Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2024 8:12:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bologna]
I've been to pick and pull a few times lately getting a few parts, usually the previous owners don't clear their junk out of the car before sending it off obviously.  Has any found anything under the seats or in the trunk of a junk car?

A friend of mine claims to have found an iPod and cash before.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#1]
As a kid I ooved roaming the junkyard with my dad. I’d raid center consoles and glove boxes for coins and make out like a bandit.
Not junkyard, but as someone who use to install car sound systems for a living, Ive removed a LOT of back seate and have found untold varieties of stuff from used condoms to unopened vintage candies.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:18:48 PM EDT
[#2]
It's crazy what people leave inside wrecked/totaled cars.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:24:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Usually just handfuls of change, cheap tools, pocket knives,  half eaten fast food.

Got a real nice aluminum CM chain puller once, and a gold wedding band.  Still waiting to find a gun.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:25:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I don’t look for junk in cars , look for very old junkyards that are in the stix, problem is you have to know what to hunt for
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I went searching for dash and trim parts for a 67 Chevy truck I had no found a complete county work truck in a local junk yard. Behind the seat was a box with about 50 blasting caps and about 20 feet of fuse.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:31:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kiju] [#6]
Couple of Ebrake controllers with harnesses, several sets of ear buds, inyding some apple and JBL sets, LOTS of LED drop in bulbs for lights, rings, money (mostly change), several pocket knives, including a SpiderCo "Laurer", other stuff... including some very nice speakers @$5/each...
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:40:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I worked several years at used car lots, gopher, detailer, then sales.

Most everything you could find I ran across.

I have grabbed all kinds of stuff, but I found a ww2 private purchase knuckle knife, twenty five years later traded for a Randall #14.
The knife was cool, but it didn't fit my hand, so I traded with a member here.

Lots of subs, amps, stereos, tapes, CDs, lots of loaded mags, tons of shotgun shells, random quarts of oil..tools, jacks...
Drugs, love letters, panties, jewelry, .....
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife.

Not kidding.
Her Dad owned a salvage/junkyard.
She was a mid 1950s model that I couldn't resist, so I took her home with me.
Still have her after 50+ years.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:42:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FullOtto:
My wife.

Not kidding.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Lots of tools under carpets, under hoods.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:45:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CastleBravo91] [#11]
Found a giant chunk of obsidian in a dump pile of mostly broken concrete and gravel rocks. No freaking clue how it got there, but I kept it. Felt like Andy Dufraine for a moment. Actually started looking around, thinking it may have been a geo cache site, didn't find anything.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#12]
A buddy of mine buys cars, fixes them and sells them. He bought a Honda civic and the passenger window wouldn’t operate. He figured the electric motor was burned out. As he pulled the interior door off there was a kilo of blow in there. It had a scorpion on the package.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Back in the day I was in a Dodge Stratus pulling the center console out. This car has been in a front end wreck and the windshield was smashed. There was long hair with dried blood in the inside of the car in a few places. I suspect the passenger hit her head on the windshield but I don't know for sure. Anyways I was removing the passenger seat so I could access the center console screws and I found a gold bracelet with long bloody hair on it under the seat.  At first I was not going to take it but If I don't take it someone else will. I picked it up by using pages from the car's owners manual as a makeshift paper towel and wrapped it in more pages before putting it in my pocket.  I searched that car high and low for any other valuables but I didn't find any.

Other time I have found a center console chock full of used hypodermic needles. Yeah I passed on that one.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Brassrainbows:
A buddy of mine buys cars, fixes them and sells them. He bought a Honda civic and the passenger window wouldn’t operate. He figured the electric motor was burned out. As he pulled the interior door off there was a kilo of blow in there. It had a scorpion on the package.
View Quote

You gotta finish the story.  What the devil happened to the cocaine. Did anyone ever find out what organisation the scorpion represents?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:08:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Found a box of 40 S&W in a wrecked animal control truck few loose rounds too.
Don't have a 40 so I gave it to a buddy. It all went bang.

Fire hydrant in the back seat of a subaru

Lots of kenwood speakers in caddys maybe factory? No idea but seems every Brougham I looked in had them.

Flipped them for good loot.

Found a 4-11 posi rear too.

Air horn off a tractor trailer hooked it up to the air compressor just for fun lol.

Not much else worth mentioning haven't been to the bone yard in probably 3 years.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Got a pair of Yukon hubs $$. Found several sets of quick release cross bar brackets.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:12:27 PM EDT
[#17]
My destiny.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I went to a junk yard looking for one of those little connectors that tied the radio antenna of an 80’s Chevy truck to the windshield and found two of them.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:17:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Interesting find at Monster Joe's junkyard, young guy name Marvin I believe, somehow was squeezed into a compacted auto. A Mr. Wolf recommended Mr. Monster Joe's establishment, stated Mr. Joe would be sympathetic to my predicament, should I be in need of said services.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Gen 4 Glock 19C in the case.

A prosthetic leg

Filson bag

Bunch of shit over the years
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:25:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Horse-Power:

A prosthetic leg

Filson bag

View Quote

2nd place winner after the wife finder.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:28:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: paul463] [#22]
Originally Posted By Horse-Power:

A prosthetic leg

Filson bag

View Quote

That reminds me, we have a caddy behind the shop with a arm with the claw gripper.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:32:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: prebans] [#23]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:35:23 PM EDT
[#24]
A bag of weed.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:40:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Found a dead guy once too!

He was in an urn but still
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:41:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: timeless] [#26]
Originally Posted By TheLookingGlass:

You gotta finish the story.  What the devil happened to the cocaine. Did anyone ever find out what organisation the scorpion represents?
View Quote

The stamps are to know who produced the batch for the cartel so they get paid without putting their name on it.
-From something I read about.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:47:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BM1455] [#27]
I remember when my brother and I had our first cars we would go junk yard scavenging for cool parts for it.  Showed up to one junk yard in Massachusetts to find they had just taken in a full standard gauge steam locomotive. At first I was worried they would actually cut the thing up but I think it was later sold to a museum in NH maybe.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#28]
I found a bag of weed, some meth, many many CDs, ammo, game boy games, tools, brand new emblems hidden by factory Assembly line people, jewelry, sunglasses, etc.

LOTS of change.

Even some car parts.

Best score ever was a wheelbarrow full of snap on tools. The meth heads carting it around were taking something off a car and a cop came into the yard and arrested them. They'd stolen a white Ranger the day before, and the owner of the Ranger had been driving by and spotted it in the parking lot.

Once I heard the story, I took the tools out to the cops and turned them in.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:03:16 PM EDT
[#29]
My buddies son worked in the yard cleaning out incoming cars for a couple years. I don't think he found too much neat stuff.

If I ever find a gun in the yard in a car, I'm keeping it. I did find a neat blank gun once, and a friend found a $100 stainless steel pen that I just remembered.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:07:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By CannonKrazy:
I went searching for dash and trim parts for a 67 Chevy truck I had no found a complete county work truck in a local junk yard. Behind the seat was a box with about 50 blasting caps and about 20 feet of fuse.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:08:12 PM EDT
[#31]
French Fry fossils.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:10:04 PM EDT
[#32]
A hundred dollar bill. Random tools .
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:14:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By TheLookingGlass:

View Quote

Well, we may or may not have been flying around on a magic carpet, winking at people with glass eye. It was wild summer!  I have no idea what the scorpion meant.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:59:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Erma m1 carbine In 22lr

Mossberg 22

Lots of snap on tools.

Lawn Boy fly mo.   Got it to run but not quite right.

Stihl 011
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:06:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Yep.  A big nest of Guinea or red wasps.  Every.  Fucking.  Time.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:06:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Family history: Grandfather found a 1911 ( WWI vintage) in a salvage yard whilst getting parts for one of his vehicles. This was after WWI and before WWII. Vehicle supposedly was from K.C. area.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:01:30 AM EDT
[#37]
A friend used to go to his town's dump on the weekends and grab the big-ticket items people were dropping off.  He'd repair them and sell them.  Usually it was something stupid like a broken power switch, with nothing else wrong.  If it was anything major he could always drop the thing back off.

I went with one time and got a pretty good bicycle that I kept for about a decade, only problem it had was that someone had tightened a screw down to the point that the gear shifter wouldn't work.

Originally Posted By FullOtto:
My wife.

Not kidding.
View Quote

Wow, how much did the yard charge you for that?!
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:32:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stickfigure] [#38]
I find lot's of money, 99% of the time it's loose change (especially with change holders), lot's of clothes, work jackets/hoodies, surplus camo/bdu's, sunglasses!, backpacks, loose ammo, tools (shovels, tire irons, hammers, pliers, screw drivers), flashlights, blankets, jumper cables, road flares, tool boxes, tarps, weapons (mostly knives, bats, hatchets, etc.) found a pink ASP baton a few months ago, multi-tools, CDs, cassettes, bowls, spoons, cups, glasses and lots of metal mugs and bottles. Camping gear, sleeping bags, tents, stoves, pots, cups, propane bottles. Weed paraphernalia, lots of stashed or lost pipes, weed containers.

I'm really good at finding things, I find tools, knives, etc,...everywhere, especially on roads and streets, in the woods.  I would actually say I have a knack, really a gift for it and have always been known amoungst family and friends to always luck into randomly finding something useful or valuable often, like at least weekly if not daily, no bullshit. In fact Saturday driving down the interstate I pointed out to my Dad my daily find. I wasn't going to stop for it though, pulling a trailer, it was a brand new aluminum scoop shovel, shiny, aluminum handle...so tempting just waiting for me to pull over and grab it.

I have found 1 gun an SKS. I once worked in an incinerator, Summer of 1997 I found an SKS in the trash, barrel bent, it looked like it went through a fire and had been purposefully destroyed.

Oh and lastly, lots of shitty stereo systems.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:51:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: merick] [#39]
Saw a wrecked van that had the back filled with motorcycle trophies.

Another time I was wrenching arround on dashboard when a toy doll behind the seat decided to activate its electronic noise maker.  I about crapped.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:04:42 AM EDT
[#40]
I was at a junkyard years ago and had just got there and was about to go in when this guy pulled up next to me with 76 Bronco on a trailer . All original uncut , pretty damn nice . So I ask him what hes doing with it and he is going to roll it across the scales ! I ask him what he would take for it , 600$ bucks . Ill take it . The guys from the office in the junkyard make their way out there as we are finishing up the deal. They were fucking pissed . The damned thing ran and drove just fine . Right place , right time .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top