Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/26/2024 8:37:13 AM EDT
https://triblive.com/local/regional/western-pennsylvania-restaurant-workers-dish-on-dining-etiquette/

Servers and bartenders have to claim their sales each shift and are taxed based on their sales, not their actual tips.

“People don’t know if I sell $200 in takeout food, I get taxed on that amount. If I get $5 in tips for takeout, I’m losing money,” Demko said.

_------------

I don't understand these paragraphs.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:38:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not tipping on takeout.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:40:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I’m just here to thank Joe.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:42:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Who’s tipping on takeout?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:44:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ServusVeritatis:
Who's tipping on takeout?
View Quote
Nobody, I would think.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:45:13 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

A lot of people
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:47:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kevins_garage] [#6]
Originally Posted By ctfish15:
https://triblive.com/local/regional/western-pennsylvania-restaurant-workers-dish-on-dining-etiquette/

Servers and bartenders have to claim their sales each shift and are taxed based on their sales, not their actual tips.

“People don’t know if I sell $200 in takeout food, I get taxed on that amount. If I get $5 in tips for takeout, I’m losing money,” Demko said.

_------------

View Quote

The name of the lady that said that and her place of employment is right in the article.  Maybe you could call her at work and ask her a couple followup questions for clarification?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:53:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't care. If I don't sit at a table and have you bringing me stuff, I'm not tipping.

Oh,  and I don't even believe the story in the first place. The restaurant may pay taxes on sales but bullshit this individual employee does.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:54:20 AM EDT
[#8]
If a person comes into a restaurant and orders a takeout order...either from the bartender or a server, that employee then puts the order in the system and eventually takes the payment from the customer. The sale is recorded as part of the total sales of that employee, which the employee has to declare.

So yes, the server (or bartender) gets fucked if the customer doesn't tip because they still have to declare the sale.

Not saying that you should tip on takeout, but that's what happens.

Get it?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By centrarchidae:
I don't care. If I don't sit at a table and have you bringing me stuff, I'm not tipping.

Oh,  and I don't even believe the story in the first place. The restaurant may pay taxes on sales but bullshit this individual employee does.
View Quote

These days the restaurant does the declaring in most cases. There's a tip box on the W2 that reflects a percentage of sales.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:57:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Businesses don't get taxed on revenue, but servers get taxed on business revenue?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:58:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By WoodHeat:
If a person comes into a restaurant and orders a takeout order...either from the bartender or a server, that employee then puts the order in the system and eventually takes the payment from the customer. The sale is recorded as part of the total sales of that employee, which the employee has to declare.

So yes, the server (or bartender) gets fucked if the customer doesn't tip because they still have to declare the sale.

Get it?
View Quote

All the resteraunt has to do is to make a profile for the resteraunt.  Then do all the take out on that.  Split the tips from that shift equally.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:00:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Learn to code.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:01:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Tough shit. I will not tip for take out. Taco Bell, McDonald's, etc aren't fucking their employees by taxing them for take out orders so other restaurants need to figure this formula out.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:02:53 AM EDT
[#14]
This story makes no sense.  As far as the person claiming their check sometimes comes out to be zero, I don't believe that at all.  If they get paid $2.83/hr plus tips, but don't make minimum wage, I thought the employer was required to pay the employer minimum wage, at least.  Maybe I'm wrong as I'm no employment law expert.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:03:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Kuraki:
Businesses don't get taxed on revenue, but servers get taxed on business revenue?
View Quote

Probably because expecting them to self-report tips ended predictably.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I do at my regular places.  They are always very appreciative. Times are tough on people.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:05:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Get it?
View Quote

That sounds like a shitty system that can’t show the sales for one category with higher tip rates than another one without the,.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:05:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By tc556guy:

A lot of people
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tc556guy:

A lot of people

MORONS
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:05:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Hell, the local Carl’s Jr has changed their payment system so it now prompts for a tip.  It’s getting nuts.

If you wait on me I’ll give you up to 20%.  Otherwise, you get nothing.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:07:03 AM EDT
[#20]

Get it?
View Quote

I get taxed on everything I “sell” and I never get tips.

Should I call the news?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:08:11 AM EDT
[#21]
I never thought much about takeout, but waitresses getting taxed on tips whether they receive them or not is nothing new. My wife waitressed at five restaurants and that was always a thing going back to at least the 90's - restaurants track sales and automatically tax waitresses on 15% tips whether they get them or not.

My wife never lost out though, because her cumulative tips were always well above 15% except for one restaurant that was next to Boston College. College students are always broke and the other half of her customer base was a certain demographic that never tips.

I'd think they'd have a way to code takeout so it doesn't get tipped. I dunno.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:09:15 AM EDT
[#22]
If I’m getting takeout from a restaurant I frequent that has people that recognize me and smile and give me great service for dine-in, I tip them “something”
The fast food joints get nothing (McD, BK, etc) save the Dunkin girls that hustle and get my order out quickly.
I tip for good fast service on takeout. I appreciate that these people are willing to work in menial jobs to serve the public. It’s most likely a thankless job except for a little $$ recognition.
You cheapskates do you…
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:09:23 AM EDT
[#23]

Get it?
View Quote

There should be a way to code it differently in their system. I'm not saying there is, but there should be.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:11:17 AM EDT
[#24]

These days the restaurant does the declaring in most cases. There's a tip box on the W2 that reflects a percentage of sales.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By centrarchidae:

Don't care. They can tell the tax asswagons they didn't actually get that money as individual income. I'm still not tipping on takeout.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:11:23 AM EDT
[#25]

Get it?
View Quote

Total BS. The server does not get taxed sales, unless the place is doing something like "we expect your average tip will be 10% so we will just assume you made a 10% tip on every order and report that as your income from tips". And if thats the case I would sure as hell talk to the boss or find another job.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:12:09 AM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:12:40 AM EDT
[#27]
I’m calling BS
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:12:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By SnowboundinNH:
I never thought much about takeout, but waitresses getting taxed on tips whether they receive them or not is nothing new. My wife waitressed at five restaurants and that was always a thing going back to at least the 90's - restaurants track sales and automatically tax waitresses on 15% tips whether they get them or not.

My wife never lost out though, because her cumulative tips were always well above 15% except for one restaurant that was next to Boston College. College students are always broke and the other half of her customer base was a certain demographic that never tips.

I'd think they'd have a way to code takeout so it doesn't get tipped. I dunno.
View Quote

None of that makes any sense though because people would end up getting large tax refunds consistently if they were taxed on sales that didn't tip.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:13:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By VarmintKilla:
This story makes no sense.  As far as the person claiming their check sometimes comes out to be zero, I don't believe that at all.  If they get paid $2.83/hr plus tips, but don't make minimum wage, I thought the employer was required to pay the employer minimum wage, at least.  Maybe I'm wrong as I'm no employment law expert.
View Quote

In many states restaurants are allowed to pay "Farm wages" which are below minimum wage because "tips". I worked on a farm in high school when the minimum wage was $3.15/hour. I was paid $2.85/hour. My wife worked as a waitress in CA, MA, and HI. California didn't allow it, she was actually getting paid well above minimum wage, but MA allowed it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:14:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By StaccatoC2:

Total BS. The server does not get taxed sales, unless the place is doing something like "we expect your average tip will be 10% so we will just assume you made a 10% tip on every order and report that as your income from tips". And if thats the case I would sure as hell talk to the boss or find another job.
View Quote

I've worked places where you reported your tips every night so your withholding wasn't crazy low but never anywhere that withheld based on an assumed amount of tips.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

Get it?

Yes they do. Every restaurant my wife worked at tracked her sales and automatically taxed her on 15% tips based on her sales. Thank the IRS.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:16:59 AM EDT
[#32]

In many states restaurants are allowed to pay "Farm wages" which are below minimum wage because "tips". I worked on a farm in high school when the minimum wage was $3.15/hour. I was paid $2.85/hour. My wife worked as a waitress in CA, MA, and HI. California didn't allow it, she was actually getting paid well above minimum wage, but MA allowed it.
View Quote

You can only be paid below minimum wage if your total wages end up over minimum wage. Say I was bartending and got paid $2.38/hrs working 6-6 but took home $150 in tips. That shift I averaged $27.38/hrs so my employer doesn't have to pay me anything else. In real life server's that don't make well over minimum wage are usually about to be fired anyway.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:18:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Get a different job?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:18:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bud] [#34]
View Quote

I do.

The waitstaff takes the order, puts in the order, checks to ensure that it is correct, boxes it up, adds utensils, napkins, and condiments.

For those with reading comprehension struggles:  takeout, not fast food.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:19:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Maybe they will pressure their Democratic lawmakers to change the way they are taxed?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

What they're saying is that the tips don't go on the check they are in cash daily so when they take out taxes and 401k and health coverage the 2.83 an hour on the check gets eaten up. Used to happen to me we made like $5/hr  but the tips were like $400 dollars a day we took home the cash tips daily and the actual paycheck was sometimes like $1.50 for 80 hours. A few times the check was 0.00 if I had a great week in tips. Combined we made way over min. wage, but the real income was not on the check
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:21:19 AM EDT
[#37]

_------------

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/021/464/14608107_1180665285312703_1558693314_n.jpg

View Quote

You can afford to pay someone to cook your food? Wow I’m jealous.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:22:12 AM EDT
[#38]
It’s been 3 decades but back when I waited tables, you absolutely were NOT taxed on your sales.  You were taxed on your income and tips.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:22:42 AM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Maybe you can understand the $20/hour minimum wage law in California for fast food workers now.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:23:01 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

an example of how that could work. a server works 40hr week. makes $2.83/hr + $1000 in tips for the week. the tips are paid in cash each night. the salary is $113.20 but the taxable income is $1113.20, the employer deducts federal income tax and SS/medcare of say 10% of $1113.20 ($111.32) from $113.20. the pay check for the week is $1.88.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:26:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By PeepEater:

You can only be paid below minimum wage if your total wages end up over minimum wage. Say I was bartending and got paid $2.38/hrs working 6-6 but took home $150 in tips. That shift I averaged $27.38/hrs so my employer doesn't have to pay me anything else. In real life server's that don't make well over minimum wage are usually about to be fired anyway.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PeepEater:

That doesn't apply to farm work. I mostly worked in greenhouses. We didn't get tips.

But for restaurants, as I said she always made well above 15% except that one restaurant and it wasn't because of her performance. When 50% of your customer base is a certain color, that's 50% of your customers that won't tip no matter what. Her saving grace was I became friends with the manager so he gave her better shifts. And I drank for free
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Woosaa:

an example of how that could work. a server works 40hr week. makes $2.83/hr + $1000 in tips for the week. the tips are paid in cash each night. the salary is $113.20 but the taxable income is $1113.20, the employer deducts federal income tax and SS/medcare of say 10% of $1113.20 ($111.32) from $113.20. the pay check for the week is $1.88.
View Quote

Plus the $1000 they took home in cash. They don’t make $1.88 that week, they make $1001.88.

Not my fault they spent the $1000 on cigarettes and PBR and can’t pay rent.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:29:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By AKFF:
It’s been 3 decades but back when I waited tables, you absolutely were NOT taxed on your sales.  You were taxed on your income and tips.
View Quote

Yes and no. A lot of restaurants (all the ones my wife worked at) tracked each person's sales to determine how to tax their tips. If my wife had $1,000 in sales, they automatically assumed she made $150 in tips and taxed her on that.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#44]
BS story
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:32:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By cbsaf:
Hell, the local Carl’s Jr has changed their payment system so it now prompts for a tip.  It’s getting nuts.

If you wait on me I’ll give you up to 20%.  Otherwise, you get nothing.
View Quote

Recently, while changing planes at Detroit (I think, not sure tho, I travel for work) the tip option came up on the self-serve cc machine, while paying for a take-out meal, and the 'no tip' option was grayed out.
Only choices were 10- 15- 20-25 %
For a tip on a $23 sandwich to-go.

Didn't have the time or energy to argue, so hit 10%.
WTF.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:35:37 AM EDT
[#46]

Get it?
View Quote
Then we should make the accounting assumptions easier with zero tips.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:36:28 AM EDT
[#47]

"People don't know if I sell $200 in takeout food, I get taxed on that amount. If I get $5 in tips for takeout, I'm losing money," Demko said.

_------------

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/021/464/14608107_1180665285312703_1558693314_n.jpg

View Quote
I mean you read it, then copy pasta'ed it for us...
What part don't you understand, this is yet another way the king bends the subjects over.

While I don't agree with it, I can sort of understand tipping on reported tips, but to tax on "potential tips" is down right fucked up as they know not everyone tips...  In fact so many don't.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:36:31 AM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

You don't know what you're talking about.

If a restaurant has one customer in a day, and it's a takeout order with zero tip, the server who rang it in will pay out of pocket.

The IRS requires that at least 8% of sales be claimed. If the server doesn't self report, the restaurant is required to claim it for them.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:38:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#49]
Originally Posted By L_JE:
Then we should make the accounting assumptions easier with zero tips.
View Quote

Tips have always been taxed, just like drug sales, anything you steal and that $100 bill you found on the sidewalk. The taxpayer has to announce that money and claim it. What are the chances of that?

This is the result.

Should we get into the multiple stacks of tips servers keep so they don’t have to tip out the cooks? Credit cards kind of killed that game, no wonder they get so happy about cash tips.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm pretty sure they confused tipping out with taxed.

They gave the tipping out the bartender and kitchen staff example earlier in the article.

It's also possible the servers get a commission bonus on sales. I had a GF that worked at texas roadhouse - they got bonus's for alcohol and app sales if I remember correctly.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top