Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/25/2024 10:40:41 PM EDT
About two weeks ago allergies hit me.

Happens every now and then.

It’s been two weeks and I have to hit the nose spray every few hours or I am 100% plugged.  

Any tips on how to ween off this before it’s too late?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:44:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Been there (30  years ago)

Cold turkey.  It's gonna suck for a bit
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:45:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I got myself into a serious Afrin addiction in the eighties; couldn’t be without it. Same deal, if I stopped using it, nose was closed.

Cold turkey.

Sucks, but in a few weeks you’ll normalize.

I avoid the stuff like the plague now, haven’t touched it in twenty + years.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:46:51 PM EDT
[#3]
gonna suck, but better sooner than later

I won't touch Afrin
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:47:10 PM EDT
[#4]
No more than 3 days on afrin.

Switch to saline or Flonase for a while

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:47:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Afrin addiction takes center stage on Saturday Night Live! #afrin #snl #natebargatze
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:47:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Same problem.  If you are using Afrin, it is very effective for me, long term use can cause nasal swelling when you stop using it, like you still have allergies.  My Dr suggested using it in only one nostril at a time until the other nostril stops plugging due to allergies.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:48:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I was using it weeks on end 3-4 times a day. Instant relief from sinus pressure and stuffiness.

I went in for my normal checkup and my BP was up quite a bit. Told the doc that I was using it and he told me how bad that stuff is for your sinuses, and it raises your blood pressure.  He had seen a number of people totally addicted to the stuff. He told me to open and rinse it out before throwing it away because he knew most people would dig through the garbage to get it back.

I stopped cold turkey.  He recommended Flonase, and it worked pretty well.  Not instant relief but not habit forming or make your sinuses hyper sensitive.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:48:48 PM EDT
[#8]
It's not that hard.

Just stop spraying one side until you recover in about two weeks, three at the most.

Then stop spraying the other side.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:48:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:50:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Honestly...

You disgust me. Spraying shit up my nose is a no go...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:51:56 PM EDT
[#11]
My wife says Nasocort or Flonase.
Generics are abundant.

She dealt with this for a long time. Doctor scolded her and gave her instruction.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:52:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MTNShewter] [#12]
I like this stuff called x-clear if I’m plugged up.  It’s got xylitol in it which helps break up bacteria or something.  I dunno but it seems more natural / herbal than the other otc stuff.  Oh and the “rescue” x-clear has some high strength herb in it that’ll wake you TF up.  Makes you drain like you had some hot food.

Shit works, doesn’t seem to create a dependency, and available at Walgreens.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:52:37 PM EDT
[#13]
My mom was addicted to afrin.  She (WASPy lib) thought her addiction was bad enough to go to NA.  
“Hi.  I’m Hillary, I’m an addict.  It’s been 4 hours since I used nasal spray.”

She was asked to not return.  I laughed and imagined the scene from half baked
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:54:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MDI] [#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lumpy223:
Every 4 four hours or so for me. I haven't slept a full night in about 3 years or so.
View Quote

Shit.  I have to get up at least once and hit it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:54:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Happened to my buddy, lost his house, cars, wife.  Sold his guns to fund the habit, last I saw he was giving $3 handjobs behind Walgreens.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:55:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By bologna:
Happened to my buddy, lost his house, cars, wife.  Sold his guns to fund the habit, last I saw he was giving $3 handjobs behind Walgreens.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:56:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By doc540:
It's not that hard.

Just stop spraying one side until you recover in about two weeks, three at the most.

Then stop spraying the other side.
View Quote
Only fucking up one side of your nose at time is the big solution?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:57:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Switch to a saline nasal rinse in the morning and evening. See how it works for you.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:58:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By MDI:

It's been two weeks and I have to hit the nose spray every few hours or I am 100% plugged.  

Any tips on how to ween off this before it's too late?
View Quote
I refuse to use afrin and other nose sprays for what they do.

I use this.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IPKC622?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:58:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Cold turkey.  3 days of suck and you'll be free of the Afrin shackles.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:00:55 PM EDT
[#21]
They sell it at dollar tree for $1.25. Just keep using it. Use the green box, it’s better and lasts longer than their red box version.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:02:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Try xylitol nasal spray.  Opens sinuses pretty good with zero addiction.

May help ween off afrin.  Thats a suckfest.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:04:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Afrin better than Flonase?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:05:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Lawmonkey:
Been there (30  years ago)

Cold turkey.  It's gonna suck for a bit
View Quote

This unfortunately.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:07:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By PR361:
I got myself into a serious Afrin addiction in the eighties; couldn't be without it. Same deal, if I stopped using it, nose was closed.

Cold turkey.

Sucks, but in a few weeks you'll normalize.

I avoid the stuff like the plague now, haven't touched it in twenty + years.
View Quote
Same experience. Lost a good bit of my sense of smell as a result. Get some 12 hour Sudafed, take that and use nasal spray in only one nostril until the other opens up. Then quit.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:10:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duke117] [#26]
Flonase.. OTC( used to be prescription) and actually works.
1/day.. full effect in about 2 days.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:13:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Netti pot!  Flush with saline solution.  There is something with eucalyptus and menthol you can add.  It works!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:15:35 PM EDT
[#28]
I've been using allegra and a nose spray specifically for allergies. It's been working pretty well this season.

Regular nose spray is horrible. Yeah it clears you up but when stopping it you get hit worse than if you never took it at all. I used it for 4 days earlier this year when I was sick.... never again. The headache and ensuing congestion was the worst.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:17:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xd675] [#29]

It’s been two weeks and I have to hit the nose spray every few hours or I am 100% plugged.  

View Quote

I've moved away from these types of products particularly when I'm sick.  It seems it just traps more of the gunk in prolonging the illness.

@MDI

Have you tried a natural remedies?

One thing that worked for me was getting locally collected honey and taking a tablespoon daily.  You body, well at least mine did, seems to adjust and reduces/eliminates the reaction.

Goldenrod infused honey is another one that works for me.  I like to use the local honey in the infusion to get more of a spectrum of the stuff that plagues me.

There is a pile of this stuff out there that is much better for you than the synthetics big pharma is pushing on everyone.

ETA:

Try a netti pot to both flush out the stuff causing your allergies and to get your nose back to normal ASAP.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:18:04 PM EDT
[#30]
My FIL was addicted to Afrin and vicodin.  He hunted into his 80s.  Great guy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:18:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By CS223:
Same experience. Lost a good bit of my sense of smell as a result. Get some 12 hour Sudafed, take that and use nasal spray in only one nostril until the other opens up. Then quit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CS223:
Originally Posted By PR361:
I got myself into a serious Afrin addiction in the eighties; couldn't be without it. Same deal, if I stopped using it, nose was closed.

Cold turkey.

Sucks, but in a few weeks you'll normalize.

I avoid the stuff like the plague now, haven't touched it in twenty + years.

12 hour Sudafed is great, makes me a machine at work, but it makes my heart hurt. This is after 1-2 days of taking it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:22:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Shit.  I have to get up at least once and hit it.
View Quote
It's never going to get better if you still use Afrin. Best and hardest advice? Go cold turkey. Consider switching over to Flonase or another nasal steroid. They may blunt the effects a bit. But it's still gonna suck for a week or so. If it's really bad, go see a doctor. I've sometimes prescribed a burst of oral steroids for the first few days. Helps, but not completely.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:22:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Don't start popping 6-8 excedrin a day & you'll be fine...
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:30:44 PM EDT
[#34]
my uncle took afrin instead of a real antihistamine for years. It eventually closed up his nasal passages so much he had to have a gnarly nasal surgery. DONT USE AFRIN. use flonase if anything. It has afrin in it but also has a steroid to counteract the afrin il effects.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:34:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By nolan7120:
I've been using allegra and a nose spray specifically for allergies. It's been working pretty well this season.

Regular nose spray is horrible. Yeah it clears you up but when stopping it you get hit worse than if you never took it at all. I used it for 4 days earlier this year when I was sick.... never again. The headache and ensuing congestion was the worst.
View Quote

People need a sea change on medicine.  Everything is now about eating whatever processed crap with no regard to what your body actually needs.  The meds we take often have side effects that has us reaching for more drugs to fix those issues and so on.

You have natural preventatives like my above post, then you have natural treatments.

For example I've been running a three year trial on different things I make at home to improve my family's health.  The big one was my fire cider recipe.  Unfortunately its intense, but I'll be damned if everyone in the house gets sick, sometimes passing it back and forth and I almost never do despite taking the lead to treat everyone.  The rare times I do get sick I'm better in half the time the others are sick, usually the last to show symptoms but the first or second back to normal.  Fire cider will open things up due to the heat while also giving the body a big boost of natural vitamins and nutrients that your body can more easily absorb compared to supplements that mostly make your piss crazy colors.  

Natural stuff like mint is great for opening your sinuses and trying to get the junk out, especially if combined with a hot shower.  Taking decongestants just locks everything in to fester prolonging the suffering, not to mention who knows what else to the body.  I'm not a nut whos sworn off modern medicine, but I think if I can find ways to minimize the non natural stuff I put in my body I'm probably going to be healthier for it long term.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:37:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Navage?  JK
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:43:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By bologna:
View Quote

Did you at least tip him after you got yours?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:44:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
No more than 3 days on afrin.

Switch to saline or Flonase for a while

View Quote

I use saline solution.  Non addictive and it helps.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:44:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Happened to me on my honeymoon.

Do one side of nasal at a time to ween off
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:47:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Compared to opiates and nicotine, it's really not bad.

I cold turkey'd it after about 25 years of daily use. It really does fuck up your sinuses after a while. But it kinda evens out after a month or so of stopping. I can almost smell again kinda.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:56:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By MTNShewter:
I like this stuff called x-clear if I’m plugged up.  It’s got xylitol in it which helps break up bacteria or something.  I dunno but it seems more natural / herbal than the other otc stuff.  Oh and the “rescue” x-clear has some high strength herb in it that’ll wake you TF up.  Makes you drain like you had some hot food.

Shit works, doesn’t seem to create a dependency, and available at Walgreens.
View Quote

If you really want to get the sinuses draining look up sinus plumber.  It's painful but worth it.  I also use a navage and during really bad allergy season I'll toss in some azelastine spray.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:58:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Afrin should be outlawed.

Gonna suck op but the sooner the better.

I went thru it once.  Never again. Not worth it
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:01:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Dependency isn't addition.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:02:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Get off that shit cold turkey, gonna suck.

Get Flonase.  It helps me immensely when I need it but not addictive.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:02:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Spray one side only of the nose--one spray only before bed.  Suffer.  Take Sudafed upon waking.  Suffer.  Spray the other side of the nose before bed the next day.  Suffer.  Take Sudafed upon waking.  Suffer.  Repeat until suffering decreases.  Cold turkey.  When you are at Costco getting your Sudafed, pick up some OTC Flonase/Fluticasone to try instead of Afrin. You can use that permanently as directed.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:04:45 AM EDT
[#46]
It’s not addiction it’s called the rebound effect.

Allergy specific nose sprays typically don’t induce it, shit like Flonase and Nasonex.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:13:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Hi, my name is J-SKI and I was, er...am ..a recovering Afrin junkie.

My college roommate became concerned about me in 1987 and hid my shit.  I subsequently beat his ass.

I haven't touched The Devil's Mist ever since.

Thanks, roomie.  Still sorry about the black eye, bro.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:22:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Cold turkey and suck it up for a few days OR….

Buy several bottles of the off brand stuff w same active ingredient as Afrin. Buy a couple of bottles of saline nasal spray that has no medications in it (just saline). Get a syringe and remove 1/2 of the afrin from one bottle and replace it w same volume of saline. Label this bottle “1/2 strength” and use it however often you need for up to 3 days. Repeat same process but make a bottle 1/4 strength and use for up to 3 days. Finally make a 1/8 strength and by them you should be able to basically quit and just use saline or nothing at all.

I’ve done the above and cold turkey methods. They both work, but weaning down is easier. Also, you don’t have to use each concentration for 3 whole days. You can just do one or two days, but giving some leeway to go UP TO 3 seems to make things easier.

Hope that helps 🤷‍♂️
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:47:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Meh, there's no problem until you start cooking it down.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:08:25 AM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

Its a bitch.

Have to quit cold turkey and take allegera D everyday.
I had to take the spray for a few days twice now since stopping 3 years ago.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top