Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2022 1:11:29 PM EDT
...and was amazed at the variety of types you can get.  I remember Dad having the style with the "butterfly" doors that opened when twisted and my middle brother got in to buying some vintage razors before he passed, and his daughter gave me his collection.  He had quite a few vintage ones, and one of them he had plated with sterling silver, and it has an original case and two metal blade holders inside.  I remember him saying he got the best shave ever from a DE razor.

Has anyone ever tried the Merkur Futur?  I saw it on a "best adjustable razor" review while looking around.  Hell of a space age looking style compared to the ones Dad used back in the day.  I read it's not recommended for a novice DE user like myself due to being an aggressive cut.  Thought it was an interesting design.

I'm still looking to see what is out there for a good one to try out, and checking out blades.  I've used disposables and various multi blade types over the years, and thought it might be fun to try something new.  

Link Posted: 7/8/2022 1:21:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dtrosch] [#1]
I dont have experience with the Merkur, but heard good things.  I went with old Gillette adjustibles (Slim and Fat Boy) from ebay, and cleaned and shined them up.  I like the knurled handles more than the smooth one you have linked.

Check out badger and brush forums--they are the AR15.com for shaving.

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/forums/
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 1:27:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spleenless-Dave] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dtrosch:
I dont have experience with the Merkur, but heard good things.  I went with old Gillette adjustibles (Slim and Fat Boy) from ebay, and cleaned and shined them up.  I like the knurled handles more than the smooth one you have linked.

Check out badger and brush forums--they are the AR15.com for shaving.

View Quote

I'll check it out, thanks!  I'll have to dig out all my brothers razors and look through what he had a little better.  I think his collection had several vintage Gillettes along with an old Atra.  Might snap a pic or two of it all.

I read where handles like Merkur and on other razors that had no knurling could be slippery when wet, and one guy laid his thumb open on the Merkur trying to take the blade out and it slipped.  Saw one guy that wrapped a rubber band around the indented area on one to give it more grip and another on a forum said he dipped a smooth razor handle in to some rubber grip material and let it dry and it worked.  Seems odd that they'd not do some kind of grip material on something they know will have hands that may be wet or soapy holding it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 1:29:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dtrosch] [#3]
Post pics and I'm sure you will get lots of info from members here.

Edited:  I have done a fair amount of research into the Gillettes and will be happy to share what I can when you post.  I also added the forum link above.

Link Posted: 7/8/2022 1:30:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DV8EDD] [#4]
I went from the modern multiblade to an R89 and I'll never go back.  So much better, it's not even close.

Taylor of Old Bond or Proraso.  Pinaud splash.  So nice.  ETA - i like personna blades, made in USA. Once you have the razor, a lifetime supply of blades is dirt cheap.

This is the set I have.

Link Posted: 7/8/2022 1:36:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Post pics and I'm sure you will get lots of info from members here.

Edited:  I have done a fair amount of research into the Gillettes and will be happy to share what I can when you post.  I also added the forum link above.

View Quote

Thanks, I appreciate it.  I'll get some pics later and post them.  And thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought at antique stores/second hand stores and use the oldies.  Select from your collection and enjoy!
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 5:08:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DV8EDD:
I went from the modern multiblade to an R89 and I'll never go back.  So much better, it's not even close.

Taylor of Old Bond or Proraso.  Pinaud splash.  So nice.  ETA - i like personna blades, made in USA. Once you have the razor, a lifetime supply of blades is dirt cheap.

This is the set I have.

https://i.imgur.com/Tu1kz8Uh.jpg
View Quote

Damn, that's a nice looking set!
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ltcnav:
I bought at antique stores/second hand stores and use the oldies.  Select from your collection and enjoy!
View Quote

That's what my brother did, I don't think he had a new razor in all that he had, just vintage ones that he got online.  There are a few places here at the lake area that have lots of used stuff/junk that I may check out to see what they have and see if they have any razors by chance.

Link Posted: 7/8/2022 5:33:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's a quick pic of what my brother had.  All the DE's say "Made in USA" except for the black handled one (just says Gillette) under the top, but the gold one says made in Canada.  The top right silver box one is what he had silver plated.

Link Posted: 7/8/2022 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Very cool.  I'd start with cleaning up the black handeled one--scrubbing bubbles and an old tooth brush will get it shining like new.  It looks like a basic Gillette Super Speed with the butterfly blade doors.  It should serve you well to start.  

I get Feather and Derby blades from amazon in bulk packs.  I like jamming a stick of Arko soap in a mug and using a cheap $10 brush for lather.

I suggest looking for a sub $30 gillette slim adjustable or sub $40 Fat Boy on ebay.  Also try scrubbing bubbles--works good especially if you dont see the brass through the nickle plating.

More research info:
https://backroadsgold.com/vintage-gillette-safety-razor/  
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 8:35:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Very cool.  I'd start with cleaning up the black handeled one--scrubbing bubbles and an old tooth brush will get it shining like new.  It looks like a basic Gillette Super Speed with the butterfly blade doors.  It should serve you well to start.  

I get Feather and Derby blades from amazon in bulk packs.  I like jamming a stick of Arko soap in a mug and using a cheap $10 brush for lather.

I suggest looking for a sub $30 gillette slim adjustable or sub $40 Fat Boy on ebay.  Also try scrubbing bubbles--works good especially if you dont see the brass through the nickle plating.

More research info:
https://backroadsgold.com/vintage-gillette-safety-razor/  
View Quote

I'll check out eBay for the ones you mentioned and see what's there.  And thanks for the cleaning tips, I appreciate it!    I think I may try out the black handled one.

I've got two brushes that were my brothers and I think I had his soap and dish too that his daughter gave me.  I need to look around.  Ever use shaving gel with a safety razor?
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:51:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Spleenless-Dave:

... Ever use shaving gel with a safety razor?
View Quote

I like using the Arko soap.  I'm just as quick whipping up a mug of lather as I would be with gel, but for me there is something I like about the old school methods with the classic razor.  I like the lemony scent, and it lathers quick.  You could certainly use gel, but it seems slightly wrong to me.  To each their own, though.

If you find a shaving soap you like the scent of, and get proficient at the razor you use, shaving changes from a daily chore to a daily routine that you enjoy.

Link Posted: 7/8/2022 11:01:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I've used canned jell soap with a DE and its ok, squirt a small blob in the bottom of my shaving bowl and whip to foam with my brush.
I'll 2nd the mash an Arko stick in a bowl (works great!)
I even went so far as to cheese grate Arko and add menthol to it, even better! (Fairly sure I posted the how to I found on the net here in the shaving forum)
Looks like your brother was a fan of open comb razors (me too)
I like and use Maggard's open comb razor this is the model I'm using:
Attachment Attached File

A better photo of the head:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/9/2022 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#16]

I like using the Arko soap.  I'm just as quick whipping up a mug of lather as I would be with gel, but for me there is something I like about the old school methods with the classic razor.  I like the lemony scent, and it lathers quick.  You could certainly use gel, but it seems slightly wrong to me.  To each their own, though.

If you find a shaving soap you like the scent of, and get proficient at the razor you use, shaving changes from a daily chore to a daily routine that you enjoy.

View Quote

I'll look around and see if I can find some shaving soap around here in town or order some.  I'd like to try it before trying the gel.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 11:31:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 45BArmorer:
I've used canned jell soap with a DE and its ok, squirt a small blob in the bottom of my shaving bowl and whip to foam with my brush.
I'll 2nd the mash an Arko stick in a bowl (works great!)
I even went so far as to cheese grate Arko and add menthol to it, even better! (Fairly sure I posted the how to I found on the net here in the shaving forum)
Looks like your brother was a fan of open comb razors (me too)
I like and use Maggard's open comb razor this is the model I'm using:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69136/Maggard-Razors-MR-5_jpg-2446283.JPG
A better photo of the head:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69136/Maggard-Razors-Open-Comb_v2_jpg-2446286.JPG
View Quote

THAT is a cool looking razor!  I was looking online at various ones and saw a titanium one that had a great design but was about $500.  A little too pricey for me.  
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 12:32:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I just re priced my razor, before shipping it's 39.95 https://maggardrazors.com/collections/safety-razors/products/maggard-razors-de-safety-razor-mr5-stainless-steel-handle
Lots of options and even mix and match (handles and heads to get the razor you want)
Find a few more things and get free shipping @ 59.00.

Also if your new look into getting an assorted blade sample pack to find the blades that work best for you.
Most people seem to like / love feather blades, for me they didn't work lots of nicks, and got dull fast 1 or 2 shaves max.
A user here sent me a small assortment of blades and after trying several brands, I settled on Astra Platinum and  Voskhod Teflon razor blades.
Bought 100 blades of each kind (around 15.00 per 100) couple of years ago and still working though them.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 9:56:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By fish223:
I have a Futur, great razor. Adjustable, and easy to clean. The whole blade keeper pops off. You won't be dissapointed.

View Quote

I'm still considering picking up a Futur, it's an interesting design. I'll probably start off with something basic though to get used to shaving with a DE razor.  I have a feeling I'm going to end up with multiple razors though.    I did that with guitars and guns.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 10:17:19 PM EDT
[#20]
You're going to want to try out a few. I have two DE razors I use sometimes. Sometimes I like using a Schick hydro 5 as well. I feel like there's a benefit to switching things up a little sometimes.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 9:49:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Vap0rWav3r] [#21]
I have a Futur, great razor. Adjustable, and easy to clean. The whole blade keeper pops off. You won't be dissapointed.

View Quote
This. I have accumulated 6 DE razors, 2 extra heads, and a shavette now I think . My Futur is my daily driver though because of ease of cleaning, and ease of changing out the blade (no unscrewing the handle and separating the head to change blades)

I still like to change it up from time to time though, I have a Merkur 38C that I leave at work in my locker in case I forget and need to knock down the stubble before I go on duty. I also like my cheap Maggard razors though. The closest DE shave I can get is attained by throwing in a Feather blade and cranking my Futur up to max blade reveal, It's not a comfortable shave but it's a close one. My skin really likes Personna Lab Blues in my Futur set to max reveal for a daily shave, I find that combo gives me the best 1 pass WTG workday shave while also being comfortable.

If I need to be completely smooth I'll go with a 2 pass WTG/XTG shave, or switch to one of my "Big Chungus" razors like my West Coast Shaving 175S with a slant head.

I personally detest butterfly razors, it's what I started with and they're too tall for me to shave under my nose easily, I prefer lower profile heads.

ETA- Those vintage Gillettes are gorgeous OP. I always liked the looks of those.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 10:54:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Vap0rWav3r:
This. I have accumulated 6 DE razors, 2 extra heads, and a shavette now I think . My Futur is my daily driver though because of ease of cleaning, and ease of changing out the blade (no unscrewing the handle and separating the head to change blades)

I still like to change it up from time to time though, I have a Merkur 38C that I leave at work in my locker in case I forget and need to knock down the stubble before I go on duty. I also like my cheap Maggard razors though. The closest DE shave I can get is attained by throwing in a Feather blade and cranking my Futur up to max blade reveal, It's not a comfortable shave but it's a close one. My skin really likes Personna Lab Blues in my Futur set to max reveal for a daily shave, I find that combo gives me the best 1 pass WTG workday shave while also being comfortable.

If I need to be completely smooth I'll go with a 2 pass WTG/XTG shave, or switch to one of my "Big Chungus" razors like my West Coast Shaving 175S with a slant head.

I personally detest butterfly razors, it's what I started with and they're too tall for me to shave under my nose easily, I prefer lower profile heads.

ETA- Those vintage Gillettes are gorgeous OP. I always liked the looks of those.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I never realized how many razors my brother had accumulated, just that he had gotten in to using the de razor.  He and I were a lot alike in that we'd get in to a new hobby and go overboard.  

I did order a Futur and it should be here in a day or so.  Also have watched a few videos of properly using a DE so I don't hack my face up.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 11:16:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Do you ever actually adjust an adjustable razor? Or do you find a setting you like and leave it there?

I use a merkur 23c (long handled) razor and feather blades.  Thinking about a short handled razor though.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 12:16:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By johnh57:
Do you ever actually adjust an adjustable razor? Or do you find a setting you like and leave it there?

I use a merkur 23c (long handled) razor and feather blades.  Thinking about a short handled razor though.
View Quote

I have the short handled version.  The supplied blades were good as well.  I now order 100 packs of Astras from Amazon.  For whatever reason, the Feathers didn't work for me.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 4:02:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Cooper1:

I have the short handled version.  The supplied blades were good as well.  I now order 100 packs of Astras from Amazon.  For whatever reason, the Feathers didn't work for me.
View Quote

After reading about various blades, I decided to get the Amazon Astra pack to try since my brother had a supply of Feather blades I could also try.  I think he might have some Gillette too in the box.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 8:49:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vap0rWav3r] [#26]

After reading about various blades, I decided to get the Amazon Astra pack to try since my brother had a supply of Feather blades I could also try.  I think he might have some Gillette too in the box.
View Quote
If anyone is getting into it and looking to try some blades without taking a bath if you don't like them go to Try A Blade  and go to Double Edge sort by popularity and you can buy the more popular ones as singles blades for 75 cents each or less, you could probably buy one of each of the top 10 and spend $4-6. They come in an envelope shipped via USPS.

They don't seem to have Feathers currently but have in the past.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 9:22:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vap0rWav3r] [#27]

I never realized how many razors my brother had accumulated, just that he had gotten in to using the de razor.  He and I were a lot alike in that we'd get in to a new hobby and go overboard.  

I did order a Futur and it should be here in a day or so.  Also have watched a few videos of properly using a DE so I don't hack my face up.
View Quote
I don't think you'll be disappointed, I would go easy with the settings (start with 1-3) until you get used to it or you may roast your face, do a 1 pass shave with the grain. I got cocky with a lucky first shave, and then paid for it my second time and it looked like Freddy Krueger got ahold of me. The most important thing when switching from cart razors is to let the weight of the razor do the work, don't push down on it.

Look into getting an alum block, and a styptic pencil if you don't have them already. The alum block looks like a small salt lick, you get it wet and rub it all over your face and it will let you know where you are going hard on your skin, and it disinfects your face and prevents razor burn. The styptic pencil is powdered alum that looks like a piece of chalk, you get that wet and touch it to bleeders and it will stop them instantly without leaving a blood spot/scab. Be careful using it on slices though because it will seal them in the open position and you can get some gnarly looking scars  ask me how I know . You can get styptic pencils a lots of places Walmart and most pharmacies, but I've always had to order the alum blocks online.

Razors are like guns they just seem to multiply all by themselves. Everyone goes through a gear phase in the beginning and collects brushes, razors, soaps, blades etc. You'll eventually settle in to a daily combo you like. I use Barbasol and my Futur usually because I'm in a rush before work, but if I have time to enjoy the experience on a day off I'll use Stirling Soap and my Stirling synthetic brush. "Margaritas in the Arctic" is my favorite scent of theirs, it smells like lime and has menthol that cools your skin. I use the Margaritas aftershave as a cologne when I get dressed up and it's not an overwhelming scent.

The nice thing about a lot of soap companies is they sell sample sizes so you don't have to commit to a scent you might not like, once you find one you like you can buy a full size puck.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 12:15:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vap0rWav3r] [#28]
Originally Posted By johnh57:

View Quote
Personally the only time I ever adjust my Futur is if I throw in a Feather blade I'll drop it down 2 notches or so. Feathers have too much flex/chatter when it's wide open and I get a ton of nicks, most other blades are stiff enough that I leave it at the highest setting.

The only other time I ever recall lowering was when I first got it and was nervous, and when I  got really sunburned and wanted to take it easier on my face.

If you want a short handle, vintage Travel Tech Gillettes are insane, the handle was about the length of a blade. You can find them on eBay for >$20 without the case depending on condition.

Link Posted: 7/14/2022 4:50:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Personally the only time I ever adjust my Futur is if I throw in a Feather blade I'll drop it down 2 notches or so. Feathers have too much flex/chatter when it's wide open and I get a ton of nicks, most other blades are stiff enough that I leave it at the highest setting.

The only other time I ever recall lowering was when I first got it and was nervous, and when I  got really sunburned and wanted to take it easier on my face.

If you want a short handle, vintage Travel Tech Gillettes are insane, the handle was about the length of a blade. You can find them on eBay for >$20 without the case depending on condition.
https://img1.etsystatic.com/107/0/6640131/il_570xN.1106494173_kb7o.jpg

View Quote

That's a cool little razor.  It's been interesting to look at vintage razors online, and see the various styles and looks.    

Thanks for the blade sample company link, I'll check them out and see what I can order to try out.     I'll check out soaps online and see what any stores around here might have (probably be easiest to just order online and not waste gas) and I have a styptic pencil but could use a new one.  I've got some Proraso that was in my brothers kit that I started using after a shave and I like it.  I'm so used to the Mach razors and others, it will be interesting to do the first shave with a DE razor.  By the way, USPS delivered the Merkur Futur today.  VERY nice.  Hefty as hell, and well made.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 7:23:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NathanL] [#30]
Have a Gillette slim adjustable I inherited.

Every day shave razor is a Fatip Lo Sort, open comb slant razor. Will take off 7-10 days of growth in no time with a feather blade. Otherwise a voskhod blade.

Link Posted: 7/15/2022 10:08:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By NathanL:
Have a Gillette slim adjustable I inherited.

Every day shave razor is a Fatip Lo Sort, open comb slant razor. Will take off 7-10 days of growth in no time with a feather blade. Otherwise a voskhod blade.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1337/4655/products/42146.jpg?v=1619615961

View Quote

That's interesting with the slanted design.  Does that shave differently having the angles?
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 12:03:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vap0rWav3r] [#32]

That's a cool little razor.  It's been interesting to look at vintage razors online, and see the various styles and looks.    

Thanks for the blade sample company link, I'll check them out and see what I can order to try out.     I'll check out soaps online and see what any stores around here might have (probably be easiest to just order online and not waste gas) and I have a styptic pencil but could use a new one.  I've got some Proraso that was in my brothers kit that I started using after a shave and I like it.  I'm so used to the Mach razors and others, it will be interesting to do the first shave with a DE razor.  By the way, USPS delivered the Merkur Futur today.  VERY nice.  Hefty as hell, and well made.
View Quote
Yeah personally I think the heftier razors are better to start with, some of the ultralight safety razors (the Soviet military bakelites for example) require you to use pressure to shave and it's easier to get into trouble pushing down too hard.

I always thought the Bakelite military kits were cool.

Some of the vintage designs were funky, but most have stood the test of time. One interesting thing I saw online that I wouldn't have considered was someone got a vintage Gillette Fatboy IIRC, and the finish was trashed. Instead of replating it nickel, gold, or chrome they cerakoted it. It looked really unique and nicely done. I'm sure it was a pain to take it apart so that nothing got fused in the painting process being an adjustable. It would probably be much easier to do a simple 3 piece non-adjustable.

ETA- just found it it was gunkote, not Cerakote, I'm not entirely sure what all the differences are in the finishes.

Link Posted: 7/15/2022 4:23:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NathanL] [#33]

That's interesting with the slanted design.  Does that shave differently having the angles?
View Quote
Much more agressive, it slices the hair along the blade so to speak. It will cut a weeks worth of growth off in a single pass. Then a follow up pass to clean it up if needed. Some people find it too agressive.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By NathanL:
Much more agressive, it slices the hair along the blade so to speak. It will cut a weeks worth of growth off in a single pass. Then a follow up pass to clean it up if needed. Some people find it too agressive.
View Quote

Definitely sounds more aggressive than a standard style, and probably aimed at people that are long time de shavers, unlike me.  I'd be slicing my face off.    It's a cool design.  I remember seeing some other brand that had an angled head while looking at razors online. I'll have to see I can find it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 2:46:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Have a game changer, I'd recommend it.

https://www.razorock.com/?buynow=razors

Been happy with voskhod blades.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 3:35:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Smurf10161:
Have a game changer, I'd recommend it.

https://www.razorock.com/?buynow=razors

Been happy with voskhod blades.
View Quote

Thanks!  They've got a nice variety of styles to choose from.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 10:42:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FluffyTheCat] [#38]

Thanks!  They've got a nice variety of styles to choose from.
View Quote

I have two Game Changers. I have one with a vintage thick bar handle and the 0.084 base plate and another with the 0.064 base plare and a slightly longer handle.

Here's the Game Changer with the vintage thick bar handle.

The vintage thick bar handle is the same length as many of the classic Gillette razors. It really is the perfect length

https://www.italianbarber.com/products/handle-only-razorock-vintage-thick-bar-handle-316l-stainless-steel

When your order the handle, order both kinds of base plates and also order a top cap. By changing out the base plates you can adjust the aggression of your shave.

https://www.italianbarber.com/collections/razorock-razor-heads/products/razorock-game-changer-68-p-base-plate

https://www.italianbarber.com/collections/razorock-razor-heads/products/razorock-game-changer-84-p-base-plate

https://www.italianbarber.com/collections/razorock-razor-heads/products/game-changer-top-cap-special-request-2

Link Posted: 7/14/2023 11:00:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Nice collection, I love those old Gillette razors.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 11:01:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Got into the DE game several months ago. I bought this to try different blades.

I prefer the Lord platinum blades.

Since I was just getting started, I got a decent razor that looked cool.

Amazon Product
  • CONTENT: 1 Chieftain '5 BC' razor handle + 1 Luxury carry case ONLY. This '5 BC' variation does NOT come with blades to prevent rash from blade unsuitability. Please buy your double edge blades separately and see which brand suits your hair/skin the best

Link Posted: 7/14/2023 11:13:45 PM EDT
[#41]
ShaveMyFace.com was a great site I was at for a long time. Try a few blades, Feather is probably the sharpest but dulls quick. I use Derby blades in a vintage Gillette Slim Twist. As far as collecting, I have a Ranger and a couple TV specials that I have been thinking of selling.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 2:40:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Your brother had a nice collection of razors. When I started out I bought a new Merkur 34C and then soon got a vintage Gillette Super Speed with the butterfly opening. The Super Speed is by far my favorite of the two and I almost exclusively use it at this point. I’ve been meaning to pick up a razor with an open toothed comb for when I go a while between shaving my head and my Super Speed clogs between every pass.

Just go slow and pay attention. Apply very little pressure and you can always add some more shaving cream/soap and do another pass if you go too light.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 9:19:41 PM EDT
[#43]
I just ordered a Rockwell R1, Merkur 42C and a variety of blades. I used to use a DE and it got damaged in a move and I never got around to going back. I wasn't into the whole brush/bowl routine, so switching to cartridges wasn't that big a change and I'd used those when I was younger so nothing new.

I was in the store and the price had gone up again and I was thinking, this is stupid, I know there's a better way.

My R1, Merkur and blades (and misc other stuff) haven't even arrived yet and I was on ebay this morning ordering a vintage Super Speed. If you don't mind it not being one of the rare ones or in perfect condition with a case they're cheap. It's not like they didn't make massive numbers of them. Gonna have to play around with different razor/blade combos to see what my favorite is again.

I may just gift the R1 and a blade sampler to someone who wants to try DE shaving. I just bought it to try out TTO but unless the Super Speed is not as described I doubt I'll even take the R1 out of the box.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 9:28:17 PM EDT
[#44]
I use the Henson, it works great, and is as close to the shape/ ease of use as a regular disposable razor.

Its also very safe - very hard to cut yourself - safe to the point of using it around 'delicate areas' which is something I'd definitely not do with most safety razors.

https://hensonshaving.com/products/henson-al13-in-aircraft-aluminum

Biggest advantage is not closeness of shave - a brand new Mach 3 is as close or closer.

The advantage is cost. A 10 cent Astra razor blade provides 4x perfect shaves (2x shaves per edge).
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 9:47:49 PM EDT
[#45]
https://yatesprecision.com/collections/safety-razors

I keep saying I'm going to buy one of these to try out. I've been following him on Instagram for a long time, I'm emotionally invested now.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 4:38:43 PM EDT
[#46]
A small amount of advice.  I am 66 and recently started with a safety razor.

1.  Remember that even with the d.e.razor and all, this style of shaving was a daily chore for your predecessors, just as your shaving is now.

2.  At the end of the day, it is still simply shaving.  Spend all the money you want, it's yours and I don't care. I didn't spend much at all, got the butterfly handle free.

3.  This type of shaving will take you Muuuuch longer than you are used to but, it's your time, not mine.

4, and to me, the best.  This type of shaving can be verrry relaxing.  The time, the "ritual," can be very calming. I am a horrible mechanic but I try.  Got frustrated working on the car last week. Quit early, came in the house, showered and shaved.  Took about 15-20 minutes on "the ritual."

No more anger or frustration.  Calm.

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 6:28:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Use a 1962 Gillette slim adjustable that was my grandfathers.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 11:30:20 PM EDT
[#48]

I'm still considering picking up a Futur, it's an interesting design. I'll probably start off with something basic though to get used to shaving with a DE razor.  I have a feeling I'm going to end up with multiple razors though.    I did that with guitars and guns.
View Quote
I have the Van Der Hagen version I got at the grocery store for $19.

while I like the razor, I would not buy the real one for $80.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top