Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2024 11:19:57 AM EDT
Recently had Outlook forced on me and I hate it. I was using the regular Microsoft Mail app, but that's been change to Outlook...and I can't stand it.

Can y'all recommend a different app to use for email? I use Bluemail on my phone, but my anti-virus software on my laptop doesn't like it and won't install it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 11:38:11 AM EDT
[#1]
"Welcome to the Party Pal!"

We changed to ZOHOMail, but it has its quirks, and the user interface could use some improvement, but we are using the free version.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 12:01:48 PM EDT
[#2]
You must embrace the suck
resisting the suck
will result in TEAMS
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 12:52:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I used outlook for years and I really liked it operationally and feature-wise as a mail client.

My problem was the corruption I'd get of the .pst file or whatever file it was that the mail on your local box was stored in.

I mean every single day, even weekends, I got anywhere from 6 to 60 emails a day.
I had tons of rules and Mail Folders created, so that various emails from certain people, depts or reports would go into their specified folder. For me it was easier to digest and manage that way.  YMMV..

About every three years, my mail folder would get corrupted and I loose a ton of important crap.

Our IT sucked because of the restrictive rules and policies they had everything locked down with..
There was a point, I could not even change my IP address.

Imagine being on call and being dispatched out to a Police Station, Hospital or some other business at 2am to work on an outage, the customer is there watching your every move in anticipation of their voice, video and Data being back online.
The router or switch is hard down.
You can't console into it, cause you no longer have an actual usable Serial port and you aren't allowed to install a USB to Serial Dongle, or worse change your laptops IP to one of a Subnet that can talk to the deaded router, to see WTFs up and how quick you can restore it.  OR get into a NIB Unit, to put a base config on to replace the failed unit.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 12:59:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Give your anti-virus software on your laptop an exclusion so you can go ahead and install BlueMail.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 1:51:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been using Thunderbird for years for my personal email client.  Before that it was Mozilla Suite.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 1:53:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By smullen:
I used outlook for years and I really liked it operationally and feature-wise as a mail client.

My problem was the corruption I'd get of the .pst file or whatever file it was that the mail on your local box was stored in.

I mean every single day, even weekends, I got anywhere from 6 to 60 emails a day.
I had tons of rules and Mail Folders created, so that various emails from certain people, depts or reports would go into their specified folder. For me it was easier to digest and manage that way.  YMMV..

About every three years, my mail folder would get corrupted and I loose a ton of important crap.

Our IT sucked because of the restrictive rules and policies they had everything locked down with..
There was a point, I could not even change my IP address.

Imagine being on call and being dispatched out to a Police Station, Hospital or some other business at 2am to work on an outage, the customer is there watching your every move in anticipation of their voice, video and Data being back online.
The router or switch is hard down.
You can't console into it, cause you no longer have an actual usable Serial port and you aren't allowed to install a USB to Serial Dongle, or worse change your laptops IP to one of a Subnet that can talk to the deaded router, to see WTFs up and how quick you can restore it.  OR get into a NIB Unit, to put a base config on to replace the failed unit.
View Quote
IT reacts to the stupidest user in the environment.  Can't fire someone for being stupid, apparently.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 7:34:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 7:42:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Dopple:
I've been using Thunderbird for years for my personal email client.  Before that it was Mozilla Suite.
View Quote

We lost that option a couple years ago. Outlook is currently the only approved email for our work computers. Annoys me every day. That's one of things pushing me towards early retirement.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 8:02:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AR_Dale] [#9]
Of all the MS stuff I would bitch about it would not be outlook.
I have used it at work and home for decades without issues.
I also have done the IT at work for 25 years and no one has complained or had major problems.

Minor complaints about outlook,
A long time ago the size of the .pst was a limitation.
Read receipts that hang sending, have to fix with 3rd party app.
Newer versions stupid setup wizard that thinks is knows the settings but doesn't.

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:43:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By eric496:

We lost that option a couple years ago. Outlook is currently the only approved email for our work computers. Annoys me every day. That's one of things pushing me towards early retirement.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dopple:

Can you access Outlook via IMAP or POP3? If so, use portable Thunderbird. No install required, doesn't need admin access
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Same kind of thing for me.

I took a part time job writing manuals after I partially retired. The company wouldn't let me use the software I'd been using for years (GIMP and ACDSee) and insisted I only use Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom...both of which I had no clue how to use. I fought them for two months about it, finally said "Fuck this", and totally retired.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top