

Poodles are too smart for most owners.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:10:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DrMark:

When I was a kid, my dad did it with breeders for pure bred Goldens (AKC registered, show dog champion lines, etc) but Doodles are mixed breeds.
View Quote

Talk to them?

Word of mouth and repeat owners seems to be plenty enough for the breeder across the section from me. Talk to the breeders, see if any of their previous dogs and owners are willing to talk to you or show you their dog.

Hell, talk to the neighbors, might give you some insight into how they treat their animals.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#16]
My sister has two golden doodles and I have a yellow lab. I love my lab, but there’s something about walking into her house and not seeing a shitload of fur all over the floor.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#17]
We have a labradoodle.
Once I got over the fact he wasn’t a curly haired lab…. He looked like a smaller Irish Wolfhound most of his life
85lb lover that doesn’t have a real job.
Easy to train, super smart and now close to 14 years old.
Gonna miss him when he’s gone…
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By HK-GUY45:
My sister has two golden doodles and I have a yellow lab. I love my lab, but there’s something about walking into her house and not seeing a shitload of fur all over the floor.
View Quote

I loved my lab as well as my golden but having no hair to clean up after has made the doodle amazing. She's also a very sweet and smart dog so there's that too
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Sketchy breeders.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:20:13 AM EDT
[#20]
All the rage for the last few years, so do your research on the breeder and be prepared to pay the money.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#21]
A neighbor in back has one… Likes to run straight at me & nip at my legs, then turn & haul ass back home.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:37:29 AM EDT
[#22]
You fit a poodle in there somewhere.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:57:00 AM EDT
[#23]
10-15 years ago those were called mutts.

Or poodle/golden mix.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:32:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By DrMark:

View Quote

Vetting is the same as other breeds I would think. Word of mouth, face to face meetings with the breeder,  involvement in the process from the beginning to when you pick up your pup. We lucked out with Zoey who we knew as a family acquaintance.  The brown one Leia was more challenging but we found her through a breeder who breeds Golden Doodles for service animals work for veterans, disabled, etc.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:47:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MMcCall] [#25]
Got both. No regerts.  The Doodle was a surrender/rescue, we got really lucky finding her.  Sweetest thing in the world.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

"Reputable" breeders don't breed doodle mutts. Even the person who first bred them regrets doing it.

We have a goldendoodle, he's a good dog. But don't kid yourself, they don't come from reputable, responsible breeders.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#27]

My 2 doodles. Top is a goldendoodle and bottom is a labradoodle
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:55:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By shack357:

"Reputable" breeders don't breed doodle mutts. Even the person who first bred them regrets doing it.

We have a goldendoodle, he's a good dog. But don't kid yourself, they don't come from reputable, responsible breeders.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Well throughout history isn't this how new breeds came about?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#29]
I don’t know but will be looking for one down the road.  

We’ve only had a couple of dogs and they were a poodle and a golden lab.  If we could get the traits of both in one that doesn’t shed much it would be a perfect dog for us.  

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#30]
First: lose 20 points of your IQ
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

That's cheap.
A quality Golden Retriever with traceable lineage, papers etc is $2500-$3500 these days.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By MilHouse-556:

That's cheap.
A quality Golden Retriever with traceable lineage, papers etc is $2500-$3500 these days.
View Quote

Noted. That was 10 years ago for one, 4 years ago for the other.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:06:26 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

Uuuuh, what?  Aren't they one of the most popular mutt breeds out there?

I am glad we found ours from a family that said "hey, let's have puppies" instead of dealing with the breeder bullshit.  They also said it was their last time ever doing such stupid shit again lol
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:07:13 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Okay. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:09:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RattleCanAR] [#36]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Best dog I have ever had.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By homebaker:
It's kind of a gamble on what temperament you will get out of the dog. I have seen them be great dogs but so many back yard breeders have made them more of a status symbol than a dog with qualities anyone would actually seek out.
View Quote

Some friends have 2 of them. The first one they got is awesome, the second is a pain in their ass!
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:18:38 PM EDT
[#38]
We have one, know the breeder. Ours is supposedly to be a micro but he’s kinda on the big side for that, like 30-35 lbs. people behind us have one it looks like a golden only small. Ours looks more poodle.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#39]

Cute dog. Mine sleeps on her back just like that!
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:10:23 PM EDT
[#40]
I would just get a standard Poodle.  Smart, usually easy to train and good with people.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:24:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By homebaker:
View Quote

Get one with a volhard test.

https://www.appenzellers.org/uploads/6/0/7/4/60747419/volhards_puppy_aptitude_test.pdf
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:55:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Into_the_Void:

I am glad we found ours from a family that said "hey, let's have puppies" instead of dealing with the breeder bullshit.  They also said it was their last time ever doing such stupid shit again lol
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Into_the_Void:

They are. But there is no standard. Wavy, straight or curly hair. Micro, mini, medium or large. Most any color.

They're good dogs for sure but if the breeders cared ad much about the "breed" as they do about money there would be more work towards a standard. As it is, a doodle can look like almost anything.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:00:24 PM EDT
[#43]
My advice is dont, because you'll pay out the nose for the hipster version of a mutt. Moreover, they wont take care of it so it will be a matted mess. The whole doodle phase is fucking dumb for fucking dumb people. I said it.

But if you insist on being dumb, try the shelter. Theres sure to be a few there for pennies on the dollar.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:50:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottsGT] [#44]
Just brought home a mini Berne doodle today.  Wife found her online about 150 miles away. Made arrangements this morning and went and got her.  She’s a cute little shit.  Wife always swore she would never spend that kind of money on a dog, but here we are.  
Our daughter picked up a golden doodle a couple years back and she has been wonderful.  I think that’s what pushed my wife over the edge.  Besides, it’s only money. We’re doing ok.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:15:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By ScottsGT:
Just brought home a mini Berne doodle today.  Wife found her online about 150 miles away. Made arrangements this morning and went and got her.  She's a cute little shit.  Wife always swore she would never spend that kind of money on a dog, but here we are.  
Our daughter picked up a golden doodle a couple years back and she has been wonderful.  I think that's what pushed my wife over the edge.  Besides, it's only money. We're doing ok.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/3038/cDIzvS.jpg
View Quote
Your dog is a mutant! It has a human hand growing out of its' back!

Seriously though, cute pup
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:19:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Don’t. Just find a responsible poodle breeder and get a poodle.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:20:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Find a disreputable backyard breeder that threw a poodle in with a golden retriever and pay a shit ton of money for a dog that may or may not have the breed characteristics of one or the other parents…

Pretty simple, ackchuwally…

Or, pay a reputable breeder about half the price of the designer mutt and get a dog with good genes, good breed characteristics and a solid foundation for health and well being.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:25:15 PM EDT
[#48]
We have a golden doodle. She is the derpiest dog I've ever met. Sweet girl, not a lot going on upstairs.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:25:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xpired] [#49]
Go meet the breeders. Meet the parents. Meet the puppies.

Bailey is an Irish setter/poodle mix. Three years old and about 70lbs. She came from a "sketchy" home breeder who had a pure bred setter and a standard poodle. Paid $1000 for her and she has been the smartest, kindest, and all around great companion you could ask for.

if you're paying more money make sure they do genetic testing so you can know potential problems before hand.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:27:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top