Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2024 4:28:41 AM EDT
Had to make a quantity of bushings for a piece of farm equipment. Stock is turned & ground round steel bar. All manual lathe, no DRO. Bushing length tolerance is +/-0.010", ID tolerance is drill bit tolerance (no boring/reaming).

I got into a rhythm making them. Use parting tool holder at 0.000" as a stop for material, kick lathe on, drill hole, deburr hole, roll carriage over to stop, part 80% through, back off and run a file in the groove deburring 2 edges at once, finish parting, turn off and run carriage back to 0 to slide material out to stop point and repeat. This left only 1 edge (inner edge from parting tool on the parted bushing) for manual deburring. I got in a rhythm and decided to time myself. I averaged 1 min, 25 sec per part...add about 40 sec each for manual deburring of the remaining edge and I did ok. Dealer wanted $7 each for the bushings. Taking material costs out put me at about $180/hr for my time.

Not bad for a Sunday afternoon in the shop with a fire going, kids playing out in the sub zero weather coming in every 10 minutes to sit in front of the fire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top