[Last Edit: mnd] [#1]

ETA:  So you're the couch?
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 9:58:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Any particular parking lot?
Looks like govt delivery.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 10:08:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Why is the one over the cab backed on? To keep the engine weight further to the center?
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 10:08:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
Any particular parking lot?
Looks like govt delivery.
View Quote

Those are export vehicles headed to the Middle East.  Mostly Saudi Arabia.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 10:11:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#5]
Originally Posted By MaxFenig:
Why is the one over the cab backed on? To keep the engine weight further to the center?
View Quote

Height.

In Texas we are allowed to run at 14'0".  On this transport you have to back it on and drop the wheels into the pockets to get the height down.

It's a "healthy" 14 foot even so.

Attachment Attached File

The Toyota load above load was 13'10" because the Tundra has a solid rear axle and the wheels can be dropped farther into the pockets.

The Tahoe/Denali/Escalades have a rear IFS which will bottom out if you aren't careful.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/16/2023 10:14:03 PM EDT
[#6]
That's a mean sun visor. Ain't no chrome shop got one like that.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 10:16:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I said 'make a rule about them lot lizards early'

Here we are.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 10:18:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Dopple:
That's a mean sun visor. Ain't no chrome shop got one like that.
View Quote

Best in the industry.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/16/2023 10:33:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By PhuzzyGnu:

Height.

In Texas we are allowed to run at 14'0".  On this transport you have to back it on and drop the wheels into the pockets to get the height down.

It's a "healthy" 14 foot even so.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/PXL_20230413_231740815-01_2_jpeg-2785643.JPG

The Toyota load above load was 13'10" because the Tundra has a solid rear axle and the wheels can be dropped farther into the pockets.

The Tahoe/Denali/Escalades have a rear IFS which will bottom out if you aren't careful.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/PXL_20211130_214652732_jpg-2785660.JPG

View Quote

Thank you very much for the explanation.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 4:30:36 AM EDT
[#10]
How do you deal with redlights?
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 6:38:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd be more scared to back the vehicles on those ramps than anything.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 7:06:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By PyrPaw:
View Quote

X1
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 7:43:06 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

You have to be careful driving down a surface street because the lights tend to disappear behind the vehicle and/or that crossbar.  Every. Time.
Can't see them when you pull up to them.

I'll look at the reflection in the hood.  Or I'll wait for everyone else to go- the can't all be wrong, can they?

Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:44:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm surprised they don't have a camera up front for you to see overhead signage and lights.

I'm also surprised that they put a vehicle there for weight considerations...that's a lot of weight on those front two tires.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:07:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
I'm also surprised that they put a vehicle there for weight considerations...that's a lot of weight on those front two tires.
View Quote

He’s not able to put any of his trailer weight on the front axle since he has a rear coupler unlike having a 5th wheel you can slide. He won’t be weighing much anyhow compared to hauling commodities where you can load to max legal weight if that’s all you want.the front axle can normally carry 12,000. I don’t know if OP’s rating is the same with those tires or not.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:24:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

View Quote

Originally Posted By harrymank:

.the front axle can normally carry 12,000. I don't know if OP's rating is the same with those tires or not.
View Quote

We run a 14,600lb steer axle with load range J 130psi steers.

Attachment Attached File

In Louisiana and other states we can run 14,600 up front.  Texas goes by tire rating so we can run 14,780lbs on the steers.

The load in the OP is legal on all axles and gross.  Barely.  The sleeper truck is heavier than our daycabs.

Attachment Attached File

My truck with the load above is only 13,500 or so on the steers and around 76k gross.

Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:29:24 AM EDT
[#17]

We run a 14,600lb steer axle with load range J 130psi steers.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/PXL_20230417_131634573_jpg-2785939.JPG

In Louisiana and other states we can run 14,600 up front.  Texas goes by tire rating so we can run 14,780lbs on the steers.

The load in the OP is legal on all axles and gross.  Barely.  The sleeper truck is heavier than our daycabs.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/PXL_20211210_171441825-01_jpeg-2785941.JPG

My truck with the load above is only 13,500 or so on the steers and around 76k gross.

View Quote

Very cool. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 10:05:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: harrymank] [#18]
Colorado sucks on weight limits if you follow the law.  Most ag guys buy a divisible permit which allows them to go to 97k but I’ve never gotten an answer on how you are supposed to axle out in that instance.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 11:09:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#19]

He's not able to put any of his trailer weight on the front axle since he has a rear coupler unlike having a 5th wheel you can slide.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

I do have a fifth wheel but it's itty bitty.  It does not slide, though some transports have sliding fifth wheels or kingpins.  (The "no step" parts are rock guards that keep debris from peppering the bottom front car.  They go under the nose of the trailer in turns).

Also, the pictures above and below show the difference in available space between a daycab (above) and a sleeper (my old one, below).  I can put a full size truck behind the cab on my current daycab and nothing hangs over.  On my sleeper truck even a small Caddy SUV would overhang and limit my turning clearance.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/17/2023 11:42:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Are RR crossings a problem?
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 12:00:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Are RR crossings a problem?
View Quote

They can be.  Search YouTube for evidence.

We have an overlift switch that over-inflates the air bags on our drives and trailers.  It gives us about 4" more clearance.  

Attachment Attached File

These trucks drag everywhere.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 12:39:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Good pics- thanks!
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 12:20:12 AM EDT
[#23]
How often do you run into problems with damage from transport?
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:06:58 AM EDT
[#24]
How often do you run into problems with damage from transport?
View Quote

I don't damage vehicles.  At least no at-fault damages since January 2015 when I nicked a Camry bumper. Being OCD is helpful.

(knock on wood)

As for not at fault, I'll have a couple of rear glass blowouts a year and the occasional rock chip.  My most expensive was a surprise hail storm in west Texas that totalled seven out of nine vehicles.  

Some guys tear shit up all the time.

Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By mnd:
https://i.imgflip.com/7ieiea.jpg
ETA:  So you're the couch?
View Quote

Never has a more perfect picture online been found so fast. Bravo for making me laugh so hard I can't breathe! And there's even six of 'em.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:42:08 AM EDT
[#26]
@PhuzzyGnu

If a vehicle is damaged due to loading, presumably you (or your insurance?) pay for the damage.  

Who is responsible in the case of hail as you mentioned?
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:29:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#27]
Originally Posted By Woodchuck1:
@PhuzzyGnu

If a vehicle is damaged due to loading, presumably you (or your insurance?) pay for the damage.  

Who is responsible in the case of hail as you mentioned?
View Quote

I'm a company driver.  The company self-pays for damages <$50,000*.  I have a quality bonus (3.5% per quarter) that is affected if I have damages.

Owner-operators have cargo damage insurance but will often pay small damages out of pocket to avoid deductibles and rate increases.

In the case of the hailstorm, it was an Act of God and insurance paid.

*We once had a driver back a luxury vehicle into a pole at parking lot speeds.  It hit in just the right place at just the right angle to damage the body and the hatch and other stuff to the tune of $49,000+.  It is our most expensive, non-totalled, self pay.

Link Posted: 4/18/2023 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#28]

I don't damage vehicles.  At least no at-fault damages since January 2015 when I nicked a Camry bumper. Being OCD is helpful.

(knock on wood)

As for not at fault, I'll have a couple of rear glass blowouts a year and the occasional rock chip.  My most expensive was a surprise hail storm in west Texas that totalled seven out of nine vehicles.  

Some guys tear shit up all the time.

View Quote

Weather or road debris is what I meant. You usually sound like you are on top of things so I wouldn’t expect you do be doing damage.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 2:49:38 PM EDT
[#29]

Weather or road debris is what I meant. You usually sound like you are on top of things so I wouldn't expect you do be doing damage.
View Quote

We once had 3 or 4 trucks -each loaded with 11 cars- convoying out of a manufacturer in Mississippi.

They got caught in a storm that was possibly tornadic and they all lost their entire loads.  I believe the shipper's insurance paid on that one.

Road debris is uncommon, surprisingly enough.  Eyebrows raise when a driver has too many "road debris" claims.

The best confirmed road debris story I know involved a driver, a Toyota Sienna backed on up top and in front, and a large seagull.  The driver saw the bird fly up, thought he hit it and pulled over.  Yup- the rear window was broken.

Oh well, he thought, he was close to the dealer so no biggee.

He gets to the dealer, unloads everything else and climbs up to get the Sienna...  And it "looked like a pillow fight murder scene".  The big ol' bird didn't die instantly when it when through the Sienna back window.  It made it inside and flopped around the entire cream colored interior of the van, shedding blood and feathers everywhere.

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 11:37:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cheepjeep85] [#30]
@PhuzzyGnu did you pass thru chattanooga tn last week? I think i may have passed you. Bolt face logo on the back of the sleeper?
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 11:48:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Cheepjeep85:
@PhuzzyGnu did you pass thru chattanooga tn last week? I think i may have passed you. Bolt face logo on the back of the sleeper?
View Quote

That was my old truck.

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 12:03:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Are you hauling to dealers only? Any private transport?
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 3:54:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By xXNuggettXx:
Are you hauling to dealers only? Any private transport?
View Quote

99% contract OEM new cars to dealers or direct ship to fleet customers.

1% spot buy broker loads for customers like Carvana or CarMax.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 5:42:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OverScoped] [#34]
How much does it really cost to ship 1 Jap car from California to Pennsylvania if  they are bulk shipped.

I'm assuming most is by rail.

Dealers around here charge 1500 bucks each..

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:29:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By OverScoped:
How much does it really cost to ship 1 Jap car from California to Pennsylvania if  they are bulk shipped.

I'm assuming most is by rail.

Dealers around here charge 1500 bucks each..

View Quote

I don't know for sure but I'll ask.

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#36]
I drove a mixer for a couple of years and it was pretty tippy. I can only imagine how tippy that rig is.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 11:56:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By VACaver:
I drove a mixer for a couple of years and it was pretty tippy. I can only imagine how tippy that rig is.
View Quote

They aren't bad.

My transport is very light at 42,500 lbs empty and much of the weight is down low.  A load will never be more than 37,500.

They have a floaty, bouncy ride.  A primary hit from the Peterbilt's suspension and then a secondary and tertiary bounce from the compression and rebound of the cargo units.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Who drives the cars on?

Link Posted: 8/6/2023 8:08:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By FredMan:
Who drives the cars on?

View Quote

I load and unload the vehicles.

Attachment Attached File

I'm not particularly fast but this one took an hour or so to fetch, load, and secure the cars. We have city drivers that do five or six local loads a day and they will load a truck properly in 20 minutes.

Fun fact: the Carvana transport guys do not load their own trucks.

Link Posted: 8/7/2023 8:24:42 PM EDT
[#40]
I assume you have a spotter while loading?

I’d be paranoid about screwing up.

Link Posted: 8/7/2023 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By FredMan:
I assume you have a spotter while loading?

I'd be paranoid about screwing up.

View Quote

No need.  You get used to it after you do it a few thousand times.

No pressure or anything.  Just back this $80k Tundra TRD Pro down into the belly in the rain, huh?

Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top