Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2024 10:22:52 AM EDT
Portable magnetic drill press. I use them all the time at work but want one for home use. The problem is, I can't really justify the $1000 price tag for a new Hougen or Milwaukee right now. However, I see the Vevor brand on Amazon for $200 or less. Has anybody here had experience with these cheap knockoffs?
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 10:48:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Look up the Kelly's Country Life on YouTube.  He welds amd has the mag drill from Vevor and likes it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:12:54 AM EDT
[#2]
If a Vevor is what you can afford/justify then go for it. It's a good way to dip a toe in and find out if you're really going to use a particular tool enough to justify buying a quality one.

It's really easy to tell - if you use the Vevor enough to wear it out or get pissed off at the shortfalls then you'll know it's time to get a quality brand.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:58:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Does the Vevor use a standard Jacobs style chuck, or is it set up for annular cutters?
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jason280:
Does the Vevor use a standard Jacobs style chuck, or is it set up for annular cutters?
View Quote

The one I've messed with had the usual hollow spindle for annular cutters and included an adapter and keyed chuck for using the chuck with twist drills.

I bet there are a bunch of models and setups available. They tend to have a large variety for any given tool.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 1:25:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Any update on the Vevor?

I was curious. It would be something handy I'd probably use twice a year myself.

I just bought an SDS drill from HF with a 2 year warranty. I have some portable buildings and an 80kw generator that need simple weather anchors. I'm going to get my guys to do it on a slow day. If they burn it up, back to the store it goes for a new one.  But again, it's one of those tools we are only going to use every once in a while.

We already put a $40 black and decker circular saw through it's death throws cutting a few concrete sidewalks.

I rented a big gas powered wet saw for some heavier stuff, but that was $200 for a few hours work plus me running back and forth to the store. It was cheaper to almost destroy a cheaper tool to get it done.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:32:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought the Vevor. I have a stair project for the house that will require drilling roughly 350 holes in the stair treads and angle iron clips. The drill press will make this go faster and easier. I have only tested the drill press to make sure it works so far but I did buy the 3 year extended warranty for peace of mind. The way I figure it, it if I get the stair project done the purchase of the mag drill will be worth the time it saves me. I'll try to remember to update when I get it done, but it may be a few weeks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top