Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2024 6:45:15 AM EDT
I changed out the the blades on my ZT mower yesterday.  Two of the screws came out easily.  The third was a bitch.

700 ft./lb. of torque from that impact wrench wouldn't break it free.
So I hit the screw with a MAPP torch for a minute.  Still took a good 30 seconds of impact to get it out.

I have no idea why that thing was so difficult.  I'd tightened them all by hand the last time I changed blades.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:26:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Screws?

Cool story.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:41:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eracer] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FG24U:
Screws?

Cool story.
View Quote

That's what they are.  They look something like this, only big and black.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:59:31 AM EDT
[#3]
OP likes big, black screws
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:05:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By FG24U:
Screws?

Cool story.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:07:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Your gun is telling you that you need its big brother, 1400ftlbs
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:41:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By eracer:  That's what they are.  They look something like this, only big and black.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:55:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By madmathew:
View Quote

Just bought that one.  Very nice.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#8]
That MAPP bottle must be pretty old since they quit making it in 2008.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:12:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rfoxtrot] [#9]
The new dewalt guns rock. 892 I think is what I have? Bought like 4 of them for vehicles and garage. I prefer the hog ring setup. I've ran old IR and snap on air guns and it takes a lot to wear rings out. Detents are a pain sometimes.

Throw a powerstack battery on that bitch and let her eat.

Scary how much torque they lay down. Violent almost as it winds up. Starts gentle then about impact five-ish it revs up. I haven't used my 3/4 ingersol gun in a long time now. The range these newer electrics cover is pretty insane. And cheap too. Fact the air compressor sits almost always now. I blow interiors out at the car wash. The portable tire inflators are way handier. Not having all that noise in the garage is great.

I would have liked to be in there he room when the argument occurred that spurred Dewalt into not being Milwaukee's bitch anymore. I swear something happened, and it was decreed no more bullshit. Man I'll bet that was a very heated and pissy conversation. Probably happened at a corporate retreat or some shit. The latest gen of dewalt anything is next level shit. Even my brother who is a Milwaukee fanboy to the death was like "fuck this thing runs" as we where changing a blow out a night a few weeks back on a flatbed that he had a tire blow out on.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:19:03 AM EDT
[#10]
This would have zipped it right off.  

But honestly, I'd rather use heat plus less torque, for fear of shearing off the bolt head.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:24:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CenterMass762] [#11]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

But honestly, I'd rather use heat plus less torque, for fear of shearing off the bolt head.

https://i.postimg.cc/25H40Fth/screenshot-820.jpg

View Quote

It would've zipped off a part of it, at least.

Also, this is me after a three week dry spell:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:29:33 AM EDT
[#12]

https://i.postimg.cc/25H40Fth/screenshot-820.jpg

View Quote

Indeed...
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:43:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By BladedRonin:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:02:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By CenterMass762:

View Quote
My last Mapp bottle just ran out.  I am surprised my insta-start torch works pretty well with propane.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:35:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By eracer:

I have no idea why that thing was so difficult.  I'd tightened them all by hand the last time I changed blades.
View Quote

The direction the blades spin can tighten the bolts, along with striking objects.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Ranxerox911:
The direction the blades spin can tighten the bolts, along with striking objects.
View Quote

I bet you're right on about striking an object.  I can see how that force could torque the screw.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By tspike:

You forgot 'case hardened.'
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:05:22 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

DCF900 is better, but DCF961 kicks its ass (and yours, if you're not careful).
DCF899 = 1200ft.lbs. - like shooting a .44mag
DCF900 = 1400ft.lbs. - like shooting a .500mag
DCF961 = 1750ft.lbs. - like shooting a .50BMG pistol

When you absolutely, positively need to blow the ever-lovin' shit out of something.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:46:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm just sitting here, waiting for Ryobi to come out with a good one.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#20]
PB Blaster and heat have helped me break a few bolts loose. A good long breaker bar is always nice as well.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:33:19 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Might be waiting a while bud. it took DeWalt a lot of years to unfuck their situation.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:45:49 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

There was a thread on arfcom and a bunch of us got the DCF899 for like $130 with battery and charger
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:00:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Captain_Morgan:
PB Blaster and heat have helped me break a few bolts loose. A good long breaker bar is always nice as well.
View Quote

Had to do this a couple weeks ago to a wheel that wouldn't come off my tractor's front axle.

Heat, squirt, beat, repeat. Used a hand sledge and a short piece of 2x4 on the back side of the wheel as a beating surface. Took a few rounds but I got the thing loose
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:47:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Living in the NE rust belt the DeWalt (or Milwaukee, take you pick) battery impacts have been life altering in terms of working on old rusted crap.  

Of course, more often than not, the gas axe can come out to play along with his friends Sawzall and angle grinder.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:04:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DADGAD] [#25]
I just changed the fluids on my Kubota BX for the first time yesterday. The engine oil filter is tucked in a tiny spot, and I had heard that the factory could sometimes over tighten the oil filter, so I was somewhat ready.

I ended up ripping off the entire sheet metal casing with a screwdriver, vice grips and tin snips to get at the harder steel ring at the bottom. I had to wail on that ring full force for 3/4 of a turn before it would budge even with light blows. Not as much fun as a torch, but I sure as hell wasn't putting any flames or power tools in that space.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:05:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:11:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
My last Mapp bottle just ran out.  I am surprised my insta-start torch works pretty well with propane.
View All Quotes

And mapp pro is only a little better than propane and costs a lot more than propane
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:15:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Eh, I used my late father’s old air powered impact wrench to knock some bolts retaining the blades on the Gravely yesterday.

I’m sure the battery powered ones are awesome, but I already have tools that will do the job without spending more $$.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:17:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CenterMass762] [#29]
Originally Posted By BURN:

And mapp pro is only a little better than propane and costs a lot more than propane
View All Quotes

Yeah, MAPP Pro is a joke. It burns like 100° hotter than propane and real MAPP (an acronym for MethylAcetylene-Propadiene and Propane) was something like 1800° hotter than propane.

I'm still salty about MAPP production being stopped, if you can't tell.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:34:50 AM EDT
[#30]

Yeah, MAPP Pro is a joke. It burns like 100  hotter than propane and real MAPP (an acronym for MethylAcetylene-Propadiene and Propane) was something like 1800  hotter than propane.

View All Quotes

Yeah, MAPP Pro is a joke. It burns like 100  hotter than propane and real MAPP (an acronym for MethylAcetylene-Propadiene and Propane) was something like 1800  hotter than propane.

I never knew it was gone.  I've still got a cylinder or 2.  

Pre-ban MAPP gas.  See me in the EE.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:37:38 AM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

1400 lb/ft torque...
im curious as to what the breaking torque on a 1/2 inch drive is at this point. DANM. im more than happy with my little cheap one that does 500 lbfeet.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:
Eh, I used my late father's old air powered impact wrench to knock some bolts retaining the blades on the Gravely yesterday.

I'm sure the battery powered ones are awesome, but I already have tools that will do the job without spending more $$.
View Quote
Pneumatics will, IME, still out-run the electrics.  The convenience of the electrics is unmatched, but I've had a few bolts my Milwaukee 1/2" wouldn't break that my ingersoll ate right up.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:19:10 AM EDT
[#33]
I have the slightly older Fuel wrench that makes like 1200 ft-lbs of torque.  

Rebuilding the dipper cylinder on a Case backhoe and it wouldn't touch the bolt that holds the piston on the bottom of the rod.  It did break loose the smaller bolts on the smaller cylinders like the outriggers and swing cylinders.

Ended up taking it to a shop to have them take it loose and I got to watch.  The heated the heck out of the bolt head with an acetylene torch and then hammered on it with a 1" impact that makes like 2400 ft-lbs.  It finally came out!  It turns out Case had put thread locker ALL over the whole length of the bolt.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:23:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By fsjdw2:

1400 lb/ft torque...
im curious as to what the breaking torque on a 1/2 inch drive is at this point. DANM. im more than happy with my little cheap one that does 500 lbfeet.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:14:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Was reading the manual and they mentioned screws AND washers holding the blades on.

I've changed blades a few times and don't remember washers.  They're probably in the grass where I left them the last time.
Anyway, I got the specified washers and added them.

Maybe that's why the darn screw was so hard to remove.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:42:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Bolt.

Blade bolt.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By MethaneMover:
Pneumatics will, IME, still out-run the electrics.  The convenience of the electrics is unmatched, but I've had a few bolts my Milwaukee 1/2" wouldn't break that my ingersoll ate right up.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MethaneMover:
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:
Eh, I used my late father's old air powered impact wrench to knock some bolts retaining the blades on the Gravely yesterday.

I'm sure the battery powered ones are awesome, but I already have tools that will do the job without spending more $$.

This was only powered by a little tank (the 5 gallon donut air compressor for roofing type jobs), but it did the trick. If I had hooked it up to the old 35 gallon compressor Daddy had in the other garage, it woulda wrecked things.

Seriously, if it weren’t for the fact that I’ve already got the tools, I’d be looking for a battery op on sale.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:52:05 AM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

I'm pretty sure Ryobi had a monster of a 1/2" impact that ended up being discontinued. It was more powerful than the Milwaukee, but since Milwaukee and Ryobi are owned by the same parent company, you can't have you consumer brand out performing your professional brand.

They talked about it on the Torque Test Youtube channel. Maybe you could find one on the secondary market?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:59:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Usually a screw has a slotted head of some sort. A bolt uses a socket. This IS America after all. Don’t be a victim of lost in translation.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By JamPo:
Usually a screw has a slotted head of some sort. A bolt uses a socket. This IS America after all. Don’t be a victim of lost in translation.
View Quote

Technically it's a cap screw. A bolt has a nut that tightens onto it. A cap screw threads into a tapped hole and is tightened by turning its head.

Personally, I call them all bolts, but he's right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top