Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
How safe is Seattle? (Page 1 of 3)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/19/2024 8:45:15 AM EDT
I’m taking my family there this summer for two nights with Metallica.  After watching the you dead bitch video, I’m a little concerned about our safety. I will as always be carrying however when we go to the show I will not be able to carry due to metal detectors. Scary thought of coming out of the show unarmed late at night.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:47:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eurotrash] [#1]
I think the guy with the yellow Porsche avatar lives in Seattle.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:55:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By eurotrash:
View Quote

It's fuckin gross but overall not that dangerous. You'll just have to burn your clothes when u get home because the urine smell cannot be unsmelled. For reference I grew up east of and regularly worked in Oakland. In my experiences Seattle doesn't really compare to that or say Norf Richmond.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:00:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I was there 3 weeks ago, no problems but the traffic sucks! Enjoy Metallica!
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:01:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By GreenMushroom:

It's fuckin gross but overall not that dangerous. You'll just have to burn your clothes when u get home because the urine smell cannot be unsmelled. For reference I grew up east of and regularly worked in Oakland. In my experiences Seattle doesn't really compare to that or say Norf Richmond.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This. Not especially dangerous, but gross.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:07:50 AM EDT
[#5]
It’s probably safer than Portland.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:09:12 AM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

Pretty much this.

As a kid I used to find bodies laying around Oakland. Some were ODs, pretty sure some were murders. In Oakland the cops don't respond to certain areas.

I'd say Seattle is more like Portland. Disgusting but you should go home with both kidneys and the strong desire to shower.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:10:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I try to stay out of Seattle as much as possible when I'm up there but as long as you avoid certain areas and people it's not bad.

Other than the traffic, as someone else noted.  I-5 traffic in Seattle is the worst I've ever drove in.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:11:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Safer than a Metallica concert
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:12:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Lots of bums but you probably won't get shot.  Cool place to visit.  Definitely no worse than Chicago.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:16:37 AM EDT
[#10]
The only time I ever felt uneasy was in Tukwila, maybe avoid that. Otherwise, there are some grimy areas but you'll will be fine.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:18:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Seattle is Dying | A KOMO News Documentary
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:

Pretty much this.

As a kid I used to find bodies laying around Oakland. Some were ODs, pretty sure some were murders. In Oakland the cops don't respond to certain areas.

I'd say Seattle is more like Portland. Disgusting but you should go home with both kidneys and the strong desire to shower.
View Quote

Opd doesn't even smile when they wave. One time we were working in a tenement in East Oakland and task force stopped by 3 deep in an unmarked car to let us know the area wasn't patrolled by uniformed offices. 3 ginormous black dudes in full battle rattle. The street sure did clear fast when they showed up.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:30:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Pretty sure you will be fine.    The stadium is south of the city, park either at Lumen or probably T-Mobil park (mariners) easy walk to Lumen.  Not to mention you won't be the only one walking around.    We have season Seahawk tickets and have never had even a hint of an issue, except drunk a-holes from the games.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:34:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By CAsoldier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpAi70WWBlw
View Quote
I bet 90% of the people in that documentary don't understand the consequences of their actions.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:36:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By macaho45:
Lots of bums but you probably won't get shot.  Cool place to visit.  Definitely no worse than Chicago.
View Quote

Probably far safer then Chicago.

Good rule of thumb far how violent a city is looking up demographics.

Seattle has never been that dangerous. Id worry more about bums or addicts breaking in my car while parked.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:40:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Streets were full of homeless addicts when I was there, but that’s been 8 years.  I would not consider the risk of attending a concert unarmed excessive.  Don’t go for a stroll around the city by yourself afterwards, but that applies armed or unarmed.

Full disclosure:  I grew up in the STL metro, statistically one of the worst in the nation, and didn’t die.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:43:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By GarandM1:
I try to stay out of Seattle as much as possible when I'm up there but as long as you avoid certain areas and people it's not bad.

Other than the traffic, as someone else noted.  I-5 traffic in Seattle is the worst I've ever drove in.
View Quote

I have been in rush-hour traffic in every large city on the west coast. Seattle traffic was by far the worst.

As to the OP question, lots of druggies lots of needles, just be careful where you go and keep your head on a swivel and you’ll be fine.

Leave Nothing of value in your car.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:44:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By wyomingnick:

Probably far safer then Chicago.

Good rule of thumb far how violent a city is looking up demographics.

Seattle has never been that dangerous. Id worry more about bums or addicts breaking in my car while parked.
View Quote

That's a pretty low bar, brother.

Columbia is safer than Chicago.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:47:52 AM EDT
[#19]
We visited last year and had a pretty nice time. On the way into Pikes Market I stopped to piss and there was a dead guy on a commode.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the urban update! We don’t get to big city very often. Looking forward to good food and some live music.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:01:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ACEB36TC:
We visited last year and had a pretty nice time. On the way into Pikes Market I stopped to piss and there was a dead guy on a commode.
View Quote

Probably an overdose. I would bet Seattle's overdose rate is very high.

Murder not so much.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:02:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pajamacannon] [#22]
It's a good place to watch someone shit in the street. It's super dirty and there are hobos wandering around everywhere mumbling gibberish even in the tourist areas. You will smell stagnant urine pretty much everywhere you go. But if you stick to the waterfront, restaurants, and shopping districts you shouldn't be in danger of anything but losing your lunch.

If you want to check out some hotties, eat at Joey Kitchen in the University District, they seem to keep that place stocked full of model-quality bitches year-round.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:04:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Overall in the tourist areas not bad, just "don't step on shit, piss, needles, homeless people"  Snek is non issue in the city.

Traffic will be terrible so plan any drives, leave early.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:06:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Don't park a Kia.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#25]
You’ll be fine.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Video?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:11:14 AM EDT
[#27]
When I was there last October, it reeked of piss but wasn’t too bad otherwise. A couple of schizos screaming their way to the public library. Lots of homeless women wandering around near tent cities if you’re looking for a $5 blowjob.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#28]
It's actually not that much worse than any other big city, just much grosser these days. It's in the news a lot because 10 years ago it was much better than the average American city and has quickly gone downhill, especially in the last 5-6 years.

That said, I avoid it like the plague, just like I avoid all cities . Haven't been inside the city limits in 4.5 years. Have to go to a memorial next month on the ship canal that has no parking. We'll be parking on the UW campus and taking an Uber back and forth. While the city is slowly dying due to progressive leadership, the UW campus remains pretty clean. They like to push the policies but don't want it in their front yard.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:13:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Seattle is a great town with so much to do. I dont think its violent per-say but the homeless and drug addicts make it sketchy. Dealing with drugged out homeless people is No Buenos.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:16:02 AM EDT
[#30]
I think Seattle and Portland are pretty comparable.  

However, Seattle PD did a better job of providing security outside, blocking streets, and just having a big outdoor presence at the concert I attended, as compared to Portland.

So that’s something…

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:17:22 AM EDT
[#31]

Murder not so much.

View All Quotes

Murder not so much.

Over 1000 OD deaths last year in King County, half of which were in homes, which shoots down the whole "it's a homeless problem" argument.
So far this year, the numbers state wide.

I believe the total for Seattle homicides last year was 72

Most of the crime around here is property crime. Business's get shit stolen constantly, nobody seems to mess with cars much since the tweakers can walk into big box stores and walk out with whatever they want. That said, a lot of cars get windows broken out in the tourist areas. Get whatever rental car insurance you can and don't leave anything in the car.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:17:28 AM EDT
[#32]
For you, pretty safe.

For your car/truck, not so safe. Car theft is rampant.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:03:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By sabre_kc:
I was there 3 weeks ago, no problems but the traffic sucks! Enjoy Metallica!
View Quote
It's been a while since I've actually been walking around Pikes Place and downtown Seattle. Earlier this year GPS sent me downtown while pulling 40' trailer. That was not fun. The traffic is horrible and no one follows basic traffic etiquette. It used to be beautiful but homelessness has destroyed some of the downtown area. If GPS says 30 minutes-give yourself an hour.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:06:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kp01] [#34]
My mom and 15yr old niece went last year, and were fine. Dont walk around at night. Stay in public places. Be aware of your surroundings...

Have fun!

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:07:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Wash your hands often or you might get hep C and/or AIDS
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

Good answer.

Be sure to visit the gum wall for added grossness.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:09:09 AM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

Regulatori?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:10:56 AM EDT
[#38]
My brother in law went there on business recently.  He said his colleagues warned him that it wasn't advisable to walk alone at night - not even for grown men.

I've never been there, thankfully.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:12:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Don’t forget to grab some Dick’s while you’re there.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:16:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Stay with the crowds, on main streets.  If you get a spidey sense feeling, it's probably right.
I go downtown for football, but that's about it, unless work related. Not necessarily dangerous, but unpleasant.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#41]
The rain also helps knock down a lot of the urban odors.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:25:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Its really not that bad. Like any big city you have a higher tendency for crime and that video is simply one example. Does that mean Seattle is unsafe? Of course not. As a broad statement I wouldnt go to Tacoma but honestly as said above its more a case of being dirty and grungy than legitimately dangerous. Hell, the g/f and I semi regularly go to Capital Hill for concerts and such and you know the bad rap that place got during coved?

People love to clutch their pearls when it comes to crime and if you believe the doomers every town over population 250 is just a anarchist camp run by dictators and you'll be shot on sight. Dont buy the hype. Seattle is fine.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:34:14 AM EDT
[#43]
The most dangerous aspect of that shit hole isn't the criminals, it's the "authorities" who'll crucify you for doing what's morally AND legally justified if you have to defend yourself.

Much like Portland.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:38:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:
I semi regularly go to Capital Hill for concerts and such…
View Quote

“And such”….

Uh huh, suruuuurrrrre.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:47:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:57:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Boomer] [#46]
Originally Posted By Cape_hunter:
If you have a whole day, rent a car and hop on a fairy go for a drive out on the peninsula. Any of the towns along the way, Port Townsend, Dungeness, Port Angeles etc., towards Neah bay make a good day out of the city.
Good seafood pretty much the whole drive.

Seattle is just like any other big city, dirty, smells like piss and is full of idiots....both homeless and not.
The market is a good way to kill a few hours but that's about it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/8306/Screenshot_2024-04-19_084605-3192118.jpg

View Quote

Honestly, that’s kind of a waste of a day. You aren’t going to have time to stop and appreciate any of the things to see along the way and other than the ferry ride, Hood Canal bridge and Lake Crescent, the drive itself is pretty boring and lacks any decent scenery. A better use of a single day, contingent on the weather, would be a trip up to Cap Sante park in Anacortes, then down across Deception Pass, further south on Whidbey Island for a stop at Fort Casey, then catch the ferry from Clinton back to Mukilteo.

Maybe a side trip out to Camano Island for a meal at Dupemaster’s restaurant.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:03:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Boomer:

"And such" .

Uh huh, suruuuurrrrre.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Boomer:
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:
I semi regularly go to Capital Hill for concerts and such

"And such" .

Uh huh, suruuuurrrrre.
They have good comedy shows there!

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:05:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: flyhack72] [#48]
You are more likely to get shot by SPD than some random in Seattle.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Also OP, you should really head up this way now. Like...NOW. The Skagit Valley Tulip festival is going on rigtht now and man its a thing to see those tulips.

Skagit Valley Tulip Festival
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:09:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Well it's a metallica concert, not a yungeen ace concert. Security will probably be tight at and around the venue. I would just be leery of where you go gallivanting in-between the concert and leaving the city. Many people live there every day without dying though, so it can't be that hard to figure out.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
How safe is Seattle? (Page 1 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top