Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2023 1:23:00 AM EDT
I had this Merkur for a few years and used it extensively with Feather blades
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

I rarely even nicked myself and it was a great razor until I dropped it and the head popped off. I didnt like the way it was constructed so I thought I would pay a little more and get one that seemed better built.

I bought this Seki butterfly type that is built really well
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

I have used it twice and it looks like I got into a fight with a chainsaw. My head and face are torn up, this thing just plain chews off skin where the Merkur shaved effortlessly and painlessly.

Where did I screw up and what should I have been looking for.

I am definitely going back to the Merkur

Link Posted: 6/19/2023 2:20:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sywagon] [#1]
I'd be interested in a Merkur, but the Seki one looks sketch and is an unknown (Seki is a location where a lot of good knives and bladed things are made, not a brand, but it has five ratings). I think the mistake was not replacing the one you liked first, and then buying some additional other ones with well known characteristics to try.

For a excellent closed comb razor on the less aggressive side (like that Merkur) that is still really effective this is one I really like. My face isn't very sensitive and I have tough hair that I don't shave every day so I generally use open comb, but still really appreciate this one which was my first.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RBF1PO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Link Posted: 6/19/2023 3:20:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a fairly extensive collection of safety razors, the majority of which are vintage Gillettes.  
With 14 years experience with safety razors and blades, my guess is that the combo of the Feather (IMO the absolute sharpest blade available) and your razor doesn't work for your face type.  I'd recommend you try an Astra Superior Platinum and see how that works for you with that razor.
Razors and blades with face types are something that needs to be tried for success.  Many on-line razor sites offer sampler packs of blades for you to try.
My absolute favorite combo is (was) an unbranded Hoffritz travel slant razor or a knock-off of the same with a Polsilver Super Iridium blade.  Until it broke on me last fall.  And the Plsilver SIs were discontinuerd.  I haven't found a replacement razor for a price I'm willing to pay.  Yet.
Having said that, my current travel razor is a Merkur 39C Slant razor.  It, along with a Merkur 34C, are my only "modern" razors.
My favorite vintage Gillettes are the New Long Comb, the triagular opening Tech, and the Slim Adjustable black (short handle).  A Fatboy is in the rotation as well.  Another half-dozen vintage Gillettes round out the collection
Check out eBay for vintage Gillettes if you'd like.  Otherwise, try different blades with your current razor and see what works.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 3:26:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Different razors shave different, a blade change might help, or changing the technique and angle you use. Maybe different soap or pre shave might help, or try another razor.

Check out shavenation.com - geo has a good selection of razors for sale and other shave supplies and review videos on most of them
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 3:44:13 AM EDT
[#4]
100% what they said. Try a different blade.
Personally I’m have the same issue with Feather blades. If I use them i end up bleeding all over the place, regardless how careful and slowly I go. Feathers and I simply don’t get along.

I find Astras to work well without severe bloodletting. Vokshod is another solid choice.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 9:03:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SSeric02] [#5]
I started using a DE razor last summer. My first was a $10 butterfly from Wilkinson and a sample pack of blades. You definitely need to try different razor/blade combinations to see what you (and your skin!) like best. But, every razor is also going to have different blade angle and blade exposure. The Merkurs (34C, 23C, etc.) are the least aggressive in angle and exposure and least likely to nick you in my experience.

After trying the Wilkinson for awhile and being slightly unhappy with a few minor nicks it gave me here and there, I got a Muhle Companion, specifically advertised to be good for beginners with increased protection to avoid scratches and nicks. Nope, while it's very smartly engineered (those crazy Germans!), it's also VERY aggressive and chopped my face up no matter what blades I tried or how careful I was.

Then I got a Parker 91R. Great heft, and more conservative blade angle than the Muhle. But the blade exposure is significant enough I could feel blade flex or "spring" as I shaved. Not as many nicks and the Muhle, but more than I cared to deal with.

Third time's the charm? Almost. I got a Merkur 34C, the short fatty. Very conservative blade angle and exposure. Multiple passes required, but I'd do that anyways. More importantly, not a single nick, no matter how sloppy I got or blades I used (Feathers preferred). But, the short handle wasn't for me.

So, now I've got a Merkur 23C, same head as the 34C but with a longer, albeit narrower, handle. It's the sweet spot for me.

Only question is: what to do with the Muhle, Parker, and 34C? Is there an after market for these things?
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 9:06:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ef4life:
Different razors shave different, a blade change might help, or changing the technique and angle you use. Maybe different soap or pre shave might help, or try another razor.

Check out shavenation.com - geo has a good selection of razors for sale and other shave supplies and review videos on most of them
View Quote

In red is what I did not account for I suppose. With the Merkur I only used hot water, no shave sauce, and it was fine. No rash, and nicks only when I was careless or tried to shave off an ingrown hair bump. The first time with the Seki I carved myself up pretty good so the second time I used a quality shave gel and was very careful with angle and speed. Unfortunately it was to no avail, not as bad as the first time but still no bueno.

I will just eat the money I spent on the brass Seki and go back to the Merkur, I will just order an extra as backup. I suppose it is the lesson I get for trying to reinvent the wheel instead of going with the proven performer.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SSeric02:
I started using a DE razor last summer. My first was a $10 butterfly from Wilkinson and a sample pack of blades. You definitely need to try different razor/blade combinations to see what you (and your skin!) like best. But, every razor is also going to have different blade angle and blade exposure. The Merkurs (34C, 23C, etc.) are the least aggressive in angle and exposure and least likely to nick you in my experience.

After trying the Wilkinson for awhile and being slightly unhappy with a few minor nicks it gave me here and there, I got a Muhle Companion, specifically advertised to be good for beginners with increased protection to avoid scratches and nicks. Nope, while it's very smartly engineered (those crazy Germans!), it's also VERY aggressive and chopped my face up no matter what blades I tried or how careful I was.

Then I got a Parker 91R. Great heft, and more conservative blade angle than the Muhle. But the blade exposure is significant enough I could feel blade flex or "spring" as I shaved. Not as many nicks and the Muhle, but more than I cared to deal with.

Third time's the charm? Almost. I got a Merkur 34C, the short fatty. Very conservative blade angle and exposure. Multiple passes required, but I'd do that anyways. More importantly, not a single nick, no matter how sloppy I got or blades I used (Feathers preferred). But, the short handle wasn't for me.

So, now I've got a Merkur 23C, same head as the 34C but with a longer, albeit narrower, handle. It's the sweet spot for me.

Only question is: what to do with the Muhle, Parker, and 34C? Is there an after market for these things?
View Quote
I have a Muhle open comb (R101) that is my go-to when I have several days worth to knock off. It is a beast. Much more aggressive than my Fatip Lo Storto open comb (a slant). If I was only allowed to have one, it would be the latter. Amazingly efficient without being mean.

(top one, not my pic)

Link Posted: 6/19/2023 10:42:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By sywagon:
I have a Muhle open comb (R101) that is my go-to when I have several days worth to knock off. It is a beast. Much more aggressive than my Fatip Lo Storto open comb (a slant). If I was only allowed to have one, it would be the latter. Amazingly efficient without being mean.

(top one, not my pic)

https://shavinguniverse.com/community/data/attachments/14/14151-b275027bddcd17717abaeeca99b518fb.jpg

View Quote

How do you like the slant blade? I've been thinking about trying one of those at some point.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 11:27:14 AM EDT
[#9]

How do you like the slant blade? I've been thinking about trying one of those at some point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sywagon:

(top one, not my pic)

https://shavinguniverse.com/community/data/attachments/14/14151-b275027bddcd17717abaeeca99b518fb.jpg

That is the only one I have experience with, but it is fantastic.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

I use a Parker semi slant - I a fan of it, Although I’m not super impressed with the handles grip texture. I would like something a little more texture to grip when wet. Only real difference I noticed shaving is since the blade is twisted it’s a little harder to get close to my nose on one side shaving the stache, and if you don’t account for the twist your sideburns will be angled
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 10:00:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I've tried just about every single DE razor out there and the RazoRock Game Changer 68 is the best I've ever tried. Just something to consider. I really prefer stainless steel over pot metal Merkurs, and I have a Merkur 34c.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top