Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Could have leaked out of the shrader valve!  Check it for leaks, put some spit over it and see if it makes a bubble.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:33:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 13Joker:

If you can hear the pump either it's not very deep, it's one noisy SOB or you have the world's best hearing.

The contacts in the pressure switch could also be corroded causing bad connections that result in erratic switching.  Turn the power off then run an emery board or emery paper folded over back and forth a few times in between the contacts.  Then see if the problem persists.
View Quote

This.
That’s always the first thing I check.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure if this would cause your symptoms but I frequently have to clean my pressure switch due to sediment/calcium build up. I notice my pressure drops off and the pump cycles more frequently due to the switch incorrectly reading the pressure.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:04:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:

This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
Originally Posted By 13Joker:

If you can hear the pump either it's not very deep, it's one noisy SOB or you have the world's best hearing.

The contacts in the pressure switch could also be corroded causing bad connections that result in erratic switching.  Turn the power off then run an emery board or emery paper folded over back and forth a few times in between the contacts.  Then see if the problem persists.

This.

Definitely not this.  The pump is cycling as it should be.  Bad points or connections ain't gonna affect when the switch cycles.  
I'd guess he's hearing the pipe vibration when the pump runs.  
Random pump run cycles could be caused by a water softener regen cycle.  
Check the air valve under water pressure.  Turn off water and drain lines and check again.  If it ain't spewing water, add air and forget about it.  If it's spewing water, add air and plan to replace the tank soon.
If the pump cycles with all water turned off beyond the pressure tank, you probably have a slow leak.  I'd suspect a bad check valve down in the well or a cracked pipe inside the well.

With the exception of erratic pump cycling, my system works very similar to what OP is describing, low cut-in pressure, cycles every time we flush toilet.  I'll check air pressure and add more air when when it becomes more obnoxious.  
I'm pretty certain we have constricted screens at most fixtures and probably weak pressure switch response caused by dirt and buildup.  Have bypassed our softener because it failed after just a few years.
Our water comes from a developed spring, not a well.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:20:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 100' submersible about 30 yards from the house.  If TV is off, I can hear it run.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:26:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:49:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Water logged
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TEXASROOTERSBROTHER:
Water logged
View Quote

Water logged will reach a balance. The diaphragm is damaged, so the whole tank holds water. You won't see a pressure drop repeatedly.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:
Put in the biggest pressure tank you can physically fit. Gives a reserve of potable water in a power outage and reduces wear on the pump.
View Quote

Amen.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:59:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Walkure:

You are probably assuming he has a submersible pump. If you have a jet pump, as I do, you will definitely hear it.
View Quote

He said it was in the ground, so yes I assumed a submersible. Maybe I misunderstood, a jet pump would be audible.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:02:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ponykilr] [#13]
OP, you did it correctly.

The fact that your system didn't drop pressure overnight seems to show that you do not have a leak.

You depressurized the system and set your tank at 28psi. This made things better so now monitor it to see if it slowly reverts to its old ways.

When bladders go bad the air will slowly dissolve into water and disappear.

Pressure tanks and switches have a lifespan. Eventually they fail.

Manufacturers recommend draining the system, checking the tank pressure and correcting it yearly.

It is HARD on the pump if the tank is bad. A pump can continuously run and be fine but rapid cycling will kill them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:28:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Burnsy:
I lost no pressure over night and my water softener indicated no water use over night.  Today I tested the shrader value while everything was on and it showed like 60psi.  No water came out, just tested normal like a tire would. I killed the power and drained the pressure tank.  I then tested the pressure again at the shrader valve and got no reading.  Tried several times but got nothin.

Confirmed bad tank?
View Quote

Tanks aren’t that expensive. Just replace it. Also, don’t oversize it. Flexcon makes a good tank with their Challenger line.

Challenger
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:28:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Duck_Hunt:
A pressure tank with a ruptured bladder won’t cause your pump to kick on when you aren’t using water.  You have a leak somewhere.

With a bad tank bladder the pump will kick on as soon as you use water, as the tank is unable to hold the pressure.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:14:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Explain to me how a big pressure tank is a bad thing??
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 1975:

Tanks aren't that expensive. Just replace it. Also, don't oversize it. Flexcon makes a good tank with their Challenger line.

Challenger

Explain to me how a big pressure tank is a bad thing??

Only possible issue I could see is if you well doesn't have the capacity to run long enough to fill up a big tank. In reality it should extend the life of the pump as well, less cycles.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top