Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2024 4:14:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gtfoxy]
Running into an issue with this SunLu ABS wanting to lift compared to Bambu ABS. Some parts are real minor & it doesn’t matter, but I would like to get it sorted out.

Started with the same 90C setting that Bambu uses & it’ lifting. SunLu says up to 110C so I bumped it up to 95C & it’s still doing it.

Should I keep going in 5C increments or go slower? Anything else I should look at?

Using a BL Textured PEI. 5mm outer brim.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:11:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:08:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:
Enclosed printer I assume?

Yes, bring the bed temp up. Make sure parts fan is off
View Quote

Yeah, X1C. I also have a fiberglass mat I place on the top when printing ABS  to keep heat in a little more.

When I’m doing really long prints I’ll turn on a radiant heater in the room & run it up to almost 80*.

Pretty sure all the fans are off, at least I know hey we’re in the BL ABS settings. I’ll check that.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:15:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By gtfoxy:

Yeah, X1C. I also have a fiberglass mat I place on the top when printing ABS  to keep heat in a little more.

When I’m doing really long prints I’ll turn on a radiant heater in the room & run it up to almost 80*.

Pretty sure all the fans are off, at least I know hey we’re in the BL ABS settings. I’ll check that.
View Quote

I've found that the Bambu has a rather high Z offset, and I'm not sure if it can be adjusted. Even a perfectly clean sheet and ASA lifts off as well. Never had that issue on a perfectly clean sheet. I may even need to use helper disc's. Eek.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

I've found that the Bambu has a rather high Z offset, and I'm not sure if it can be adjusted. Even a perfectly clean sheet and ASA lifts off as well. Never had that issue on a perfectly clean sheet. I may even need to use helper disc's. Eek.
View Quote

In one of the firmware updates this past year a bunch of users (not everyone though) started to report bed adhesion issues on the textured plates (both the older black and newer gold ones).  Through testing and such it was suggested to go into the machine start g-code section and adjust the offset on the textured plate line.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:03:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By tnertb:

In one of the firmware updates this past year a bunch of users (not everyone though) started to report bed adhesion issues on the textured plates (both the older black and newer gold ones).  Through testing and such it was suggested to go into the machine start g-code section and adjust the offset on the textured plate line.
View Quote

Did they mention how much to drop? I may try some calibrations.

PLA and PETG are both perfect. I print 99% PETG and I have zero issues with that, even huge prints.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:33:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tholo] [#6]
I print abs at 105 c on my x1c
Almost all my abs is atomic brand
Also, I'll turn the bed on at least 10 to 15 minutes before printing to bring the chamber temp up to 35 c
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Did they mention how much to drop? I may try some calibrations.

PLA and PETG are both perfect. I print 99% PETG and I have zero issues with that, even huge prints.
View Quote

Holy crap who knew searching for bed adhesion issues would turn 87X million other results than what I was looking for.

but I did find one source of it being discussed.

https://forum.bambulab.com/t/x1-adhesion-issues-fixed/66221

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#8]
100c

More squish.  Get that thing in close.  Abs likes it tight.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:27:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Running another part this morning 250mm long x 4mmH x 25mmW at 100C. See how it goes.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Antilock Brakes?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh. Consider switching to ASA instead. Much better in every way.
View Quote

It’s on my list to try.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:56:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh. Consider switching to ASA instead. Much better in every way.
View Quote

I mean. Not EVERY way. ABS still has better impact strength and at least in my experience better layer strength.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#14]

I mean. Not EVERY way. ABS still has better impact strength and at least in my experience better layer strength.
View Quote

I'm with Obsessed - ASA blows in several ways compared to ABS.  Layer adhesion in ABS significantly better than ASA in every brand i've ever tried.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:12:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 12:26:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Layerneer ... $22

Lifting on ABS is a non issue and I also "scuffed" my textured PEI sheet with some 0000 wool briefly.

Clean with 90%+ isopropyl after hot soapy water.

Some ABS filaments leave shit behind.

I have a heated chamber, which does help
I print at 100c for my bed temp. I use a brim on some of the more complex/larger parts.

No cooling on first 4 layers, and then only 10-15% fan if I want  it looking nice. Bedslingers can sometimes print better with no fan at all (since the bed movement is actually "cooling" as it moves")
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:51:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gtfoxy] [#17]
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Yesterday went better. I didn’t get any lifting, even though some of the parts did get a little warping from cooling contraction, which for these pieces isn’t a big deal.

I did redesign one to eliminate tension risers in the middle of the part by putting that tension to the outsides.

I have some pieces that I had going over night I need to check that last time had some lifting.

Now my other issue, that has been going on for a month or so, is I am getting this white/ grayish discoloration on the plate side. It’s very noticeable on black, obviously, & I don’t know what’s causing it.

At first I thought it was from residue left from some grey ABS, but it does it in both sides of the plate, & I only used one side when I did the parts in grey.

I’ve cleaned it repeatedly with all the usual methods & nothing has helped. I’m down to just ordering some new plates at this point.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:33:44 AM EDT
[#18]
That witness on the bottom layer with a PEI sheet is normal with certain filaments. I always wipe it down with 99% ISO before printing. It doesn't bother me on most prints. You might be able to remove it with a light acetone wipe.

I am in the camp for the textured PEI sheets. I have to pry large parts off the build plate despite it being flexible. I am unfamiliar with the Bambu hardware slicer for the z height settings. I override the auto leveling z height settings in the firmware but setting it manually with feeler gauges. I run the first layer down to .2-.25mm.

For long running ASA/ABS prints I run the build plate hot at 105-110c for the first 5 layers then gradually back it down as the build height increases until It is running 90-95c.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 12:27:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By TODD-67:
That witness on the bottom layer with a PEI sheet is normal with certain filaments. I always wipe it down with 99% ISO before printing. It doesn't bother me on most prints. You might be able to remove it with a light acetone wipe.

I am in the camp for the textured PEI sheets. I have to pry large parts off the build plate despite it being flexible. I am unfamiliar with the Bambu hardware slicer for the z height settings. I override the auto leveling z height settings in the firmware but setting it manually with feeler gauges. I run the first layer down to .2-.25mm.

For long running ASA/ABS prints I run the build plate hot at 105-110c for the first 5 layers then gradually back it down as the build height increases until It is running 90-95c.
View Quote

I’ve cleaned with Dawn & Isop, I even tried a copper scrub pad. Nothing helps.

After it started doing it it’s with all brand filaments. The roll it started on I had printed numerous parts without it happening. That was Inland ABS. Thinking it was a filament issue I printed some parts with Bambu ABS that was fine before & it did the same thing.

Now I’m running SunLu, & BL, & they both exhibit the discoloration. It’s also all over the plate, but in big blotches, so some of the surface is effected, while others not,.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:51:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I've fooled around with aftermarket plates, and gone back to bambu.
My favorite for almost everything is the engineering plate, followed by the cool plate for PLA. I also have the black bambu textured plate.
All of them are better than the aftermarket plates from Amazon.
I used one of the aftermarket plates as a host for a new cool plate sheet, and that's nice to have.

I had a good aftermarket plate on my ender 5, that was reliable and put a neat carbon fiber pattern on my parts. I cant find the same one again.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:59:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tholo] [#21]
Saw a YouTube short about the white marks on the bottom.
Way too early to embed a short

I haven't tried this. I have noticed blotches like that on the bottom of some prints.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:00:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Tholo:

I haven't tried this. I have noticed blotches like that on the bottom of some prints.
View Quote

I’m not picky. Simple link works for me. Actually prefer it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:26:56 AM EDT
[#23]

I'm not picky. Simple link works for me. Actually prefer it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Looks like I failed that too. Not sure I could find it again.

Basically clean any glue off the bottom, then he passed a propane blow torch across to slightly remelt "microstrings".
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:01:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gtfoxy] [#24]

Basically clean any glue off the bottom, then he passed a propane blow torch across to slightly remelt "microstrings".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Some of the shorts are a PITA to find. I have a specific one for Minecraft, that for some reason I’m not smart enough to bookmark when I find it for the last few years, but it usually takes me an hr of searching to find it. Then I need to watch about 10 seconds into it to get what I need.

Finally I just took pics of the the pertinent part.

I ordered a few more Tex plates. It would be nice if they would finally get the others in stock.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:11:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gtfoxy] [#25]
Update on the discoloration: Recieved new plates & ran one & it’s still doing it.

Any ideas on what is going on?

https://imgur.com/a/BKiMPcF
Link Posted: Yesterday 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: Yesterday 2:04:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gtfoxy] [#27]
That is normal for abs and Asa
View Quote

What is causing it & why didn’t it do this when I first started doing black ABS? Also, why only some parts of the plate & not others?

The pattern is pretty discernible on parts printed in the same location on the plate.

Add: Did some more searching on the issue, & apparently it a form of micro-cracking. Fix is to run a hair dryer, or heat gun, over the part.

Tried it with a heat gun & they vanished. Stoked!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top