Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2024 10:19:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Firearmsenthusiast]
If you want a smaller home shop lathe take a look at this one at HGR.

Long bed, hard ways, D1-4 camlock, all the accessories. Look closely and you will see this is a well cared for machine.

It won't be there long.

https://hgrinc.com/productDetail/Machine-Tools/Used-South-Bend-Lathe/02241600001/

FYI for anyone serious about it, I have purchased from HGR, both for work and personally and they have been great to work with.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I agree, that'd be a great garage machine.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Solid machine, but not being able to cut metric threads would be a deal-breaker for me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#3]
That IS my shop lathe.  Well, a bit newer.  Mine is ex-USN.   Came with a brand new chuck and comically large 3PH motor that, together, were worth more than I paid for the whole thing.  Bought a much larger SB 13" lathe from the NYPD, but it gets much less use.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:09:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Firearmsenthusiast] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ske714:
Solid machine, but not being able to cut metric threads would be a deal-breaker for me.
View Quote

It only takes one transposing gear to cut metric threads. They can be found on ebay inexpensively. My 10l came woth a set and the thread pitch table riveted to the back cover, I see some of the change gears in the box of tooling on yhr one for sale but I don't see a transposing gear, but that's cheap and easy problem to solve.

If you want a metric machine, then I would agree. But metric threads are no problem on that lathe.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:22:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Firearmsenthusiast:

It only takes one transposing gear to cut metric threads. They can be found on ebay inexpensively. My 10l came woth a set and the thread pitch table riveted to the back cover, I see some of the change gears in the box of tooling on yhr one for sale but I don't see a transposing gear, but that's cheap and easy problem to solve.

If you want a metric machine, then I would agree. But metric threads are no problem on that lathe.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ske714:

Huh... interesting, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I wonder what the voltage is?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:31:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ske714] [#7]
Originally Posted By Jacketch:
View Quote

I would tell you, but it's already gone.

The ad was gone, but now it's back.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:45:16 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote
The ones we had in the instrument shop were 240 3ph.  Not that it really matters, given the availability of VFDs.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:06:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought an old Darex M2 drill sharpener from HGR for $146.

It paid for itself the first time I used it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

It look like the same Reliance motor mine gas.

1hp 220 3 phase.  Will need a VFD, but they are so cheap now people actually want 3 phase equipment.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:47:32 PM EDT
[#11]
aaaaaaaannd it's gone!
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#12]
aaaaaaaannd it's gone!
View Quote
It was gone 2wks ago.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:29:05 PM EDT
[#13]
If you want a smaller home shop lathe take a look at this one at HGR.

Long bed, hard ways, D1-4 camlock, all the accessories. Look closely and you will see this is a well cared for machine.

It won't be there long.

https://hgrinc.com/productDetail/Machine-Tools/Used-South-Bend-Lathe/02241600001/

FYI for anyone serious about it, I have purchased from HGR, both for work and personally and they have been great to work with.
View Quote

You mention that you have purchased from HGR, have you or anyone else in here ever sold anything to them?  I have several pieces that I need to get rid of ASAP. Most are bigger than what is normally mentioned in this forum, no home shop machines except some welders maybe.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:22:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:

You mention that you have purchased from HGR, have you or anyone else in here ever sold anything to them?  I have several pieces that I need to get rid of ASAP. Most are bigger than what is normally mentioned in this forum, no home shop machines except some welders maybe.
View Quote

I have never sold anything to them, but it wouldn't hurt to call them.

What are trying to unload?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes

A big LeBlond engine lathe (36" x 240"), couple of K&T #50 taper vertical mills, big radial drill press, cylindrical grinder, oxy-fuel/plasma table, and a couple of punch presses.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:31:32 PM EDT
[#16]

A big LeBlond engine lathe (36" x 240"), couple of K&T #50 taper vertical mills, big radial drill press, cylindrical grinder, oxy-fuel/plasma table, and a couple of punch presses.
View Quote

Yeah those are real machines. Is the plasma table a Whitney?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:49:22 AM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

No, it's an MG Messer 2 torch setup with a Burny CNC control. It will cut up to 8" plate on oxy/fuel with an 8' x 20' table. The plasma capacity is 1" from a Linde power unit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:07:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MethaneMover] [#18]

No, it's an MG Messer 2 torch setup with a Burny CNC control. It will cut up to 8" plate on oxy/fuel with an 8' x 20' table. The plasma capacity is 1" from a Linde power unit.
View Quote
I don't think my home neighborhood wiring is up to that.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:04:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By MethaneMover:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MethaneMover:

I have another Linde power supply for a 2.5" plasma unit, that one will make your meter spin.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top