Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2024 10:45:10 PM EDT
As some of you may recall I posted a thread awhile back on the Rolex fakes that are out there that are stunningly well copied… at least so far as on the wrist. The Sky-Dweller fake was easily detectable off wrist as the weight and general appearance were pretty spot on, but the complication was obviously very different and could not be duplicated - at least not at a price point people would likely purchase.

As you may also recall, my firm’s general counsel is also the counsel for the local Rolex AD and he is a collector himself. Easily more than a quarter million dollars in his personal Rolex collection. He was positively disgusted when he compared the fake Sky-Dweller that came into the AD and his genuine piece. He shares with me an article that said 1 in 5 “luxury watches” in NYC are fake and most of the owners are completely unaware that they’ve been taken.

So when I decided to pick up my Tudor Pelagos FXD I wasn’t going to take any chances and I purchased from Chrono24 with their escrow service and authenticity guarantee. It arrived today and here is a photo of it next to a counterfeit - on the wrist and without the ability to compare side to side, I’d say most people wouldn’t stand a chance identifying a fake. There’s a little more stutter in the second hand’s sweep compared to the genuine watch, but that’s me looking at it for 20 seconds or so up close, and it’s not THAT noticeable even on close examination.

Please be careful and purchase from sources that have escrow services and an inspection period. I’ve been very happy so far with my two transactions on Chrono24, and I believe even eBay authenticates these days and offers escrow.

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 11:00:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Master_Shake] [#1]
The Rolex copies are so good that Chinese companies are doing knock offs of the Chinenese companies that produce the super clones

VSF and Clean Factory make the best copies.

Recently people have started to receive COA's with their fakes

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 11:06:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By The_Master_Shake:
The Rolex copies are so good that Chinese companies are doing knock offs of the Chinenese companies that produce the super clones

VSF and Clean Factory make the best copies.

Recently people have started to receive COA's with their fakes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/132893/someone-got-this-from-instagram-seller-v-3176872.JPG
View Quote

Holy Shit fakes of fakes? A day late to be April Fool’s!
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 11:10:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Can we get a pic of the lug bars? I’m trying to play which is the fake with a buddy
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 11:15:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:

Holy Shit fakes of fakes? A day late to be April Fool’s!
View Quote

I think it's legit as it keeps getting posted on RepTime

I was in Bangkok the other week looking for a good clone, but I don't have the experience or eye many here do, so I'll probably order one online from a "reputable" dealer
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:04:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm betting the Left is the fake. Something just doesn't look quite right about the bezel. That's scary how identical they are though.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:37:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Surprised they could copy it that quick.  It hasn't even been around that long.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 6:22:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Judging by the strap only, I'm guessing the left is real as the 7 rows of stitching looks OEM. That said the Chinese probably stole the looms from the monks on the mountain in France whereTudor straps were made.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 7:09:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd say the one on the left is fake. Knurling on the bezel on the right looks more refined and sharper. Quality of the strap and clasp look better quality. The watch on the left has a fog about the entire thing. Man I hope I'm right.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 7:27:52 AM EDT
[#9]
There are more reps on eBay than in a Chinese warehouse.  They like the commission earned on fakes.

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 7:56:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I own a pelagos, and I'm looking at it now. I can't tell which is fake by just the picture. I would guess the left is real because of the symmetry in the velcro, but that's a huge jump. And the clones may be better than the real ones.

that said, where does one get a fake like this? My 8 year old can rock an upgrade from his seiko
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:07:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PossumKing] [#11]
I'm guessing left is fake.  Minute hand just appears to be in slightly wrong position relative to where second hand is.  Could just be the picture angle.

With that said, I like the strap on the left better.  The right strap looks fancier.

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:38:22 AM EDT
[#12]
The right one looks like the fake to me. The Pelagos lettering lacks depth. That could also just be the angle of the photo though.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:10:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HiramRanger] [#13]
forum premature post
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#14]
The left is the fake, and yes Robert, the angle probably mislead some folks. Putting them side by side and getting both framed perfectly was a challenge.

With reference to some of the other questions...

I did not know there were fakes on eBay still. I thought they cleaned that up long ago.

As to where to get, there are websites but you roll the dice and take your chances I guess. Not worth the risk. Facebook Marketplace is also full of sellers, probably preferable, and major cities will have a "China Town" where the fake market flourishes in watches, hand bags, shoes, sunglasses, etc. I have a friend in NYC who says it is alive and well. His wife has a handbag fetish and she said the high end fakes are near indistinguishable as well. As soon as companies roll out a security feature, the Chinese duplicate it. I saw one video on youTube where the laser etched coronet on Rolex crystals was actually clearer on the fake than the original.

I'm not big on reps, but seeing as this was a completely new design for me (fixed lugs) I acquired one to see if I liked how it wore. I liked it so much I promptly laid out the money for the real deal and I'm glad I did. The replica will be relegated to wearing in areas where I'm afraid of damaging the real one or where an urban resident might try to liberate it.

The replica is surprisingly good in build quality and sports a Miyota movement, so unlike a lot of fakes with questionable Chinese mass produced movements, this one should actually last awhile and a replacement movement can be sourced readily and inexpensively should it shit the bed.

I hesitated to make this thread because admitting I bought a replica here is opening one up to ridicule, but making a $4,000 investment in a new design which you're not sure you'll like was too much of a gamble for me. When I saw how close in appearance they were, I felt it important to do a comparison to make sure folks don't get taken. I've seen watch boxes and booklets for sale on eBay, and it wouldn't be hard to package the replica up and pass it off as real.

Someone asked for a picture of the lugs, I'll upload one later today.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:38:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:57:22 AM EDT
[#16]
The strap on the fake looks better than the genuine one, so that threw me at first. The Pelagos logo on the fake is obviously not right compared to the genuine watch, and the fake bezel looks off. Otherwise, the fake is pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#17]
is the left fake? There is a noticeable difference in the corners of lug holes for the strap.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:19:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Nice.

I forgot to wear a watch today.  Now I feel nekid.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:32:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By IDidThat:
is the left fake? There is a noticeable difference in the corners of lug holes for the strap.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By IDidThat:

Yes, the left is the fake.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:35:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HiramRanger] [#20]
Originally Posted By magnum_99:
The strap on the fake looks better than the genuine one, so that threw me at first. The Pelagos logo on the fake is obviously not right compared to the genuine watch, and the fake bezel looks off. Otherwise, the fake is pretty good.
View Quote

I'm not at all a fan of the olive velcro strap as I wear flannels a lot and the exposed velcro tends to collect flannel fluff. I purchased a few aftermarket single pass buckle straps that I really like. The nice thing about the FXD design is changing straps is effortless.

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#21]

I'm not at all a fan of the olive velcro strap as I wear flannels a lot and the exposed velcro tends to collect flannel fluff. I purchased a few aftermarket single pass buckle straps that I really like. The nice thing about the FXD design is changing straps is effortless.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/218/60F10E02-FB42-4A9E-9F59-8687D5ABE7D3-3177074.jpg
View Quote

They really shine on an Erika’s. To me, it’s the ultimate strap for that watch.

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:47:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By RobertL:

They really shine on an Erika’s. To me, it’s the ultimate strap for that watch.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/67156/IMG_6369-3138530.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/67156/IMG_6256-3105678.jpg
View Quote

I'm considering picking one up. I just spent $175 for a couple of Speedmaster Professional links so I'm going to be a good boy for awhile. I agree, great straps.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#23]

I'm not big on reps, but seeing as this was a completely new design for me (fixed lugs) I acquired one to see if I liked how it wore. I liked it so much I promptly laid out the money for the real deal and I'm glad I did. The replica will be relegated to wearing in areas where I'm afraid of damaging the real one or where an urban resident might try to liberate it.

The replica is surprisingly good in build quality and sports a Miyota movement, so unlike a lot of fakes with questionable Chinese mass produced movements, this one should actually last awhile and a replacement movement can be sourced readily and inexpensively should it shit the bed.

I hesitated to make this thread because admitting I bought a replica here is opening one up to ridicule, but making a $4,000 investment in a new design which you're not sure you'll like was too much of a gamble for me. When I saw how close in appearance they were, I felt it important to do a comparison to make sure folks don't get taken. I've seen watch boxes and booklets for sale on eBay, and it wouldn't be hard to package the replica up and pass it off as real.

View Quote

I suspected the left, lettering just seemed not as sharp, but damn close. Where did you purchase it at? I have a Wimbledon Datejust and have been thinking of Tudor as I cant justify the price and wait for a new Rolex, and am too nervous to purchase a used one for the reasons you mentioned. I wouldnt mind a super clone like this for the reasons you mentioned as well. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I sincerely hope you wouldn't get any flak here for posting your fake. I'd say us Gun & Watch Nerds are more laid back than Watch Nerds Only on other forums. We've all laid out too much money on multiple hobbies.
Thanks for the warning and the interesting post. It's good to see this forum getting some more activity.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By CopyRepairMan007:
I sincerely hope you wouldn't get any flak here for posting your fake. I'd say us Gun & Watch Nerds are more laid back than Watch Nerds Only on other forums. We've all laid out too much money on multiple hobbies.
Thanks for the warning and the interesting post. It's good to see this forum getting some more activity.
View Quote

I get that for some they feel the sacrifice and accomplishment their luxury watch represents are diminished by fakes. Fair enough. I’ve owned a few over the years. Always told people they were fake when asked about the watch. Always purchased when considering buying the genuine to make sure it was for me. Nearly every time I ended up purchasing the real deal as I did in this case.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By CopyRepairMan007:
View Quote

Too much money! Reported for personal attack
Attachment Attached File

I get that for some they feel the sacrifice and accomplishment their luxury watch represents are diminished by fakes. Fair enough. I’ve owned a few over the years. Always told people they were fake when asked about the watch. Always purchased when considering buying the genuine to make sure it was for me. Nearly every time I ended up purchasing the real deal as I did in this case.
View Quote

I’ve never owned a decent fake but do have an homage Seiko that looks like a rootbeer. I wanted to try the look before I considered a real version. Glad I did because it turns out I don’t like the magnifier or the GMT hand.

I assume most of the higher end watches I see in real life are fake or clones. Older guy with his shit together in a pressed shirt having dinner in the $200/plate restaurant I’m in with him? Yeah thinking that two tone sub is legit. Yesterday I saw our janitor at work pushing a dumpster with a solid yellow gold sub. Assuming it’s fake.

I don’t care and it’s cool to see people rock what they want, but follow some of the reptime or chinatime reddits and you will find clones of $45 watches are everywhere, so obviously much of the higher end is out there too.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:04:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Interesting post OP, thank you.

I bought my BB58 back when they were difficult to get.  Purchased from “watchshopping” (or something like that)

I subsequently read some less than stellar reviews and was worried I’d been had but my watch has been to RSC so I guess I got lucky.

Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#28]
What's the price difference between the copy and the real one? What's case size on that watch?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:15:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By crashburnrepeat:
What's the price difference between the copy and the real one? What's case size on that watch?
View Quote

42mm case size.

Suggested retail on the real FXD is $4,150 I believe and the fake is around $450. A little pricey, but there weren't many options to get a sense for how this watch would wear. I found something called "Tactical Frog" which looked to be close to the FXD but hard to tell. I wanted to make sure that I got as close to a sense of how it would wear as possible.

Pricey for sure for a fake, but like I said I'll still use it for situations where I don't feel comfortable wearing the real one.

And I picked up the real one off Chrono24 for $3,400 NIB with full warranty, so even with the cost of the fake factored in I'm still below what a new one would cost at an AD and the one Jomashop had for $4,150 only had a one year Jomashop warranty.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:41:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:53:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Sierra5:
Where do they sell all these super fakes as such?  I’ve seen them sold as the real deal but I guess I haven’t seen them sold openly as fakes before.
View Quote

Like I said, NYC (and I assume others) will have a "China Town" where all kinds of counterfeit goods are sold. I see them listed on Facebook rather openly with sponsored content. Facebook apparently doesn't give a shit as the money is green. There are forums out there like ARFCOM for this interest. Somebody posted previously about one called Reptime but I have never been there. Reddit also has forums dedicated to "Chinese Watches" and I'm pretty sure they are openly sold there.

Do a search for replica watches on Google and your Facebook feed will no doubt fill with them!
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Here is the article our counsel sent me on the abundance of fake watches on the market.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:19:42 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm not a watch guy at all but I've wanted a Rolex GMT Master II Red/Blue since I became a pilot. When I upgraded to Captain, that was my "present" to myself for achieving the position... I've been on the AD "list" for a while. Not being a watch or jewelry customer, I don't think I'll ever get the call. I refuse to pay the grey market price and the thought of spending all that money to end up with a fake makes me sick to my stomach. I may never get the watch but that's better than the alternative to me.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#34]

Like I said, NYC (and I assume others) will have a "China Town" where all kinds of counterfeit goods are sold. I see them listed on Facebook rather openly with sponsored content. Facebook apparently doesn't give a shit as the money is green. There are forums out there like ARFCOM for this interest. Somebody posted previously about one called Reptime but I have never been there. Reddit also has forums dedicated to "Chinese Watches" and I'm pretty sure they are openly sold there.

Do a search for replica watches on Google and your Facebook feed will no doubt fill with them!
View Quote

You can find homages and straight up fakes:
R/Reptime
R/chinesewatches

also "jason" from AliExpress is typically a solid source.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

R/Reptime
R/chinesewatches

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

R/Reptime
R/chinesewatches

"Jason"... I can't help but envision a little Asian man in a trench coat outside Grand Central Station...
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Magoo6541:
I'm not a watch guy at all but I've wanted a Rolex GMT Master II Red/Blue since I became a pilot. When I upgraded to Captain, that was my "present" to myself for achieving the position... I've been on the AD "list" for a while. Not being a watch or jewelry customer, I don't think I'll ever get the call. I refuse to pay the grey market price and the thought of spending all that money to end up with a fake makes me sick to my stomach. I may never get the watch but that's better than the alternative to me.
View Quote

Stick to people like DavidSW, Chrono24, Bob's watches, et cetera. Buy the seller not the watch.

The whole point of this thread it to avoid situations like you describe. Don't want to see anybody taken.

I don't give two shits if somebody wants to wear a fake, I just don't want anybody to buy a fake thinking it is the real thing like the customer from the AD in my other thread that bought a knockoff Sky-Dweller thinking it was real.

Spending $3k on a watch is a lot for me, and losing that would crush me. Couldn't imagine losing $15k.

Trusted sellers of legit watches and websites which guarantee authenticity and have an escrow service. Only way to go.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#37]

42mm case size.

Suggested retail on the real FXD is $4,150 I believe and the fake is around $450. A little pricey, but there weren't many options to get a sense for how this watch would wear. I found something called "Tactical Frog" which looked to be close to the FXD but hard to tell. I wanted to make sure that I got as close to a sense of how it would wear as possible.

Pricey for sure for a fake, but like I said I'll still use it for situations where I don't feel comfortable wearing the real one.

And I picked up the real one off Chrono24 for $3,400 NIB with full warranty, so even with the cost of the fake factored in I'm still below what a new one would cost at an AD and the one Jomashop had for $4,150 only had a one year Jomashop warranty.
View Quote

Years ago in college I bought a fake watch, it was terrible.

I didn't realize there were high end fakes. I like the watch but don't want a brand fake. They should just write "dive watch" on it and sell it like that..I would buy one
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#38]

I didn't realize there were high end fakes. I like the watch but don't want a brand fake. They should just write "dive watch" on it and sell it like that..I would buy one
View All Quotes

42mm case size.

Fair point, and I agree. The only other watch I saw in this style was labeled “Tactical Frog.” Hard pass!
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:20:11 PM EDT
[#39]

Fair point, and I agree. The only other watch I saw in this style was labeled “Tactical Frog.” Hard pass!
View Quote

Yeah, strange brand names are quite common on Aliexpress watches.   "Berny", "Bliger", "Benyar", "Mysterious Code", "Heimdallr", "Parnis", "Seestern", "Tactical Frog", etc!  The chinese still haven't figured out how to market to an American audience.  

Despite the odd name, the "Tactical Frog" watches appear to be very good quality for their price point. Seiko NH35 movement, sapphire crystal, etc. Not bad for $179.

Aliexpress Tactical Frog

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

$4000 Tudor FXD v $200 Tactical Frog - How Close Does The Homage Get?
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 12:20:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By pctech:

Yeah, strange brand names are quite common on Aliexpress watches.   "Berny", "Bliger", "Benyar", "Mysterious Code", "Heimdallr", "Parnis", "Seestern", "Tactical Frog", etc!  The chinese still haven't figured out how to market to an American audience.  

Despite the odd name, the "Tactical Frog" watches appear to be very good quality for their price point. Seiko NH35 movement, sapphire crystal, etc. Not bad for $179.

Aliexpress Tactical Frog

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/138981/tacticalfrog1_JPG-3178521.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/138981/tacticalfrog2_JPG-3178522.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlBhYhWBqh4
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pctech:

Aliexpress Tactical Frog

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/138981/tacticalfrog1_JPG-3178521.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/138981/tacticalfrog2_JPG-3178522.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlBhYhWBqh4

Enjoyed the video, thanks for sharing. I subscribed to his channel.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:24:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Tactical Frog cracks me up.  I want one just because the name is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 1:26:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By MPi-KMS-72:
View Quote

I agree 100%.

This thread was making me anxious thinking about all the people who may get scammed unknowingly buying a fake and now I just want a tactical frog copy of something ridiculous.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Forlorn-Hope:

I agree 100%.

This thread was making me anxious thinking about all the people who may get scammed unknowingly buying a fake and now I just want a tactical frog copy of something ridiculous.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Forlorn-Hope:
Originally Posted By MPi-KMS-72:

I agree 100%.

Now you fuckers are making me want one for the novelty... my own thread is going to cost me a fortune!
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 2:48:18 PM EDT
[#44]

Now you fuckers are making me want one for the novelty... my own thread is going to cost me a fortune!
View Quote

I got an "Octopus" brand version of a fancy/famous watch. It was a Myota movement, kept great time, etc. I have no issues with the Tactical Frog or Octopus or whatever brand, but know what you're getting into
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:15:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:30:22 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

I’ve had a green one in the cart a couple of times. They actually get decent reviews.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

If they can get me one labeled tactical frog with a Pepe logo on it, I'm in!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top