Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2023 6:39:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bondservant2]
Starting to see the final drops of the year for the hard-to-find stuff and I've done pretty darn well this year for many of the allocated bottles that are well known and make it to my State.

This year I've gotten bottles of (3) of the (4) Stagg releases, a couple of the EH Taylor barrel proofs, ECBP c923, a couple of Elmer T Lee , had a bottle of the Penelope Rio in my hand but didn't know what it was , both Michters 10-year, Weller CYPB, Full Proof, Antique 107 and 12.  Also a few of the Limited Edition bottles from the major brands....i.e Jack Daniels , Old Forester, Four Roses .....really a good year and all at MSRP (or close to).

So how are you guys/ gals doing...?
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 7:27:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Most places around here have gone to some sort of point system. Places that haven’t gone that route have ridiculous prices on allocated items.

I used to spend a good bit of time roaming liquor stores looking for hard to find items but it’s just not worth it to me any more.

I’ll go to a couple raffles and might get lucky. I have enough points at one place to buy something decent if I can get there when they have something I want.

Link Posted: 12/4/2023 9:45:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Hoping some of the BTAC lineup is going to start hitting the stores soon….my body is ready.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 12:26:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Eht small batch, Booker's Charlie's batch, and high west midwinter night's dram.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 12:37:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 12:40:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raverill] [#5]
Christmas party tasting tonight

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 5:15:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Picked up my 3rd Weller CYPB of the year at this mornings raffle.
Mine was the last name drawn and it was all that was left - if that gives you an idea of the quality of items in the raffle. To be fair it was a small showing and by invitation only.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 12:19:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I havent been hunting much so all I have managed is a EC barrel proof 923.  Signed up for a pretty big raffle but have not been drawn yet.  They had some good bottles and it goes on for a few days.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 10:31:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File

Today’s score

Attachment Attached File

Last week’s
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Big raffle today in town and we were drawn way down the list Still was able to grab a Jack Daniels 2023 Special Release Twice-Barreled Heritage Rye.
Can’t complain.at MSRP.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:36:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Pretty good.  Lots of Bookers by me, I picked up Hooten Young, Eagle Rare, Hardin's Creek from either lottery calls or just grabbed off the allocated shelf.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:56:26 PM EDT
[#11]
My local store has quite a bit.  Picked up a barrel select of full proof.

They had Lot B for 499.  15yr PVW for 1299.  Stagg jr was $150.  Big bottles of eagle rare (IMO highly overrated) for 69. He gets quite a bit and I was in a hurry.  I do know the owner so I'll go back when I back home.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#12]
So Im new to the bourbon game. thanks to my buddy at work who is a bourbon maniac, he introduced me to a bunch of Buffalo Trace brands. so i got hooked and now realizing what a crazy thing to get into! its so hard to find this stuff around here (East TN). most places you have to be a regular or know somebody. if not then good luck. trying to find something like Weller full proof or Blantons is near impossible or get ready to pay big. buying stuff at msrp is damn near impossible. its almost a love / hate interest. anyone else experience this?

i went to 2 places that was receiving their allocation, literally had the Buffalo Trace and another truck or 2 outside making their drop. saw all kinds of cases of good stuff being brought in and both literally wouldn't sell me anything! basically lied to my face. you would think this brown liquid would cure cancer, hell maybe it does. anyway, kind of frustrating.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#13]
The store by my house takes care of those they know. Those that are there regularly and have been spending money with them for years. The owner is tight lipped, as are his crew, unless you earn his blessing.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 11:29:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By whitson01:
So Im new to the bourbon game. thanks to my buddy at work who is a bourbon maniac, he introduced me to a bunch of Buffalo Trace brands. so i got hooked and now realizing what a crazy thing to get into! its so hard to find this stuff around here (East TN). most places you have to be a regular or know somebody. if not then good luck. trying to find something like Weller full proof or Blantons is near impossible or get ready to pay big. buying stuff at msrp is damn near impossible. its almost a love / hate interest. anyone else experience this?

i went to 2 places that was receiving their allocation, literally had the Buffalo Trace and another truck or 2 outside making their drop. saw all kinds of cases of good stuff being brought in and both literally wouldn't sell me anything! basically lied to my face. you would think this brown liquid would cure cancer, hell maybe it does. anyway, kind of frustrating.
View Quote

It’s a crazy thing right now with Buffalo Trace products. But there are PLENTY of other bourbons out there to enjoy without the hassle.
Jack Daniels is producing some PHENOMENAL whisky currently.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I really haven't been out looking this year, it's too rare to find anything allocated.

Almost every store around here has gone to some sort of points system or they have allocated stuff in a locked case with higher than secondary prices on everything.

I have managed to get a Weller 12 and two E H Taylor small batch lately.

Tomorrow I am going to a raffle that has a pretty good selection and I get three tickets (based on points and store pick purchases).

Maybe I'll get lucky but last year I was about the 200th ticket drawn and there was not much good left.

Here is the list. The items highlighted in yellow are "tier 1" and if you happened to get drawn more than once you could only purchase one tier 1 item.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:49:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By justsayin:

Good luck!
View Quote

Well, all the really high end stuff was gone by the time I was drawn.

I did end up with three decent bottles but it was really a bummer to watch all the "tier 1" bottles get picked.

What I ended up with

Some bumbling idiot dropped a bottle of ET Lee right in front of me

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 4:29:12 PM EDT
[#18]
good lord, look at all those goodies. local stores around me just put all this stuff in the back and snub their nose at you unless you are in the know or a buddy or know the secret hand shake (I guess). anyways, that kind of stuff fuels the secondary market imo. hell at least a lottery gives the avg joe a chance without paying these crazy bloated secondary market prices.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:50:34 AM EDT
[#19]
I feel bad for the poor bastard who got a 13th Colony double barrel as a "Tier One" selection.

Hopefully, it was some asshole who wanted to flip a bottle.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 12:28:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Store near me wants $249.00 for a bottle of the WELLER 12 Year & $99 for Eagle Rare  
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 12:40:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I picked up a Weller Full Proof barrel pick and a bottle of EHT single barrel.

Weller was $169 and came with a free 1.75L bottle of Fireball.  The EHT single barrel was $129.

Anybody try this year's Full Proof?  I've got a bottle from last year, but I know they change year to year.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By SnprPSG1:
Store near me wants $249.00 for a bottle of the WELLER 12 Year & $99 for Eagle Rare  
View Quote
thats about normal where i live in TN. OR they just keep the stuff in back for their buddies. Weller SR was $75, Buffalo Trace was $50. popular stuff like Stagg jr, Blantons, weller 12-FP etc.. over $$200.. and thats if you can find it. one place has stuff like Rip, George T Stagg, etc.. all those are $1k-2k..
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:30:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SnprPSG1] [#23]
Originally Posted By whitson01:
thats about normal where i live in TN. OR they just keep the stuff in back for their buddies. Weller SR was $75, Buffalo Trace was $50. popular stuff like Stagg jr, Blantons, weller 12-FP etc.. over $$200.. and thats if you can find it. one place has stuff like Rip, George T Stagg, etc.. all those are $1k-2k..
View Quote

I Like the prices TN-MadDog posted, BUT WHO WOULDN"T  

Where I live is your basic liquor stores, but 2 counties away, the county controls the alcohol; ABC stores. They make sure the prices stay reasonable. The 2nd saturday of each month they put out the allocated stuff and hold a lottery once a year.

Some of the pricing off the list:

241260WELLER FULL PROOF (HAL) - 750ML50.99
241520WELLER SINGLE BARREL (HAL)- 750ML51.99
12815PAPPY VAN WINKLE 12 YR (HAL) - 750ML108.99
16489PAPPY VAN WINKLE RYE 13YR (HAL) - 750ML125.99
34860PAPPY VAN WINKLE 23YR (HAL) - 750ML395.99
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 4:19:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By rob78:
I picked up a Weller Full Proof barrel pick and a bottle of EHT single barrel.

Weller was $169 and came with a free 1.75L bottle of Fireball.  The EHT single barrel was $129.

Anybody try this year's Full Proof?  I've got a bottle from last year, but I know they change year to year.
View Quote

I have had the Full Proof and it is very good. Can’t compare it to last year as I haven’t opened that bottle…yet.
I also got a sample of this years WL Weller and I thought the two are very similar. With the WL being a bit hotter and spicier.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 6:26:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By bondservant2:

I have had the Full Proof and it is very good. Can’t compare it to last year as I haven’t opened that bottle…yet.
I also got a sample of this years WL Weller and I thought the two are very similar. With the WL being a bit hotter and spicier.
View Quote

Lucky dog.  WL Weller is excellent.  Never been drawn for a bottle.

I put it up there with one my all time favorites, George T Stagg at 132 proof.

Thanks for the FP review.  Ill have to crack it open.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By rob78:

Lucky dog.  WL Weller is excellent.  Never been drawn for a bottle.

I put it up there with one my all time favorites, George T Stagg at 132 proof.

Thanks for the FP review.  Ill have to crack it open.
View Quote

For the Full Proof - no mistaking it for a wheated bourbon. Soft and sweet. I think high proof wheaters are among the most “crushable” of the bourbons.
It definitely shows proof on the mid-palate, then a nice berry fruit explosion on the back. Like blueberries  maybe…? Nice spicy, long finish Kentucky hug. Definitely more fruit flavor than the brown sugar ,caramel of the CYPB - which I also have tried.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 10:53:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zen_grasshopper] [#27]
I don't hunt it but I have gotten lucky so far in 2024. Only thing I want is Stagg that isn't stupid priced.

Stopped in to a small town grocery store last week and there were two bottles of Weller 12 year on the shelf at MSRP, they both went home with me.

Picking up three bottles of Booker's (not sure I would call it allocated, but harder to find?) this weekend at $10 over MSRP a bottle.

2023 I got a few bottles of Blanton's, ER, Blood Oath, Midwinter's Nights Dram. All just right place at the right time, except for the Midwinter's which I got from a drawing.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:38:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By zen_grasshopper:
I don't hunt it but I have gotten lucky so far in 2024. Only thing I want is Stagg that isn't stupid priced.

Stopped in to a small town grocery store last week and there were two bottles of Weller 12 year on the shelf at MSRP, they both went home with me.

Picking up three bottles of Booker's (not sure I would call it allocated, but harder to find?) this weekend at $10 over MSRP a bottle.

2023 I got a few bottles of Blanton's, ER, Blood Oath, Midwinter's Nights Dram. All just right place at the right time, except for the Midwinter's which I got from a drawing.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By zen_grasshopper:

View Quote

Good stuff.  Once easy to find here for $50...now nowhere to be found.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 6:39:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Four Roses 135th Anniversary and a Sazerac 18 were my heavy hitters.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 11:58:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Arkady:
Four Roses 135th Anniversary and a Sazerac 18 were my heavy hitters.
View Quote

SWEET..!!
I have a bottle of the Four Roses and I think it’s phenomenal. That’s a bourbon to sit with quietly and savor through the evening.
Not had the Sazerac 18. I bet that’s one spicy bitch.
LOVE the regular shelf stuff…..
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 11:54:17 AM EDT
[#32]
If there's a nice bottle of Bourbon in the Houston area, my wife knows about it.
Best year ever for me.

Link Posted: 2/2/2024 3:24:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SnprPSG1] [#33]
Originally Posted By TXBO:
If there's a nice bottle of Bourbon in the Houston area, my wife knows about it.
Best year ever for me.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/402701/Booze-3115512.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/402701/Pappy-3115513.jpg

View Quote

NICE!!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Man, the hunt started out ROUGH this year....but things seem to be loosening up.   I see more items on the shelves, but some ridiculous pricing way over secondary on prime bottles.  Seems to be fueled by the Bourbon podcasts and people running out to pick up the highly rated bourbons.    I've been ordering on line lately, much better prices, and some even offer free shipping.   Frey Ranch!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:18:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: leemozoid] [#35]
You know, I quit hunting a couple of years ago. I don't even go to allocation sales anymore. There's so much good unallocated bourbon out there that hunting just isn't worth it anymore. Hell, between 4RSmBS, New Riff, Smoke Wagon and Penelope all I want is right at my fingertips. Add in the wide array of single barrel store picks and I can't ever justify hunting allocateds. Who needs Eagle Rare when Bulleit 10 year is just as good?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By leemozoid:
You know, I quit hunting a couple of years ago. I don't even go to allocation sales anymore. There's so much good unallocated bourbon out there that hunting just isn't worth it anymore. Hell, between 4RSmBS, New Riff, Smoke Wagon and Penelope all I want is right at my fingertips. Add in the wide array of single barrel store picks and I can't ever justify hunting allocateds. Who needs Eagle Rare when Bulleit 10 year is just as good?
View Quote

This ^.  

I still do a quick scan for Elijah Craig Barrel Proof if I happen to be in a liquor store, but that's about it.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By JoshD:

This ^.  

I still do a quick scan for Elijah Craig Barrel Proof if I happen to be in a liquor store, but that's about it.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JoshD:
Originally Posted By leemozoid:

This ^.  

I'm lucky to have good relations with a couple of Liquor Store Managers so that I know when the trucks come in and occasionally get texts when something special shows up. Small(er) town living does have its advantages.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:24:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By bondservant2:

I'm lucky to have good relations with a couple of Liquor Store Managers so that I know when the trucks come in and occasionally get texts when something special shows up. Small(er) town living does have its advantages.
View Quote

This exactly.  One of the most interesting bottles that I managed to get recently was an Old Charter Oak French Oak.  A really nice bottle, and only about $75 msrp.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top