Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:08:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Russia and China learned a lot about missile defense.  that's probably worth suckering the mullahs into looking like the incompetent loudmouth bully on the playground.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:18:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been curious to see how well Israel could sneak over Jordan into Iran with their F35s. Perhaps we shall find out. They sure did a hell of an op with their F16s years ago. Just curious to see how much sneakier they can be with F35s.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:35:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Obviously this operation was to get the optics of a reprisal for the domestic crowd of Iran. Something firey to put on TV to show they fought back.

Pretty telling about the true state of affairs when Iran is intentionally pulling punches in their retaliation to keep WW3 from breaking out while our allies and neocons are begging for more death and destruction.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:36:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Red_Label:
I've been curious to see how well Israel could sneak over Jordan into Iran with their F35s. Perhaps we shall find out. They sure did a hell of an op with their F16s years ago. Just curious to see how much sneakier they can be with F35s.
View Quote
I thought that they posted a picture of an F35, taken from another F35 over Tehran a few years ago.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:39:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Drsalee:
Persians don’t get embarrassed
View Quote

If they could be embarrassed, they'd use deodorant.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:02:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By torstin:
The aren't embarrassed. The whole event was coordinated by the White House and Iran was compensated handsomely. Iran probably would not even have planned an attack until the US presented the idea.
View Quote

It’s stupid shit like this that shows me just how dumb some people are.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:01:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Banditman:

Those were shot from Iraq to the US base in Iraq
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Banditman:
Originally Posted By Cypher214:
It's no different than the time we slap-chopped an Iranian General and their response was to hit some empty areas of a U.S. base in Iraq.

Those were shot from Iraq to the US base in Iraq

And?  Iran took credit.

It was a face-saving "show of force" for internal optics, nothing more.  Same thing with the "attack" on Israel.

At this point, I'm convinced Iran asks permission from the U.S. before making any military moves and that's why Biden keeps sending them billions.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:06:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Lexustech48:
Anyone know if the Russian S-400 and S-500 are any good?
View Quote

It depends on what you are flying. Kites are easy targets.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:11:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Cypher214:

And?  Iran took credit.

It was a face-saving "show of force" for internal optics, nothing more.  Same thing with the "attack" on Israel.

At this point, I'm convinced Iran asks permission from the U.S. before making any military moves and that's why Biden keeps sending them billions.
View Quote

Trump has said as much in a recent interview with Maria Bartiromo.  It was all about not appearing weak, it was just an expensive fireworks display.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By shblackdragon:

I've seen estimates they have over 3000 ready to go, that makes 120 missiles a pretty small strike.  They launched for just 5h, then called a lid.  

If they wanted to go hot, they could have hit a LOT harder.

But they are dominating ME via proxy fights, and by ME I mean biden's retarded ME foreign policy, so why would they want to go hot and increase their risk?
View Quote

Wayment. If we sent less than 0% of our stockpiles somewhere we're "critically short and putting our war fighting ability at risk".

If they do it they "could have struck a lot harder".

Intredasting
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:08:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TLD05:
Obviously this operation was to get the optics of a reprisal for the domestic crowd of Iran. Something firey to put on TV to show they fought back.

Pretty telling about the true state of affairs when Iran is intentionally pulling punches in their retaliation to keep WW3 from breaking out while our allies and neocons are begging for more death and destruction.
View Quote

I'm starting to think they the good guys and the government we support with our passive submission and tax dollars is the true evil in the world.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:09:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By DarkStar:

Trump has said as much in a recent interview with Maria Bartiromo.  It was all about not appearing weak, it was just an expensive fireworks display.

View Quote

and out tax dollars paid for both sides.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:43:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AR4U:
Just swarm them with smaller,  cheaper drones.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AR4U:
Originally Posted By Coffin-Nail:
Wait till someone like China makes these cheap Kamikaze drones at scale and we're having to expend several hundred thousand dollar missiles against thousands of couple hundred dollar drones. It's not something that scales up in our favor imo.
Just swarm them with smaller,  cheaper drones.

And who would make those with what chips? Perhaps in time we can come up with cost effective countermeasures but that's something we could be facing in months with solutions that could take years to develop. Unless we have some massive drone manufacturer based in the US I'm unaware of. I could see Taiwan spinning something up but they'd likely be the first target from China.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Ask the VC
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By iwouldntknow:

View All Quotes

We seized billions from Iran, not the US taxpayers. That's what Mr Potato head is releasing back to fund the terrorists.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:52:33 AM EDT
[#16]

We seized billions from Iran, not the US taxpayers. That's what Mr Potato head is releasing back to fund the terrorists.
View All Quotes

Excuse me sir. This is GD. We don't have time to ruminate on the fact that this is what unraveling the US as world police looks like.

Tldr: more outrage, less thought. Thank you for your compliance.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:59:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: _Nataraja_] [#17]
The amount of full retard in this thread is astonishing, even for GD.

Hitting ~350 targets in under an hour across nearly every spectrum of aerial vehicle (ICBMs being the notable exception, but in terms of defense there isn't much difference between ICBM and MRBM) with a coordinated international defense is an event that changed modern warfare. Most of you don't realize it, but it did. If you look at it compared to UA (the next best comparison) this is another universe.

I'm not going to explain in detail why, because it's obvious that for far too many posters it's way beyond the level of education and basic comprehension. I will say- Hitting a salvo of 2-3 mrbms alone between a few coordinated pieces in an Aegis system was a monumental win only 7-10ish years ago. ETA: And I'm talking about a controlled, rehearsed "test" in perfect conditions. This used multiple defense systems, coordinated over a huge geographic area, tracking targets individually with wildly different flight envelopes, across at least 3 different militaries and 5 different countries. Seriously, if you can't wrap your head around what happened then stop posting here and go educate yourself a little before posting.

IRGC threw almost everything they had Israel. There is no arguing that. They are deeply embarrassed. Their current defense against a counter-attack is the typical terrorist defense: Hide behind civilians. They are maintaining their airspace open when they know full well an attack could come at any minute. They know very well whatever the retaliation is, in terms of damage, it will be magnatudes greater than what they accomplished. Iran's only hope is a political win or net neutral. They might have already achieved that because far too much of the world, including posters here, are just too wimpy and woke. The people of Iran are on the verge of a full on revolution. They are exceptionally "tired" of the IRGC, and Israel needs to play it's cards right to further embarrass the IRGC, but also show support to the actual people of Iran. Jordan, Egypt, and Saudi are actively engaged in the political side of this.

Israel will retaliate. They hold grudges. They hold grudges for thousands of years. Love it or hate it, your opinion doesn't matter. That's part of the Israeli ethos and they believe it essential to their very survival, end of story.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:04:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Economics.

$10k drone v. $1 mil missile.  Just like what the Iranians told the Houthis to do against the missiles the USN was shooting down.  Pretty soon the $1 mil missile shooter will run out of ducats.  

Now throw in what Hezbollah is preparing to launch.  No more Iron Dome b/c it's too expensive.

Israel economy stops when there's war.  That's why Israel likes quick wars but Hamas (and Hezbollah) have a longer term strategy (attrition and Stalingrad).
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:05:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Drsalee:
Persians don’t get embarrassed
View Quote

Xerxes would like a word.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:08:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By _Nataraja_:
The amount of full retard in this thread is astonishing, even for GD.

Hitting ~350 targets in under an hour across nearly every spectrum of aerial vehicle (ICBMs being the notable exception, but in terms of defense there isn't much difference between ICBM and MRBM) with a coordinated international defense is an event that changed modern warfare. Most of you don't realize it, but it did. If you look at it compared to UA (the next best comparison) this is another universe.

I'm not going to explain in detail why, because it's obvious that for far too many posters it's way beyond the level of education and basic comprehension. I will say- Hitting a salvo of 2-3 mrbms alone between a few coordinated pieces in an Aegis system was a monumental win only 7-10ish years ago. This used multiple defense systems, coordinated over a huge geographic area, tracking targets individually with wildly different flight envelopes, across at least 3 different militaries. Seriously, if you can't wrap your head around what happened then stop posting here and go educate yourself a little before posting.

IRGC threw almost everything they had Israel. There is no arguing that. They are deeply embarrassed. Their current defense against a counter-attack is the typical terrorist defense: Hide behind civilians. They are maintaining their airspace open when they know full well an attack could come at any minute. They know very well whatever the retaliation is, in terms of damage, it will be magnatudes greater than what they accomplished. Iran's only hope is a political win or net neutral. They might have already achieved that because far too much of the world, including posters here, are just too wimpy and woke. The people of Iran are on the verge of a full on revolution. They are exceptionally "tired" of the IRGC, and Israel needs to play it's cards right to further embarrass the IRGC, but also show support to the actual people of Iran. Jordan, Egypt, and Saudi are actively engaged in the political side of this.

Israel will retaliate. They hold grudges. They hold grudges for thousands of years. Love it or hate it, your opinion doesn't matter. That's part of the Israeli ethos and they believe it essential to their very survival, end of story.

View Quote

That is very well articulated.
You summed up what I am trying to say very well.  Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:11:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By PanzerOfDoom:

They’re pretty good at shooting down Russian aircraft.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PanzerOfDoom:
Originally Posted By Lexustech48:
Anyone know if the Russian S-400 and S-500 are any good?

They’re pretty good at shooting down Russian aircraft.

To be fair, they are pretty good at shooting down anything in the air.

Own goals are still a win in Russia.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:14:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Riter:
Economics.

$10k drone v. $1 mil missile.  Just like what the Iranians told the Houthis to do against the missiles the USN was shooting down.  Pretty soon the $1 mil missile shooter will run out of ducats.  

Now throw in what Hezbollah is preparing to launch.  No more Iron Dome b/c it's too expensive.

Israel economy stops when there's war.  That's why Israel likes quick wars but Hamas (and Hezbollah) have a longer term strategy (attrition and Stalingrad).
View Quote

What is this, 90s missile prices?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:15:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Tengo1:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tengo1:
Originally Posted By torstin:
The aren't embarrassed. The whole event was coordinated by the White House and Iran was compensated handsomely. Iran probably would not even have planned an attack until the US presented the idea.

What's the difference between a conspiracy theory and reality?

About 6 weeks.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:20:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By RocketmanOU:

I have met a number of very smart Iranian engineers and scientists. Underestimating Iranians because of their nationality would be a silly mistake.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By L_JE:
Back of the envelope estimate is something like 50 to 100 tons of high explosives in those salvos.

Without nearly omniscient surveillance capabilities, you'd never know this stuff was inbound.

You would be foolish to think that Iran sucks.  Reality is that we, in conjunction with Israel, are steps ahead of them.  For now.  

If they don't have functioning nuclear weapons, it's only because they have chosen not to have them.  Syria would have had sufficient fissile material by 2011, had the Israelis not intervened.

Warfare doesn't sit still.  

People don't stop wanting you dead just because you choose not to think about them.

I have met a number of very smart Iranian engineers and scientists. Underestimating Iranians because of their nationality would be a silly mistake.
Ukraine, Russia, South Korea, Iran and France, respectively, round out the Top 5 for annual engineering graduates, per capita.

The United States is a distant ... 9th place.  Mexico is 8th.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:44:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Ukraine, Russia, South Korea, Iran and France, respectively, round out the Top 5 for annual engineering graduates, per capita.

View All Quotes
Back of the envelope estimate is something like 50 to 100 tons of high explosives in those salvos.

Without nearly omniscient surveillance capabilities, you'd never know this stuff was inbound.

You would be foolish to think that Iran sucks.  Reality is that we, in conjunction with Israel, are steps ahead of them.  For now.  

If they don't have functioning nuclear weapons, it's only because they have chosen not to have them.  Syria would have had sufficient fissile material by 2011, had the Israelis not intervened.

Warfare doesn't sit still.  

People don't stop wanting you dead just because you choose not to think about them.

I get multiple requests for graduate student positions from Iranian prospective students ever single day.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:15:23 AM EDT
[#26]
As someone said in the big thread'

Looks like Iran is now in the FO stage of FAFO
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:28:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Yeah but the F35 ain't got legs and israel has no ability to strike iran. I learned it in GD.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:12:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DvlDog] [#28]
The impressive thing about the iranian attack was the volume and the speed with which the iranians were able to regenerate. That is the REAL message they sent. Within 48 hrs of the attack they had all that and more ready to go again.
 They were trying to show that they put out massive waves with a short regeneration period. The message was heard loud and clear. While people with laymans perspective are thinking how badass it is that us/we/them stopped them all, the people who plan this shit are alarmed because iran showed they can overwhelm the system.

Israel will retaliate. The plans been rubber stamped and interestingly, Jordan seems to want a piece of it. Strange times we live in.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:27:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Thrasymachus:
Iran wasn't exactly trying hard.
View Quote

yeah right, that's probably the best they had.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:21:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cincinnatus] [#30]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top