Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2022 2:32:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SDavid]
My father found some WWII pictures in his attic that were lost over 25 years ago by the previous home owner. We are trying to identify one of the signs (posted below). We've searched through some sites, but haven't seen anything close to it. Tineye.com didn't find anything like it, even a Google search left me wanting.

Does anyone have information about this sign? I've also asked for the other pictures he has scanned and will post when I receive them.

Here's a couple more pictures, followed by an imgur album share.

Here's the album share link:
https://imgur.com/a/8ynO4An
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Some of the locals remind me of Papau New Guinea and/or Solomon Islands... maybe?

Regardless, thanks for posting !
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gamboolman:
Some of the locals remind me of Papau New Guinea and/or Solomon Islands... maybe?
View Quote

Looks like some of these were indeed in the western Pacific theater - the P-40s, P-39s, and B-24s were GENERALLY operational in those areas with the AAF as opposed to the Navy/Marine aircraft in the eastern theater. But we do see an F-4U-1, an F4F Wildcat, and a J2F Duck. Since those aircraft were also operated by the Australians and New Zealanders in the western Pacific, could be they were visitors from those Allies.

May forever remain a mystery - but always fun to see photos of "the boys" going about their daily business. Thanks for taking the time to scan and post.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 10:24:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Hello, long time lurker 1st time poster.
             I believe you are looking for the 57th Engineer Combat BN. They were formed on 4/23/42 in New Caledonia and deactivated on 10/12/45 at Ft Lawton Washington. They were attached to the 23 ID (Americal Division) and were posted to New Caledonia, Gaudalcanal,Fiji,Bougainville and the Philippines. The info came from Shelby Stantons WW2 order of battle. If you noticed the goat is leaning on a shovel
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By PACU-Nurse:
Hello, long time lurker 1st time poster.
             I believe you are looking for the 57th Engineer Combat BN. They were formed on 4/23/42 in New Caledonia and deactivated on 10/12/45 at Ft Lawton Washington. They were attached to the 23 ID (Americal Division) and were posted to New Caledonia, Gaudalcanal,Fiji,Bougainville and the Philippines. The info came from Shelby Stantons WW2 order of battle. If you noticed the goat is leaning on a shovel
View Quote

Welcome to the site, and thanks for the information. I'll pass it along to my father. The goat and the shovel was the start of the search. My father has been contacting several people and companies about the photo's. So far we are not even certain how these photo's ended up at his house.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 9:33:06 PM EDT
[#5]
The beached ship Kinugawa-Maru was from Guadalcanal .

There is also a picture of soldiers posing with a copy of the book Guadalcanal Diary .

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 1:53:08 PM EDT
[#6]
The P-40 pictured has a merlin engine.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 6:16:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By distrflman:
View Quote

??Que??

P40s never had a RR or Studebaker Merlin Engine.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 6:19:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I believe the tank is on the Canal.
There should be a series of pictures very similar appearing in Life magazine of the time, with the same tank, and a Japanese head perched on it, in the surf there at Guadalcanal.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 9:03:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By CowboyGunner:

??Que??

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

??Que??

P-40F and P-40L, which both featured Packard V-1650 Merlin engine in place of the normal Allison.
No air intake on top of the cowl, that is the tell.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 8:33:43 PM EDT
[#10]

P-40F and P-40L, which both featured Packard V-1650 Merlin engine in place of the normal Allison.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

??Que??

Mea culpa - I stand corrected, sir.
I never knew that - now ya taught me sumthin new.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top