Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2024 1:10:22 PM EDT
I have a DJI Mini 3 that I have kitted out but get a bit bored with that and have not flown it in some time.
So, I enjoy ground stuff more.

here are the must haves:

Run a 10 Samsung tablet as a screen as I dont really want to go the goggle route.....yet.
I like to be able to see if I am about to get smashed in the head by bad guys.

7 or more channel radio. I may want to add lights or some other type of deployable option. Like flares or bottle rockets.

I would prefer a kit, but open to ready to roll.

not sure on the range, but "thats far enough" said no one, ever.

4wd

suspension options to help mitigate the camera jarring around.

Discuss

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:12:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I started watching the FPV documentary "Flowstate" on YouTube last night. I'm only about 10 minutes in but, it was interesting to learn that the early guys hacked together baby monitor cameras on winged planes and used ski goggles to hold the monitor.

FlowState: The FPV Drone Documentary (Full Film Official Release)

I say go for it. Maybe they will make a documentary about you one day.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:09:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:54:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I built a short course truck a few years ago with FPV, but the tech was just not as good as I wanted.

It was fun running it on an actual race track. It was neat coming in 3rd to some of the faster guys and lots of folks had fun driving it.

However, the max distance I could get was about 80 yards before the video went to shit.

Now that there are better options, it is time to try it again.

I am kind of leaning towards a rock crawler/racer, just not sure on who. I hear Axial is no longer a good value for the cost.

I think the deciding factor is going to be one that can be modded for the added electronics (space).

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:57:28 PM EDT
[#4]
There was a nice video in RCGROUPS a few years ago of a RC crawler truck park in TN maybe.   Really nice course with a creek, rocks and little hills to climb and they were running the 1/10 trucks all in FPV
But it was a number of years ago and it’s probably deep in their archives.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Some of the actual FPV pilots could chime in here but, couldn't you just hook up an O3 air unit to a RC Truck and use goggles to drive it? It would need a power source of course but, you wouldn't need to see a controller because you would drive by seeing and feeling just like you do in a normal vehicle.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:40:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TotalUnRecall:

That's what I was saying but he doesn't want goggles. That's the best way to go about this.
View Quote

Oh, the goggles are the only way to go for this application IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:32:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TruckinAR:
I built a short course truck a few years ago with FPV, but the tech was just not as good as I wanted.

It was fun running it on an actual race track. It was neat coming in 3rd to some of the faster guys and lots of folks had fun driving it.

However, the max distance I could get was about 80 yards before the video went to shit.

Now that there are better options, it is time to try it again.

I am kind of leaning towards a rock crawler/racer, just not sure on who. I hear Axial is no longer a good value for the cost.

I think the deciding factor is going to be one that can be modded for the added electronics (space).

View Quote

Axial was always overpriced with crap quality.  They just didnt have any real competition until Traxxas jumped into the game back in ~2017 so we just had to buy Axial and upgrade them heavily.  A Traxxas TRX-4 could be a good choice for what you're describing.  The versions with a 2 speed transmission will allow you some wheel speed and also crawl.  There is a huge aftermarket for them.  Traxxas is smart and they offer tons of their own upgrades as well so lights, etc are available from them.  I mostly own Vanquish Products trucks currently.   Performance is a bit better with them but aftermarket support is not there.  There is some Axial compatability and generic crawler parts, but certain parts are only available from Vanquish and they are expensive.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:39:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gearsmithy] [#9]
I would think you're going to need some serious image stabilization. We used to put go-pros on our track bikes before they had IS and you couldn't watch 2 minutes of footage before needing a barf bag.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Col_Sanders:

Axial was always overpriced with crap quality.  They just didnt have any real competition until Traxxas jumped into the game back in ~2017 so we just had to buy Axial and upgrade them heavily.  A Traxxas TRX-4 could be a good choice for what you're describing.  The versions with a 2 speed transmission will allow you some wheel speed and also crawl.  There is a huge aftermarket for them.  Traxxas is smart and they offer tons of their own upgrades as well so lights, etc are available from them.  I mostly own Vanquish Products trucks currently.   Performance is a bit better with them but aftermarket support is not there.  There is some Axial compatability and generic crawler parts, but certain parts are only available from Vanquish and they are expensive.
View Quote

I am not too thrilled with Traxxas and never have been. Maybe it was because I raced buggies and well, Traxxas pretty bad rep in the racing community.
Some sort of lawsuits garbage against other RC mfg. and they all seemed petty and unwarranted.

Sucks, because they are a TX based company.

So, I am eliminating them out of the options.

I am kind of leaning towards RC4WD as they have some very cool products at a similar price point.

I am also pretty sure I am going to end up with the Walksnail HD kit as it is easily works with an Android tablet for output (display).
I *may* end up with a set of goggles, but not now or for the next few months.

Also, if anyone has not seen the Radiomaster radios, you should.
some pretty dang good stuff. Not to mention they are getting the best long range out of all the surface radios.

Now I gotta sell off the Mini 3 setup I have to fund this next stupid idea....
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:22:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TotalUnRecall] [#11]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:47:01 PM EDT
[#12]

1) If you use the tablet what are you using to actually receive the signal with? Everything I've seen needs the googles to receive and then outputs that to a phone or tablet. I fly with guys who run Walksnail. You can get a stand alone vrx but then if you're spending that money, might as well get goggles.

2) Hold my beer. Radiomaster is ELRS, which is open source. So if you don't mind figuring it out, then go for it. But it's not as simple as turn it on, hit a button, and go.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/262514/IMG_3840-3197840.jpg
View Quote

Everything I need, in one pic

And that is EXACTLY why I am going to go with the Radiomaster.

I may end up adding a gimbal, and may want to use a module option to move that.
I may add a bit of gadgets, like bottle rockets and flares
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#13]
okay, a second pic

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:52:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I will need to figure a cooling fan for the VTX along with a mounting system.

The big ticket items I want to get correct right out of the gate. Aint buying shit twice.

May take me two or three month to get this thing sorted.... maybe by winter I will get some goggles.
However, since I am out in the boonies most of the time, I don't want 2 or 4 legged predators sneaking up on me.

I will chase the 4 legged critters around if I can... other than this lil gal

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:33:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd really seriously get goggles. Even if you don't take my trade.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:59:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slappomatt] [#16]
I have many FPV drones and fixed wing. I even put FPV on one of my daughters RC trucks but I'd love to do it to a scale crawler and my newer digital FPV on it. It would require some kind of cooling system as while analog FPV gear ran hot digital stuff runs stupid hot and will overheat on the ground in seconds.

ETA I have the same walksnail setup you have. yes, cooling will be your biggest issue. a high speed fan would probably hang.

ETA 2 look at the radiomaster MT12 for the radio. edgeTX is insane and while the learning curve is quite steep if you want to be able to fully and I mean FULLY control the radio and do literally anything edgetx based radio is what you want and the MT12 is new and the only pistol grip edgetx radio on the market. edgetx air radios have been around for years and there are how to videos for pretty much everything on youtube so you have that going for you. the radio and RX are cheap. and it uses express LRS which also has a steep learning curve and is also silly powerful. it has class leading low latency while also having class leading ( and I mean by a LOT) range. which for FPV you will need.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:24:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TotalUnRecall] [#17]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:42:08 AM EDT
[#18]

I went from CRSF to ELRS. Love it. He still won't get the same range on the surface though. RF is RF and running on the ground messes with the ground plane. On my surface radio I ended up adding a 4 watt booster since 150mph comes and goes real fast. I also added longer antennas on the cars to get away from everything. I've gone over a mile (my LEO buddy was following it and talking to me on a radio). I still had signal but the latency at that range was horrendous. I don't use my cars enough anymore to make the switch so I'm just sticking with my NB4.

That being said, OP, RadioMaster is awesome. Their customer service is great. I run a Boxer for my quads and I love the fact that I can buy every single part separately if something breaks.

ETA: Also look into head tracking. That's pretty cool stuff if you decide to go with goggles.

ETA2: The EdgeTX and ELRS devs also did a pretty decent job at making things hard to brick. I had a corrupt SD card on my Boxer after a week. Just make sure you always save a backup. I bought a new card, put the backup on it, and I was good to go again.
View Quote
Diehard CRSF fan. I still run it on almost all my quads. it just works. never failsafe's. I only begrudgingly went ELRS because its in every new radio now. ELRS is great but its insanely over complicated for what most people need. but it does have some really cool features. I just dont know if the juice is worth the extra work.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:51:20 PM EDT
[#20]
This is a bad idea..... The rabbit holes and now I miss the racing parts.....
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:26:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:32:57 PM EDT
[#22]

I am not too thrilled with Traxxas and never have been. Maybe it was because I raced buggies and well, Traxxas pretty bad rep in the racing community.
Some sort of lawsuits garbage against other RC mfg. and they all seemed petty and unwarranted.

I am kind of leaning towards RC4WD as they have some very cool products at a similar price point.

View Quote

Traxxas lawsuits have soured me on them as well.  Much of their lineup is overcomplicated and there is some poorly engineered trash (I dont get the love for the Slash for example), but the TRX-4 is an exception.  Not the best from a performance perspective but they are well built and fun to drive.  

I've been into crawling for a long time....I like RC4WD trucks.  I've owned 3 Trail Finder 2s and I'm considering buying the new K10, but I would not recommend them for the average person.  They are not the most durable thing out there and performance is lacking.  They're kinda overpriced and they are assembled poorly.  If you buy one, its pretty much a requirement to take it apart and grease it as well as add loctite to the hardware, otherwise its going to fall apart in short order.  Since Traxxas is out, I'd go Vanquish, Axial, or Element.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:10:56 PM EDT
[#23]

At this point, I am probably going to go with an 8th scale Tekno 4wd race buggy....if I can find one is stock. Not huge deal as I am going to sell my Mini 3 Pro package and that may take a while.
I figure I can give someone a really good deal on the mini enough to cover the car kit.
I do enjoy the builds, so.

I may race it too, that is one reason why.

I can route my travels from track to track and range to range (shootin'), keep me from being a hermit all the time

Traxxas lawsuits have soured me on them as well.  Much of their lineup is overcomplicated and there is some poorly engineered trash (I dont get the love for the Slash for example), but the TRX-4 is an exception.  Not the best from a performance perspective but they are well built and fun to drive.  

I've been into crawling for a long time....I like RC4WD trucks.  I've owned 3 Trail Finder 2s and I'm considering buying the new K10, but I would not recommend them for the average person.  They are not the most durable thing out there and performance is lacking.  They're kinda overpriced and they are assembled poorly.  If you buy one, its pretty much a requirement to take it apart and grease it as well as add loctite to the hardware, otherwise its going to fall apart in short order.  Since Traxxas is out, I'd go Vanquish, Axial, or Element.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

At this point, I am probably going to go with an 8th scale Tekno 4wd race buggy....if I can find one is stock. Not huge deal as I am going to sell my Mini 3 Pro package and that may take a while.
I figure I can give someone a really good deal on the mini enough to cover the car kit.
I do enjoy the builds, so.

I may race it too, that is one reason why.

I can route my travels from track to track and range to range (shootin'), keep me from being a hermit all the time

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top