Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 4/29/2024 12:26:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LRShooter]
I'm considering making some trips.  Unfortunately, the wife nor the kids would be able to come.  On one hand I'm thinking just do it, on the other it seems like it might be a little weird.

First one is going to the Indy 500.  I've watched every race over the past 50+ years except one.  I've never been to one.  I think it might be kind of weird to be sitting in the stands alone.  6–7-day road trip from SLC.

The other one would be a 30-day road trip up to Alaska and back.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:28:17 PM EDT
[#1]
If it is for something that is your interest area or hobby, that makes a lot of sense.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Doing a solo canoe camping trip next week.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:35:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ambridge77] [#3]
Many solo vacations when I was a bachelor.

Many fewer vacations while married with children.

ETA - My "vacations" now are just not going to work,
         at home, alone or with family.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By LRShooter:
View Quote

The solo trip to the Indy 500 is fine, especially if no one else is into racing.  Personally I’d fly there.

The 30-day solo trip might be a tad excessive.  Not sure the age of your kids but the wife may feel a bit of resentment over that one…especially if she says, “oh, thats fine….do what you want”.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:36:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Can you find a friend to go?

I went to a superbike race alone once.  It sucked.

I just wanted away from my ex wife
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:37:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:
If it is for something that is your interest area or hobby, that makes a lot of sense.
View Quote

I've wanted to both of those for the last 50+ years.  Something has always come up or been more important though.  My wife has no interest in doing either as well.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#7]
It’s not for me.

I have a buddy who goes on cruises every year solo. He always appears to have a good time. Usually meets some single women or women pretending to be single…
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:38:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Wife goes on vacation by herself all the time.  She doesn't work, I do.  When I have time off we go together.  When she it off cruising around the world I go and visit friends and fraternity brothers that I don't get a chance to see when she is home.  I'm able to work those around my work schedule when she is traveling.  

It works for us, been married 43 years
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Twisted10:
Can you find a friend to go?

I went to a superbike race alone once.  It sucked.

I just wanted away from my ex wife
View Quote

I've been to Indy/IMSA/local drag and oval races on my own before.  It been decades though.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't see anything wrong with the Indy 500 one.  The 30 day solo to Alaska is a bit 'much' but if your family is cool with it, go for it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Most of my best vacations have been alone. I get to go to places others won't go and do things that others wouldn't do and I get to do it on my schedule.

Travel with a good friends group can be great but everyone has a life and it's hard to coordinate anything more than a weekend.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:40:53 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife is actually encouraging the Alaska trip knowing I've always wanted to do it.   There had been talk of here flying up to Anchorage to spend a few days there.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:41:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cavedog] [#13]
Everyone should have alone time.  I would do the Alaska thing.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:41:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Kind of hard to go on vacation with someone if you're alone to begin with
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I have gone on quite a few trips alone - hunting, backpacking, etc.  From Day 1, I made it clear to the missus that I had certain interests and our relationship would not change that.  She was always welcome to go, but if she didn't, I was going anyway.  She's completely OK with it, 40+ years now.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:42:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I have been to Europe multiple times solo.  

Go see what I want, when I want.  Nobody saying "How many tanks do you need to see?"  "How many castles do we need to go to?"  "How many pubs do you need to stop in?"  "Why are you so drunk all the time?"

Was a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Go and shoot the shit with the people next to you

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:44:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ironmaker] [#18]
I voted "I've done it" sort of.

At the start of Covid, March 2020, I was asked by my company to go to Buffalo and be temp plant manager.  I went, leaving wife and daughters at home, for 3 months.  I spent every weekend and some evenings exploring all over western NY, I have a great time.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:44:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: blupupher] [#19]
I take multi day solo motorcycle trips. Wife has no desire to do it, and does not mind me doing it.
I don't like riding with others because I like to stop when I want to. Some days ride for 12+ hours just because.
Have been on a couple of rides with others, and did not enjoy it. Different bikes means different fuel stops (my bike can do ~250 miles per tank, one guy I went with was needing fuel every 100), different bathroom needs, different appetites (I don't stop to eat till I am done for the day), different endurance (many times I ride from one fuel up to the next, around 4-5 hours sometimes), etc.
My wife does trips with her sister without me, my wife does not want to do anything alone.
We also take family vacations (with kids and without).
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:48:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Annual trip, EX pulled her usual shit and said I'm not going as an act that will really show me who's in charge and making decisions. I said fine, which she thought was it, then I packed and left with out her. It was a great trip. There was a wedding reception one night and I got to mingle with people from England. Great time.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:49:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I highly recommend solo vacations. It's the best way to vacation, do what you want when you want without having any concerns about what anyone else wants to do or not do.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:49:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm considering making some trips.  Unfortunately, the wife nor the kids would be able to come.  On one hand I'm thinking just do it, on the other it seems like it might be a little weird.

First one is going to the Indy 500.  I've watched everyone over the past 50+ years except one.  I've never been to one.  I think it might be kind of weird to be sitting in the stands alone.  6–7-day road trip from SLC.

View Quote

Sometimes we'll take short trips alone or with one of the kids.  I get more vacation time than she does.  We also have a small homestead with animals that need care.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#23]

First one is going to the Indy 500.  I've watched everyone over the past 50+ years except one.  I've never been to one.  
View Quote

Need tickets?

I have 4 extra, covered, right across from the pit entrance
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#24]
All my trips to Europe are alone.  I meet friends on the other side so not sure that counts.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:51:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I do it all the time.  I’m single though, not sure I would do it with a wife.  

Do the kid and wife just not want to go?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:52:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I prefer going on vacation alone. Then, it's my vacation on my schedule especially if it's a racing event.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Trip to Alaska is driving or flying in and renting car ?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:55:07 PM EDT
[#28]
I've done many solo vacations in the US and overseas.

When I was married, most of my vacations were with my wife, but we also had separate vacations. It's natural for people to have different interests and different preferences. Nothing wrong with doing a couples trip without the kids, or sending kids to visit their grandparents or to sleepover camp, or a hunting trip without your wife/gf, or her visiting her sister without you as chaperone, etc. On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with a family taking every vacation together because of shared interests, rather than guilt or insecurity or lack of trust.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:55:15 PM EDT
[#29]
I did it often before I got married.  Mostly backpacking trips off into the woods alone,  but a few city trips as well.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:56:00 PM EDT
[#30]
I have neither a wife or children so take my opinion how you will.
I think it's extremely selfish for either spouse to vacation alone and even more so with children involved. I question why someone is married if they don't want to be with their family.
I know I'm rigged and very old school in my thinking.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:57:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Headed to Munich tomorrow alone.

Ireland in the fall with family.

I'll enjoy the Munich trip more. Not because I hate my family or anything, it's just easier to do what I want in my timeframe without having to account for other opinions.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By bayouhazard:

When I was married, most of my vacations were with my wife, but we also had separate vacations. It's natural for people to have different interests and different preferences. Nothing wrong with doing a couples trip without the kids, or sending kids to visit their grandparents or to sleepover camp, or a hunting trip without your wife/gf, or her visiting her sister without you as chaperone, etc. On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with a family taking every vacation together because of shared interests, rather than guilt or insecurity or lack of trust.
View Quote

30 days though?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:07:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#33]
Often go solo, by design or by necessity. Prolly every other trip on average.  If I want to do something, I'm not letting lack of joiners deter me. Make sure couple times of year to do family trips, but if they can't/won't (often skill deficits) so then it's on me.

Luckily a good part of the time I can find someone, friend or someone in the network to join me. If not I'm off. Lot of travelers, esp overland riders do this - BlackDogGS documents his often.

Go and have fun man
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:08:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By livfreely:

30 days though?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bayouhazard:

30 days though?

I've done a fair amount more than 30 days

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:09:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By ranging-by-zipcode:
Trip to Alaska is driving or flying in and renting car ?
View Quote

Driving.  If I go it won't be on a schedule.  I'll just do what I want to do.  Drive only 100 miles a day vs 600 or stay an extra day in one place.  The decision will be made in the moment.  I'm really wanting to see all of the stuff along the way.  Make it about the journey, not the destination.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:10:21 PM EDT
[#36]
I've been single since Obama's first term and if you don't count deployments I've never vacationed with anyone.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:12:04 PM EDT
[#37]
i think it's probably healthy to have some alone time.
Also something like indy 500, entirely possible the wife and kids don't give a flying fuck about it. It's a heck of a pain in the butt and more expensive to drag them along and buy them tickets.
maybe just buy a ticket instead of the 6 or 7 day roadtrip.

Alaska excursion might be roughly the same boat, if they aren't all that interested it's going to be a lot cheaper to go on your own and you can do things they might not be able to.

Conversely if these are things they are really excited about, it's a bit of a dick move to exclude them.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#38]
I used to do 1-2 week solo backpacking/hunting/fishing trips solo. My wife was never happy about it but she knew who I was when she married me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#39]
30 days though?
View Quote

It sounds unusual but I think it depends on the situation. Little kids, I wouldn't do it. Teens or no kids, maybe if your spouse is honestly OK with it. In an update, OP mentioned his wife might fly to Alaska and join him for several days, which to me significantly changes the dynamic.

I know work travel is different but early in my career I worked offshore. Four to five weeks away from home. I was single at the time but many coworkers were married with kids. That pales in comparison to .mil overseas deployments. Again, there's a difference between business and pleasure travel, but in both situations the spouse is at home without you. If you have kids, they're without their father for that time, and your wife is raising them without your help. For my old coworkers who were married 20+ years and their kinds were mostly grown, that's very different than having little ones at home.

One size doesn't fit all.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:20:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Obo2] [#40]
Originally Posted By Explorer225:
I think it's extremely selfish for either spouse to vacation alone and even more so with children involved. I question why someone is married if they don't want to be with their family.
View Quote

people have different interests.
My wife isn't going to go elk hunting and I don't want to go to some fucking gay falsetto singer concert.
Suppose it all depends how much vacation time you can get, if you get like 2 weeks a year and you just go to the bahamas and leave the wife at home that's a dick move. If yall do shit together all the time and have some divergent interests it makes sense.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Explorer225:
View Quote

Unfortunately, we have a severely disabled 20-year-old son that can't travel.  Additionally, we don't have anyone else that can watch him.  

It's been common for my wife to go alone to visit family in other states, or me to go off with a friend a couple times a year.  Unfortunately, my friend is only interested in going to Vegas or a cruise and drinking all of the time.  I am looking for something a little different.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:27:32 PM EDT
[#42]
I haven't done it, but I am probably going to have to some time this year because my family would be bored to tears with a couple of the things I want to do.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:28:39 PM EDT
[#43]
I went to Torres del Paine National Park by myself it was a great experience.  It would have been better to have gone with someone but I was solo...
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:32:39 PM EDT
[#44]
If your wife has no interest in the trip and one of you have to be home to care for your son, I would do both.  30 days seems a bit long, though, especially since she won't be "off."
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:32:48 PM EDT
[#45]
I've done quite a few trips on my own..When the Ex and I split, I decided not to let that ruin my life..So when my son graduated boot in the Marines, I went to Vegas for a week, then over to San Diego  for a long weekend to see him graduate....Have also flown into Vegas since all alone for a blow off steam trip..Want to do a cruise someday, wouldn't mind finding a female travel companion, but if not will likely still go...
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#46]

Driving.  If I go it won't be on a schedule.  I'll just do what I want to do.  Drive only 100 miles a day vs 600 or stay an extra day in one place.  The decision will be made in the moment.  I'm really wanting to see all of the stuff along the way.  Make it about the journey, not the destination.
View Quote

Sounds like a good plan to me as long as your wife is okay with it
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:40:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By macaho45:
If your wife has no interest in the trip and one of you have to be home to care for your son, I would do both.  30 days seems a bit long, though, especially since she won't be "off."
View Quote

Her being alone with the kids is definitely a concern.  She says go, but I know problems will probably come up while I'm gone.

30 days is a rough estimate.  I figure 7000 miles of driving for the round trip.  That makes for only 230 or so miles a day, or 4 hours or so.  The first and last 700 miles could certainly be done in a day each.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#48]
I go solo every year, but I'm single  

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:42:59 PM EDT
[#49]
I use to spend three months alone every year bird hunting.  It was great.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:47:46 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm currently on vacation until the 18th, alone.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top