Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2024 1:30:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NWRed]
Ive got an item I'm trying to have made and the shop with the cheapest quote wants me to make a couple minor changes to make it easier for them to make. I'd like to duplicate their suggestions and have a couple prototypes 3d printed before I commit to having some machined.

I have no idea how to modify the file and I'm looking for someone to help me out - cash, a thank you card, heartfelt gratitude are all on the table.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 1:43:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Post in the request thread if you would like someone to help you.  

Otherwise, Fusion360 or OnShape are both free for hobbyists and can import .STEP files if you are interested in doing it yourself.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By scul:
Post in the request thread if you would like someone to help you.  

Otherwise, Fusion360 or OnShape are both free for hobbyists and can import .STEP files if you are interested in doing it yourself.
View Quote

I posted in the thread and signed up for the free OnShape and am lost so far
Probably be a lot more efficient for me to find someone who can easily change the files, than for me to learn how to use the software at this point
Thanks for the suggestions, it's appreciated
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#3]
How was the part designed in the first place? I can take a look at it for you, I am also a machinist and can recommend some design for manufacturability changes.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 2:54:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m200maker] [#4]
If you have a friend with solid works, they can just change the file extension and save as. .STP or .STEP. .STP was the extension for some CMM software at one point.

Try it in your software. Who knows it might be that simple.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By m200maker:
If you have a friend with solid works, they can just change the file extension and save as. .STP or .STEP. .STP was the extension for some CMM software at one point.

Try it in your software. Who knows it might be that simple.
View Quote

I can open the file in OnShape, but I dont know how to isolate the areas I need tweaked and no clue on how to correctly use the tools. I gave it a shot,  but I'm way outside of my lane on this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top