Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2023 11:13:25 AM EDT
Does anyone here have any experience with either of these two units?
Or have any other suggestions on a unit that costs under $1000?

Genmitsu CNC Router Machine 4040-PRO

Amazon Product
  • An effective working area of 15.7\u201d x 15.7\u201d x 3.1\u201d is large enough for most daily wood carving projects. The redesigned Z-axis carriage makes swapping a spindle easier. Adding more screw holes on the non-all-in-one Z-axis carriage allows you to install the larger spindle higher for extra overfeed height.

FoxAlien Masuter Pro CNC Router Machine

Amazon Product
  • Structure Upgrade: Masuter Pro is an All-Aluminum CNC router machine. The Z-axis uses Linear Rail instead of rods and T8 lead screw, this greatly improves the stability and accuracy.

Link Posted: 11/20/2023 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#1]
In for interest.

I've always wanted one of those, but concerns above cost were
How do you know exactly how to line up the wood or Substrate with where its thinks it is and is going to engrave, so that the engraving goes in the right spot, if that makes sense.  Same with the laser engravers.

Next concern is the ability to work a large enough piece of wood, plastic or what ever...

Then, where would I put it.

My son bought a 500.00 laser one off Amazon a few years ago and used it for a few weeks and sent it back.
It was pretty neat, but had limitations. He did not have it long enough for me to get to try it out or play with it.

Link Posted: 11/20/2023 11:45:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By smullen:
In for interest.

How do you know exactly how to line up the wood or Substrate with where its thinks it is and is going to engrave, so that the engraving goes in the right spot, if that makes sense.  Same with the laser engravers.
A lot of laser CNC machines have a camera that aids in setting the zero point, it's a bit harder in these lessor expensive CNC machines - basically you drive the spindle to the lower left corner of the work piece and then tell the control software that's the zero or start point.

Next concern is the ability to work a large enough piece of wood, plastic or what ever...
The two CNC machines that listed will have more than enough working room for what I'm planning to use it for, if needed extension kits are available to lengthen the Y-axis.

Then, where would I put it.
Yeah, there's always that issue, but I can find a place even if I have to put it in one of my spare bedrooms that has turned into sort of a junk room...

My son bought a 500.00 laser one off Amazon a few years ago and used it for a few weeks and sent it back.
It was pretty neat, but had limitations. He did not have it long enough for me to get to try it out or play with it.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:31:14 PM EDT
[#3]
In for interest.

View Quote

For CNC machines, you will set the 'zero' point in all three axes as part of the setup, so you'll know where the carving will start.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:50:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: uglygun] [#4]
Biggest issue likely will come from whatever junk spindle/router they are using.

If you can make something to hold a dewalt dwp611 or comparable makita you will likely be better off.

Zaxis is probably barely enough to work with the router provided.

Axis travel speeds may be really slow as well, if under 100ipm it is SLOW given how fast wood can be removed.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 1:28:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By uglygun:
Biggest issue likely will come frim whatever junk spindle/router they are using.

If you can make something to hold a dewalt dwp611 or comparable makita you will likely be better off.

Zaxis is probably barely enough to work with the router provided.

Axis travel speeds may be really slow as well, if under 100ipm it is SLOW given how fast wood can be removed.
View Quote

Yeah, both CNC machines I listed have clamps available for a trim router (and I have a 6.5amp trim router comparable to the Dewalt) and it will most likely be the first upgrade I make.
I really don't care about the axis travel speed, most of what I plan on doing is going to be simple surfacing and I'm not in any hurry.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 1:52:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Out of the two machines the first ome with the linear rails holds my attention better than the one with the 3D printer style wheels.

I have a Millright Mega V and the amount of debris that gets into the wheels is annoying as hell.

Look into tram process and issues for the linear rail version and see if it has any major failings.   Already looks like router has quality/durability issues which is a no brainer.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 2:34:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By uglygun:
Out of the two machines the first ome with the linear rails holds my attention better than the one with the 3D printer style wheels.

I have a Millright Mega V and the amount of debris that gets into the wheels is annoying as hell.

Look into tram process and issues for the linear rail version and see if it has any major failings.   Already looks like router has quality/durability issues which is a no brainer.
View Quote
Right now, I'm tending to agree with you on the linear rails and screw drive.
It looks like the max acceleration is a smidge over 100ipm (quite a bit slower than the Fox Alien belt drive), but as I said - speed isn't going to be a concern for me.
I did find a YouTube video on how to build a spoil board and how to tram the Z axis, it doesn't look too hard.
There is also an optional dust collector available that attaches to the stock spindle, but I'd have to come up with something else if/when I put the trim router on it because my trim router doesn't have a dust collection port.
Thanks for your input.

Link Posted: 11/20/2023 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Another option is to build your own.  They're not terribly complicated... I would guess that anyone who can make an Ender 3 3D printer print correctly can likely build a CNC router.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 3:21:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: timkel] [#9]
I can't speak about the CNC you reference. I've been running this CNC6040 with 1500w spindle. There is a learning curve to running CNC.

Link Posted: 11/20/2023 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By timkel:
I can't speak about the CNC you reference. I've been running this CNC6040 with 1500w spindle. There is a learning curve to running CNC.
https://i.postimg.cc/KzqYfkjv/deerpan001.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/L4xm0csy/CNCspindlecont01.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/Jh0jvd5k/Mach3-Screen001.jpg

View Quote

That's a manly feed rate there.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 3:25:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: timkel] [#11]
Some recent jobs

Link Posted: 11/20/2023 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By timkel:
https://i.postimg.cc/KzqYfkjv/deerpan001.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/L4xm0csy/CNCspindlecont01.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/Jh0jvd5k/Mach3-Screen001.jpg

Nice work.
I'm not planning on anything like that - yet.
Just some simple surfacing and pocketing on cutting/charcuterie boards, and other simple 2d/2.5d projects.
I have done some CAD designs in FreeCad for a 3d printer, so I'm kind of up on that.
I'm planning on using Easel for CAM, and UGS for Control (even though Easel can do CAD/CAM and Control).
Then I'll see where it goes from there - probably buy some inexpensive CAD files off of Etsy or any other online source that I can find to play with at first.

Link Posted: 11/20/2023 11:01:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AZ_Sky:
It looks like the max acceleration is a smidge over 100ipm (quite a bit slower than the Fox Alien belt drive), but as I said - speed isn't going to be a concern for me.
I did find a YouTube video on how to build a spoil board and how to tram the Z axis, it doesn't look too hard.
There is also an optional dust collector available that attaches to the stock spindle, but I'd have to come up with something else if/when I put the trim router on it because my trim router doesn't have a dust collection port.
Thanks for your input.

View Quote

You absolutely need to care about axis speed.

Trim routers can’t run at very low rpm’s.  End mills has a designed Chipload that needs to be maintained. If you are moving too slow you wooo be over heating and burning up bits and material.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 11:15:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_Sky] [#14]
Originally Posted By Quicky06:

Trim routers can't run at very low rpm's.  End mills has a designed Chipload that needs to be maintained. If you are moving too slow you wooo be over heating and burning up bits and material.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Quicky06:
Thanks for your input.

Trim routers can't run at very low rpm's.  End mills has a designed Chipload that needs to be maintained. If you are moving too slow you wooo be over heating and burning up bits and material.
Hmmm, guess I'll need to research that a bit more.
Instead of the trim router, I could always upgrade the stock 75 watt spindle motor to the 300W or 500W version which have a much larger speed control range.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 11:58:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Look up PrintNC.

Link Posted: 11/21/2023 12:27:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd lean toward Onefinity or shapeoko.  I know guys running both.  The Onefinity design from a couple years ago was awesome and very good at its price point.  My buddy ran a hand router on the Onefinity for a year before he upgraded to a water cooled machine spindle. Night and day difference on machine speed and noise.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 5:31:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I've always just used the full size bosch wood routers for mine. 1617 evs (with speed control)

As to the overall machine... I'd keep an eye out for school auctions.  Same as with any other woodwoorking machinery.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Auction-win-CNC-router-/197-2634413/

Link Posted: 11/21/2023 8:55:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Homesteader375] [#18]
I've had a couple of modest CNC routers. Current unit is a Longmill. Much recommend. Lots of bang for the buck.

https://sienci.com/product-category/longmill/
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I really need to keep the cost under $1K (obviously this limits the serious CNC machines and limits me to entry level).
Plus, I don't have much room left in my garage, so the machine needs to be small enough to fit on the workbench and moved to storage when not used.
I'm not planning on getting hard core serious about CNC machining, I just need it for simple non-precision wood surfacing and perhaps toying around with simple wood reliefs/carvings.

For software, the free stuff that I have found will work fine for me for now BUT -
If I get hooked and wanted to step it up a bit - what would be a decent non-subscription 3D CAM program - Vcarve PRO, Carbide PRO, MeshCAM. etc....
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 12:14:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: uglygun] [#20]
I went pretty far with free version of Fusion360 including outputting generic g-code NC files.

Creating good mesh/models for importing into Fusion may be a learning experience

Link Posted: 11/22/2023 12:26:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: midmo] [#21]
I really need to keep the cost under $1K (obviously this limits the serious CNC machines and limits me to entry level).
Plus, I don't have much room left in my garage, so the machine needs to be small enough to fit on the workbench and moved to storage when not used.
I'm not planning on getting hard core serious about CNC machining, I just need it for simple non-precision wood surfacing and perhaps toying around with simple wood reliefs/carvings.

For software, the free stuff that I have found will work fine for me for now BUT -
If I get hooked and wanted to step it up a bit - what would be a decent non-subscription 3D CAM program - Vcarve PRO, Carbide PRO, MeshCAM. etc....
View Quote

Vectric's VCarve programs rock.  For that size machine, you wouldn't really need the Pro version and could go with the Desktop version for a lot less $.

ETA:  They have a trial version you can download and cut some sample projects with.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By midmo:

Vectric's VCarve programs rock.  For that size machine, you wouldn't really need the Pro version and could go with the Desktop version for a lot less $.

ETA:  They have a trial version you can download and cut some sample projects with.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By midmo:

Thanks.
Actually - the VCarve Desktop is what I was leaning towards if I decide to pursue that avenue.

I did end up ordering the Genmitsu 4040-PRO cnc machine - it fit my budget for an entry level cnc, small enough to fit my workspace yet can do 15.7"x15.7" work (but can be expanded with an extension kit), has upgradable options including a mounting clamp for a trim router, and the optional 4th rotary axis.

It's out for delivery now - hopefully I can get it up and running tomorrow (if it doesn't work out, then Amazon can have it back....).
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Thanks.
Actually - the VCarve Desktop is what I was leaning towards if I decide to pursue that avenue.

I did end up ordering the Genmitsu 4040-PRO cnc machine - it fit my budget for an entry level cnc, small enough to fit my workspace yet can do 15.7"x15.7" work (but can be expanded with an extension kit), has upgradable options including a mounting clamp for a trim router, and the optional 4th rotary axis.

It's out for delivery now - hopefully I can get it up and running tomorrow (if it doesn't work out, then Amazon can have it back....).
View Quote
Please keep us posted.
I'd like to see your thoughts on setup (time and ease)
Designing your own project to cut and getting the machine to cut it.
How well it does.

Pics of a few of your projects too.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Please keep us posted.
How well it does.

View All Quotes

Thanks.

Please keep us posted.
How well it does.

@smullen

Well -
I ended up replacing the stock spindle that came with it as it was just too underpowered.
I replaced it with a 6.5amp variable speed router (Bauer from Harbor Freight) and that works great now.
I also bought the Vectric Vcarve Desktop program, that's gonna take some time getting up to speed on.

I did design a couple of charcuterie trays that my sister wanted, and they turned out nice.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

So far, for what I've been using it for the unit works great (after upgrading the spindle).

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#25]
tagging for interest.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:14:11 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Check out Open Builds - they have some kits as wells as part so maybe possible to spread out the cost

https://openbuildspartstore.com/machine-Kits/

I built one of their early CNC designs when the went by another name.   It was designed to make parts for hobby stuff mostly - like RC airplanes.   But it handled lt ply and Masonite tempered hardboard for templates no problems - very nice accuracy despite not being made of extruded aluminum .
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:15:48 AM EDT
[#27]

I did design a couple of charcuterie trays that my sister wanted, and they turned out nice.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20962/CharcuterieTrays_jpg-3188853.JPG

View Quote

I have a neighbor that did similar here recently.

He spent a metric shit ton of hours to set up his machine / stock and do a program so he could crank out a whopping 20 pieces. (10 of which are still sitting in his shop)

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:20:09 AM EDT
[#28]
@smullen

Well -
I ended up replacing the stock spindle that came with it as it was just too underpowered.
I replaced it with a 6.5amp variable speed router (Bauer from Harbor Freight) and that works great now.
I also bought the Vectric Vcarve Desktop program, that's gonna take some time getting up to speed on.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20962/CharcuterieTrays_jpg-3188853.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20962/CharcuterieTray_jpg-3188863.JPG

So far, for what I've been using it for the unit works great (after upgrading the spindle).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-5rxbEDZM4

View Quote
@ AZ_Sky

Thats pretty slick!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top