Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2024 6:51:46 PM EDT
I am looking to make a few things but one of them is cut custom 19" server rack panels that would bolt on to a server rack.  I was looking at milling machines which is still an option but I am not sure I need that much to cut circles and squares in flat aluminum that is probably around an 1/8" thick or a touch thicker.  I could see myself also using steel but unlikely.  Now the versatility of the mill for other things is a bonus but if there is a better tool for the job I am all ears.

What I would love to have is a CNC mill (?) that can do 11"x20" which for a server rack would cover up to 6U panels.  Most of the time I see anything with 11" is more like 40+" inches in the other direction which for other things is great but there is a cost to having a bigger machine.  Most of these even used on fleabay is probably $7k+ for a decent machine, then most of them are probably 5k Lbs or more if I have one that big.

Now what I would like is more of a table top version of a milling machine, CNC would be nice but honestly if I have to do it by hand....awe shucks.  Now I would like to be able to see the exact "cuts" so a digital readout would be way preferred.  Maybe I have the wrong tool for this job but why I started this thread.  If a milling machine is my best bet any good machines that has:

1.  I only have 115V power and would be one of the best paper weights ever if needed 220V/240V/480V....so another problem for a bigger machine.  
2.  I would prefer it not be really heavy, over 400 Lb will cause a big problem.  The lighter the better but I understand heavier machines might not have as much deviation.
3.  19-20" wide cutting area wide as your standing in front of it and hopefully 6" deep (this would at least get me to a 2U size).  If there is nothing that wide then I will have to turn the panel sideways which will increase the workload and risk of a mistake on my part.
4.  Be nice if the machine was upgradable, such as can add CNC functions later if it doesn't have it now....but this is not a must

Maybe I am dreaming but what brands would you look at?  I have seen JET, WEN, and a few others such as WEISS but since I am out of my element have no clue what is china junk and what is worth my money.  I am a cry once buy once person for the most part.  

WWYD
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 7:25:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont think the mill would be great for that. Although it would be great to have around for projects...

cnc router can do what you need and cheap enough. But honestly, I would just draw up what you want and send it off to Sendcutsend.com or protocase.com to have it laser cut. you can design the panel right on the protocase website as well. just seems to make way more sense to complete your project by subletting it and spend your time/money on something else.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 7:52:53 PM EDT
[#2]
CNC plasma table.  Thin metal won't need more than the 120 volts you have if you spec the right plasma.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 8:55:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By STUFFMAKER:
I dont think the mill would be great for that. Although it would be great to have around for projects...

cnc router can do what you need and cheap enough. But honestly, I would just draw up what you want and send it off to Sendcutsend.com or protocase.com to have it laser cut. you can design the panel right on the protocase website as well. just seems to make way more sense to complete your project by subletting it and spend your time/money on something else.
View Quote

I am going to be experimenting a lot, I want to be able to cut on demand after that bright idea fairy saw me at 1:27am if I want....[(87-60)+27 )].  I will have way more control over the final result.  

Thanks for all the help....off to look at cnc routers / plasma tables.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 9:37:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By number40Fan:
CNC plasma table.  Thin metal won't need more than the 120 volts you have if you spec the right plasma.
View Quote
Tell us your experiences?
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 10:36:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Mills aren't great for sheet metal parts, it can be made to work, but not the best.

Is this work you will be doing frequently? How many different shapes/sizes of holes? They make punches. If you do this a lot with repeating shapes/sizes then get punches, drill pilot hole where hole goes, put punch in, knock the hole out in 15 seconds, deburr and done.

You can't do square corners on a mill so those will require handwork with a file.

Or, as already said, CNC plasma table to cut the flat sheets.

You will likely need a metal brake as well. Sooner or later you'll need to bend some flanges on something if you do enough of that.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:47:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Look here, premade rack rails, standard EIA for rack stuff, 10-32 threaded holes, proper spacing

Parts Express rack rails

Audioplile

DIY Roadcase Store
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 2:48:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#7]
Originally Posted By KorinaBrother:
Look here, premade rack rails, standard EIA for rack stuff, 10-32 threaded holes, proper spacing

Parts Express rack rails

Audioplile

DIY Roadcase Store
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KorinaBrother:

Parts Express rack rails

Audioplile

DIY Roadcase Store

I am looking to make stuff that bolts to the front of a server rack, not build one.

Modify these for different applications:

Originally Posted By SigOwner_P229:
Mills aren't great for sheet metal parts, it can be made to work, but not the best.

Is this work you will be doing frequently? How many different shapes/sizes of holes? They make punches. If you do this a lot with repeating shapes/sizes then get punches, drill pilot hole where hole goes, put punch in, knock the hole out in 15 seconds, deburr and done.

You can't do square corners on a mill so those will require handwork with a file.

Or, as already said, CNC plasma table to cut the flat sheets.

You will likely need a metal brake as well  Yes I would agree  . Sooner or later you'll need to bend some flanges on something if you do enough of that.

I looked around but all I found was punches for like leather, nothing for aluminum but yes I would have slightly round corners using a CNC router, the size of the smallest router/milling bit I have on hand that wouldn't break for the material being used.

One of my first projects is to make a Ham "go box."  I plan to use a Gator Case, they use a standard 19" server rack size to mount the hardware.  I also plan to buy some aluminum square tubing for other projects and will need to make holes in for accessories, the best example but not exactly what I plan to do:

I see myself buying more tools and making more of my own stuff, I am tired of "out of stock" or made in china....

Link Posted: 1/13/2024 9:44:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:

I am looking to make stuff that bolts to the front of a server rack, not build one.

Modify these for different applications:

https://webobjects2.cdw.com/is/image/CDW/3849592?$product-main$

I looked around but all I found was punches for like leather, nothing for aluminum but yes I would have slightly round corners using a CNC router, the size of the smallest router/milling bit I have on hand that wouldn't break for the material being used.

View Quote
Here the punch I have-
Roper Whitney #17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top