Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/26/2024 8:00:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: aftac]
My Dad borrowed my AR-10 for some shooting class he wanted to take and he lost two PMAGs, my AR-10 BCG, and my Radian charging handle.  I am like Dad what's up and going on.  He said "your mom gets mad at me for cleaning guns on the dining room table and freaks out and then I just toss everything in a closet." Then she cleans the closets a few months later and moves things around.

I am like why the heck did you not put the bcg and charging handle back in the AR10.  He told me they were locked up in the safe.  

I am, I do not know what.  

Beforehand he lost my LWRCi BCG and I had to call LWRC but they were good they sent me out one.  I used to use LWRCi in my competitions.

Do I just go off and buy a new one after I get home from my Drill next week and write this off as do not loan stuff to my dad if my Mom is Home?  (99% of the time she is cleaning the house after my nephews mess it up)

They were good to me so I cannot be too harsh when I was going thru my last Divorce and then my last Deployment they held all 200K of ammo and guns while I moved from Virginia to Alabama with a Deployment to Afghanistan then Iraq in 2021-2022.  Good old number 8 deployment was a crazy.

This is just a vent
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:01:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:06:53 AM EDT
[#2]
You should kick his ass.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:07:42 AM EDT
[#3]
"You can borrow any gun you want as soon as the missing parts are found."

I'm sorry. Thats a tough situation, but kind of unexcusable after 2. I'd tall him not to clean guns anymore at the very least.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:10:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SteveJobs:
"You can borrow any gun you want as soon as the missing parts are found."

I'm sorry. Thats a tough situation, but kind of unexcusable after 2. I'd tall him not to clean guns anymore at the very least.
View Quote

Seriously, tell him he can borrow stuff but just give it back dirty and you will clean it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:10:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like none of this was done in bad faith. Family is 87 million times more important than a BCG and a couple of PMags.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:13:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I did not get mad I am just in a wow moment.  

He has had the gun for 8 months because I have been on my first year of being a full time Dad myself.  (I got full custody of my kids in September so I understand things do go missing now....)
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:16:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Speedwinder] [#7]
Feel lucky you still have your dad. Some day you won't.

Work out the problem and count your blessings.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:16:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Advance:
Sounds like none of this was done in bad faith. Family is 87 million times more important than a BCG and a couple of PMags.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:17:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I didn’t touch my son’s guns while he was deployed.  Sounds like you need to hook dad up with his own so he’ll leave yours alone?  
This is one my son got me after deployment.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:17:33 AM EDT
[#10]
That's way better than the problems I'm having with my Dad right now. Go give your dad a hug and move on.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:17:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Tell him to keep looking!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:19:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tveddy] [#12]
I would tell him that he is the one to blame cause he lost it. He knows the rules with his wife and still lost it. I would leave it at that and get new parts.
Eta
I thought about it longer and i would just buy new parts and tell him to give it back dirty the next time. For my dad i might just go buy him an ar...
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:19:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Neomonk21:

Seriously, tell him he can borrow stuff but just give it back dirty and you will clean it.
View Quote

The few times I’ve loaned agun that’s what I did

A person unfamiliar with a given firearm will do more damage cleaning it than using it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:20:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#14]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:20:32 AM EDT
[#15]
That’s weird and frustrating, but they’re your parents and if they did a good job of raising you, you should probably just let it go.

While your Dad is being a dumbass and your mom isn’t helping, it’s just stuff.

Most importantly, for the health of the relationship, be sure to set clear expectations/boundaries for any future borrowing.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:21:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ScottsGT:
I didn’t touch my son’s guns while he was deployed.  Sounds like you need to hook dad up with his own so he’ll leave yours alone?  
This is one my son got me after deployment.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/3512/Xfo66s.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/7154/6rfS2B.jpg
View Quote

Dibs on son.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:23:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: D_J] [#17]
Originally Posted By GreenGoose:
[Deleted]
View Quote

Bro…you need Jesus.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By jerrwhy01:
You should kick his ass.
View Quote

This OP.

He'll never learn until you smack him around real good. He has to learn resonsibility, oh and while you're there, give your mom a what for too. It'll be a tough evening for them but all will be better off in the long run.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:23:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Buy new stuff and move on. Don't let him borrow things in the future.

If he finds it and returns it build another rifle from it.

I honestly can't remember the last time anyone actually borrowed anything from me. I remember the last time a neighbor asked me. It was a stand up paddle board and some inflatable stuff for a party they were having and I flat out told her no.

I've given plenty of people stuff. But lend and expect it to come back in the same condition? Nope.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:24:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chase45] [#20]
Id just make him find it lol

How many closets can there really be to search

Mom prob threw it in a drawer some place if she actually moved it
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:24:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Speedwinder:

View Quote

During a visit, my Dad Jammed and broke a zipper on a new waterproof duffle of mine.
I didn’t say anything , but I was a little pissed

He died of a massive heart attack later that week.
That was 2005; I still think about it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:27:11 AM EDT
[#22]
My parents only used a couple guns my Dad has his own but he is 70 and a retired fighter pilot / airline pilot and my Mom is basically raising two 5 year old twins because my brother and his wife are so coddling if my dad raises his voice to tell them no everyone attacks him.  

I let him use my M6A2 and this AR10 I built mainly because and he has my old S&W shield because his S&W M&P 9 was too big to carry on travel.  

Like people said it could be worse.  Just was a vent session so I could get it out of my system without bringing it up later.  

Now my brother stealing my first Ranger Beret from my Dad that I gave my Dad for being a good Dad, and telling people at work it was his, now that is a different story.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:27:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Show him who's boss! Piss on him and fuck his wife.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:28:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By BoneB1B:

During a visit, my Dad Jammed and broke a zipper on a new waterproof duffle of mine.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BoneB1B:
Originally Posted By Speedwinder:

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:28:37 AM EDT
[#25]
He gave you life. Give him some grace.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:30:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By aftac:
My parents only used a couple guns my Dad has his own but he is 70 and a retired fighter pilot / airline pilot and my Mom is basically raising two 5 year old twins because my brother and his wife are so coddling if my dad raises his voice to tell them no everyone attacks him.  

I let him use my M6A2 and this AR10 I built mainly because and he has my old S&W shield because his S&W M&P 9 was too big to carry on travel.  

Like people said it could be worse.  Just was a vent session so I could get it out of my system without bringing it up later.  

Now my brother stealing my first Ranger Beret from my Dad that I gave my Dad for being a good Dad, and telling people at work it was his, now that is a different story.
View Quote

That’s the right attitude, op.

You don’t beat up your old man. You can beat up your brother if he deserves it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:31:30 AM EDT
[#27]
        I would be unhappy but it sounds like he is a good dad so I would just replace the parts and maybe do as the others have said and just ask him to return the guns dirty.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:34:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By jerrwhy01:
You should kick his ass.
View Quote

Put down some plastic first.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:34:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Once my dad told me he mailed me my SS card.

It never showed up… He says “I swore I sent it, it must’ve gotten lost.”

I went through the ass pain of getting a new SS card.

Over a decade later my Dad finds my SS card, still in the safe. He never sent it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:35:27 AM EDT
[#30]

I know OP, that you never lost or broke anything of your dad’s while growing up.

I wish my dad was still here to cause me troubles.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:43:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: grey50beast] [#31]
Originally Posted By jos51700:
That's way better than the problems I'm having with my Dad right now. Go give your dad a hug and move on.
View Quote

Yeah for real. Imagine wiping for your 60 year old dad, right after he smacks you for stopping his mobility chair.

Sack up Nancy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:44:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By peanutman:

I know OP, that you never lost or broke anything of your dad’s while growing up.

I wish my dad was still here to cause me troubles.

View Quote

My dad has a garage full of every tool known to man. You can bet we “borrowed” and lost/broke a shit ton of screwdrivers and pliers over the years.

If my dad lost something of mine (even if he intentionally threw it away), my response would be “I deserved that.

He eventually instituted a sign out system for us and the neighbors. He doesn’t lose tools anymore.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:47:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Advance:
View Quote

Yep. I hate to be that guy, but consider yourself lucky you even have a relationship with your father. A lot of us don't and personally I'd trade my entire safe for my daughter to have a grandfather.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:47:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:48:41 AM EDT
[#35]
I would just think of all my Dads tools and other stuff that I lost of his when I was a kid. The relationship with Dad is far more important than a few material things.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Forget about it, give him a hug and move on.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:52:03 AM EDT
[#37]
My dad doesn't lose stuff.

His talent lies in breaking stuff.

Side by side, JD tractor, JCB backhoe. Irritating as he is 77 and has an ocean of capable kids and grands.

Whatever, it still makes him happy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:53:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:54:04 AM EDT
[#39]
If you lost your dad’s stuff, you’d replace it, right? Because you were raised to do the right thing.

I’m still having trouble understanding your dad. He left your stuff in a closet and your mom threw it out. Why isn’t he offering to replace it?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:55:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:55:26 AM EDT
[#41]
I would give away every possession and dollar I have to have my dad around again, even for a short while.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:55:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Is your dad broke? I can’t imagine borrowing something and not returning it in the condition I got it in. (If it’s a working gun and I take a class, there may be a few more marks on it, but it would function 100%).
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:00:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Wait, you guys have Dads?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:01:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By TX_Road_Warrior:
Show him who's boss! Piss on him and fuck his wife.
View Quote

I think I did, when I was younger
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:01:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Senility? Perhaps he's entering a mental state where he should not have access to guns.
BTW, senility is not just for us old farts. It affects all age groups, although sometimes under different names.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:04:02 AM EDT
[#46]
My dad keeps borrowing my stuff and not returning it, I think it's revenge for all the years I borrowed his stuff and didn't bring it back

My dad is pretty awesome
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:04:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By RevolverRO:
If you lost your dad’s stuff, you’d replace it, right? Because you were raised to do the right thing.

I’m still having trouble understanding your dad. He left your stuff in a closet and your mom threw it out. Why isn’t he offering to replace it?
View Quote

He thinks he can find it.  The issue is really timing of finding things if that makes sense and doing it while my mom is doing some other stuff.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:04:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By BuckeyeRifleman:
Once my dad told me he mailed me my SS card.

It never showed up… He says “I swore I sent it, it must’ve gotten lost.”

I went through the ass pain of getting a new SS card.

Over a decade later my Dad finds my SS card, still in the safe. He never sent it.
View Quote

Lol, I had something similar with an important licensing document that needed to go to a friend I bought a Python from.  A mutual friend and coworker offered to drop it off at his house as they were neighbors.  So I give him the envelope.  A year later the seller calls me asking for the document, he’s 80+ so I chalk it up to he forgot and misplaced it.  I tap dance with the licensing office and get a replacement and hand deliver it this time and have a beer with the gent.  He says the mutual friend never gave it to him.  I follow up with mutual friend who has no recollection of it.  Five months later after I moved I get a letter in the mail from the mutual friend with the first copy missing document.  He found it in his car.  . The 80 year old guy was sharper than the 32 year old.

My motto is “Trust no one Mulder”
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:05:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Ever wreck your dad’s shit as a kid? This is payback .
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top