Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2024 10:53:21 PM EDT
So I started using my edge finder inside the hole using the dro half function to get really close really quickly.

They I set up my indicator and I'm so close that I'm on center in a couple minutes. I don't know why I didn't think of using them together before. So much less fiddling. 

If the hole is smaller I start with a 1/2" pointed rod to eyeball the center before I set up the test indicator. 

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:00:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Use the indicator for the edge finder step, no need to change tool. Use the dro still.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By User55645:
Use the indicator for the edge finder step, no need to change tool. Use the dro still.
View Quote

The whole point of the edge finder steep was to speed up the indicator set up. Almost  zero fiddling with the indicator. No need to reposition the indicator several times.

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:35:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By batmanacw:

The whole point of the edge finder steep was to speed up the indicator set up. Almost  zero fiddling with the indicator. No need to reposition the indicator several times.

View Quote

You might be misunderstanding. With the indicator in the spindle, rotate it to either the + or - side of an axis, inside the hole. Run the part into the dial, until it hits a number (irrelevant what number but remember). Zero DRO. Rotate dial 180 (precision not required) and redo. Move axis half the distance back, just like you'd do for an edge finder. Do the other axis. Now, zero using the "dial method".
   This is the "exact" method used for an edge finder (finding rough zero), without having to make a tool change.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:32:48 AM EDT
[#4]

You might be misunderstanding. With the indicator in the spindle, rotate it to either the + or - side of an axis, inside the hole. Run the part into the dial, until it hits a number (irrelevant what number but remember). Zero DRO. Rotate dial 180 (precision not required) and redo. Move axis half the distance back, just like you'd do for an edge finder. Do the other axis. Now, zero using the "dial method".
   This is the "exact" method used for an edge finder (finding rough zero), without having to make a tool change.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:03:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Pin gauges are a down and dirty way to copy something.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:58:32 PM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes

Okay...cool! I'll try it. Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote
Putting the 3/8"/dovetail adapter on the front of the DTI make it easier to see the dial at any orientation.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:19:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By MethaneMover:
Putting the 3/8"/dovetail adapter on the front of the DTI make it easier to see the dial at any orientation.
View All Quotes

For that top dial Interapid I use a spindle mounted Indicol copy that works super nice.

I keep a side mounted Interapid in a decent clamp style Indicol like in the picture.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:21:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By eddiebunkaz:
Pin gauges are a down and dirty way to copy something.
View Quote

So glad I bought the pin gauges I did. I need to buy the last two sets up to 1".
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:43:56 PM EDT
[#10]

For that top dial Interapid I use a spindle mounted Indicol copy that works super nice.

I keep a side mounted Interapid in a decent clamp style Indicol like in the picture.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/110628/20240331_091231_jpg-3175036.JPG
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/110628/20240331_091231_jpg-3175036.JPG

Depending on how precise you need to be, you may need to indicate over pins set at the pitch diameter of the teeth.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:07:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: batmanacw] [#11]
Originally Posted By Cycolac:

Depending on how precise you need to be, you may need to indicate over pins set at the pitch diameter of the teeth.
View Quote

I just needed to avoid run-out on an 88 year old lathe. I got it dramatically better than it was. It is far more accurate than the clearance it needs to run. I had it within 0.0005" on the tips of the teeth. Plenty close enough for this project.

I used about 0.010" of clearance to get everything to run smoothly. The feed gear it mates with has a brazed repair that won't allow it to be set too tight.

If you saw the brazed up broken gear I trued up today you'd loose your mind. I got it within 0.002" indicated run-out. Trued the bore to the outside diameter and faced both sides. That gear is running true for the first time in decades.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:13:16 PM EDT
[#12]

I just needed to avoid run-out on an 88 year old lathe. I got it dramatically better than it was. It is far more accurate than the clearance it needs to run. I had it within 0.0005" on the tips of the teeth. Plenty close enough for this project.

If you saw the brazed up broken gear I trued up today you'd loose your mind. I got it within 0.002" indicated run-out. Trued the bore to the outside diameter and faced both sides. That gear hasn't run true in decades.
View Quote

Gotcha!
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Gotcha!
View All Quotes

If you saw the brazed up broken gear I trued up today you'd loose your mind. I got it within 0.002" indicated run-out. Trued the bore to the outside diameter and faced both sides. That gear hasn't run true in decades.

Gotcha!

I have no idea how I posted while posting
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

This is what I do.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:56:42 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

Good tip
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top