Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2024 12:24:49 PM EDT
My son had a pair of KZ ZSM10 IEMs for drumming. The little nub that the cable attached to dissolved.  We just ordered a new pair.

Has anyone had issues like this with their IEMs? Is it just ear wax that dissolves whatever material they used, or is this some kind of current/heat issue? I never heard him say the IEMs were too warm, but I can't think of any other reason the material would dissolve.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a pair of sure se535's that the glue failed at the seams. Had them for four years. Sure wanted 92 dollars to repair the defective Chinese glue. I put super glue on it.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:03:07 PM EDT
[#2]
In this case, there's nothing to glue.  The little nub that holds the 2 pins is dissolved. I tried to measure and 3D print a little nub to glue on, but that was a disaster. I couldn't get the holes right and the pins didn't fit in.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 5:16:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: COLTGOLDCUP] [#3]
I don't know how long the super glue repair will hold up on them. So I ordered a pair of Westone Mach40's form Sweetwater. They were 180 dollars off. I just use mine for plugging into my amp once in awhile or listening to concerts on YouTube.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I have never heard of that issue. The "nub" is merely part of the rest of the plastic housing, it's not a separate part or different material.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:19:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Walkure:
I have never heard of that issue. The "nub" is merely part of the rest of the plastic housing, it's not a separate part or different material.
View Quote

Yep, that's why I'm confused about the dissolving.  Thought maybe it was a known issue with type of cheap chinese plastics or something.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:06:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ajroyer:
KZ ZSM10
View Quote
Do you mean ZSN or KZ10?

My take is he either cleaned it with an incompatible cleaner, or got something on it. It can't be ear wax otherwise it would dissolve ear tissue.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:18:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 74HC:
Do you mean ZSN or KZ10?

My take is he either cleaned it with an incompatible cleaner, or got something on it. It can't be ear wax otherwise it would dissolve ear tissue.
View Quote

https://www.amazon.com/KZ-ZS10-Linsoul-Earphones-Detachable/dp/B07QKYTGH9
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:59:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 74HC] [#8]
Thought so as I've never heard of a ZSM10 model. I have both, the ZSN Pro and the ZS10 Pro. Cleaned the outer shell with 70% alcohol and never had an issue.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 1:27:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Are they coming into contact with another type of plastic/rubber/latex item, like a bag or rubber band or tie down for storage or cable management?
Some dissimilar plastics eat each other up when they spend any length of time in contact with each other. I found this out with a variety of rubberized gloves I had stored in my garage. It was like someone had poured acid on them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:44:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By just-mike:
Are they coming into contact with another type of plastic/rubber/latex item, like a bag or rubber band or tie down for storage or cable management?
Some dissimilar plastics eat each other up when they spend any length of time in contact with each other. I found this out with a variety of rubberized gloves I had stored in my garage. It was like someone had poured acid on them.
View Quote

We had a different cable. Maybe that's all it took?

We ordered another pair and he's only using the stock cable that came with it. We'll stick to that cable and see if it dissolves again.

I never knew this. I'll watch for this in the future. Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top