Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2023 9:43:48 AM EDT
Some of you know that I am in the HD towing and equipment transport business. I am just an employee, but in the industry for about 25yrs. The owner/boss of my company has been great to me since day one, no complaints there, will maybe a little when it comes to his son in regards to how he does things and treats people, but that is not what this thread is about.

My issue is with the companies that build the equipment we use, and their complete lack of fixing well known and long time flaws in their equipment. I am not going to go into too much detail on this, because it is simply too difficult for me to explain, via the written word, to folks not in the business.

On to the point.

I move/transport all of the following equipment on the regular.

Forklifts, every variant you can think of. Electric, LP, diesel, sitdowns, stand-ups, orderpickers, reach trucks, electric pallet jacks-singles-doubles-triples. Most of these pieces are rental units, yet the manufacturers make absolutely no provisions for transport securement. You have to be creative to secure them without damaging them, and in some cases the units are new, so don't scratch the paint. When these ship from the manufacturer, they are loaded in van trailers, sometimes disassembled due to size. The ones that roll, are simply driven in and the tires are wedge locked with wood blocks that are nailed to the floor. However, in the real world when this equipment is moved to different customers, they are transported on HD roll-back haulers, landoll trailers, lowboy trailers and RGN trailers, and must be secured with chains, ratchet binders and straps. Again, you must be creative and careful to secure them for transport.

Dirt equipment, back-hoes, excavators, skid-steers etc. These units do have good securement locations provided for, no real complaint from me on these units.

Conex boxes, sea containers, whatever you want to call them. We move a good amount of these, as construction companies use them as on-site storage. These are easy to move, if you have a specialized bed or trailer designed specifically to move them, wider beds with side rails and locking fixtures for the corner lock blocks. Since our trucks and trailers are not specialized for this, we can and do move them safely, some of them loaded with materials, some empty. Rarely are they loaded onto our trucks with forklifts, we have to winch them on and off the truck. This can be a PIA, due to uneven terrain to get these to load straight, if you don't have side-rails to guide them. There are tricks to this, I know them all, still don't like moving them, but it is part of the job.

Trailered equipment, mobile generators, air compressors, ground thaw heaters, maxi-heaters. These can either be winched on bed of the truck or pulled, sometimes I will need to do both. These units also have their quirks. While the do have good securement points for bed securement, you have to be careful not to rip the tongue jack off of them while winching on the bed. Also, while some of these are on trailers, they are not, per the equipment manufacturer, to be towed at high speeds. Least I forget, these units ALWAYS ship with additional items that allow their use. Heavy gauge wire/cable, air hoses and duct work, these are usually put into plastic totes are on skids. Easy to secure with straps, provided the bed you are using can is designed to work with straps. (Note: this one is one of many complaints I have.)

Temporary A/C units, chiller units. These can vary greatly in size, usually bulky but not really heavy. The A/C units are difficult to secure, as the manufacturer stipulates "NO STRAPS OVER THE TOP", so you have to thread a chain thru the fork pockets on the bottom, which is fine as I prefer chains. However, if the bed I am trying to secure the A/C unit to, doesn't provide an enough, or properly located, chain locks for me to hook to, it is a PIA and you never feel as though you got good securement. Chiller units are usually built on a steel frame work and have securement points, and those are NEVER well thought out, put at least the tried. However, and again, chain lock placement on the bed of the truck is still important, and often never where you need them. Sigh........

Now to the jest of my current frustration.

I just got a new work truck, by the "best" maker in the game. While the truck itself is great, although I did have some doubts about going from an 18spd manual to an automatic, so far it has been great. But the bed is pure shit. Horribly designed chain locks, that are already deforming, and not enough of them or in good locations. And if you need to use flat hook straps, in which I prefer to use because chain straps suck to store and you have to use the limited amount of chain locks to use them, you get to not only scratch the shit of your brand new. Not to mention, the hook not staying "hooked" on the side rail because gravity exists, so when you go over to put the ratchet on it, only to find it slipped off the rail. Time to get those extra steps in walking around the truck!

Who ever decided that these were "good" enough for this industry, is a MORON!

The staple of the industry for securement, is 3/8" grade 8 chains with 3/8" slip hooks attached at each end, 3/8" ratchet binders and 2" flat hook nylon straps. It has been this way for decades. Why would someone design a chain lock system that doesn't allow DIRECT FUCKING ATTACHMENT OF A 3/8" SLIP HOOK! Also, lets just put about a 1/3 of the amount that is needed on a piece of equipment that is supposed to be designed to be UBER VERSATILE and for multiple uses!

Sorry for the rant and the long read.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 10:25:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PvtJoeBauers] [#1]
I skimmed through so forgive me if it was mentioned but did your boss ask your opinion beforehand on the trailer purchase?

I really like my automated 18. It’s ten times better than any other auto/automated I’ve driven. The Allison I drove in a tandem a couple times wasn’t too bad but I don’t think it’d be good for 80k plus.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 7:29:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PvtJoeBauers:
I skimmed through so forgive me if it was mentioned but did your boss ask your opinion beforehand on the trailer purchase?

I really like my automated 18. It’s ten times better than any other auto/automated I’ve driven. The Allison I drove in a tandem a couple times wasn’t too bad but I don’t think it’d be good for 80k plus.
View Quote

Not trailer, it is an 4 axle roll back.

The boss's son chose the bed, boss spec'd the truck.

I am also livid, as I have been fighting with some hydraulic leaks on it for 3 days.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By bigcraig:

Not trailer, it is an 4 axle roll back.

The boss's son chose the bed, boss spec'd the truck.

I am also livid, as I have been fighting with some hydraulic leaks on it for 3 days.
View Quote

We just got three specialty trucks each over a half mil and they had plenty of leaks as well. Maybe these manufacturers are hiring too many veteran aviators. “It’s not a problem until they stop leaking oil”
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Who was the manufacturer? Miller Industries?
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 11:19:37 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are tired of driving, you should engage a headhunter or resume writer or somebody like that, and see if you couldn't parley your experience on the trucks into a position at a factory or design center, where all the engineers "great ideas" are born.

Different kind of frustration to be sure, but I imagine there is a dearth of info reaching either managers or engineers about the equipment they are specifying.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 8:15:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TN-MadDog:
Who was the manufacturer? Miller Industries?
View Quote

Correct.

Apparently my complaints have reached the ears of a regional rep.

I, may, or may not, have made a "scene" at the outfitter that mounted the bed to the chassis.

Other issues have shown up as well.

Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:43:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like daddy gave his boy too much responsibility.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 7:15:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By OverScoped:
Sounds like daddy gave his boy too much responsibility.
View Quote

I struggle with my thoughts on the boy, I have known him since he was 12-13 yrs old. I have watched him come into the business and become one of the BEST HD wrecker, recovery and rotator operators in the country. That is a fact, not my opinion.

He is just so focused on the "towing" aspect of the industry, that he completely gives no thoughts about the HD equipment transport side of the business. The side of the business that our company dominates in in our market, due our versatility.

I love the kid like a little brother, and in fact work well with him when we are doing a job together.

But right now, he just pisses me off by not taking any advice from anyone, that clearly has a better handle on the gear our side of the business needs/uses.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top