Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2024 9:07:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveM4P99]
Just messing around with the kids...but maybe I'll see if I can tough it out tonight in this 1942 WWII Jungle Hammock and a WWII wool sleeping bag. High 40s all night should be doable.

It's a pretty comfy hammock though. Zippered mosquito net and waterproof canopy. The canopy is pretty wrinkled but not torn at all.

The ropes and fittings are all perfect, and tough as nails. This thing isn't exactly light weight, but built like a tank. For a hammock.

I do wonder if the covered hole/gap in the zipper is for smoking a cigarette or taking off / putting on boots while entering and exiting?

Not taken today, but some war guns...

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:10:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a jungle hammock when I was 15 years old. Most miserable nights sleep in my now near 80 years.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#3]
My best friend and I got jungle hammocks from the surplus store in high school. We kept them in our trucks and would use them most weekends while camping. I loved mine. I would bring another 10x10 tarp and string it up between the hammocks if rain was expected. Good times.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:16:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Old_Retired_Cop:
I had a jungle hammock when I was 15 years old. Most miserable nights sleep in my now near 80 years.
View Quote

Seems just as comfortable as any other modern camping hammock. Just heavier. Much heavier.

You don't think hammock sleeping is better than sleeping on the ground? As long as you insulate underneath you, it's comfortable and warm.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Neat thread.  Cool guns.

Dibs on guns when you get eaten by manbearpig 'squatch.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:18:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By DaveM4P99:

Seems just as comfortable as any other modern camping hammock. Just heavier. Much heavier.

You don't think hammock sleeping is better than sleeping on the ground? As long as you insulate underneath you, it's comfortable and warm.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DaveM4P99:
Originally Posted By Old_Retired_Cop:

Agreed.  When I was young, I did a ton of backpacking with only a hammock and a tarp.  No tents.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:21:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I learned the proper use of a hammock when I was in Panama. I would have paid bigly for some of the lightweight stuff on the market now.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:25:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Southernman077:
My best friend and I got jungle hammocks from the surplus store in high school. We kept them in our trucks and would use them most weekends while camping. I loved mine. I would bring another 10x10 tarp and string it up between the hammocks if rain was expected. Good times.
View Quote

So on this WWII hammock, when you zipper the net shut, there is a small covered opening that is left, right where the instructions diagram tag is.

It seems like it was meant so you could hang your hand out and smoke a cigarette?

Or maybe it was so you could sit in it, zipper it mostly shut, take off your boots and pick your legs back up and through the opening? And vice versa when putting your boots back on?

Cigarette thing seems more likely though?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:26:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GDaawg] [#9]
Dig a couple foxholes for fun and a 7 x 6 x 20 trench. Line the trench horizontally with manequeins and sprinkle them with lye powder. This will add to wartime ambience.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:33:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Be sure to dress appropriately:

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By GDaawg:
Dig a couple foxholes for fun and a 7 x 6 x 20 trench. Line the trench horizontally with manequeins and sprinkle them with lye powder. This will add to wartime ambience.
View Quote

I've got a garden trowel that should be up to the challenge.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:40:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Now I’m going to have to take out the jungle hammock I have. Actually a family heirloom used in the Philippines.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:54:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:36:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks good, …. except lose those janky M1 carbines and add four more M1 Garands and a case of M2 ball ammo for each.

You can thank me later.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:39:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Nick_Adams:
Looks good, …. except lose those janky M1 carbines and add four more M1 Garands and a case of M2 ball ammo for each.

You can thank me later.
View Quote

Meh...the Carbine is pretty perfect for jungle warfare.

The Garand...sure maybe better for the long range European battlefields shooting 600yds between hedgerows.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:41:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Tuco22:
https://imgur.com/RLzxBSw.gif
View Quote

hardly, OP didn't have any field rations whatsoever

here's some Ks to save the thread

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:13:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Hennessy Hammocks.  You can thank me later.

He built his based on using a WWII USGI hammock and dealing with all the shortcoming's of it:  lighter weight, more space, stronger, better airflow, more comfort (secret is the ridge line from end to end to prevent the sag, +curved back and provide the same 'fit' each time regardless of how far apart the trees are), and when you lie in a hammock, you want to lay down asymmetrically so you can lie flat.

I own 4 of their hammocks are we use them often when we backpack and camp.  They are a really good 'entry level' hammock for those who want to get started, and they retain their value really well on the secondary market.

https://hennessyhammock.com/collections/hammocks
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:30:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TexRdnec:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/30587/DB1A1A9A-52BC-4757-BF98-FD4932CD1099-2188976.jpg
View Quote

Awesomeness. The only thing missing are the "prophylactics"
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:20:02 AM EDT
[#19]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/30587/DB1A1A9A-52BC-4757-BF98-FD4932CD1099-2188976.jpg
View Quote

fair
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:43:28 PM EDT
[#20]

fair
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

fair

I'd probably still try some of those.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top