Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2023 5:24:46 PM EDT
I’ve been hauling hazmat since 2007 and never seen this before. If true anyone have a link to the traffic code saying this is legal? I still stop at all railroad crossings.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 5:35:29 PM EDT
[#1]
The law doesn’t tell you what things are legal. It tells you what things are illegal.

Every state does their own thing, but as far as I know the only roadway in Michigan you can’t stop on are the limited-access freeways. Now stopping and parking, or stopping and impeding traffic, is something else entirely.

I’m not aware of any law which would prohibit a commercial vehicle stopping at an intersection - especially a railroad crossing.

I could be wrong though.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 5:54:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PvtJoeBauers] [#2]
Isn’t it just informing following vehicles that it will be stopping regardless of any traffic control devices? ie. Telling dipshits to expect a stop

Maybe I’m not seeing what issue you have with it. It doesn’t say it stops at ONLY uncontrolled crossings.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 5:59:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Well Duuh!?!?!  If its a controlled RR Crossing, it has crossing gates. Truck driver won't plow through those gates (lets hope.).  But uncontrolled means no gates, so the decal advises following vehicles to be aware of that.

Seems like a no brainer to me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#4]
It's just to let the usual idiots behind him know that he's going to stop at railroad crossings even without the flashy things and gatey things.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 6:04:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I don’t see the problem?
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sanlanman:
Well Duuh!?!?!  If its a controlled RR Crossing, it has crossing gates. Truck driver won't plow through those gates (lets hope.).  But uncontrolled means no gates, so the decal advises following vehicles to be aware of that.

Seems like a no brainer to me.
View Quote

Yup. Isn't this the same thing all schoolbuses are supposed to do?

Whether they're hauling kids or hazmat, I'd prefer that the driver takes the precaution of stopping and checking/looking first, just in case
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Is stopping at railroads law? I always assumed that was a CYA thing.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 7:26:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
View Quote

Any CMV carrying passengers or hazmat must stop at all railroad crossings not marked "Exempt".

Fun fact: You can't legally shift while crossing.  An automatic/automated transmission truck technically must be placed in manual mode.

"When it is safe to do so, the driver may drive the commercial motor vehicle across the tracks in a gear that permits the commercial motor vehicle to complete the crossing without a change of gears. The driver must not shift gears while crossing the tracks."
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:04:28 PM EDT
[#9]
We have RR crossings around here that don’t have lights or arms.  I’m guessing he’s saying I’m going to stop and you’d better not be too close.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By PhuzzyGnu:

Any CMV carrying passengers or hazmat must stop at all railroad crossings not marked "Exempt".

Fun fact: You can't legally shift while crossing.  An automatic/automated transmission truck technically must be placed in manual mode.

"When it is safe to do so, the driver may drive the commercial motor vehicle across the tracks in a gear that permits the commercial motor vehicle to complete the crossing without a change of gears. The driver must not shift gears while crossing the tracks."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PhuzzyGnu:
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

Cool deal thanks!
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Right after I took this picture I followed him as he rolled over a railroad track without stopping. I stopped and had my 4 ways on like I always do. Maybe I should get one of these signs so I can disregard the law like he did.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 10mmillie:
Right after I took this picture I followed him as he rolled over a railroad track without stopping. I stopped and had my 4 ways on like I always do. Maybe I should get one of these signs so I can disregard the law like he did.
View Quote

If they get caught, I believe it is a mandatory 30 day license suspension for the first offense. I certainly don't take any chances when it comes to RR crossings.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

I'm confused. Please explain, again, what you have a problem with on his truck, and exactly what your problem is with it.

I could be wrong, but based on what you're saying now, this thread only makes sense to me if you think the sign says that he does NOT stop at railroad crossings.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:32:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I’m saying they are not stopping at controlled railroad crossings like the sign on the tank says. If the tracks have an arm or lights they are rolling through without stopping like the sign on the tanker says. If the crossing is just a sign they stop. I can’t find in the FMCSA or Texas Traffic Code where that sign makes it legal for them to not stop at controlled crossings.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 4:37:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bluemax_1] [#15]
I’m saying they are not stopping at controlled railroad crossings like the sign on the tank says. If the tracks have an arm or lights they are rolling through without stopping like the sign on the tanker says. If the crossing is just a sign they stop. I can’t find in the FMCSA or Texas Traffic Code where that sign makes it legal for them to not stop at controlled crossings.
View Quote

Ah. Wow...

Until you brought it up, I didn't really notice the ambiguity in the wording of that sign. I can now see how people lacking common sense, or an understanding of the laws as written, could misconstrue the sign to mean, "This truck stops at all uncontrolled crossings, but will not stop at controlled crossings if the gates are up".

Apparently, both you and the tanker driver misunderstood the sign, and the other driver is also ignorant of the laws as written. Someone should record it on a dashcam or something, and send the video footage to the company.

I guess the signmakers decided that, "This vehicle STOPS at all Railroad crossings, including uncontrolled crossings" had too many words/made the font too small, and a simple "This vehicle STOPS at ALL Railroad crossings" wasn't clear enough?
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 7:17:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Gunner226:

I'm confused. Please explain, again, what you have a problem with on his truck, and exactly what your problem is with it.

I could be wrong, but based on what you're saying now, this thread only makes sense to me if you think the sign says that he does NOT stop at railroad crossings.
View Quote

Do you understand that any vehicle bearing placards is required by law to stop at ALL railroad crossings, regardless of type?

That’s why he’s asking.  That’s why this sign is bizarre.   The issue being, the sign indicates the truck isn’t, by law, already required to stop at any railroad crossing.   Why add in the weirdness of stating ‘uncontrolled’ crossings, instead of the industry standard wording of ‘all’ crossings?  

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 2:39:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluemax_1] [#17]
Originally Posted By Woodchuck1:

Do you understand that any vehicle bearing placards is required by law to stop at ALL railroad crossings, regardless of type?

That’s why he’s asking.  That’s why this sign is bizarre.   The issue being, the sign indicates the truck isn’t, by law, already required to stop at any railroad crossing.   Why add in the weirdness of stating ‘uncontrolled’ crossings, instead of the industry standard wording of ‘all’ crossings?  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Woodchuck1:
Originally Posted By Gunner226:

The sign is intended to warn the tailgating morons, who tend to drive waaayyyy too close, and aren't expecting people in front of them to stop. "Why'd ya stop, man? I only hit you cuz you stopped out of the blue. There ain't nuthin there, man..."

I agree, though. It makes sense to simply have a sign that says, "This truck STOPS at ALL Railroad crossings".

And from his description of his observations, the driver of said tanker apparently isn't aware that he's breaking the law.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 2:10:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:

The sign is intended to warn the tailgating morons, who tend to drive waaayyyy too close, and aren't expecting people in front of them to stop. "Why'd ya stop, man? I only hit you cuz you stopped out of the blue. There ain't nuthin there, man..."

I agree, though. It makes sense to simply have a sign that says, "This truck STOPS at ALL Railroad crossings".

And from his description of his observations, the driver of said tanker apparently isn't aware that he's breaking the law.
View Quote

Is it Canadian? Canada hazmat drivers don’t have to stop at controlled crossings.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 3:49:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Woodchuck1] [#19]
Originally Posted By Lungbuster:

Is it Canadian? Canada hazmat drivers don’t have to stop at controlled crossings.
View Quote

It’s a Trimac trailer…so there’s a good chance.  

Hadn’t realized they don’t have to stop at controlled crossings.    Thanks for mentioning that.  

@10mmillie

Were in Canada when you snapped this pic, or the trailer was plated in Canada?

Link Posted: 11/4/2023 6:48:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RattleCanAR] [#20]
Originally Posted By PvtJoeBauers:
Isn’t it just informing following vehicles that it will be stopping regardless of any traffic control devices? ie. Telling dipshits to expect a stop

Maybe I’m not seeing what issue you have with it. It doesn’t say it stops at ONLY uncontrolled crossings.
View Quote

Yep

Just like a school bus.

Pretty sure that truck is empty.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 7:21:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

Pretty sure that truck is empty.
View Quote

Loaded or empty it is placarded and therefore has to stop at controlled and uncontrolled railroad crossings unless they are posted "exempt".

I'm still not sure what the whole issue with the OP is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top