Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2020 9:01:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter]
Ordered a pod mod...

Well ordered 2.  One for family that needs to quite smoking, the other as a small cheep device when I am traveling.  I also ordered a pair of 21700 singe battery mods (one DNA).  Hope they will not outlaw juice too soon.

A lot of new stuff has hit the market this fall.  I have been hunting for a single 21700 smart mod for a while (I have a mec in that size, but it just lacks power).  I ordered the mod that replaced the one I was wanting, but also found a different DNA mod that was based off the internals that the one I used to want used.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 9:26:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Started with mechanical 18650s transitioned through a couple temp controlled mods, but when I moved to nic salts, have been on pods ever since. What did you get? I need a new pod sysem.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 9:35:33 PM EDT
[#2]
What the hell are you talking about? Cyborgs? All this DNA and battery talk.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 4:28:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: unsub073] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sauerkraut:
Started with mechanical 18650s transitioned through a couple temp controlled mods, but when I moved to nic salts, have been on pods ever since. What did you get? I need a new pod sysem.
View Quote

I've done pretty much the same thing as you, and ended up on the salts.  I went through many different pod systems and this one has been my favorite for a while now.

Unwell
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 2:31:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#4]
Well first has come in, it is a single 21700 Dovpo Evolv DNA 75.  Enjoying it with an old rda (dead rabbit), but it is heating up the battery a bit (it is warm in my hand).  I have a Lost Vape Grus 100w that has not come in so far - it is not a DNA, but seems to have replaced the Mirage (that I had wanted, but did not get before it was discontinued).  

The Pod Mod is a Smok RPM 2 https://www.elementvape.com/smok-rpm-2.  Got one to give to my brother in law and one to play with myself.  Added a high ohm coil to the basket to play with salt nic, as the low ohm ones will probably be way to much for me for that that.  My stepson is using an RPM Pro 80 right now, and his girlfriend is using the older RMP 40.  the 40 is much smaller, and the RPM 2 (which is also 80 watts iirc) is somewhat in between.  The Pro 80 just seems to much of a compromise for me - as I have great mods already and only wanted something smaller and better to introduce my brother in law to (I don't think he wants to deal with the size of a mod or the complexity of anything rebuild-able.

That said, my wife has a Nord 2 I think - but it is not getting used much.  It would probably have been a better starter for my brother in law, but I did not add one to the cart.  I was going to try to get him to use my wife's first.  As he is coming from cigarettes, the MTL of the Nord would probably be a better fit, oh well - I don't do much MTL...

---
For what it's worth, I have a Centaurus (DNA 250)  It replaced my Paranormal (that died), and an Aegis Legend also sitting within reach and in my current rotation.  That are toped with mesh RTA's (a Profile Unity and a Zeus).  A Kennedy is also sitting somewhere close - but I stole the battery out of it to play with the Evolv.

Yes, this is not unlike black rifle disease.  

-----
Ok defining terms...
Original vape systems were not high tech.  You controlled wattage by changing the resistance of the systems heating coil (and understanding a bit about ohms law, the resistance of wire, etc...).  They consisted of an atomizer and a mod (these simple mods are called mech mods now).  The most simple atomizer was a coil of wire filled with a wick - which you dripped (D) a few drops of juice on.  Since this was prehistoric, you tended to rebuild things yourself (often making your own wicks and your own coils)  This idea is now called rebuildibles (R).    So a Rebuildable Drip Atomizer is an RDA.  Now I don't know the complete evolution from then on, but eventually a lot of things changed.  Tanks (T) were often added to the atomizer so you did not have to drip (now we have a RTA).  At some point mods also became smart - they had circuitry to protect them from draining the battery too far and to allow the user to control the current without needing to use ohms law and changing coils.  Some also use temp control, allow the wattage to changed during the puff, etc.  Some got pretty smart.  DNA is generally considered one of the best circuitry.

Going back in time a little, the only source of nicotine was freebase nic that the cigarette company had been using for decades to increase the nic level of cigarettes.   It had a limitation.  It had a hard throat hit - nobody could enjoy anything strong than 12mg.  Then the parent company of Juul figured out salt based nic.  It had much less throat hit - people could tolerate up to 50mg.  This allowed smaller lower power devices to give a decent puff.  Juul made a system that had a self contained, disposable cartridge (pod), so the user did not have to worry about coils or wicks, or power levels.

Simplicity was contagious, plus the vape companies realized there was a lot more profit to be made by selling pre made wick/coil systems rather than letting people rebuild their own - so most atomizers started using systems that had more expensive, but simpler premade wick/coil systems.  Meanwhile, competitors also understood there was a niche for small refillable devices, so refillable pod systems were born.

So Now we will get to the Nord (about 2 years ago I think).   It is a pod system, but with a replaceable wick/coil.  They incorporated some of the advances in the circuitry so you could set wattage, likewise you could use different premade wick/coils inside it's pod.  This is the begging of the blending of pod and mod systems (there are other brands, I have no clue what came first) - but it was still a fairly small salt nic based system.  Then they created a stronger unit, then a stronger one...  Eventaully you got the RPM's - Real Pod Mod (they wanted to advertise it was a hybrid system).  By the time the RPM 2 was out, it had enough power to use freebase nic.  It is no longer tiny, but still smaller than almost any mod - plus using the pods and premade coil/wick systems it is fairly braindead to use.

Now mod system users will probably say the RPM is a dead end.  Real mods are better, plus allow the user to use any common size (510) atomizer.  There are unlimited options, especially when you go to the rebuildables.  That said, pods are a LOT cheaper than atomizers, and pop in coils are super easy to change out.    I think they have a place in the world.  The only issue is that they tend to have a lot more open airflow and tend to be more orriented to freebase nic - but it is my limited understanding that they can still use the old Nord coils (designed for salts), and a piece of cellophane tape can cut back the airflow to at least get the draw closer to a mouth to lung (harder pull) rather than a direct lung (open pull - usually used with mods).  Oh, and they hold more than 2x the juice as a Nord pod.

I am sorry if this is rambling and any of it is not 100% correct.  But it should give you enough information to research it yourself.  While not universal - the crux is pod devices are cheep and easy to use, and are more a nic delivery system than a cloud making machine (it is what gave vaping a bad name - kids trying to secretly vape in school).  Mod based systems can have more flavor, big clouds, and still give whatever level of nic you want.  Pod Mods are a transition device - simple and easy to use, but depending on their coils can theoretically use either juice.  (well so can a mod's atomizer, but nobody does that really - as mods are much larger than pod devices).

Oh and one last thing.  I ordered this stuff online with black Friday pricing.  Lets just say the 2 RPM's and the Grus were about the same prices as 1 RPM 2 bough locally (abet I did not need to buy any batteries, atomizer, or charger for the Grus.  I bled a little on the Evolv DNA, somewhat more on the Centaurus.  Meanwhile, the Aegis Zeus is really a remarkable mod at a rather affordable online price (just a little more than the Grus) - but you still need to add the battery, atomizer, charger, well the pod mod is a lot cheaper point of entry into something that is almost a mod.

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:51:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#5]
Well toys and juice showed up today.

The Grus - feels well built but very basic.  Lots of weight - feels more like a 2 battery mod than a 1 weight wise.  Just a little larger than the DoPo DNA - but that is a more featured mod.  That said, it vapes fine.  I have been using the Dead Rabbit on both - so they taste the same.  A bit disappointed on the boost function of the DNA75C.  I wanted a lot harder boost - but that is an issue with the Dead Rabbit mostly - it is power hungry.  Even the 250 mods take time ramping it up - plus put a mesh coil in it and it is near instant on.  So no real issues between the 2.  Have not played with it enough to tell, but it does not seem to be getting nearly as hot in the hand as the DoPo.  I like the DoPo more - but that might be more in my head than anything else.

Now for the RPM 2 - much smaller, much lighter - but still significantly larger than the Nord 2.  Tried salt with the RPM 1 coil.  I am pretty sure I don't like MTL.  Tiny hits or it simply hurts.  I don't know how long the RPM 2 coils will last - but with the new juice it is very nice.  The coil is recomended to 50 watts - Not hot, but what flavor...  I guess I could want to push it harder, but honestly it has good flavor with 30watts, and is rocking at 40.  I guess I like it more at 50 watts, but pushed it to 60 and 70 and did not get much more out of it.  

I am really liking this juice with the RPM 2.  Have not burned out all the salt on the other coil yet - so hard for me to compare that.  Might also be the different juice in it.  Can take small hits with good flavor - but lungfuls are not happening.  I think the salt in the wick is about done - so can take better draws now - bit more restrictive, but definitely more enjoyable with 3mg juice.

Might order a Nord 2 yet, just for something that can get lost in my pocket small - but think the RPM 2 with the RPM 2 coil will be my traveling vape of choice for a while - if I want clouds

fwiw, Naked American Patriot has a nice cigarish taste.  The Beard 00 Sweet Tobaccoccino tastes like a Starbucks iced cappuccino.  Very yummy for me.  No real joy with the salts I tried.  fwiw the salt nic coils I ordered did not fit - so there is that...
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 3:56:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#6]
Put the pin back in a profile unity I had on a squonk.   Now double fisting the RPM2 and the Dopo with a mesh drip atomizer.  Both are nice, but both seem a bit burnt.  Is it the juice or do I already need new wicks (don't know the last time I changed the wick on the profile - and accidentally did an 80watt puff on the RPM2 (did not have the wattaged locked and it ramped up in my pocket).  That is the question.  Pretty sure I have burned both.  New wick on the mesh is cheep.  But a new coil on the RPM2 is not as easy or inexpensive-that is a week away.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mousehunter:
Put the pin back in a profile unity I had on a squonk.   Now double fisting the RPM2 and the Dopo with a mesh drip atomizer.  Both are nice, but both seem a bit burnt.  Is it the juice or do I already need new wicks (don't know the last time I changed the wick on the profile - and accidentally did an 80watt puff on the RPM2 (did not have the wattaged locked and it ramped up in my pocket).  That is the question.  Pretty sure I have burned both.  New wick on the mesh is cheep.  But a new coil on the RPM2 is not as easy or inexpensive-that is a week away.
View Quote

I have a set up that  hit at 150-155 watts

but I don't use it much
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 2:37:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I have over wattage coils in the past.  When I just rebuilt the mesh, it had a melted hole in it.  Mesh can only have so many watts before it fails.   I have sub ohm coils that can do a bunch more-but not mesh.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah its some home rolled Juggernaut giants not mesh. the coil could probably fire safely at 200 watts

but my lungs couldn't.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 1:31:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#10]
Got a lot of my older stuff by the computer now - really need to make a nice wooden box to keep it all organized (already have a pelicanish case to store stuff in - but it is pretty full).  New juice is turning out to be hell on wicks, plus does not play all that well with my tanks (they can not wick it fast enough, and they are burning out way faster than anything I have ever vaped before).  But just saturated a dripper.  Damn tasty at 75 watts.  Guess I might push it up a bit more and see.  100 watts is good, can not get it wet enough to really enjoy 110 (plus it does get pretty warm).  That is on a rather thick fused clapton coil.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 4:00:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Just a sad, long overdue update.  While I still have a  box full of stuff.  95% of the time I am just using a Nord 2 with salt nic.  Flavors now range from good, to too much.  With modern mesh coils, it is way to easy to overdo the nic as well.  Only real issue is they burn through juice too fast.  I have trashed one, and currently have 2 others in rotation (abet one is missing in my car - really need to go dig for it, but it is damn hot outside).  Other issue is the battery only last so long - which is why I was rotating 2.  As for price, online I think I got them for the cost of a disposable.

That said, disposables rule the market these days.  I assume they are the highest profit margin and easiest to use.  Most are not even rechargable, but even the ones that are barely need to be.  They tend to run out of juice before they run out of battery - and they are not refillable.  I have gone through a bunch on trips, when I did not take any vape and wanted one on the 2nd 1/2 of the drive.  At first they had better flavor than my Nord 2's, but then new coil packs and the Nord is doing just about as well.  So far I have not found one with an open air flow - so once again I prefer my Nord 2's with the right pod and coil (different pods, designed for different style coils, greatly change the airflow).  Right now I have LP2 coils in it - but who knows, those have probably been beat by now.  Recently pulled out my RPM agian - it is far more mellow and relaxing, but I can not say I prefer it.  Maybe later in the year, when it cools off - going outside in cool air is a different experience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top