Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:27:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I knew a guy that was. Afrin IIRC, but he sprayed all day every so many hours.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:27:27 AM EDT
[#2]
My dad was hooked on that crap from my earliest memory as a little kid until his death when I was fourteen.  I have no doubt that the bad effects contributed in no small way to his horrible health issues towards the end.  GET OFF THAT SHIT.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:29:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Curmudgeon762:
It’s a vasoconstrictor (like Visine). The rebound vasodilation is the issue and you have to keep dosing (like Visine). People become dependent on both all the time. It also makes the root cause of what’s causing the problem harder to diagnose.

TLDR: Don’t use Afrin or Visine
View Quote

Yes it is.  And is used often enough/long enough/in large enough amounts WILL have body-wide effects.  Dad could hardly walk ten feet without agony the circulation in his legs was so bad.  Not saying the Afrin was solely responsible (it wasn't) but it sure didn't help.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Morning Routine:
  1. Astepro spray in each nostril
  2. Zadetor eye drops
Evening Routine:
  1. nasal rinse (squeeze bottle, not just the pot one)
  2. Astepro spray in each nostril
  3. generic loratadine tablet

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:43:53 AM EDT
[#5]
If it has not been covered here yet (read page one and part of two) try ASTEPRO or the generic Azelastine OTC. Shit just flatout works. Flonase did not do much anymore for me. Long time allergy sufferer and multiple sinus sugeries

ASTEPRO

There is the potential for some people to get a nasty aftertaste if it goes down the back of the throat.
Absolutely fuckin worth it. Best thing I have tried.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Affrin is a miracle drug. I have severe panic attacks from feelings of claustrophobia when my nose is congested from being stuck in a carpet roll when I was a kid. My nose was smooshed allowing me to only breathe through my mouth.   I've done the rebound congestion with it several times in my life but I have a routine now when I need it (allergies or sickness).    Allergies I typically don't use it more than one day, so no issues there.     If I'm sick I'll use it until I"m not sick. 3-4 days sometimes up to 10, I'll also use real sudafed to reduce how much I need affrin to breathe. I then step down usage alternating doses with Benzedrex and/or Vicksvapo inhaler. That takes 2-3 days and then there is no rebound congestion.   Then I go months not touching it.    Repeat next time I'm sick.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Zip196:
If it has not been covered here yet (read page one and part of two) try ASTEPRO or the generic Azelastine OTC. Shit just flatout works. Flonase did not do much anymore for me. Long time allergy sufferer and multiple sinus sugeries

ASTEPRO

There is the potential for some people to get a nasty aftertaste if it goes down the back of the throat.
View Quote
Beat ya

I switched from flonase to astepro a couple years ago and it helped tremendously. I definitely get that nasty aftertaste too often
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:07:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Azelastine is a nose spray that works similar to Afrin, but without the rebound.  Unfortunately it is by prescription.  An ear nose throat doctor guided me onto it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:20:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Genin:
Azelastine is a nose spray that works similar to Afrin, but without the rebound.  Unfortunately it is by prescription.  An ear nose throat doctor guided me onto it.
View Quote

It’s OTC now. Pretty good med but it’s an antihistamine rather than a steroid or vasoconstrictor. Many people report it makes them drowsy
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:28:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Do the exercise this guy walks you through, you'll be surprised.

Get off the meds.

Shut your Mouth and Change your Life | Patrick McKeown | TEDxGalway
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
No more than 3 days on afrin.

Switch to saline or Flonase for a while

View Quote

This, it's called rebound congestion.
Tapered off the Afrin after starting Flonase (~4 hours between the 2)
Took a few days but haven't touched Afrin since
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:54:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By MDI:
About two weeks ago allergies hit me.

Happens every now and then.

It’s been two weeks and I have to hit the nose spray every few hours or I am 100% plugged.  

Any tips on how to ween off this before it’s too late?
View Quote

Quit while you are ahead. It's not necessarily an addiction. It is powerful. Learn to live with the nasal capacity God gave you. I'm a former addict, I approve this message.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#13]

It’s been two weeks and I have to hit the nose spray every few hours or I am 100% plugged.  

View Quote

Without my spray I clog up. I am at 10 years.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:09:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By zach_:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By zach_:

Y'all really need to try Astepro. It's faster bro*.
OTC and flat out works.
Generic available. Game changer.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By RayFromJersey:
Beat ya

I switched from flonase to astepro a couple years ago and it helped tremendously. I definitely get that nasty aftertaste too often
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RayFromJersey:
Originally Posted By Zip196:

ASTEPRO

Beat ya

Gotta spread the word brother!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:12:29 PM EDT
[#16]
wean off procedure:

use both Afrin and Flonase one squirt of each per nostril x 3 days. Then stop using the Afrin, continue the Flonase only for two more days = you should have the habit kicked and be breathing freely after that without need for the meds. Go see ENT if problems remain after this.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:14:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Switch to steroid based allergy meds (flonase or store brand version) rather than HCI decongestants.

It takes about two weeks to a month for the steroid based stuff to start working, it must be used daily. Every few months, go off of the stuff for a few weeks.

The flonase stuff will never be as good as HCI, but it will help keep your nose from being completely clogged up. You’ll only need the afrin once in a blue moon, rather than all the time.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#18]
The other bad thing is that your body gets used to what ever brand you're using and you'll have to find another brand that will work to only have to find another. Then you'll have to use some dog medicine(prednisone) to get cleared up again, then hopefully your body will be able to use those brands all over again.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:06:20 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

I took a rip of my ex's prescription nasal spray one time when my nose was stopped up.  OMG, instant relief; amazing. A few hours after it wore off, it felt like someone had filled my sinuses with playdough.

Nope.  I'll deal with a little congestion then ever have to deal with that side effect every again.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By PR361:
I got myself into a serious Afrin addiction in the eighties; couldn’t be without it. Same deal, if I stopped using it, nose was closed.

Cold turkey.

Sucks, but in a few weeks you’ll normalize.

I avoid the stuff like the plague now, haven’t touched it in twenty + years.
View Quote

Same here. Afrin is da debbil. Went cold turkey in '87 and haven't used it again since.

OP might want to start using saline nasal sprays which are cheap and maybe a humidifier in the bedroom. NOTE: use purified or distilled water ONLY as the CDC has identified a bacterium/amoeba similar to the 'brain eating' one that kills people.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By bologna:
Happened to my buddy, lost his house, cars, wife.  Sold his guns to fund the habit, last I saw he was giving $3 handjobs behind Walgreens.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:15:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:

This, it's called rebound congestion.
Tapered off the Afrin after starting Flonase (~4 hours between the 2)
Took a few days but haven't touched Afrin since
View Quote

Fuck, just looked that up. I've talked to multiple docs about my frequent use of Flonase and not one ever mentioned that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Number_Six:

Crank Hospital Scene -  nasal spray substitute for Epinephrene
(embed play is disabled by owner of video, watch on youtube)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDjZEd3uUvk
View Quote

RIP Chester
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:22:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Is that you Rickie?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:35:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DocBull] [#26]
Arm and hammer simply sailine mist to flush the shit out first.  Sinex if the flush and Pseudoephedrine is not cutting it.

Since it is the start of the yellow hell season, Scotch broom and cedars are wet as sin atm and about to explode on the first few warmish days I am not fucking looking forward to it at all.  The 4runner is white and will look like a cracked out faery with a main line hit of meth, a flour sifter and corn just went all out coating it for deep frying.

If you are bearded or just rocking the stashe Go amish and get rid of it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:43:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Was on it way too much ,only way i could sleep..funally starting waking up with a bloody pillow from nosebleeds.  Went to an ENT..  he said to quit now and after a peek up the nose said i had a  seriously deveated septum.  Had the surgery and even with both nostrils stuffed w packing i could breath better through my nose.  Been 8 months now. Have not been stopped up once since
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:25:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Curmudgeon762:
It’s a vasoconstrictor (like Visine). The rebound vasodilation is the issue and you have to keep dosing (like Visine). People become dependent on both all the time. It also makes the root cause of what’s causing the problem harder to diagnose.

TLDR: Don’t use Afrin or Visine
View Quote

When my sinuses went bad due to mold exposure in my office it puzzled me as to why my coworkers had no issues.  Turned out all the ones my age or older did and took various medications to try and mitigate it.  Without exception though, everyone drank tons of coffee every day, never seen that much consumption in all my years.  

Turns out coffee is a vasoconstrictor for the head but a vasodilator for the body.  There were always office bets like who could eat the most of something in a single sitting and I proposed that everyone quit coffee cold turkey.  Wasn't even considered, no way in hell.  My theory is that some people might hate quitting coffee because it mitigates their allergies, so once they go off the miserable symptoms come back but they've never analyzed their situation properly to determine that - admittedly it's difficult, lots of variables.  Another reason to keep a journal.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top