BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/23/2024 9:58:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TCH2FIX]
I figure it’s going to cost me $1500

So far I’ve spent just over $600

The trailer is a Northern Tool that I bought used for $380 and modified.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:02:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TCH2FIX] [#1]
I plan on Boondocking my way up the Alcan. I am planning 9 days to get to anchorage, 9 days there, and 9 days back.

I got the plans Here

I’ll put a 3/4 full short mattress in it, and will take a small blackstone with me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:14:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Teardrops are by far the best way to camp if your group fits in one.

Here's one I drug for ~20k+ miles all over the western US for a few years. The only reason we sold it is because we got a big ass dog that sleeps with stiff legs. 2 people and 80lb stiff-leg dog don't fit well in a small camper .

Looks like you are well on the way already. Are you planning aluminum skin or something else like fiberglass? Foam insulation for the top?

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:25:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice.

Hope you planned for bigger tires.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:08:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like a great project and trip, only problem I see is the axels from NT, Chinese junk. Swap out that axel or at LEAST swap out the bearings for some American bearings like Timkin. I would build it for the tallest tire and wheels you can possable fit. The smaller they are, the faster they turn and fail.
I would also have a spare tire and wheel and a hub with you. I have driven the Alcan and it is a long way between stops.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:14:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wookie1562:

Here's one I drug for ~20k+ miles all over the western US for a few years. The only reason we sold it is because we got a big ass dog that sleeps with stiff legs. 2 people and 80lb stiff-leg dog don't fit well in a small camper .

Looks like you are well on the way already. Are you planning aluminum skin or something else like fiberglass? Foam insulation for the top?

https://i.imgur.com/093g9AM.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/CXtoDN9.png

View Quote

Yes.  I’m going to go with foam insulation under diamond plate on the roof.  I haven’t decided between aluminum sheet siding or some kind of fiberglass.   The aluminum will be lighter.  I’m leaning that way.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:15:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
Nice.

Hope you planned for bigger tires.
View Quote

Yes!   I’m going to change the axle to the 3500lb version with 5 lug 15” wheels and put a 8 or 10 ply tire on
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:17:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By deerranger:
Sounds like a great project and trip, only problem I see is the axels from NT, Chinese junk. Swap out that axel or at LEAST swap out the bearings for some American bearings like Timkin. I would build it for the tallest tire and wheels you can possable fit. The smaller they are, the faster they turn and fail.
I would also have a spare tire and wheel and a hub with you. I have driven the Alcan and it is a long way between stops.
View Quote

A spare wheel/tire is in the plan but a hub with bearings is an excellent idea!   Thanks
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:21:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TCH2FIX:

Yes.  I'm going to go with foam insulation under diamond plate on the roof.  I haven't decided between aluminum sheet siding or some kind of fiberglass.   The aluminum will be lighter.  I'm leaning that way.  
View Quote

There's also fiber reinforced plastic panels. Could easily do a combination. My trailer was a factory build; FRP on the side panels with aluminum sheet on the roof. Sealed up with simple trim and caulk.

We never had a structural leak. The OEM windows/doors did leak in heavy Big Sur rain which wasn't awesome because it goes right into bed. You don't want any leaks. I've also read about "poor-man's fiberglass" that is canvas wrapped over the surface and coated in waterproof wood glue, or something like that. Recommend further research if that's an option.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:35:20 AM EDT
[#9]

A spare wheel/tire is in the plan but a hub with bearings is an excellent idea!   Thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By deerranger:

Don't forget grease and tools.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 6:33:22 PM EDT
[#10]

There's also fiber reinforced plastic panels. Could easily do a combination. My trailer was a factory build; FRP on the side panels with aluminum sheet on the roof. Sealed up with simple trim and caulk.

We never had a structural leak. The OEM windows/doors did leak in heavy Big Sur rain which wasn't awesome because it goes right into bed. You don't want any leaks. I've also read about "poor-man's fiberglass" that is canvas wrapped over the surface and coated in waterproof wood glue, or something like that. Recommend further research if that's an option.
View Quote

That’s a good idea!  I just looked into it.  Very reasonable.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:42:01 PM EDT
[#11]
So that trailer is trash. You are gonna have problems with that axle and tires. That trailer is made for super light duty use. With the weight you are adding, it ain’t gonna hold up
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:31:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: die-tryin] [#12]
BTDT,,shame photohucket went to shit.

I built an oversize tear drop long time ago,,had a trailer company built me a frame to my specs. All boxed steel.

Mine was for on/off road , I used an articulating hitch system,,  called Lock n Roll.

Need to move axle up a foot or 2,,gonna put crazy load on tongue and probably gonna fold up on ya.

When installing the door ,,hinge goes toward the front.

Are u doing roof vent ?

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:17:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes.  I’m going to do a roof vent.  As I’ve been assembling it the tongue load has increased a bunch.  I was thinking about moving the axle back up some.  It will make the fenders that I plan to use fit better.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 10:49:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I too have driven the ALCAN. I am also skeptical of the actual trailer. I would do a lot of upgrades to it before putting a lot of trust in it making the journey. Granted, I took an 80s FWD turbo car there and back again, so I guess anything can technically make it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:56:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Yes!   I’m going to change the axle to the 3500lb version with 5 lug 15” wheels and put a 8 or 10 ply tire on
View Quote

glad to read that. it was my first thought when i looked at the trailer picture. also check out "bearing buddy". i don't use them because i never trailer far. but if i were, i would get them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 5:38:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Tag...
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#17]
In... sprinting towards retirement and would like to outfit something with DIY. I have the tools and skills.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:12:12 AM EDT
[#18]
So I reinforced the center of the trailer with additional c channel.  Moved the axle forward a bit and wired up a 7 pin with allowances for a tongue battery and accessories.   I’ll be putting the roof on this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 5:16:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Those connectors will give you trouble.

Every time I have used them I ended up taking them out and using different ones.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 5:24:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wookie1562] [#21]
I have done some pretty major projects with these:

https://www.posi-products.com/posilock.html

They also make a posi-tap that's very handy.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:29:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
Those connectors will give you trouble.

Every time I have used them I ended up taking them out and using different ones.
View Quote

This. Not much contact surface area and a tiny bit of corrosion kills the connection.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:43:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks, I’ll look into them before I put the outer skin on.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:35:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Solder and good heat shrink tube for ALL electrical connections.

If you can't see glue oozing out of the tube when sealed, it is garbage.

The last thing you want to do is cut into your walls to make repairs in wiring.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:27:50 AM EDT
[#25]
So I reinforced the center of the trailer with additional c channel.  Moved the axle forward a bit and wired up a 7 pin with allowances for a tongue battery and accessories.   I’ll be putting the roof on this weekend.
View Quote

Glad to see you moved the axle forward, it was way far back. And reinforcing the trailer is wise. I’m following along
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#26]
OP, I have made that trip a couple of times.  The road is rough and is going to beat the shit out of that trailer.  I hope you build the camper in a way that allows it to bend and flex cause it is going to do a lot of bending and flexing.

Absolutely take an extra hub, bearings, upgrade to bigger tires and go 10 ply.  Read the laws for Canada to see what is allowed/not allowed as far as bear deterrent cause there are bears everywhere.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 6:20:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks everyone.   I’ll work on the wiring.  I got the last of the framing done today.  I’ll put the roof on once the roof vent is cut in the ceiling.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#29]
How are your plywood bulkheads attached to the sides?
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Are the cabinets in the galley intended for storage or somethign else like plumbing/electrical utilities? If they're for storage you might like to put access on the inside as well. That way you can get snacks from both sides
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 9:24:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By paul463:
How are your plywood bulkheads attached to the sides?
View Quote

Decking screws and steel “L” brackets with 1” screws

Decking screws also hold them to the 2x4’s too
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 9:26:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Are the cabinets in the galley intended for storage or somethign else like plumbing/electrical utilities? If they're for storage you might like to put access on the inside as well. That way you can get snacks from both sides
View Quote

On the cabin side there will be other cabinets for clothes.   I’m going for a no-pass through design.  I don’t want to deal with bugs or other creepy-crawlies.  This is for the benefit of my wife.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 3:45:52 PM EDT
[#33]
I've done a ton of research and will be building one once the kids have gone.  Good luck OP.  I'll be following this thread.  

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 3:55:26 PM EDT
[#34]

https://i.imgur.com/093g9AM.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/CXtoDN9.png

View Quote

Nice.  Even got 1UPs front and rear.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:06:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By FlashHole:
I've done a ton of research and will be building one once the kids have gone.  Good luck OP.  I'll be following this thread.  

View Quote

Thanks!   You too!
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:24:14 AM EDT
[#36]
I installed the door and finished up the framing.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:18:43 AM EDT
[#37]
I have to ask, why is the door on the left side?

Normally they are on the right.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:44:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By fredshort:
I have to ask, why is the door on the left side?

Normally they are on the right.
View Quote

Get both.  I did.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:03:54 PM EDT
[#39]
What is the footprint in sleeping area?
4' x 8'?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:09:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By outdoorgb:
What is the footprint in sleeping area?
4' x 8'?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:09:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By paul463:

Get both.  I did.  
View Quote

That’s what I’m doing.   It will have doors on both sides when I’m done
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:10:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Attachment Attached File

I started mocking up the roof today
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:07:18 PM EDT
[#43]
It’s insulated and the roof is on.  Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:50:19 PM EDT
[#44]
I too have grave concerns over the wiring. Please spend even one hour looking at the following site. You don't need DR-25 heat shrink loom and Deutsch connectors, but it is what I would do for any system that can't fail. I use that and tefzel/mil-spec wire in my automotive projects. Still waiting on a failure...

https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/wiring_ecu.html
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#45]
I got the tail end on yesterday.  I’ll build the hatch todayAttachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Nice progress. Waiting to see the how the joints are closed and sealed... The bain of any RV.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 8:59:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Me too!  

I’m looking for trim options now.  

Here’s the completed hatch:

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 6:31:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TCH2FIX] [#48]
I welded in the new tongue and the front basket  and put the rear lights inAttachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Me too!  

I'm looking for trim options now.  

Here's the completed hatch:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/463698/IMG_3657_jpeg-3154818.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/463698/IMG_3656_jpeg-3154819.JPG
View Quote

My teardrop had corner trim kinda like this (I do not know if this is a reliable link or not)

It's a channel that forms to the contour and gets a vinyl insert to cover the screw holes.
https://babsrvmarine.com/product/92-white-aluminum-vinyl-insert-type-corner-molding-rv-trailer-5-8-leg-x-1-1-4/

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:23:30 PM EDT
[#50]

My teardrop had corner trim kinda like this (I do not know if this is a reliable link or not)

It's a channel that forms to the contour and gets a vinyl insert to cover the screw holes.
https://babsrvmarine.com/product/92-white-aluminum-vinyl-insert-type-corner-molding-rv-trailer-5-8-leg-x-1-1-4/

https://babsrvmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/My-project-1-67.png
View Quote

Vintage technologies also has trim, windows and other such parts.
https://www.teardroptrailerparts.com/aluminum-trim.html
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top