BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:56:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

This is what people say 5 or 10 years before realizing the system is incapable of being reformed in that way and changing their stance to being against capital punishment.  

Not trying to be snarky.  It seems to be the path people take tho, including myself.   I was once pro death penalty.   Long observation has shown me that human nature will not allow for a system perfect enough to justify capital punishment.

Some people deserve death.  But unaccountable men cannot be trusted to mete out such punishments precisely because they are unaccountable.
View Quote

Agree.

Here's the thing though, law and order has traditionally been a major Republican plank, as has aggressive militarism/hawkishness, and generally supporting benefits to capital over labor.

Conservatism stood on faith in our institutions and that Republican voters would be the beneficiaries.

All that remains of the Gipper's stool is a club to hit people with.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I wonder if that juror, Ms Hicks was on the hook for any financial liability linked to any lawsuit settlement, how would she feel about having second thoughts.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:29:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pair_of_ACES:
The vast majority of people who are wrongly convicted are still very very guilty of lots of other stuff.

I guess let’s hope this is the case.

Either way, you worked with the information you had at the time, and it’s hard to fault you for that.
View Quote

You can't convict someone for something they might have done and got away with as your back up plan. It's kind of a fair chase system.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top